Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

It's kinda weird that Alvin & the Chipmunks, TMNT, and Transformers are being used to denounce this kind of a character, when all of those series featured these "Unbelievable creatures in the real world meet normal human" characters in the first place, all the way back in their original form.

I mean it's frustrating to have a surreal series that gets by well enough without them for the fans nowadays to regress all the way back to that state, but it's not like they aren't used without any reason

The obvious solution to this would have been to make it a fully animated cartoon so that the suspension of disbelief was already required, but that was already thrown out the window once the live action aspect was revealed, so I really dunno what y'all expected tbh

• Thumbs Up 1

oooh wooow

This is gonna be one of those kinds of animated movies

I'll reserve judgement, hard as that may be for me.

I will say one thing though, they should get Karen Gillan for this movie. Apparently she grew up with the classic Sonic games and she even follows the Sonic twitter account.

You guys have no idea how many cop and police jokes I'm going to make. It'll be criminal!

• Chuckle 4

4 minutes ago, JingleBoy said:

oooh wooow

This is gonna be one of those kinds of animated movies

I'll reserve judgement, hard as that may be for me.

I will say one thing though, they should get Karen Gillan for this movie. Apparently she grew up with the classic Sonic games and she even follows the Sonic twitter account.

Maybe she can play Amy 

It was pretty obvious, it would go this way. This is how it always is, with a cartoon character and a lead human character with human stuff going on. (granted a lot of those franchises already had those types of characters in their original forms)

Like, from the beginning that it was announced it was going to be live-action, there should have no doubt there'd be a character like this. Might as well make a checklist of all the tropes. The others weren't good, this probably won't be either, not to mention the added bonus of being a video game movie. Just sit back and watch the train wreck. 

It's a shame that it's Sonic's time for one of these, if only SEGA got their movie-making ambitions out of the way earlier, like the 2000s when these were more common. We'd have already ripped off this bandage.

9 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

You guys have no idea how many cop and police jokes I'm going to make. It'll be criminal!

"If a hot girl can get thousands of likes, how many can our boys in blue get?"

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

4 minutes ago, Razule said:

Might as well make a checklist of all the tropes.

Who else here is expecting Sonic to help the Cop get back together with his ex-girlfriend? =p

• Chuckle 3
  • My Emmerdoods 3

So, the guy who played Ant-Man is being considered to play the human lead for the movie. Huh, interesting. Well, hopefully they don't put too much screen time on him. It's funny that both the Detective Pikachu movie and this will be out next year and will feature an actor that played an Marvel character. I guess 2019 will be the year of video game buddy cop movies. LOL.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm willing to bet we'll definitely get a badass chase sequence between Sonic and the Cops. In fact, this may be how Rudd meets Sonic

• Thumbs Up 3

Eh. Does it have to be a buddy-cop role tho? Couldn't this go the "Sam Speed" route and this guy be the one tasked with bringing the blue vigilante in for justice? I'd much prefer that. I'd rather see Sonic antagonizing police than riding shotgun in a squad car lol.

Seriously tho, we knew this was coming since the day we found out it was going to be a live action hybrid. They were going to have to hire some people around Sonic, and chances were that some of them would play a bigger role in the movie. I'd rather it be some kind of actor with a profile than random D list guy. No point in getting fussy about it until we get concrete synopsis of his role, or some kind of trailer or something.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

6 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Who else here is expecting Sonic to help the Cop get back together with his ex-girlfriend? =p

Oooh yeah, that's definitely gonna happen. Maybe even a kid he has trouble connecting with. Something about rent.

• Chuckle 5

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

No, you guys don't understand.  We should definitely change Sonic into something which it isn't in order to chase people who don't like the series, even if it costs us the people who do like the series!  So long as it's Sonic in name only, it's a triumph for the franchise!

We don't know if it's Sonic in name only, we haven't seen anything.

I'm just saying that the Sonic audience is not enough for a big movie, you need the wide audience, especially if Sonic fans don't plan to watch, but they wouldn't be enough regardless. It's clear this is not a movie for the fans, it's for kids and casuals.

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

No, you guys don't understand.  We should definitely change Sonic into something which it isn't in order to chase people who don't like the series, even if it costs us the people who do like the series!  So long as it's Sonic in name only, it's a triumph for the franchise!

It'll get the kids for sure

Probably not enough though.

6 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

We don't know if it's Sonic in name only, we haven't seen anything.

I'm just saying that the Sonic audience is not enough for a big movie, you need the wide audience, especially if Sonic fans don't plan to watch, but they wouldn't be enough regardless. It's clear this is not a movie for the fans, it's for kids and casuals.

This. This isn't about "alienating" the core fanbase. Sonic fans will make up around 2% of the Box-office gross for the movie AT BEST. This movie needs to appeal to wayyy more than us in order for it to succeed.

• Thumbs Up 2

All this is reminding me why I hated how the Transformers movies were made

Like the human character existing isn't what I hate about the first movie; in fact it makes sense, and could have been great tbh. Spielberg's "Witnessing giants" aspect was kind of an awesome angle for a Transformers movie. But every. Other. Thing the first movie does either does the original Transformers as little justice as humanly possible, or makes Sam's aspect of the movie the most unbearable aspect of the story, from the humor to his purpose to his character.

And rather than the series ever giving way to what the series is actually named after, they push the focus on the humans even further in the sequels. As if any of that was worth expanding on.

And when the original cast wasn't available... they decided to focus the series on another group of humans entirely for the rest of them.

*throws hands into air*

It's the way this character will be handled that'll be the downfall of the movie, if anything, but the fact that he merely exists in the first place already gives more opportunity for them to screw it up than not

And I mean his role as a cop does open up the possibility of him being better handled than, say, a collage student or young boy companion *coughchriscough*

But at the same time this is the Sonic movie made by Paramount, so again, I'm not expecting anything otherwise, lmao

• Thumbs Up 8

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the angry dome.

5da.gif

Right, so,

human companion.

...If this idea was given the go-ahead by SEGA, I'd be very disappointed. And embarrassed by their lack of understanding that these kinds of movies are generally disliked. Plus, this decision has the chance to embarrass the Sonic franchise, again.

And Sonic fans won't make 2% of the box office, y'know... Considering a franchise needs a pretty huge following in the first place for a movie to be considered. And if they're all disappointed that the focus of the movie isn't on Sonic himself, y'all have really done fucked it up.

There is no need for an audience surrogate if you introduce Sonic in "our" world and treat it as nothing unusual, audiences can buy that. It's when you deliberately treat Sonic as alien to "our" world that things get screwed.

• Thumbs Up 9

For me personally, this just went from "maybe it'll be alright" to an instant train wreck. I can't say I wasn't expecting this, what with the live action component and all, but I was hoping SEGA wouldn't be so foolish as to green light such a travesty. No one wants this, don't do it, SEGA. Kill it right now and cut your losses, don't make Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric The Movie. Seriously, this might just end up beating the Super Mario Bros. Movie as the worst video game movie of all time. Although it wouldn't be the first time Sonic came second place to Mario.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

Appealing to the wider audience rarely worked for video games(see horror games), so movies I don’t see being different 

• Thumbs Up 8

22 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

And I mean his role as a cop does open up the possibility of him being better handled than, say, a collage student or young boy companion *coughchriscough*

inb4 he's Adult Chris

• Chuckle 5
  • My Emmerdoods 1

I love how the people doing this type of movies justify deviating from the source material under the excuse of "but we need to appeal to a wider audience".

Would feel much less offended if they were sincere and just say that they don't have faith in the source material.

7 minutes ago, Polkadi said:

There is no need for an audience surrogate if you introduce Sonic in "our" world and treat it as nothing unusual, audiences can buy that. It's when you deliberately treat Sonic as alien to "our" world that things get screwed.

I think you're underestimating how anal people in general get about this stuff even nowadays

Especially in movies, for whatever reason

The writers already confirmed this movie won't be like this Smurfs or Alvin where Sonic helps a random guy with his personal issues. This is a PG-13 movie focused on action. And as far as we know, Sonic is still the main character. I dont understand all of the worrying and hate of this movie. 

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Polkadi said:

And Sonic fans won't make 2% of the box office, y'know... Considering a franchise needs a pretty huge following in the first place for a movie to be considered. And if they're all disappointed that the focus of the movie isn't on Sonic himself, y'all have really done fucked it up.

Yes they will. You're confusing brand recognizability with audience perception and Box-office gross which Sonic fans will make up less than a quarter of. 

You'e right, going the former roger Rabbit route where Sonic and other animals existing in the world is a fact of the universe was possible. But going the latter route is an easier pill for the GA to swallow and for that to work, we need a human POV for the audience to see through his eyes 

8 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Where was this PG-13 confirmation?

The original writer for the script said the script was being written for an intended PG-13 rating. This was future accented when they got Deadpool's Tim Miller and Fast and Furious' Neal H. Moritz. Most of the rewrites of that pitch was to add even more action. So there is no reason to expect this movie to be another Alvin, Smurfs or Yogi Bear 

• Fist Bump 1

Paul Rudd eh? I’m only really familiar with him from playing Mike in ‘Friends’. He was decent in that.

The whole cop thing has me very confused though. 

• Thumbs Up 2