Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

4 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought IMDB was easy to edit, without giving any sources.  Thus the weird stuff you find might just be trolling.

That seems rather unlikely. You'd think that trolls would go for way more outlandish stuff and that anyone actually attached to the project would remove anything that's not true, but these listings have been up there for at least a few months.

26 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

That seems rather unlikely. You'd think that trolls would go for way more outlandish stuff and that anyone actually attached to the project would remove anything that's not true, but these listings have been up there for at least a few months.

I would think that, but not to the extent I fully trust IMDB.  Not-so-outlandish falsifications do happen online, with the Pokemon franchise being particularly notable for hoaxed leaks.  I also am not sure how anyone got access to that info.

Minor parts on the IMDB cast page I'd guess are the actors or their agents getting what they've worked on on record to help get more work.

5 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Minor parts on the IMDB cast page I'd guess are the actors or their agents getting what they've worked on on record to help get more work.

This. IMDB is edited by the cast and crew themselves for resume credits. It's usually pretty reliable in that regard 

God, 2019 is gonna be the year of live-action monstrosities isn't it? 

What about the appreciation for the medium of animation Hollywood? Remember when the original Beauty and the Beast was nominated for best picture? Remember when we used animation to take us to other worlds and bring about emotions from characters in ways that life-action wasn't able to do because of the limitations of real life? Remember when everything fantastical didn't have to be turned into a horrifying CG monstrosity?

giphy.gif

This one is even blue too. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • My Emmerdoods 1

35 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

God, 2019 is gonna be the year of live-action monstrosities isn't it? 

What about the appreciation for the medium of animation Hollywood? Remember when the original Beauty and the Beast was nominated for best picture? Remember when we used animation to take us to other worlds and bring about emotions from characters in ways that life-action wasn't able to do because of the limitations of real life? Remember when everything fantastical didn't have to be turned into a horrifying CG monstrosity?

giphy.gif

This one is even blue too. 

Compare it with last year where we got Thanos, Venom (who did look rather good), Jurassic World still making awesome dino's and 2 FILMS WITH CGI SONIC'S. Yeah, Wreck-It Ralph 2 and Ready, Player One both had the blue dude with 'tude and he looked great :)

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Compare it with last year where we got Thanos, Venom (who did look rather good), Jurassic World still making awesome dino's and 2 FILMS WITH CGI SONIC'S. Yeah, Wreck-It Ralph 2 and Ready, Player One both had the blue dude with 'tude and he looked great :)

Keep in mind that the sentiment of not wanting Hollywood to turn everything that's best suited for animation into super realistic CG bullshit isn't the same as saying all CGI sucks and can never work in anything. I hate clarifying that and I feel like I shouldn't have to at this point but here it goes again. 

People know why Sonic looked good in those movies right? Wreck-It Ralph 2 wasn't live action. Ready Player One was but they included Sonic as his regularly designed, regularly animated, video game-y self. 

The intent wasn't to make him look like a super realistic, "live-action" abomination. 

That's another thing about Hollywood that I don't get. This obsession with making things realistic comes with the moniker of it being "live-action" when it sometimes isn't. Like that Lion King remake. All of those animals were CGI. It's not really "live-action" so much as technology trying it's damndest to make it look as real as possible while giving up all the other things about animation that make it special.

Of course things look good in the correct context and with the right balance of ideas behind it, like Thanos, but so many of these shitty Disney remakes and this Sonic monster are missing the mark on what made the properties they're handling work. 

• Thumbs Up 8

So, I drew some poster ideas.:

Spoiler

sonic_movie_poster_4_by_kitsuoi_dczgd71-pre.jpg

sonic_movie_poster_3_by_kitsuoi_dcygytf-pre.jpg

sonic_the_hedgehog_by_kitsuoi_dcz8nuo-pre.jpg

I know I was told I could no longer posted my artwork here in this thread, but I wanted to hear what you guys think. Let me know. I also posted these in my art thread that I made a few weeks ago, but it was kinda ignored. You can take a look at my thread, if you want. Feel free to look around.:

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

All of those animals were CGI. It's not really "live-action" so much as technology trying it's damndest to make it look as real as possible while giving up all the other things about animation that make it special.

Of course things look good in the correct context and with the right balance of ideas behind it, like Thanos, but so many of these shitty Disney remakes and this Sonic monster are missing the mark on what made the properties they're handling work.

I feel more and more the decision making only goes as far as "Can we do it? Yes.", but never ask "SHOULD we do it?". Doesn't matter if the art style doesn't suit the movie, gotta make it as realistic as possible, just because now they can.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Middle ground" is a thing that exists. I just hope they use that for the design as well as the tone of the movie. It hasn't have to be horrible. Anyway, what do you guys think of Detective Pikachu? Design and the rest. Frankly, there is only one pokemon that scares me and you can imagine who it is...

I do think DP looks great though and in general. I think it has an advantage over Sonic in that it uses more characters and things from the game, while Sonic... i dunno, well see, but so far most game elments are just easter eggs. The cast... Sonic has an advantage, also DP has a teenager lead, we have an adult cop, even the dynamic is better, as Sonic will play bad cop. It's more refreshing than the usual lonely teen and the cartoon creature.

"Middle ground" is what the movie should be, to try to please all the crowds, instead what I see in this thread is either desire for something completely different that is not actually Sonic, or something that plays extremely safe and it cannot be meant for everyone (Modern Sonic). C'mon guys, open your minds (and heart).

So, Frozen 2 had just had its first trailer released today. The movie won’t come out till November, which is the same month that the Sonic Movie will be releasing. Do you think the movie will get a trailer early as possible like Frozen 2 after all? 

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

So, Frozen 2 had just had its first trailer released today. The movie won’t come out till November, which is the same month that the Sonic Movie will be releasing. Do you think the movie will get a trailer early as possible like Frozen 2 after all? 

It could be possible, but I'm not sure. In Spring I'm sure, but we'll just have to wait and see.

But let's look at The Angry Birds Movie 2, it releases in August and it still doesn't have a trailer yet. Unlike the 1st film where we got the 1st trailer farther from it's release than we are now with the 2nd.

I'm not sure if the new contract for merch includes movie stuff but I would say it's a safe bet. And they are showing the new toys at NYC toy fair this weekend. Any chance to get our first look at Sonic's design in those days? 

• Thumbs Up 3

They have to show us something soon. If they really want people to see this movie they have to drop just something. A Teaser, a real trailer, maybe an artwork, or the final logo. I mean, so far it seems like that they do not want people to see this movie. 

4 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

I'm not sure if the new contract for merch includes movie stuff but I would say it's a safe bet. And they are showing the new toys at NYC toy fair this weekend. Any chance to get our first look at Sonic's design in those days? 

There's always some chance of something happening.

2 minutes ago, Rowl said:

They have to show us something soon. If they really want people to see this movie they have to drop just something. A Teaser, a real trailer maybe an artwork or the final logo. I mean, so far it seems like that hey do not want people to see this movie. 

From the studio that brought you failing to market a Star Trek film while having a 50th anniversary.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

From the studio that brought you failing to market a Star Trek film while having a 50th anniversary.

Did that really happen? Sorry, I'm not a Star Trek guy.

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

May does sound like a good time to release a trailer.

BTW, I found these.:

It's a sad day when someone is DELIBERATELY hoping that a movie is bad/garbage. I thought we all wanted this movie to prove us wrong? Smh.

Yes, Jakks is probably making the merchandise for the movie. I wonder what happened with TOMY, though. The last thing I got from them was that 6 inch collector's edition classic Sonic figure and I absolutely loved it 

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

It's a sad day when someone is DELIBERATELY hoping that a movie is bad/garbage. I thought we all wanted this movie to prove us wrong? Smh.

Some people are actively boycotting it, out of desire to signal their displeasure with the design (as if anyone hasn't gotten the signal by now).  While that is their prerogative, we have to remember which franchise this is and how the world will react. 

A Sonic movie flopping won't signal to them that the redesigned Sonic was a bad idea.  It won't signal to them that video game-based movies tend not to be good, even though that is a widely held opinion.  It won't make them conclude that instead, the Sonic movie should have been fully animated and utilized more elements from the game. 

No, because this is Sonic, it doing badly will just revive now-standard charges that the Sonic franchise is rotten to the core, and we don't need that.  I will partake in the mockery of this film based on what we know so far, but since it's happening I still hope for all the series' sake that it is good.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2