Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

1 minute ago, Scar said:

SEGA was always the problem. Short-sighted as fuck. The insane production schedule of the PS2/GCN/XB era that culminated in a development environment so toxic that the Franchise's founding fathers all saw fit to leave to regain their spark and love for video game development. Now its the bizarre and pointless attempt at segmenting the franchise; chopping it up into exceedingly disparate pieces while simultaneously clinging to nostalgia of past greatness. And of course, allowing a Live-action movie to be made? Live-Action? 

That too after we got Night of the Werehog; a lovingly crafted animation which I'm sure left a few people clamouring for a Pixar style animated adventure. But instead of using their own Animation studio to pursue this, they ship it off to fucking Hollywood and allow a goddamn Live-action movie to be made?

I just don't understand the thought process. Is it just money? Is there nobody thinking about what would happen when the Cash Cow has been milked to death?

I know we in are in " panic mode"

But their decision to make separate products for different fanbases is actually a good idea. Trying to please too many fanbases with one product is usually why a lot of their bad products ... are bad.

1 minute ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

What on earth are you talking about marketable to a wider audience? Have you no awareness of the franchise history at all? Sonic was once more popular than mario and Mickey mouse in both the US and Europe. Sonic's design was the one thing that maintained his appeal throughout all the mistakes of his games. It did not need any help whatsoever.

This is actually a disaster.

Sonic was not ever more popular than Mickey Mouse. Let's not overextend ourselves here. Look, this Is (most likely) going to be a PG-13 action movie. Cartoon Hedgehogs do not fit in any sort of environment where the movie's trying to have any semblance of seriousness. The MAJORITY of people would have laughed a cartoon Sonic out of theaters. That's not marketable as an action BLOCKBUSTER. Maybe for a G-Rated Alvin but not for this.

Spider-Man, Hulk, Iron Man, Superman, Batman all had to be changed a little bit for their movies, Sonic gets anatomically correct limbs and a athletic body that ACTUALLY looks like something of a semblance to a runner's build and everybody loses their minds.

Sonic fans can't accept change. Oh, and for all of the people saying "I showed my Grandma/Dad the design and they HTAED IT see??? Nobody likes it!!" I showed three of my colleagues and they think he looks cool. Two of them don't see what the big deal is about the design. The casual fan does not care if Sonic has noodle arms and plastic fur. 

Just now, DiamondX said:

Japan is getting it in May 2020.

They definetly don't wanna see it.

Of course because Sonic is a bomb that nobody wants in Japan

• Thumbs Up 1

Man...they couldn't even pretend to be good, straight up just fucked right out the gate. Never had any hope for this movie since day one so I can only laugh at how garbage that Sonic looks. Will be good for a few laughs since apparently Sega want us to laugh at their mascot at this point 

Just now, PeterPancake said:

Sonic was not ever more popular than Mickey Mouse. Let's not overextend ourselves here. 

In the 90s for a time, it is factual that sonic was more recognizable than Mickey mouse and mario in the western world. This was acknowledged by marketers at the time. I can find a link for you, or you can do it yourself.

• Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Since when does Sonic need to look like he can take a punch?

I don't remember that happening in Sonic 1?

...actually want to see they beat the shit out of this Sonic. 

17 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Detective Pikachu knocked that out of the park. Though, that design is also much better and truer to the games than what I can see here.

I'm not the biggest Pokemon fan, but that design is literally how I always seen him, just with realistic fur, no other changes.

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

Sonic was not ever more popular than Mickey Mouse. Let's not overextend ourselves here. Look, this Is (most likely) going to be a PG-13 action movie. Cartoon Hedgehogs do not fit in any sort of environment where the movie's trying to have any semblance of seriousness. The MAJORITY of people would have laughed a cartoon Sonic out of theaters. That's not marketable as an action BLOCKBUSTER. Maybe for a G-Rated Alvin but not for this.

Spider-Man, Hulk, Iron Man, Superman, Batman all had to be changed a little bit for their movies, Sonic gets anatomically correct limbs and a athletic body that ACTUALLY looks like something of a semblance to a runner's build and everybody loses their minds.

Sonic fans can't accept change. Oh, and for all of the people saying "I showed my Grandma/Dad the design and they HTAED IT see??? Nobody likes it!!" I showed three of my colleagues and they think he looks cool. Two of them don't see what the big deal is about the design. The casual fan does not care if Sonic has noodle arms and plastic fur. 

Have you seen what Spider-Man Into The Spider-Verse looks like? Or how well it's been received. That's what SEGA should've gone for. Not this.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, Shadowlax said:

I know we in are in " panic mode"

But their decision to make separate products for different fanbases is actually a good idea. Trying to please too many fanbases with one product is usually why a lot of their bad products ... are bad.

I mean, I understand what you're saying in principle...I'd even agree with it. Mania existing as a sideshow is great. Problem is, the main series games are trying to please both classic and modern fans at the same time, while successfully pleasing nobody, anyway. Mania has a vision and idea of what it is, and what it wants to be - a continuation of the classics. Meanwhile, Modern Sonic has no real identity. 

I've always said, they should stop with all this and come up with a unified vision for what they want the franchise to be (at least the Modern Sonic component), and not think at all about whether they're including enough sidescrolly Green Hill Zone references to appease classic fans.

But this is all a bit off-topic. Plenty of discussion to be had elsewhere.

As for this film. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Yes, they've sunk $90 million  (!) into this. But that doesn't mean its worth pursuing to its end. I mean, it shouldn't have been allowed to reach this bloated budget in the first place, but what do I know?

Even if this movie is commercially successful (I find myself hoping that it isn't to be brutally honest), it will do some major damage to this franchise. And that in the long term, may cost SEGA a lot more than $90 million.

3 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Man...they couldn't even pretend to be good, straight up just fucked right out the gate. Never had any hope for this movie since day one so I can only laugh at how garbage that Sonic looks. Will be good for a few laughs since apparently Sega want us to laugh at their mascot at this point 

Because they know that the design sucks.

Speaking of...

2 minutes ago, Jango said:

...actually want to see they beat the shit out of this Sonic. 

I agree, let's wreck him!

You should be happy/hoping for the movie to succeed and be great. This will do WONDERS for the Sonic brand much In the same way Transformers made TF a global icon for Hasbro, this movie has the potential to make Sonic a multi-media icon. I've always wanted this for Sonic

• Fist Bump 2

8 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

onic fans can't accept change. Oh, and for all of the people saying "I showed my Grandma/Dad the design and they HTAED IT see??? Nobody likes it!!" 

My Grandparents are all dead smartass which is why I showed it to my mum.

But hell I'll go to the cemetery dig them up and I'm sure they'll laugh at it too!

• Chuckle 1

I showed my boyfriend and his immediate reaction was that he looks too human now and it makes him more uncomfortable with Sonic being naked.

Maybe they'll give him pants.

12 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Sonic fans can't accept change.

Is this the part where you're trying to convince me change is always good? Because sadly that's not how reality works. The phrases "changed for the better" and "changed for the worse" exist for a reason, you know. And this design change is a change for the worse.

• Thumbs Up 7

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

You should be happy/hoping for the movie to succeed and be great. This will do WONDERS for the Sonic brand much In the same way Transformers made TF a global icon for Hasbro, this movie has the potential to make Sonic a multi-media icon. I've always wanted this for Sonic

Again, it doesnt seem like you're much aware of the franchise history. Sonic has already been that in his life. He didn't need to do THIS. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I love the claw paws and the dark ambiant lighting.
Hah, here I was scared this would be a cringey comedy movie but instead they seem to be going for a horror movie.
Neato. Will this be a spirtual succesor to Gremlins? Shit, I fed the Hedgehog chillidogs after midnight and it turned into this!
Hide the kitchen knives!

Eh, after a decade of lame cringe humor and Green Hill Zones, I'm ready for something diffrent and this sure is diffrent.
Call me intrigued. At worst, this will be an insane trainwreck, which I'm looking forward to after Sonic's been "Eh, okay I guess..." for so long.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 2
  • Fist Bump 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

Um. I’m kinda mixed on this. Shoes looked awkwardly small. I don’t know what to say, but we will have to wait to see the full reveal of him.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

My Grandparents are all dead smartass which is why I showed it to my mum.

But hell I'll go to the cemetery dig them up and I'm sure they'll laugh at it too!

OK

I’ll remind everyone here again. Keep it cool.

None of this.

Get your point across POLITELY and leave it at that please.

• Thumbs Up 5

7 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Could you explain to me this weird obsession you have of wanting Sonic to become super popular, even it that means they have to twist, skew and mutate him and the entire franchise into something he's not and never was?

Like, why would you want that? That's something for some corporate bigwig to drool over.

• Thumbs Up 2

You're comparing an anthropomorphic cartoony hedgehog with non-human proportions to HUMANS. The fact that you put them side by side and think they're comparable, then I really don't know what to say.

The MAJORITY of people would have laughed a cartoon Sonic out of theaters. That's not marketable as an action BLOCKBUSTER.

The MAJORITY of people are already laughing at this abomination, so this comment is invalid.

Also what others stated above, have you seen Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse? It got the universal praise everywhere, which means a lot of people will watch the movie, which means more profit. And since you're still in this dumb "only live action sells", Incredibles 2 got 1.2 billion from box office, Finding Dory got ~ 1 billion from box office, a lot of other animated movies get almost a billion dollars from box offices. So this excuse of "only live action sells" is stupid and outright wrong.

You should be happy/hoping for the movie to succeed and be great.

Yes, let's hope for yet another possible heap of trash be successful, it'll work wonders on Sonic's reputation!

Yeah, sorry, I'd rather support a good thing that's niche than a bad thing that's really popular.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Promotion 1

32 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

I agree with Shadowlax. Sonic is kind of being sent to die here and I dont think SEGA has any clue about it at all.

I am now convinced that SEGA itself has become the problem. They allowed THIS to happen. 

Maybe it was some kind of contract thing and they didn't have control over it beyond being consultants?

I really did trust them to at least not let something like this happen..

I mean, come on. I'm not very fond of the design either, but just because Sonic's design is bad doesn't necessarily mean that the whole movie will be bad. Plus, if some games like Edgy The Hedgy, 06, and Boom didn't kill Sonic, then I strongly doubt this movie will. Then again, I've been more excited for Detective Pikachu and would be surprised if the Sonic movie was reviewed well in all other aspects. 

5 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Sonic was not ever more popular than Mickey Mouse. Let's not overextend ourselves here.

Maybe not more popular than Mickey Mouse. But he sure as hell was more recognisable at some stages in the mid-late 90's. His design was, and remains to this day, one of the most iconic designs in recent history. As Iconic as Mario, or Mickey Mouse or anyone really. If you see the three spiked silhouette, you know what that is. Even people who don't follow gaming these days will see the design and they'll know what it is.

Look, this Is (most likely) going to be a PG-13 action movie. Cartoon Hedgehogs do not fit in any sort of environment where the movie's trying to have any semblance of seriousness. The MAJORITY of people would have laughed a cartoon Sonic out of theaters. That's not marketable as an action BLOCKBUSTER. Maybe for a G-Rated Alvin but not for this.

Ah yes, just how any number of Pixar, or Disney, or Dreamworks movies were laughed out of the theatres. Classics such as, Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Toy Story 3, The Incredibles, The Incredibles 2, Finding Nemo, Moana, Frozen, Tangled or Wreck-it-Ralph (a movie in which Sonic appeared). Yep, those were definitely laughed out of theatres and were commercial disasters. Even if this Sonic movie is a PG-13 action movie, it will be no more serious or dark than the Incredibles when it comes to overall tone. And yet, the Incredibles worked just fine as a fully animated feature length production. In fact, it is probably my favourite Pixar movie to date. The Toy Story movies weren't overly serious, but they were fun enough to keep kids entertained, yet contained enough thematic depth to bring grown fucking adults to tears by the third iteration.

A Sonic movie does not need to be a Marvel Cinematic Universe competitor. It doesn't need to be a grim, dark and edgy live-action blockbuster to be enjoyable. The story can be serious, but that doesn't mean it has to be live-action with some eldritch abomination character design to try and get it work along side realistic human beings. It can have thematic depth, it can have fun action. All of these things can be done through a feature length animation.

So no, a cartoon Sonic Movie, would not have been "laughed out of theatres". Such an idea is ludicrous.

Sonic =/= MCU. That much should be obvious. People are losing their minds because its fucking ugly. Having an "anatomically accurate" body shape doesn't make it a good design. Yes, yes design is subjective, but I'm willing to bet most people who see this, won't think its a good design. 

In fact, I'm willing to bet that this design will be an internet (maybe even a pop culture) laughing stock. Moreso than any cartoon, or animated Sonic movie would have ever been.

I can't speak for everyone here, but Idon't hate it cause its different. Or because its a change. I hate it because its fucking hideous. I hate it because it will probably become a fucking meme with endless reaction videos on YouTube, when the final design is properly revealed. It will be a joke. 

• Thumbs Up 9