Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

1 hour ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Some people are actively boycotting it, out of desire to signal their displeasure with the design (as if anyone hasn't gotten the signal by now).  While that is their prerogative, we have to remember which franchise this is and how the world will react. 

A Sonic movie flopping won't signal to them that the redesigned Sonic was a bad idea.  It won't signal to them that video game-based movies tend not to be good, even though that is a widely held opinion.  It won't make them conclude that instead, the Sonic movie should have been fully animated and utilized more elements from the game. 

No, because this is Sonic, it doing badly will just revive now-standard charges that the Sonic franchise is rotten to the core, and we don't need that.  I will partake in the mockery of this film based on what we know so far, but since it's happening I still hope for all the series' sake that it is good.

Right. A Sonic movie bombing would only do damage to the brand overall since a movie Is a HUGE deal. It seems uhhh, ridiculous to boycott and hope for this movie to fail based simply on a design but that's their prerogative. 

I've been on the Sonic movie train since 2013 when Sony registered the domain on their website. I'm gonna see this thing to the very end, for better or for worse. I've always dreamed of Sonic getting the Avengers treatment

52 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Right. A Sonic movie bombing would only do damage to the brand overall since a movie Is a HUGE deal. It seems uhhh, ridiculous to boycott and hope for this movie to fail based simply on a design but that's their prerogative. 

I've been on the Sonic movie train since 2013 when Sony registered the domain on their website. I'm gonna see this thing to the very end, for better or for worse. I've always dreamed of Sonic getting the Avengers treatment

It's gonna get the Woody Woodpecker treatment at best, pal.

• Chuckle 4

26 minutes ago, Jango said:

It's gonna get the Woody Woodpecker treatment at best, pal.

Woody Woodpecker isn't as big an icon as Sonic.  Despite being Universal Studios' mascot, he's a standard mischievous funny-animal who was never able to get out of Disney's and Warner Bros' shadows, and now that whole cartoon genre is all-but dead.  Sonic was designed with that mold in mind but he broke out early on and stayed relevant due to video games being so much more healthy a media than television these days.  Of course, that also means his failures are a lot more noticeable than Woody Woodpecker's.

4 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

It's a sad day when someone is DELIBERATELY hoping that a movie is bad/garbage. I thought we all wanted this movie to prove us wrong? Smh.

Yes, Jakks is probably making the merchandise for the movie. I wonder what happened with TOMY, though. The last thing I got from them was that 6 inch collector's edition classic Sonic figure and I absolutely loved it 

I feel for you, man. It's just that people feared that the movie will be bad because of Sonic's design seen on the teaser posters. 

Regardless, I will still see it, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the movie will be like. I think it's still going to be fun and interesting.

Well, Tika posted this.:

Also, the director and James also posted a post similar to like this on their Instagram.

BTW, Junkie XL confirmed to score the music for the movie.:

• Thumbs Up 3

Yup, he also did scores for Mad Max: Fury Road, Tomb Raider, Mortal Engines, Run All Night, 300: Rise of an Empire,  Black Mass, The Amazing Spider-Man 2,  Point Break,  The Dark Tower, Divergent, and Alita: Dark Angel, which recently came out in theaters.

He also did compose scores for several EA games like such as NFS: Underground and NFS: Pro Street.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

Cements this movie as a PG-13 Blockbuster with Junkie XL confirmed. Definitely don't expect Wonderpark trailer debut as the movie will probably scare younger children. Pikachu or Avengers is where I'd expect the first trailer 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

Considering that Junkie XL has also done some remixes, could we see him remix some older Sonic tracks? Or something like “I Can Go Supersonic”? Maybe he’ll even jump to the games, which also recently had the London Symphony Orchestra.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, I think I’m going to love his music for the movie. Some of his songs were featured in some of the Burnout games.:

So, BTW, I found this audio interview with Junkie XL. I think he talk briefly about Sonic. This is what he had say. Skip to 39:07 to hear it.:

Well I can't say too much about it except that I'm working on it. I can say that it is an extremely funny movie. It has a completely different character and language than what I am used to working on. I can say 2019 is going to be a very exciting year.'

http://www.filmmusicmag.com/?p=19352

• Thumbs Up 2

51 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Skip to 39:07 to hear it.:

I'm looking for this timestamp where he talks about it. Thank you!

• Thumbs Up 2

Not to sound egotistical but...Ha! I called it!

Trailer Tracker believing we're likely getting a trailer in May AND it has comedic elements.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's a safe bet because all movies and trailers have comedic elements (thankfully). The movie can still be badass and funny. 

Anyway, Junkie XL joining is fantastic news! Seriously guys, joke how much you want that the movie is gonna suck, but every bit of news we get is amazing, and yet you panic for a silhouette. I don't know you, but I'm more excited than anything about recent games we had.

• Thumbs Up 2

So, I found this, I don’t know if this is real. Could be fake. Do you guys prefer if this was his design? I kinda like it. He looked like the same Sonic we know from the games.:

• Thumbs Up 2

Going to guess "fake." Tons of people have drawn over the poster already, and I wouldn't be surprised if this was another case of that.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

So, I found this, I don’t know if this is real. Could be fake. Do you guys prefer if this was his design? I kinda like it. He looked like the same Sonic we know from the games.:

That's definitely a drawing.

4 minutes ago, Razule said:

That's definitely a drawing.

Yea, that’s why I say that it could be fake. I don’t think it is real, but the design look like Sonic, which I kinda like it.

• Thumbs Up 2

More than fake, can't tell from memory if this is the supposed leak from a couple weeks back that turned out to be fan work being spread around against their wishes. 

I personally don''t think there even is some fully lit version of the teaser poster kicking around, it's clearly been designed with "teasing mystery silhouette" in mind so I fully expect any real leaks/ the official reveal to be a completely new artwork entirely.

• Absolutely 1

4 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

That's a safe bet because all movies and trailers have comedic elements (thankfully). The movie can still be badass and funny. 

Anyway, Junkie XL joining is fantastic news! Seriously guys, joke how much you want that the movie is gonna suck, but every bit of news we get is amazing, and yet you panic for a silhouette. I don't know you, but I'm more excited than anything about recent games we had.

Not everyone here is put off only by the silhouette which was simply another turn-a-way from this movie for me in a long list of turn-a-ways. Live action CGI hybrid, fish out of water story, focus on the human cast, buddy cop flick, limited to small uninteresting stretch of land in North America, seeming total disregard for Sonic being a globetrotting adventure who is always looking forward to his next adventure, continuous use of hyping everything but Sonic to sell the movie, etc. There's a lot about this movie that is turning me away beyond just the silhouette. About the only piece of news I found even somewhat positive was Jim Carrey being cast as Eggman, since I feel his goofiness can match Eggman's own, but even that as someone who prefers the name Eggman was muted by the constant use of the name Robotnik. Now to make matters even worse for me, I've never been a Junkie XL listener and I couldn't even make it through any of the examples of his work shared here as I simply just didn't like what I heard.

Maybe I'm in the minority since I've disliked just about everything I've heard about this movie, but there is a lot more turning me away than just a silhouette I dislike. I'm honestly still trying to give this movie a chance but whereas some here find every bit of new information astounding and awesome I just keep being more and more turned away by it. So right now, even if this movie goes on to become the greatest movie ever made that won't make it anymore appealing to me when there is nothing about it to date beyond Jim Carrey's casting that I have been hyped about. Right now this movie isn't for me and it has to with a lot more than a silhouette.

Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest since seeing people blame the silhouette alone for what is putting a lot of people off this movie is fairly disingenuous and in disregards to a number of concerns that were voiced before the silhouette was even revealed. My disappointment in the movie so far aside though, please continue to enjoy your consumption of the movie. I just ask that when addressing people's negativity that you remember to account for more than just the silhouette please as it helps make it feel like you are trying to convince us that the movie will surprise us and not just making fun of us for disliking the silhouette.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1