Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I honestly can't imagine this NOT being a more comedy focused thing, considering that's the direction sega seems to want to take with this franchise.

The Cloudy movies were funny as hell though, so at least this'll be a good laugh.

Domains for movies are typically bought out long before the film is officially announced so as to keep any other business from using it in the meantime.  Chances are, we won't be getting any news on the matter for about another year.  Maybe a few months if we're lucky.  That is, if this is a thing that they actually plan to make happen.  There's still a good chance that the domains were registered to keep anyone from using them and causing confusion.

The Cloudy movies were funny as hell though, so at least this'll be a good laugh.

That is, if they decide to go in that direction.  They can still go for Smurfs. :v

To be fair, they've only made two Smurf movies and about five or six fully animated movies. And considering the sheer fantastic and sci-fi properties of the license, I think it would be far less tenable and fitting to do the thing in a live-action setting.

Speaking strictly from an animation standpoint, after seeing CwACoM's glorious animation, which imo is pretty similar to Marza's in terms of stretchy cartoony expressiveness on CG chatracters, I've always thought that Sony (animation) would be a great fit for Sonic, and now that this is possibly happening, I'm pretty peachy. The plot is another story entirely, but yeah, atleast it'd potentially look good.

• Thumbs Up 2

Speaking strictly from an animation standpoint, after seeing CwACoM's glorious animation, which imo is pretty similar to Marza's in terms of stretchy cartoony expressiveness on CG chatracters, I've always thought that Sony (animation) would be a great fit for Sonic, and now that this is possibly happening, I'm pretty peachy. The plot is another story entirely, but yeah, atleast it'd potentially look good.

I agree, the story may have been a bit wierd, but the cartoony animation definaetly suits Sonic.

The thing about the plot leaves me wondering, though. What would be used for the plot? Which elements do you guys think the movie may or may not use?

If we were lucky we'd see further developments on this come the Spring, but it very well could be later next year. Worst of all, this could just be talks rather than anything official, and the domains will expire with nothing coming of it.

I'm optimistic, however!

If SEGA saves the big news for Boom 2014, something showing up there would be a definite good way to top the news fountain that was Boom 2012.

To be fair, they've only made two Smurf movies and about five or six fully animated movies. And considering the sheer fantastic and sci-fi properties of the license, I think it would be far less tenable and fitting to do the thing in a live-action setting.

I was mainly making the point that it's still a possibility.  It probably won't be the case, but I'm always open to the 1% chance of things happening. ^^;

If we were lucky we'd see further developments on this come the Spring, but it very well could be later next year. Worst of all, this could just be talks rather than anything official, and the domains will expire with nothing coming of it.

I'm optimistic, however!

If SEGA saves the big news for Boom 2014, something showing up there would be a definite good way to top the news fountain that was Boom 2012.

The fact that the domains were registered by Sony, who has otherwise no business registering a domain for anything Sonic-related, definitely raises a bit of hope.  But as you said, there's still a chance that this is just something that's being discussed and may or may not be dropped accordingly.

The fact that the domains were registered by Sony, who has otherwise no business registering a domain for anything Sonic-related, definitely raises a bit of hope.  But as you said, there's still a chance that this is just something that's being discussed and may or may not be dropped accordingly.

Really it makes me wonder why they chose the Sonic brand. Could Sony be trying to muscle its way in on big third party franchises so as to try and squeeze Nintendo and Microsoft? Since the film field is one that video game companies are averse to (for good reason), it does seem like a good marketing move to turn efforts up to eleven in that field. Sony must be expending considerable resources if it has four films and counting, however.

I'm hopeful this turns into something fruitful... given that SEGA's desperately trying to make Sonic a well-received character again, I'm almost certain it will.

Now, let us await the inevitable release of copies of the film that play only on PS4 and PS3.

Really it makes me wonder why they chose the Sonic brand. Could Sony be trying to muscle its way in on big third party franchises so as to try and squeeze Nintendo and Microsoft? Since the film field is one that video game companies are averse to (for good reason), it does seem like a good marketing move to turn efforts up to eleven in that field. Sony must be expending considerable resources if it has four films and counting, however.

I'm hopeful this turns into something fruitful... given that SEGA's desperately trying to make Sonic a well-received character again, I'm almost certain it will.

Now, let us await the inevitable release of copies of the film that play only on PS4 and PS3.

The domain could have been registered by Sony since they're the ones supposedly producing the film under Sega's guidance.  I don't think at this point that Sony approached Sega for it, any case.

The domain could have been registered by Sony since they're the ones supposedly producing the film under Sega's guidance.  I don't think at this point that Sony approached Sega for it, any case.

That would make the most sense, yes. I don't see Sony turning it down of course; as a media giant as well as one of the Big Three of gaming, this is a perfect opportunity to expand its market share some. Nintendo may be winning over SEGA for games, but Sony might be winning them over in the field of cinema.

That would make the most sense, yes. I don't see Sony turning it down of course; as a media giant as well as one of the Big Three of gaming, this is a perfect opportunity to expand its market share some. Nintendo may be winning over SEGA for games, but Sony might be winning them over in the field of cinema.

That's entirely possible, but I honestly don't know if video game adaptations are a big enough revenue stream as, mixed reception aside, they don't deliver nearly the same amount of money as their mainstream titles.  Further, the films do little to market their brand to the uninformed public.

Further, the films do little to market their brand to the uninformed public.

On that issue I'd presume there will be some generous amounts given to the trailers in various movies. That's where I think a 2015 release date could do extremely well - they could make trailers for Sonic's movie be packaged with the Ratchet & Clank film. That's a huge gamer crowd right there, and if Sony's got its hand in both, it could work wonders with attracting one film's crowd to the other...

I guess this is one perk of having the same company more or less involved with several films.

On that issue I'd presume there will be some generous amounts given to the trailers in various movies. That's where I think a 2015 release date could do extremely well - they could make trailers for Sonic's movie be packaged with the Ratchet & Clank film. That's a huge gamer crowd right there, and if Sony's got its hand in both, it could work wonders with attracting one film's crowd to the other...

I guess this is one perk of having the same company more or less involved with several films.

I suppose.  I don't know anything about the Ratchet and Clank movie or if the series is as popular as it was when it first came out, but yeah, I imagine it's going to have an audience of mostly gamers.  So it will generate at least some revenue, if any.  That is, if that's the marketing strategy they decide to go for.

I suppose.  I don't know anything about the Ratchet and Clank movie or if the series is as popular as it was when it first came out, but yeah, I imagine it's going to have an audience of mostly gamers.  So it will generate at least some revenue, if any.  That is, if that's the marketing strategy they decide to go for.

The Ratchet film's release was said by some to be many years too late, yes, but Ratchet consistently has good reviews despite its regular installments; he basically usurped Sonic's position as Mario's biggest rival in platforming in terms of his consistent sales and reception.

It does make me wonder if this movie is going to go for general appeal and not just gamer appeal, however. If the former, I wouldn't be surprised if it was its own self-contained continuity inspired by the games (similar to what Ratchet's going for) or was tied into the cartoon.

The Ratchet film's release was said by some to be many years too late, yes, but Ratchet consistently has good reviews despite its regular installments; he basically usurped Sonic's position as Mario's biggest rival in platforming in terms of his consistent sales and reception.

It does make me wonder if this movie is going to go for general appeal and not just gamer appeal, however. If the former, I wouldn't be surprised if it was its own self-contained continuity inspired by the games (similar to what Ratchet's going for) or was tied into the cartoon.

I'd hope that they'd make it welcoming to non-gamers, but still keep the players as their core demographic.  But yeah, I guess that boils down to just "wait and see." :c

I'd hope that they'd make it welcoming to non-gamers, but still keep the players as their core demographic.  But yeah, I guess that boils down to just "wait and see." :c

In all probability. I assume they'd throw in something for everyone if they're competent. It's sort of like how video game sequels are: a lot of them are designed so you can pick them up and play them even if you don't know the plot of previous installments. There's great merit in avoiding too entangling a story for that reason.

So hopefully any movie will also have a "appeal to both camps" side. My suggestion would be an original story that makes a lot of meta references to other Sonic games. Green Hill would still appear, Badniks, etc.

Not sure if it matters... But can we get some type of record on how many domains Sony's made before that turn out to be nothing?

Not sure if it matters... But can we get some type of record on how many domains Sony's made before that turn out to be nothing?

They have taken domains? Well, if that's true, then you're right. A list would be handy, because all in all, there's a slight chance it gets cancelled before anything even happens.

I've wanted to see a Sonic movie ever since I was little. If this is true I'm hoping they do a good job and use the current voice actors for the film instead of celebrities.

If this actually happens then I shall be looking forward to see how this turns out. I'm probably thinking that it would be great to introduce to non-gamers and that more and more people will grow interest to this franchise and lead to increase fanbase and possibly sales of games too but I'm not too sure.

It's a non-source with a stock photo. The likelihood of this movie being based on a television show dead for twenty years and inconsistent to the current image of the franchise is nil.

It's also possible for a meteorite to strike my car in the next half hour; the chances of that happening however are so small that it isn't practical to consider the implications of it.

• Thumbs Up 9

It has nothing to do with AOSTH.

Aside from SOJ never authorising that, DiC being the owner of that throws a spanner in the works.