Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

So, kind of unrelated, but with this movie going the buddy cop route I was wondering if buddy cop films were even en vogue when this movie got started by Paramount since they are supposed to be appealing to the largest demographic of the ill defined "general audience"?

5 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

This movie better have a J. Jonah Jameson character..

"I WANT PICTURES OF THAT HEDGEHOG! He's just a menace to society!"
"He just saved a bunch of people!"
"Only so we forgive all his speeding tickets!"

IMAGINE IF JK SIMMONS PLAYED ROBOTNIK!

Given Sonic’s standard personality, being cocky/smartass-y, blowing through places at the speed of light and causing hilarious amounts of damage to property in some cases, causing trouble for Eggman and other bad guys all the time... I can definitely see him being a ‘juvenile delinquent’-sort in the movie. It definitely doesn’t sound THAT farfetched and out-of-character to me. It’s within the wheelhouse enough that it definitely doesn’t sound like some kinda betrayal or bastardization of his character, in my opinion. Not even close.

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Just so we're clear:

u9o6qdt.png

You believe Sonic to be a criminal?

Doesn't seem right to me. 

It was a figure of speech. Sonic is obviously not going to be a criminal purposely committing crimes. He is maybe going to be considered an outlaw which ain't that far off from what was happening to him SA2 when the military thought he was Shadow. 

Sonic has always been cocky, rebellious, and free spirit. He does what he wants and he's always had an edge. All the movie is doing is turning up 

Sonic is a hero that is sometimes smug and sarcastic. That is not a "juvenile delinquent", and it wasn't when he was framed for a crime in SA2 either. It barely even mattered that that even happened after Prison Island blew up, the game just forgot about it. He's not even really a troublemaker or responsible for many problems on his own.

• Thumbs Up 2

I probably worded my question too aggressively and oddly so let me try again more concisely;

Since Paramount is aiming to draw in as large of an audience as possible I was wondering if buddy cop films , and while I'm re-asking; road trip movies, were popular when this movie was being scripted?

I'm kind of curious as I don't typically follow the primary trends for movies and it would help give me some insight into some of the motivation behind the film's implied direction.

I don't think road-trip movies have been popular since the early 00's.

Also, is there anywhere official that says the cops romance angle is a side-plot of this movie. I see many talking about it but not sure if it's confirmed. 

And maybe Robotnik calls Sonic a delinquent and the Goverment believes him to be, but he's not really. Similar to Jameson calling Spider-Man a menace, criminal, etc. But ofcourse, he isn't really. 

5 minutes ago, Sonicfan7 said:

I don't think road-trip movies have been popular since the early 00's.

Curious. I wonder what resulted in that decision then. Honestly I'm starting to find the creative process behind this movie more and more intriguing.

11 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I'm just hoping this movie doesn't treat Sonic's whole attitude as something to change.

I'm personally not expecting it to. With all of the insistence of thinking everything but Sonic for this movie I'm expecting them to strive for a Deadpool level of fourth wall breaking Rocket Raccoon who does crazy stunts at dangerous speeds. It would fit in with the meta humor of the series in recent years (bar Forces) and on paper that combination sounds like a way to sell Sonic to the general audience.

For the record, he videos embedded in an earlier post called him a quasi-juvenile delinquent. Quasi means “seemingly; apparently, but not really” or “being partially or almost”.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

37 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Sonic has always been cocky, rebellious, and free spirit.

Sonic hasn't been a "rebel" for a long long time, maybe even ever.

You could consider him a rebel in Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Underground due to the setting, but not in any of the games.

6 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Sonic hasn't been a "rebel" for a long long time, maybe even ever.

You could consider him a rebel in Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Underground due to the setting, but not in any of the games.

Which kind of makes me wonder how this movie will handle Robotnik.  If he's just some random psycho who attacks out of nowhere, then Sonic can still go up against him but it won't be the same dynamic that media in Sonic's heyday had.  On the other hand, if the movie plays Eggman more like Lex Luthor; a respected industrialist who does some shady stuff on the side, with Sonic being the only one aware of this shady stuff, then the old dynamic of Sonic as a rebel can still be valid.

The movie doesn't even knows what it wants to be lol

For now on I'll call it only quasi-garbage, since it's too early to judge right.

• Chuckle 1

42 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I'm expecting them to strive for a Deadpool level of fourth wall breaking Rocket Raccoon who does crazy stunts at dangerous speeds.

Since I provided this expectation of what type of personality I expect Sonic to have in the movie I'm curious if anyone is willing to buy into that type of character being a good representation of Sonic.

1 hour ago, Sonic Fan J said:

With all of the insistence of thinking everything but Sonic for this movie I'm expecting them to strive for a Deadpool level of fourth wall breaking Rocket Raccoon who does crazy stunts at dangerous speeds. It would fit in with the meta humor of the series in recent years (bar Forces) and on paper that combination sounds like a way to sell Sonic to the general audience.

When has the series ever had meta humor? I can only think of one scene in Colors. Anyway, I hope the movie doesn't have any meta humor.

2 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

When has the series ever had meta humor? I can only think of one scene in Colors. Anyway, I hope the movie doesn't have any meta humor.

There was BOOM! for a while there and of course the Sonic social media accounts which made a name for themselves by relishing in the meta humor and general poking fun at the franchise which to my knowledge was extremely popular for a while. In fact when this movie was being scripted I'm fairly positive both the BOOM! TV show and the self depreciating humor of the social media sites were still quite popular and relevant.

I still say the whole juvenile delinquent bit is the one part of the movie that sounds like a good move. It gives him somewhere to go as a character, and if this is supposed to be more origin story-ish rather than Sonic being the well-established hero that he is in the present, it's not really contradicting his character, it's showing how he became the Sonic we know. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Speaking of dynamics, it appears that Lee Majdoub's Agent Stone will have a dynamic with Jim Carrey.

Capture theytshrhwthsrsshstr.PNG

Maybe it will be a father/son dynamic???

I also have a theory in regard to the town coming together scenario.

- This could be an allusion to something that happened back on Sonic's planet.

- The Fireballs that were mentioned during one of the shoots were probably created by the towns folk as an effort to fight back Robotnik.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

Sonic fits the description of a Rebel 100% in Black Knight.

He took up arms against an established ruler.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, MrPolynomialX said:

- The Fireballs that were mentioned during one of the shoots were probably created by the towns folk as an effort to fight back Robotnik.

I don't think so, more than likely they'll come from Eggman and his mechs. Remember the Sonic 2006 intro?

24 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Sonic fits the description of a Rebel 100% in Black Knight.

He took up arms against an established ruler.

The circumstances made him one, for sure.