Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Gangsters Paradise is on Page 380)

Just now, MarioAmigosYT said:

I will still watch it....

EVEN WITH THE DESIGN HOLY EGGMAN IT'S BAD

I'll still watch it as well to save many the troubles so I can detail on the majority of it after.

OK, the design looks bad.

Guess I'll keep on enjoying what I like Sonic-wise and ignore this then ? Or mock it a little.

But I don't need to SCREAM and PANIC and yell that THE FRANCHISE IS DOOMED. The franchise survived Sonic Labyrinth, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Boom. It will survive this.

4 minutes ago, Adamis said:

But I don't need to SCREAM and PANIC and yell that THE FRANCHISE IS DOOMED. The franchise survived Sonic Labyrinth, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Boom. It will survive this.

I mean I'm sure that's what SEGA thought of the SEGA CD, the 32X and the Saturn before they had to exit the console business with the Dreamcast, so..we'll see.

Also, a franchise that pretty much has zero identity at this point in time is pretty dead to me already as a fan, so there's that as well.

2 minutes ago, Adamis said:

At some point you've got to start considering quality of life and not just survival.

Just now, Diogenes said:

At some point you've got to start considering quality of life and not just survival.

I'm happy with the quality of my life thank you :)

This isn't even "survival". It's just one (more) spin-off.

50 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Exactly as horrible as any Sonic fan would expect.

Actually, much much much much much much... WAYYYYYYYYYY MORE HORRIBLE I COULD EVER IMAGINE -_-

If Sega is aiming to make a movie as good as Mario Bros, I think they nailed it.

I genuinely didn't expect it to be this bad.
I thought they would at least have the most basic grasp of the appeal of Sonic's design if nothing else.

It looking weird in live action isn't a good excuse when things like Space Jam and such exist.
People can deal with things looking a little disjointed, changing an iconic design this much is an awful idea.

I've been overly negative enough on this thread so I'll try to keep it short; I don't like it.
You can give me all of the explanations in the world to justify this redesign but I find that @Emerald Chaos reacted best to it

13 minutes ago, Emerald Chaos said:

"That wouldn't translate well to a live action movie"
Here's a thought then.
DON'T MAKE IT A LIVE ACTION MOVIE

Sonic is a fictional character with all of no basis in real life beyond hedgehogs curling into balls which was only used to sell the gameplay with a cool looking character. At no point during his creation based on countless interviews did his creators ask "how can we make a meter tall anthropomorphic impressionistic hedgehog  look like he belongs in the real world". I get Hollywood and blockbusters are all about live action, but this is a case to me that one should have strived to change and the rebel so to say, buck the trend and make animation a blockbuster. Give me all of the market research in the world as much as you want for how live action sells better, but doing nothing but sticking to market research is just as likely to result in staleness as anything. You have to take risks to make a change and this is the wrong type of risk to me. I'd rather see animation become a blockbuster force than see a beloved design deformed to fit the Hollywood mold. Walt Disney once showed that animation could sell as a full length theatrical product, so where is the brave creative who is willing to show that animation can become a blockbuster force? I really wish I knew because Sonic does not deserve this. His design was once more globally recognizable and at least as aesthetically pleasing as Micky Mouse and Disney sure hasn't butchered Mickey like this.

Anyway, enough ranting and griping from me. To those who like it, more power to you and I hope you can enjoy the movie. As for me, with the final reveal still to come I know I'm just going to get more and more negative and will try to limit my future responses in this topic to explaining and clarifying my stance as necessary. I don't want to get into arguments about this design, because frankly, to me it's an abomination that makes BOOM! Knuckles look brilliant by comparison and I know bemoaned that to no end when the silhouette for that was revealed. That BOOM! Knuckles then turned out to be complete meme representation of Knuckles' traits only made it worse and more than gives me reason with this redesign to fear how off base from Sonic this interpretation will be.

4 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

It looks bad. It does not surprise me. This movie is not a trainwreck, it never had any intention of being anything other than a cardboard cutout of a train that makes you pay for fake tickets.

Didn't even have the budget to be a proper trainwreck? XD

Just to add on to my little rant, I showed the poster to my parents and their reactions were fairly priceless. My dad may be a gamer but He's a Sonic 1 purist and hasn't looked at anything Sonic outside of it or even it since 1991 really unless it is in conversation to me but watching his face crumble up trying comprehend what he was looking was something else. After that he said the only thing missing was the Frankenstein Monster's neck bolts. As for my mom, she pretty much summed it by saying that is not Sonic and she is not a gamer or even a Sonic fan in any capacity and managed to even ask what did they to Sonic. I feel sorry for when my younger brother who is a big Sonic fan sees this.

Alright, hopefully that's the last of my negativity for now.

Don't worry guys. This doesn't mean anything! So long as the movie isn't released in the period where movie are sent to be ignored and die because the studios know they're bad I'm sure our fears are....

Release Date: December 26th 2019

.. ... .. .Well... I tried.