Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Sonic HAS succeeded in meta humor before. You guys probably don't like this series, but critics and some fans have praised Sonic Boom (more specifically season 2) because of its fourth wall breaking humor and because of its occasional use of satire.

And honestly, yes, I do think this movie should follow a similar route. I think it should still have action (which Sonic Boom also included, especially the combination of action and humor in the 4 part episode, "Robots In The Sky"), but it should still have a lot of humor in it.

We're talking about a live action movie about a blue hedgehog that runs really fast you guys. They should not be taking it THAT seriously. This isn't Batman. Though if it was entirely animated, this would be a completely different story.

And I think when that storyboard artist stated that the film was "wacky", and the fact that the cast includes Tika Sumpter (who has worked for SNL) and Jim Carry, it shows evidence that there are definitely going to be comedic elements in this movie. Although I don't like how that dude spammed Patrick Casey, it is pretty good to know that the film likely doesn't have potty humor. The only type of jokes I'm concerned about is whether or not it relies on outdated memes, badly executed innuendo, something involving current politics (the writers really hate Trump), or just plain childish humor that isn't well thought out like 2016's Ratchet & Clank.

• Thumbs Up 9

18 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

... The only type of jokes I'm concerned about is whether or not it relies on outdated memes, badly executed innuendo, something involving current politics (the writers really hate Trump), or just plain childish humor that isn't well thought out like 2016's Ratchet & Clank...

Or too many badly placed pop-cultural references.

Tik Tok may be hot with the kiddies right now, but that doesn't mean that it needs to be referenced in the Sonic movie... [add another plethura of examples here; etc] 😂

^ That's why I thought it was odd that people kept suggesting it drop with Wonder Park. I see it dropping with Avengers or Shazam as the movie will probably be too heavy for small children 

Well, Sonic is a family friendly franchise, could you blame them for thinking that?

I get the feeling that they'll say it's quite heavy, but really nothing that children can't stomach. Even the Avengers is like that, seeing as many young children still love the characters all the same. And it's Sonic, who doesn't love Sonic? i mean, besides IGN

We'll just have to see what happens.

• Thumbs Up 3

From the status update:

If I'm blue doesn't play somewhere in the movie I'll riot. The song also makes its 20th anniversary this year so... That'd be a real wasted opportunity. It fits Sonic so much, even though I'm sure they'll make a new song for him.

• Thumbs Up 1

^ Though unrealistic and not gonna happen, it'd be cool to have an extremely rare Jaleel White cameo out of nowhere.

It could be akin to a Stan Lee cameo in a marvel film. That'd be sick :)

• Thumbs Up 1

It was targeting a PG-13 rating with the "Dark Knight" treatment when SONY was developing it guys. Not Paramount. Plus, they're making toys off of the film so they'll want to market to kids. And I've been to the theater to see animated films, and they sometimes do display trailers for films that are obviously targeting PG-13 (like the Marvel movies). 

Also I'm pretty sure they rewrote most of the script when they changed writers. If I'm going to be real, I don't think we actually know what rating this movie is targeting anymore because of all the development hell. 

I don't think we're going to get a trailer around April. It's probably going to be around May or June because again, typically trailers don't typically release until 4 or 5 months before the movie comes out.

With that being said multiple times, there's a couple of big films coming out in May and June:

Detective Pikachu- May 10

Aladdin- May 24

Godzilla King Of Monsters- May 31

X-Men: Dark Phoenix- June 7

The Secret Life Of Pets 2- June 7

Men In Black: International- June 14

Child's Play- June 21

Toy Story 4- June 21

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if we ended up getting a trailer along side Detective Pikachu. It would just make the best sense and would be good timing.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Absolutely 1

I was looking through the IMDB page again. A few months ago, someone was cast in the role of 'Parisian Little Girl' now someone has been cast as a camera operator filming VFX scenes in Paris.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3794354/fullcredits/camera_department?ref_=m_ttfc_20

Sooo.. part of this movie takes place in france? Weird.

Or maybe the production staff is trolling us all and making up fake characters. 'Tissue Girl' 'Line Dancer' and 'Rowdy Bar Folk Member' seem kind of weird for a Sonic the Hedgehog movie.

50 minutes ago, Myst said:

'Tissue Girl' 'Line Dancer' and 'Rowdy Bar Folk Member' seem kind of weird for a Sonic the Hedgehog movie.

Everything is weird about this movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a scene showing Eggman’s grand scheme with reaction shots from random characters throughout the world.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm not surprised if the movie is still going for PG-13 considering they are marketing it with Fast and Furious as a reference. What is the rating for other movies like Transformers, Detective Pikachu, Star Wars etc. even Aquaman? I mean, those had explosions and violence but they had (most of them) toys so... Plus I've seen them, especially Aquaman seems a movie for everyone, not any of these movies I think have blood. "For everyone" I think that's What they are going for, even though it could be PG-13, there are still toys and stuff, it's probably just to give it an edge, but it'd be stupid not to target kids. They also want adults though. A movie for family.

I actually think that the trailer will released around the Spring, since the movie will be releasing in the fall. 

Anyway, this may be a bit of unrelated, you know  James Marsden who is playing the cop was in a show called Party of Five. He was in only one episode. The voice actor of Elise, Lacey Chabert was also in that show and that episode.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0670368/?ref_=tt_ch

Maybe she can appear in the movie as a cameo, since she is also a Hollywood actress. Maybe as a waitress? Lol.

Ah yes, the casting.

Who could forget such memorable characters like...Crazy Carl? New Girlfriend? And how could we forget everyone's favorite Sonic character, even more popular than Shadow or Sonic himself, Minivan Kid?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought IMDB was easy to edit, without giving any sources.  Thus the weird stuff you find might just be trolling.

On 2/10/2019 at 12:30 PM, Jack the Shadow said:

We don't have to be 100% negative about everything Sonic if it's not Mania.

Are you really surprised about all the negative feedback? Since Sonic Generation Sega hasn't done anything really good besides Mania when it comes to Sonic.

- Lost World was just... meh. And the 3DS version of the games was even worst.

- Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric was only a reminder for us, that Sega really doesn't care about Sonic. This game was just another nail into the coffin of the franchise. 

- The 3DS Boom games, while not bad, were just okay at best. Not awful, but didn't really offer something new and fresh.

- Sonic Forces was really underwhelming.

- The Sonic IDW comics are so far just world building and Sega doesn't really market them well.

- The movie will likely be a disaster.

- Team Sonic Racing is such a downgrade compare to the other two All-Stars Racing in terms of track design, characters, fanservice, and gameplay and the game also looks really boring compared to Crash Team Racing and Mario Kart 8.

So yeah... I absolutely can understand all the negativity right now. Sega didn't really prove themselves in why anyone should care about Sonic nowadays. Besides Mania and those animated shorts on Youtube, they really didn't do anything to show us why Sonic as a series has to be taken seriously. This whole franchise is just a joke now. And this horrible movie will even further the image of Sonic for being just a joke franchise.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Too Many Rings 1

8 minutes ago, Rowl said:

Are you really surprised about all the negative feedback? Since Sonic Generation Sega hasn't done anything really good besides Mania when it comes to Sonic.

- Lost World was just... meh. And the 3DS version of the games was even worst.

- Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric was only a reminder for us, that Sega really doesn't care about Sonic. This game was just another nail into the coffin of the franchise. 

- The 3DS Boom games, while not bad, were just okay at best. Not awful, but didn't really offer something new and fresh.

- Sonic Forces was really underwhelming.

- The Sonic IDW comics are so far just world building and Sega doesn't really market them well.

- The movie will likely be a disaster.

- Team Sonic Racing is such a downgrade compare to the other two All-Stars Racing in terms of track design, characters, fanservice, and gameplay and the game also looks really boring compared to Crash Team Racing and Mario Kart 8.

So yeah... I absolutely can understand all the negativity right now. Sega didn't really prove themselves in why anyone should care about Sonic nowadays. Besides Mania and the little, animated shorts, they really didn't do anything to show us why Sonic as a series has to be taken seriously. This whole franchise is just a joke now. And this horrible movie will even further the image of Sonic been just a joke franchise.

IDW is world building... Lmao. It's anything but world building.

No I don't understand the negativity because I fucking hate it, it's toxic and only hurts people. It literally serves no purpose... If you want to be negative be my guest. I mean, I can't stop people from being cynical. I'll never stop being positive about my passions or anything because I don't know another way to live. I'm gonna keep being hopeful, and I'll try to be nice, so from now on, I'm gonna try to ignore the negative comments. Help me on this because it's hard for me. Let's keep talking about the movie and sorry for the off topic.

Listen, you can have fun with Sonic, that is good and all, you can be positive about everything, that is also good in my book, but some of us, like me, we kinda expect better from Sonic. I mean, if I look at other series like Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Ratchet and Clank etc. The people behind those games put in so much effort into them, while Sega really seemed to not care for Sonic at all. Sega really seems to think that Sonic's name alone will get people to buy the games. Which so far has worked out for them in their favor. But someday, I tell you, will this plan backfire.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 3

https://mobile.twitter.com/davidpockets90/status/1089898428627410944

Apparently there is positive buzz from the test screening? Not confirmed, it's possible we may have missed some posts. Or just speculation.

Anyway good point about the buzz, it can only help the movie.

Edit: he heard positive talk on some facebook groups. Too early to say if it's true.

• Thumbs Up 2