Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I've been overly negative enough on this thread so I'll try to keep it short; I don't like it.
You can give me all of the explanations in the world to justify this redesign but I find that @Emerald Chaos reacted best to it

13 minutes ago, Emerald Chaos said:

"That wouldn't translate well to a live action movie"
Here's a thought then.
DON'T MAKE IT A LIVE ACTION MOVIE

Sonic is a fictional character with all of no basis in real life beyond hedgehogs curling into balls which was only used to sell the gameplay with a cool looking character. At no point during his creation based on countless interviews did his creators ask "how can we make a meter tall anthropomorphic impressionistic hedgehog  look like he belongs in the real world". I get Hollywood and blockbusters are all about live action, but this is a case to me that one should have strived to change and the rebel so to say, buck the trend and make animation a blockbuster. Give me all of the market research in the world as much as you want for how live action sells better, but doing nothing but sticking to market research is just as likely to result in staleness as anything. You have to take risks to make a change and this is the wrong type of risk to me. I'd rather see animation become a blockbuster force than see a beloved design deformed to fit the Hollywood mold. Walt Disney once showed that animation could sell as a full length theatrical product, so where is the brave creative who is willing to show that animation can become a blockbuster force? I really wish I knew because Sonic does not deserve this. His design was once more globally recognizable and at least as aesthetically pleasing as Micky Mouse and Disney sure hasn't butchered Mickey like this.

Anyway, enough ranting and griping from me. To those who like it, more power to you and I hope you can enjoy the movie. As for me, with the final reveal still to come I know I'm just going to get more and more negative and will try to limit my future responses in this topic to explaining and clarifying my stance as necessary. I don't want to get into arguments about this design, because frankly, to me it's an abomination that makes BOOM! Knuckles look brilliant by comparison and I know bemoaned that to no end when the silhouette for that was revealed. That BOOM! Knuckles then turned out to be complete meme representation of Knuckles' traits only made it worse and more than gives me reason with this redesign to fear how off base from Sonic this interpretation will be.

• Thumbs Up 6

It looks bad. It does not surprise me. This movie is not a trainwreck, it never had any intention of being anything other than a cardboard cutout of a train that makes you pay for fake tickets.

• Chuckle 3

Honestly, it's worse than I expected lol. At worst, I expected a higher quality version of the Sonic from the fan film.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

It looks bad. It does not surprise me. This movie is not a trainwreck, it never had any intention of being anything other than a cardboard cutout of a train that makes you pay for fake tickets.

Didn't even have the budget to be a proper trainwreck? XD

Just to add on to my little rant, I showed the poster to my parents and their reactions were fairly priceless. My dad may be a gamer but He's a Sonic 1 purist and hasn't looked at anything Sonic outside of it or even it since 1991 really unless it is in conversation to me but watching his face crumble up trying comprehend what he was looking was something else. After that he said the only thing missing was the Frankenstein Monster's neck bolts. As for my mom, she pretty much summed it by saying that is not Sonic and she is not a gamer or even a Sonic fan in any capacity and managed to even ask what did they to Sonic. I feel sorry for when my younger brother who is a big Sonic fan sees this.

Alright, hopefully that's the last of my negativity for now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Don't worry guys. This doesn't mean anything! So long as the movie isn't released in the period where movie are sent to be ignored and die because the studios know they're bad I'm sure our fears are....

Release Date: December 26th 2019

.. ... .. .Well... I tried.

• Thumbs Up 2

I mean that's not totally true? This month we're getting Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse, Mary Poppins Returns, Bumblebee and Aquaman. The first three of which all have been well received and Aquaman seems like it will, too, at least. 

Star Wars has been massively successful in December. Unfortunately for this movie, It will continue to be massively successful in December 2019 with Episode 9.

1 hour ago, Emerald Chaos said:

"That wouldn't translate well to a live action movie"
Here's a thought then.
DON'T MAKE IT A LIVE ACTION MOVIE

I'm so over this.

lol, and it's like Sonic games never had cutscenes or anything. No, the cyclops eye don't look weird. This does. 

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Well-well-well. Look who ended up being right. :)

Eh, it could've been a whole lot worse.

1 hour ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

tumblr_pjivx0B8hi1ud5l1to1_1280.png

I could see a part of his eye in that silhouette and I already have a bad feeling about what it'll be like.

At least they're green though, they got one thing right. ..or at least I think that's his pupil..?

Just now, Razule said:

At least they're green though, they got one thing right. ..or at least I think that's his pupil..?

this is getting worse by the minute

5 minutes ago, MarioAmigosYT said:

Eh, it could've been a whole lot worse.

At this point, it could only look worse if it looked like this:

download-1.jpg

His eyes are clearly just going to be round black balls like real hedgehog eyes. You can see them stick out. If I had to get, the fur surrounding them will be white, and his eye brows will still be used for expression. No wonder Sega didn't like the fucking eyes!!

I truly don't understand why he needed any design changes beyond texture and more detail, however they try to justify it.

Screenshot_20181210-151002.jpg

Is in times like this that I appreciate Sonic Mania and Sonic Mania Adventures even more. I really don't know where I would be without these. Imagine: Boom to Forces to TSR and now this, holy shit. Thank God we got at least 2 great Sonic stuff in the last years.

• Thumbs Up 8

12 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Don't worry guys. This doesn't mean anything! So long as the movie isn't released in the period where movie are sent to be ignored and die because the studios know they're bad I'm sure our fears are....

Release Date: December 26th 2019

.. ... .. .Well... I tried.

December has been a major release period for years now. You didn't try. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Not for this sort of thing, no.

Well hmm. Sorry , i'm wrong. It is a major release period for studios putting films out to try and get some money out of projects they don't think will succeed . So you are right, technically

6 minutes ago, Razule said:

At this point, it could only look worse if it looked like this:

download-1.jpg

I disagree. That one at least got his shoes right. And his arm color..and that he has gloves.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2
  • Absolutely 1

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Oh man yeah! I'd better book my tickets now for Boxing day! The lines will be out the door!