Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Gangsters Paradise is on Page 380)

Gonna remind everyone to keep it civil and follow the site rules. This news doesn’t change how we do things here. One image replies and snarky comments that add nothing to the discussion other than to get a rise out of others are still not allowed.

Let’s calm down a bit before things get out of hand.

5 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

I tried to warn you guys for months. I tried to get you prepared for the fact that this movie is going to be it's OWN thing. And Sonic as he appears in the games looks like Snoopy's cousin. That was never going to work for a movie like this.

And I got a feeling they're sticking with the PG-13 approach, just from the poster is presented. Sonic looks amazing! I love his design!

I think Sonic looks bad, but the way the poster is PRESENTED is nice (as in, dark colors, an action stance) i like it for that.

But boy am i uneasy about the full reveal.

And now we've moved on the stage of calling the movie terrible because Sonic doesn't look like Mickey Mouse's brother in law.

I can't wait for this movie to spawn a franchise for the character. This design is actually marketable to a wider audience. Sonic actually looks like he can take a punch. Gone are the noodle limbs. And this looks wayyy better than the fan film 

4 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

I tried to warn you guys for months. I tried to get you prepared for the fact that this movie is going to be it's OWN thing. And Sonic as he appears in the games looks like Snoopy's cousin. That was never going to work for a movie like this.

You know what also doesn't work for a movie like this?

This design.

Because it's fuck ugly.

2 minutes ago, Myst said:

I think Sonic looks bad, but the way the poster is PRESENTED is nice (as in, dark colors, an action stance) i like it for that.

But boy am i uneasy about the full reveal.

Don't give up on the movie, dude! We've been anticipating this for months and come on, let's be honest -- we both knew Sonic's design was going to change. Deep down, all of us knew.. 

18 minutes ago, Dr Ryan said:

His eyes are clearly just going to be round black balls like real hedgehog eyes. You can see them stick out. If I had to get, the fur surrounding them will be white, and his eye brows will still be used for expression. No wonder Sega didn't like the fucking eyes!!

I truly don't understand why he needed any design changes beyond texture and more detail, however they try to justify it.

Having a hard time picturing how those beady eyes are gonna look in their true glory.. hope someone draws something at some point.

2 minutes ago, Razule said:

Even the guy who made the Realistic Sonic doesn't like it

You know you screwed up when your own fan art is the basis of your own character design in a movie

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

This design is actually marketable to a wider audience. Sonic actually looks like he can take a punch. Gone are the noodle limbs. And this looks wayyy better than the fan film 

I understand the point of the design being better than the fan film... but why you praise a bad character design for just (hopefully) a single film?

12 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Don't give up on the movie, dude! We've been anticipating this for months and come on, let's be honest -- we both knew Sonic's design was going to change. Deep down, all of us knew.. 

That doesn't mean we have to accept it. The design is garbage. It being "its own thing" is nigh-on a meaningless statement or observation. The Sonic the Hedgehog brand despite its major failings in years gone by, is fucking huge. This movie's existence in the form that its currently in, will only harm the already perilously positioned brand. Even if this movie is its own thing. Even if the game's continue to have nothing to do with it.

Why? Because its easy to take the piss out of the dumbest form of something. And this movie. This character design. This horrific visage of Sonic, will be the new focal point of that derision. In the same way that despite the excellence of the Nolan Batman Movies, Garbage like Batman and Robin are still remembered and laughed at.

But I guess SEGA is okay with letting this franchise continue to become a greater and greater laughing stock.

14 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

And now we've moved on the stage of calling the movie terrible because Sonic doesn't look like Mickey Mouse's brother in law.

I can't wait for this movie to spawn a franchise for the character. This design is actually marketable to a wider audience. Sonic actually looks like he can take a punch. Gone are the noodle limbs. And this looks wayyy better than the fan film 

For starters, there was very little chance this movie was ever going to be good. It would have been acceptable frankly, if it was simply forgettable actually. This will now become a meme. A legend to remind people to never take cartoon mascots and try and bring them into the real world. A reminder I thought wasn't necessary after the catastrophic error of judgement the Smurfs movie was. 

As for the design. Its straight up laughable. A design being cartoony or "Mickey Mouse's Brother in law" has no correlation to whether or not it can "take a punch". Sonic has been able to take hits in media for years just fine. And as for it being "marketable to a wider audience".... Well I'mma need to see some receipts. As I've said, Sonic's design is already iconic. The brand is already one of the most recognisable and marketable in the world. I mean its the reason the franchise hasn't died, despite all the calamitous disasters in its not too distant past. 

6 minutes ago, Spooky Mulder said:

Does he have fingers instead of gloves? I can't tell but it looks that way to me. Very spindly looking. Kinda creepy.

This looks like a bad piece of Ken Penders art.

Well, he's always had fingers under his gloves /jk. Unless they're really tight gloves, I can't see where they would begin.

5 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

I am actually laughing at people thinking that a 100 million + dollar movie will be canceled or "scrapped" just because some don't like the design of Sonic.

Thats not how it all works.

What don't we all just give a movie a chance?

It’s $90 million, to be exact.

2 minutes ago, MarioAmigosYT said:

You know you screwed up when your own fan art is the basis of your own character design in a movie

I understand the point of the design being better than the fan film... but why you praise a bad character design for just (hopefully) a single film?

It doesn't even look bad and it's not even that radically different from the game design. People comparing him to that terrible fan art. All it looks like is a version of game Sonic that could anatomically exist in the real world. And Sonic looks like an action hero! He looks like that fan art I posted a few months ago when I talked about the way I want him to look. I LOVE HIM. He looks exactly the way I wanted him to :D

On 12/6/2018 at 8:38 PM, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

Kind of where I thought they might go with Sonic's design. I can dig that.

So........

I'll just go ahead and throw that out the window.

This now looks like a disaster. This is more repulsive than Sonic '06's design by a quite a large margin. I hate everything about '06 Sonic, and this is much worse than that.

Oh boy. I think I may need to sit out the franchise until after the movie. I'll finally go play zelda or something.

11 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

I will forever argue that reaching a wider audience at the expense of losing the identity and uniqueness of the very thing you're a fan of is not exactly what you want as a fan.

To those defending that design, I respect your opinion and am glad that you are happy @PeterPancake, but would like to add that my brother who is a trained and professional graphic and character designer describes it as horrendous and that just the silhouette is cringy and makes him shudder. Those are not the type of responses the designers of this movie Sonic should be getting from their peers and speaks volumes about how wrong it is. Still though, at this point, considering even SEGA is not happy with the changes it can only get worse once we see it fully revealed.

On another note, though I did not watch the Ted movies, hearing Sonic compared to that with what I saw from trailers and commercials worries me in a completely different way. Boy, just when I was being willing to give this movie a chance again they go and throw me deformed Sonic head on a twisted Gollum body. I know this movie isn't aimed at fans, but boy I have to ask what we did to deserve that?

the only good thing I can say about the design...
is that it's miles better than that Blue Core fan film where Knuckles had fingers, James Rolfe and even Doug Walker were in there and the CG Green Hill (in the same ending as that Knuckles has fingers thing).
besides that.. why?

15 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Ooooh man, he will.

I think it was a bad idea to show this silhouette first. They should've brought out a trailer. For all I know this design will click when I see it in the movie interacting with people.

Detective Pikachu knocked that out of the park. Though, that design is also much better and truer to the games than what I can see here.

13 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Sonic's design is much more marketable to a wider audience than this. It's simple and clean like Mickey Mouse. Pun not intended.