Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

As it stands at the moment (if it's even real, that is), it could be doge-bollocks (wow) or dog bollocks. But that's really all we can say at the moment with the exception of speculation.

Like Noel said back there, the release date in 2016 would just be perfect, as it would give them lots of time for them to put effort into it, and would line up with the 25th Anniversary.

Huh, I'm indifferent too. Whilst Sony's films aren't Dreamworks or Disney quality they aren't that bad. Hell I quite like Surf's Up and I thought it was really unique compared to other animated films. If the Sonic film looks anything like Surf's Up or Cloudy then I'm all for it! With a touch of Unleashed's amazing CGI of course.

Sooo yah...it could be good, but I won't say a thing until we actually see something.

Ah, I knew Sonic Boom would be brought up against this. (even though we have no bleeding clue what it's gonna be like outside of the genre and shapes of character designs) I'm cautiously hyped about this, especially since media-based movies usually aren't very faithful to the source material.

(even though we have no bleeding clue what it's gonna be like outside of the genre and shapes of character designs)

Even the genre is kind of up in the air.  "Action comedy" is such a vague descriptor and so far we have no clue as to rather it will lean more towards action or more towards comedy or if it will aim for a balance of both.

If the Sonic film looks anything like Surf's Up or Cloudy then I'm all for it!

Oh crap, I forgot Sony Pictures were responsible for Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, AKA arguably the most well-animated cartoon film of this year. The Sonic characters models would be great for their animation.

I'm holding my breath until I see official confirmation that isn't "this could probably happen sometime in the future maybe".

Considering how crazy this franchise gets every time recasts happen? Yeah, I don't think the current cast is budging. What would likely happen, if they use celebrity voices at all (haha "if"), they'd be voicing a new character; either an antagonist, a new ally for Sonic, or, heaven forbid, an audience surrogate who doubles as a new ally for Sonic *shiver*.

EDIT: The more I think about it, this would actually make me excited for a film based on Archie's comic right now. With a new universe, and the characters effectively rebooted, why the hell not? We get the main Sonic cast and they get to keep their voice actors, and then some key celebrities (much as I hate the idea of animated films using celebrity voices, I understand why they're used) to fill in other roles. Of course, the issue could then turn to those other characters overshadowing Sonic because, dammit, they used celebrity voice actors and they need screen time because obviously they're the actors people want to hear in these films. rolleyes.gif

OK, I sort of understand why people wouldn't want this now.

Not really. Kung Fu Panda had Jackie Chan for Master Monkey, and he only had about 3-4 lines.

Even the genre is kind of up in the air.  "Action comedy" is such a vague descriptor and so far we have no clue as to rather it will lean more towards action or more towards comedy or if it will aim for a balance of both.

I'm thinking like the latter acts of the Teen Titans episode "Fractured".

I'm thinking like the latter acts of the Teen Titans episode "Fractured".

Don't even joke about that. =(

/not a fan of that episode

If you were not going to replace Roger with an A-list celebrity, then you couldn't really bring celebrities on sensibly because it would be self-defeating to try and overshadow Sonic in his own movie by marketing Selena Gomez as Amy or whatever. Sonic is the star. So, they would either hire bigger talent to voice everybody, or they would simply use the game actors and market the movie entirely on its concepts. I'm pretty sure they did this with Cloudy-- I don't remember any name drops, especially since the cast of that series isn't as big as the Kung Fu Panda series' casting is.

On the subject of Boom's 'action comedy', it could be a bit like LEGO Ninjago, which is a brilliant TV series.

I hope this movie is gonna take more of a original story route than a "go off of the games story" route since it would allow for more characters and the story could be something new.

Not really. Kung Fu Panda had Jackie Chan for Master Monkey, and he only had about 3-4 lines.

Eh, the Kung Fu Panda film is pretty much an ensemble celebrity cast though (which is par for the course of most theatrical animated films currently). The lines Jackie Chan didn't get, went to "bigger fish" like Angelina Jolie (and that's considering Tigress disappeared in the last half-hour of the first film). I don't know if Jack Black is all that big a deal in the film industry, but then he was the lead, so he naturally had the most screentime out of them all.

I don't think celebrity casting is bad per se, I just find the practice questionable.

If you were not going to replace Roger with an A-list celebrity, then you couldn't really bring them sensibly because it would be self-defeating to try and overshadow Sonic in his own movie by marketing Selena Gomez as Amy or whatever. Sonic is the star. So, they would either hire bigger talent to voice everybody, or they would simply use the game actors and market the movie entirely on its concepts. I'm pretty sure they did this with Cloudy-- I don't remember any name drops, especially since the cast of that series isn't as big as the Kung Fu Panda series' casting is.

Very true. It would likely be a "one or the other" situation; I only brought it up because I see the possibility of it being a hurdle in development. But, it could easily be marketed as a "family friendly adventure" like most other films. But at the same time, this isn't like when Pokémon was at its peak when the first movie came out, so they didn't need anybody other than the standard 4Kids cast (the property alone guaranteed a hit). I think, at least, it could be like the Imagi TMNT film, where it's a mixed cast of union voice actors and celebrities, but the celebrities aren't carrying the film and it's focused on the Turtles (who are voiced by guys like Nolan North and James Arnold Taylor).

So it seems we've gotten to the point as a fanbase where we fear the proposal of a new Sonic movie rather than look forward to it?

• Thumbs Up 1

One pitfall I hope this movie doesn't fall into (if it comes into fruition, that is) is the common trope whereby the characters are actually video game characters in the story.  I mean, there are tons of media adaptations of different shows and video games where even in their own universe, they're just fictional characters and that's just stupid.  Also, Archie already did that with this issue:

204780-19228-115228-1-sonic-live.jpg

Aaaaaand it was stupid.  Other offenders include Mega Man: Upon a Star, the Game Boy (Super Mario Land, specifically) comics, and that awful Rocky and Bullwinkle movie.  I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting but I hate hate hate hate hate HATE...

sonic17.jpg

...HAAAAAAAAAAAATE this trope with a passion.  When I watch a movie based on the characters I love, I want to see them as though they were real in their own universe.  I mean, the Mega Man OVA did it less offensively, but it was still pretty jarring.  So I swear, if this movie tries to do that... I'm going to be a little bit upset.  Just a little.  A lot.

But my own distaste for the trope aside, it's usually never done properly and always includes some kind of annoying Christopher Thorndyke-esque character who the audience is supposed to relate to.  Of course, the movie can still utterly blow even if they don't use this trope, but this is still a good way to ensure it does, in fact, suck. =x - Breaking the fourth wall occasionally is fine, but when that's the plot of the whole movie, I just find it really hard to enjoy.

But again, this is all assuming this movie is a thing that happens.

On the subject of Boom's 'action comedy', it could be a bit like LEGO Ninjago, which is a brilliant TV series.

I don't know if I'd call it brilliant (namely because I'm not into that sort of thing so my opinion is sort of moot), but I definitely would have no problem if the series went in that direction.  It's lighthearted enough to be kid/Akito-friendly, but actiony enough to fulfill everyone else's desires as well.

• Thumbs Up 6

See...I'm more interested in the potential of a tie-in game. 

I mean one would expect it to be pretty much a certainty, but is it actually? For one, given that the film studio overseeing its production is Sony Pictures....PS4 Exclusive? I doubt SEGA would want that, they'd rather have it out on all available platforms (as would I).

Certainly if it does exist, then there is a potential of the game having an actually meaningful story, based on or around the movie. Whether the story in the movie is any good, remains to be seen (as does the existence of a tie-in game to be fair). It would be more substantial sure....but any good? We'll see.... 

• Thumbs Up 1

See...I'm more interested in the potential of a tie-in game. 

I mean one would expect it to be pretty much a certainty, but is it actually? For one, given that the film studio overseeing its production is Sony Pictures....PS4 Exclusive? I doubt SEGA would want that, they'd rather have it out on all available platforms (as would I).

The Smurfs 2 videogame was multiplatform.

So it seems we've gotten to the point as a fanbase where we fear the proposal of a new Sonic movie rather than look forward to it?

This is exactly why Zor was created to be the symbol of the pessimistic side of the fanbase. I will be waiting until we get more information but in the mean time this has sparked my interest. 

• Thumbs Up 1

What'd be an awesome troll move on the part of SEGA, if anything...

Would be to make it so that the movie/game ends on a cliffhanger and to see the full story you must get the other.

It'd be better for the movie to come out first if they did do a method like that, of course, as that would allow non-gamers to enjoy it and, if they like it, go get the game. If the movie was second it'd be very confusing for anyone who wasn't in the gamer crowd, most likely.

I doubt that would happen but I just figured I'd muse about it.

I'm anticipating the games will have nothing to do with it barring the elements associated with the games. I can guarantee any film will come after Sonic Boom has gotten at least part of its run done, and take place in the Sonic Boom universe. SEGA wants Sonic to be more than just a game and to be a huge part of the youth culture like it was in the 90s. It makes sense they'd want to build up a successful cartoon series and a movie around it accordingly, the same as every other cartoon series.

Whether they'd be successful, who knows.

What'd be an awesome troll move on the part of SEGA, if anything...

Would be to make it so that the movie/game ends on a cliffhanger and to see the full story you must get the other.

It'd be better for the movie to come out first if they did do a method like that, of course, as that would allow non-gamers to enjoy it and, if they like it, go get the game. If the movie was second it'd be very confusing for anyone who wasn't in the gamer crowd, most likely.

I doubt that would happen but I just figured I'd muse about it.

You mean kinda like what they did with The Amazing Spider-Man film and its video game adaptation, where the game continues the story where the film left off? Ehh... I don't know. That would mean that there would be a good chance of the game spoiling the events of the film, kinda ruining it for people. Not to mention, I'd only be okay with this if both the film AND the game are good to begin with.

Currently I'm going to remain neutral about the film for the time being and will wait for more info and footage before beginning to pass judgement on it. If it happens to be an original story that actually falls in line with the games' universe, I'd be interested, but if it's based off Sonic Boom or SatAM / Archie, all my fucks I'd have to give most likely would be immediately thrown out the window.

Though as I said, since we know nothing about it, there's nothing else for me to say at the moment until we learn more about it if it turns out to be real.

why can't they just remaster the Sonic OVA and release that in theaters instead

metal sonic looking under her skirt and sonic seeing this

tails grabbing boobs

sonic and his middle finger

rated r

• Thumbs Up 4

Come on guys, you can't judge something that we know absolutely NOTHING about. That being said, I'm not sure I know how to feel about this movie business….I mean, I like Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Open Season, and Surf's Up, so maybe this movie won't be TERRIBLE……on a different note, do you think a video game based off of a movie based off of a video game would be redundant?

• Thumbs Up 1