Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

pp and dio quotes go here

That's also a very realistically-proportioned Spiderman, in a medium and series that has been through hundreds of different art styles.  Rarely does Sonic ever look that much not like Sonic. There's a visual consistency between every Sonic game's design for the character including Boom, and the only really major exceptions are stuff like the taffy-pulled 06 model or poor work by untalented/uncaring artists for the comics. A better comparison would be Unleashed/Colors Eggman standing next to 06 Eggman. And funnily enough, 06 Eggman looks absolutely terrible.

1 minute ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

That's also a very realistically-proportioned Spiderman, in a medium and series that has been through hundreds of different art styles.  Rarely does Sonic ever look that much not like Sonic. There's a visual consistency between every Sonic game's design for the character including Boom, and the only really major exceptions are stuff like the taffy-pulled 06 model or poor work by untalented/uncaring artists for the comics. A better comparison would be Unleashed/Colors Eggman standing next to 06 Eggman. And funnily enough, 06 Eggman looks absolutely terrible.

This Sonic will not look that different. He will just look more like a real creature; more like something that COULD exist in a real world environment. What's so wrong with that? 

We can compare it to Howard the Duck then. Another creature that's Caricaturized;

howard_the_duck_guardians_of_the_galaxy.thumb.jpg.cd03022b0c78d2a593232cbf597ede4a.jpg

Howard_duck.png.4fee9e30e6b0bca588fff39bacbda452.png

950048910_516edU4mtCL._SX323_BO1204203200_.jpg.057b628023301c0213c93db138d90b83.jpg

The reaction was positive 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

This Sonic will not look that different. He will just look more like a real creature; more like something that COULD exist in a real world environment. What's so wrong with that?

I don't fucking want Sonic to look real. I want it to look dynamic, stylized and kinetic. You can do that with CG, but this film was partially doomed on a conceptual level by trying to incorporate live action at all, and knowing that Sonic's CG doesn't even properly look like Sonic only shows that it's not partial at all. The entire appeal of Sonic's aesthetic is completely defined by the fact that it is a cartoon. Stripping it of that means you might as well make something else. That's why I brought up 06's character designs (well, for Sonic and the humans mostly) being butt-ugly.

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

We can compare it to Howard the Duck then. Another creature that's Caricaturized;

And those also look lame? I'm not sure what your point here is.

15 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I don't fucking want Sonic to look real. I want it to look dynamic, stylized and kinetic. You can do that with CG, but this film was partially doomed on a conceptual level by trying to incorporate live action at all, and knowing that Sonic's CG doesn't even properly look like Sonic only shows that it's not partial at all. The entire appeal of Sonic's aesthetic is completely defined by the fact that it is a cartoon. Stripping it of that means you might as well make something else. That's why I brought up 06's character designs (well, for Sonic and the humans mostly) being butt-ugly.

And those also look lame? I'm not sure what your point here is.

The reason why they originally conceived the movie as live action in the first place was so they could make a Blockbuster PG-13 franchise. That's what the project was ORIGINALLY conceived to be when it was announced. Sony wanted it to take over/be a replacement for their Resident Evil franchise which was coming to a close. And the thing is, you can not do that with an animated movie because they will never have the same clout as live action films. And even you, yourself admitted that. 

Now I'm not 100%  sure what this movie has ultimately become under Paramount but I believe the original ideas are being kept intact of a PG-13 action movie having talked to the current writer in the past. So that's justification for why an animated Sonic movie would have never satisfed the studio. Not under Paramount or Sony at least (Pixar, DreamWorks or Illumination are a different story)

And those designs look fine, dude. There has to be a translation from the source material. Having Sonic look like rubber in live action would have been a no go for the GA unless it marketed itself as a Roger Rabbit-esque movie where the premise makes fun of itself. 

10 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

The reason why they originally conceived the movie as live action in the first place was so they could make a Blockbuster PG-13 franchise. That's what the project was ORIGINALLY conceived to be when it was announced. Sony wanted it to take over/be a replacement for their Resident Evil franchise which was coming to a close. And the thing is, you can not do that with an animated movie because they will never have the same clout as live action films. And even you, yourself admitted that. 

Because when I think of the colourful and imaginative cast of Sonic the Hedgehog, I imagine PG-13.

I'm also equally expecting the Mario movie to be rated R.

• Thumbs Up 2

58 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

It's really no different from Spider-Man being translated to live action

a53f0eff96a7f87155efef329ae9b03e.thumb.jpg.e11c055f268f8c1bc6fd444b1761d409.jpg

Peter Parker is a realistically proportioned human being, the difference really isn't that hard to see. 

Going by the positive reaction, maybe Sonic looks something like this:

2128817-ozkurt_sonic.jpg

I'm guessing he's mostly only realistically textured like the Pokemon instead of any radical change.

• Thumbs Up 3

9 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Because when I think of the colourful and imaginative cast of Sonic the Hedgehog, I imagine PG-13.

I'm also equally expecting the Mario movie to be rated R.

That depends on which version of Sonic you're thinking about. Because unlike Mario, Sonic has veered into Sci-Fi action territory multiple times. Just look at the Sonic Adventure series, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 06, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic X, SATAM, Archie comics etc. The franchise lends itself wayyy more to a blockbuster action movie than Mario. Now post-Colors and pre-Adventure? Yeah, you have a point. But something like Sonic Adventure 2 adapted into a movie could TOTALLY be a blockbuster in vein of TMNT or Avengers. In fact, if that was adapted to live action, it would HAVE to be PG-13 because of how dark and depressing the Shadow material is.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Razule said:

Peter Parker is a realistically proportioned human being, the difference really isn't that hard to see. 

2128817-ozkurt_sonic.jpg

I'm guessing he's mostly only realistically textured like the Pokemon instead of any radical change.

I still love this design and want it to be used in a game. Last time I said that everybody acted like I had bad taste, though. Which is odd, since everyone knows I have the best taste.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

Then DON'T DO IT! It's a terrible idea! Sonic never does well when it veers into that territory. It never works when they try to make it realistic. So you just don't do it!

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

And those designs look fine, dude. There has to be a translation from the source material. Having Sonic look like rubber in live action would have been a no go for the GA unless it marketed itself as a Roger Rabbit-esque movie where the premise makes fun of itself. 

Then make an animated movie. I said it was flawed from the moment they decided to make it live action, and this is why. These sort of "well they did what they could" statements are lame "better than nothing" talk, and I for one have never been a fan of taking something bad over the potential of something good. They don't look good, so the approach should have been different from the outset.

• Thumbs Up 2

So going by these posts and translations, the teaser was positively received. Especially reception on Sonic's design is positive. But the part involving him breaking the sound barrier just sounds good and I can't wait to see it.

Now what's odd to me in the original article it says the film will release on November 14th, 2019. Does that mean it'll release in Brazil on November 14th or is that the new worldwide release date?

• Thumbs Up 1

So, there was an teaser shown secretly today in Brazil? Interesting. Sounds like we might get our first trailer sooner than we thought.

Hear that Sonic will be pretty much looked like the Pokemon in the Detective Pikachu movie.:

0e3.png

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 3

No reason to expect anything other than base Sonic + Realistic fur texture.

It will be interesting to see how much fur they give the guy (I think D. Pikachu has fur that is too long for the sake of added detail) but should still be the Sonic we all know and love. All I know is his shoes better be absurdly shiny.

Also, I hope they give his sneakers a more realistic bottom sole design, like Archie did. Never liked the basic horizontal sweep Sega just throws on their Sonic model.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

5 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Also, I hope they give his sneakers a more realistic bottom sole design, like Archie did. Never liked the basic horizontal sweep Sega just throws on their Sonic model.

Well whichever one they decide to use would be fine with me. Now I think 2006's version was a good one and more likely to be used.

At least the 06 model attempted something more... realistic (lol I guess it does fit with what that game was trying to do).

Considering Sega once partnered up with SOAP - It wouldn't actually surprise me too much to see a Nike swoosh under there now.

4 hours ago, Myst said:

Ol Kenny is already shitting on this. (Rolls eyes)

Is he still salty that they didn't go with his movie from years ago. My god, this guy needs to let Sonic go

• Thumbs Up 3

Cartoony design with realistic fur and eyes, I assume? This just makes me more curious. I think it will be a great design, but people will still find a reason to bitch somehow, lol.

• Thumbs Up 3

14 hours ago, Razule said:

2128817-ozkurt_sonic.jpg

I can live with that, though i imagine it would be a bit more detailed and less like a stuffed toy :D

• Thumbs Up 2

It's definitely going to be more detailed than that. That's just the game design but flocked. They will probably add detail on his eyes, mouth (real mouth) and the fur will look more realistic than that. Like real animal fur.

I also think it may be Classic Sonic. As somebody said they thought Sonic looked as cute as Detective Pikachu and they want a plushie of him. Modern Sonic doesn't spring to mind as cute imo. I wouldn't be surprised because they have been teasing Classic Sonic for awhile on set. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I just hope they do the fur properly and he doesn't end up looking like the Werehog with his "quills" being pretty much strange furry appendages on the back of his head instead of, you know, a collection of quills. That aside, he's already sounding too fluffy, which was my primary complaint about Detective Pikachu; I expected a fur texture more akin to a short hair mammal, not a grizzly bear. He's as fluffy as the Chow Chow my dad had when I was younger. It's crazy. I really, really hope this Sonic model doesn't overdo it on the fluff and that somebody somewhere in the production staff realized there is a major difference between quills and fur. Well, we'll probably be finding out sooner than later though.

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

It's definitely going to be more detailed than that. That's just the game design but flocked. They will probably add detail on his eyes, mouth (real mouth) and the fur will look more realistic than that. Like real animal fur.

I also think it may be Classic Sonic. As somebody said they thought Sonic looked as cute as Detective Pikachu and they want a plushie of him. Modern Sonic doesn't spring to mind as cute imo. I wouldn't be surprised because they have been teasing Classic Sonic for awhile on set. 

I don't really think it'll be Classic. Because in one of the descriptions for the teaser included him breaking the sound barrier (implying a Sonic Boom), which I don't think I've seen Classic Sonic do that in any of the Classic Sonic games. So it's just far more likely to be Modern Sonic.