Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Well if this is true then at least we got some plot details. Albeit not very much, but the budget of $90 is a bigger budget than that of Ratchet & Clank, Angry Birds and Spongebob movie Sponge out of Water. Now if the budget is to be believed, that's actually lower than I thought it would be. Of course I thought it'd be bigger than what it would've been for the games, but not nessecarily under $100 million.

Just now, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Well if this is true then at least we got some plot details. Albeit not very much, but the budget of $90 is a bigger budget than that of Ratchet & Clank, Angry Birds and Spongebob movie Sponge out of Water. Now if the budget is to be believed, that's actually lower than I thought it would be. Of course I thought it'd be bigger than what it would've been for the games, but not nessecarily under $100 million.

Where did you get it’s $90 million?

14 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

... I know that this is a rumor but this sounds absolutely awful. The worst possible idea they could have.

Rumor? Pretty sure this is actual news unless I am not understanding something correctly.

Ah yes... The Sonic Movie is slowly but surely shaping up to be the trash movie most of us saw coming. I bet it won't be to long before they reveal the location of the movie's story will be in New York City... And somehow that Sonic will help the cop who is down on his luck get his life back together and get a girlfriend by the end of the story... HAaaa... *vomits*

5 minutes ago, AdventChild said:

Still don't understand why they can't just make it full fledged animated movie.

Because this is Sonic... which by this point is basically a cursed series that more often then not makes the wrong choices.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

I mean I guess you're right. That still doesn't change the fact that humans will play the big role in this movie, and that never worked in a live-action/CG hybrid movie.

Then again, that boils down to the fact that it's a live-action/CG hybrid movie based on a video game to begin with, and those kinds of movies rarely were good, so...

Also since when would Sonic need a human ally to find Eggman, if he has more than enough, y'know, friends?

It worked in Transformers and TMNT. And yeah, this is because of the direction they'e chosen to go. Maybe Sonic is an alien from Mobius and he doesn't know how our world works? Tom can not only help him figure it out but also have the PD help him and his friends stop Eggman. I could think of many different reasons why 

5 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Is that why Superman has a normal cop guy following him everywhere so we have a constant "point of view"? 

No, he doesn't have that.

Superman looks like a human being. And his story is very grounded, he doesn't need a point of view character. Sonic is a completely different deal, he looks nothing like humans and the concept is much more "out there" than Superman. So the GA will need a character whom they can filter all of craziness happening through. (I.e Anthrophomorphic animals and giant robots.)

3 minutes ago, AdventChild said:

Still don't understand why they can't just make it full fledged animated movie.

It wouldn't be this big, it wouldn't have an impact in my opinion. Or maybe they can't afford it to be fully CGI with the world and stuff?

My main complaint for this is the name... Tom sounds so bland, they could have taken something that is a reference to Sonic material, Tom sounds boring, hopefully the character isn't?

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Superman looks like a human being. And his story is very grounded, he doesn't need a point of view character. Sonic is a completely different deal, he looks nothing like humans and the concept is much more "out there" than Superman. So the GA will need a character whom they can filter all of craziness happening through. (I.e Anthrophomorphic animals and giant robots.)

You do realize that people care more about a character than just what they look like, correct? And Superman is a grounded story? Right, the man who is invincible to everything but magic, flies, fires lasers out of his eyes and stops alien techno-man is a grounded story compared to talking hedgehog who runs fast.

I wasn't aware Zootopia which handled messages of racism also had random human character in the story for us to relate to.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, we all knew it was going to be this way, but it's nice to have it confirmed so we can stop caring early on.

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 2
  • Absolutely 1

Meanwhile people are starting to get excited because Paul Rudd is getting cast, and they have to watch a Sonic movie??? Whaaat.

11 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Where did you get it’s $90 million?

I've seen that in the 2 articles i checked into from the past  couple of hours.

https://screenrant.com/sonic-hedgehog-movie-paul-rudd/

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/video_games/ant-man-and-the-wasp-star-paul-rudd-eyed-for-lead-role-in-sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-a160956

4 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

Meanwhile people are starting to get excited because Paul Rudd is getting cast, and they have to watch a Sonic movie??? Whaaat.

It says that Paul Rudd is being eyed for the role. That doesn’t confirm if he actually got the role.

13 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

You do realize that people care more about a character than just what they look like, correct?

In the case of a live action/CG hybrid? Umm, no. I don't think so. Sonic can relate to the GA but he's not a human being and he looks too alien to be POV.  

And Superman is a grounded story? Right, the man who is invincible to everything but magic, flies, fires lasers out of his eyes and stops alien techno-man is a grounded story compared to talking hedgehog who runs fast.

A blue talking hedgehog who runs really fast, has a best friend who is a Fox and also a mechanic battling a guy shaped like an Egg who wants to rebuild the world in his image? Yes, that concept is a much harder pill to swallow than Superman's story. (Kryptonian whose cells are supercharged by our sun allowing him to do the things he does)

I wasn't aware Zootopia which handled messages of racism also had random human character in the story for us to relate to.

Umm, Zootopia was a CG animated movie set in a world inhibited completely by cartoon animals. Sonic is set in our world with actual human beings. Apples and Oranges

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

In the case of a live action/CG hybrid? Umm, no. I don't think so. Sonic can relate to the GA but he's not a human being and he looks too alien to be POV.  

A blue talking hedgehog who runs really fast, has a best friend who is a Fox and also a mechanic battling a guy shaped like an Egg who wants to rebuild the world in his image? Yes, that concept is a much harder pill to swallow than Superman's story. (Kryptonian whose cells are supercharged by our sun allowing him to do the things he does)

Umm, Zootopia was a CG animated movie set in a world inhibited completely by cartoon animals. Sonic is set in our world with actual human beings. Apples and Oranges

Shockingly, I'd believe if people were paying to see a Sonic the Hedgehog movie, they're paying to see Sonic the Hedgehog and his cast of characters. Not Tom the Random Human Cop who's a lead character working alongside Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 8

No, you guys don't understand.  We should definitely change Sonic into something which it isn't in order to chase people who don't like the series, even if it costs us the people who do like the series!  So long as it's Sonic in name only, it's a triumph for the franchise!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 3
  • Absolutely 1

7 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Well, not with Sonic games as of late...*CoughFORCES!*Cough... 

Sega: Sonic Boom? Whuzzat?! (Looks around nervously)

• Chuckle 1

4 minutes ago, FFWF said:

No, you guys don't understand.  We should definitely change Sonic into something which it isn't in order to chase people who don't like the series, even if it costs us the people who do like the series!  So long as it's Sonic in name only, it's a triumph for the franchise!

I told you guys this kind of stuff was coming. I told you that this movie would have to appeal to a wider audience  and it's already starting to show. That's why they want a human POV character and an A-list star like Rudd. 

The topic’s current title reminds me of something way back in the day when I was posting this sonic fanfiction full of domestic violence and bizzare details like Sonic finding a bag of Doritos in Labyrinth Zone. People were comparing it to COPS, and notably someone posted Silver finding a can of tuna on Planet Wisp. Now wondering if Tom might make the jump to IDW Sonic comics... 

And is his name a reference to Tom Kalinske? The marketing guy who made Sonic big in the first place?

• Chuckle 2

5 minutes ago, AdventChild said:

Well, not with Sonic games as of late...*CoughFORCES!*Cough... 

Sega: Sonic Boom? Whuzzat?! (Looks around nervously)

Sonic Adventure series, Sonic Unleashed, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic comics, Sonic X ect. So it's not like having humans is a new concept to the franchise 

37 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

It worked in Transformers and TMNT.

Are you seriously giving these movies as examples on how to make a live-action/CG movie? You do know that these movies were pretty much panned reception-wise, right? Sure, financially they succeeded, but they're still not great movies, not by a long shot.

37 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

And yeah, this is because of the direction they'e chosen to go.

Well then it's a stupid direction IMO. Again, when there's a "lead character" (one of many as you said) that's a human in a movie where the main star is considered characters from cartoons or, in this instance, Sonic, most of the time it will focus too much on humans and not enough on the actual main characters. Transformers was more focused on Shia LaBeouf, and not Transformers. TMNT? I don't really remember the movie (haven't watched it in some time now), but from what I do remember is turtles weren't given enough attention.

And if you're gonna focus more on a human character, then just rename the movie altogether, cuz at least the expectations would be in the right place (though "Tom The Sonic's buddy" would still be a stupid name tbh).

Anyway, I don't think there's much to speculate, cuz again, we know barely anything about the movie and we'll probably not get any sizeable info till 2019. So I'll just wait for a trailer

I told you that this movie would have to appeal to a wider audience  and it's already starting to show. That's why they want a human POV character and an A-list star like Rudd. 

I know it's gonna be completely different types of entertainment, but you know what also tried to appeal to a wider audience? Forces. You know how that turned out to be.

The point is, trying to appeal the wider audience doesn't make it automatically good. Hell, a lot of the time it makes it worse.

• Thumbs Up 8

Just now, PeterPancake said:

I told you guys this kind of stuff was coming. I told you that this movie would have to appeal to a wider audience  and it's already starting to show. That's why they want a human POV character and an A-list star like Rudd. 

Yes, because this is going to appeal to so many people.

People really did love the Smurfs...that's why it's mocked hard and they had to reboot into a failed fully-CGI animated film. That's why the Alvin movies are some of the worst animated adaptions ever. That's why Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles currently has no third sequel planned and the second movie is mocked for trying to do something with the 80s versions of the Turtles only to ruin it, that's why Woody Woodpecker has become a place for full-on mocking this year due to his movie, and that's why every single time they try to throw in some random main human character to upstage the character people actually paid to see, it's mocked and panned constantly. Because it just appeals so incredibly well to general audiences. 

I mean, here I thought the general idea is that Sonic - being one of the most popular fanbases around would attract audiences to actually see a movie about him and his world, but no, we need random human man with a gun to try appeal to us because he's human and well that's all you need for an appealing character. Character development, weaknesses, arcs, personality, that doesn't appeal to us at all, it's all about if they just happen to look like us. 

They can attempt to appeal to a wider audience all they want, but when you show an obvious lack of faith in your main character who has remained popular for 20+ years and feel like you need to throw in a random A-List celeb to try catch more people, then that's a clear definitive sign that this movie is going to absolutely suck. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Yeah the Michael Bay TMNT movies might have made enough money... But everybody still laughs at how awful they are. To this day most people even non-TMNT fans still HATE the turtles designs from that movie and use it as a ref for terrible movie design versions of cartoons.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tom sounds like a pretty cool throwback to Fleetway's Sonic the Comic canon, where Sonic also had a regular, more grounded tag-a-long teammate who was a pig.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

On the one hand I liked Paul Rudd in Ant-Man. On the other teaming Sonic up with a cop is really dumb.

As a slight reminder, I'd like to take a moment to remind people why having a good celeb means nothing without good writing, production, and direction.

There's Stephen Amell, who plays Oliver Queen in Arrow. As in he literally plays a normal guy who tries to be a hero already in that show (in later seasons at least). Oliver as a character has a chip on his shoulder, a lot of angst due to being stuck on an island for years, witnessing his father kill himself and someone else for Oliver to survive after being shipwrecked. In short, literally perfect fit for Casey Jones.

Yet in Out of the Shadows, Armell is pretty bland, has absolutely nothing to work with in terms of Casey as a character, Casey himself is insanely in-name-only (His original motivation was being a vigilante because cops were useless in his eyes, in the movie...he's trying to literally prove he can be a good cop). He is one of the weakest aspects of the movie, and that's a shame when the 1990 movie managed to do Casey fifty times better. THEY LITERALLY HAD SOMEONE WHO HAD EXPERIENCE PLAYING SOMEONE LITERALLY LIKE CASEY JONES AND STILL BOTCHED IT UP.

There was Dave in Alvin. Played by a very funny actor, the same guy did My Name is Earl...he gets absolutely nothing to work with, and is constantly sounding like he wants to die in every movie. There's David Cross who is actually legitimately funny in the Alvin movies...because he's literally there to point out how cynical, shitty and downright stupid the movies are and is a joy because he's practically expressing every bit of loath and hatred the audience is likely seeing these movies with, so I don't think he really counts, and even then sometimes his raw talent can't break through the shit he's given to work with. 

Like, these are all good actors. Actors who've all done their fair share of serious and comedic work. Who should literally fit perfectly into these roles...yet they don't and are as absolutely bland as you can get. Smurfs had Neil Patrick Harris, as in the man who has done insanely funny things with various other shows and movies...yet he was still extremely boring and the entire movie hinged around him and his family. There's numerous examples of these movies having big-name celebrities, and ones who are actually pretty good at that, yet still they fail each and every time because their material is bland and boring and their character is nothing more than a boring mess of a character because shockingly, if I came to watch a Smurfs movie, it's probably for the imaginative and creative world of the Smurfs and the stories based off of their comics, not random ad executive guy's family issues. 

• Thumbs Up 8