Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

1 minute ago, Stephen Rodriguez said:

I mean, come on. I'm not very fond of the design either, but just because Sonic's design is bad doesn't necessarily mean that the whole movie will be bad.

True, but it would kinda help if I wouldn't want to look away every time they're showing him on screen because his design is god awful.

• Thumbs Up 2

31 minutes ago, Scar said:

SEGA was always the problem. Short-sighted as fuck. The insane production schedule of the PS2/GCN/XB era that culminated in a development environment so toxic that the Franchise's founding fathers all saw fit to leave to regain their spark and love for video game development.

Yeah... I also have this feeling for years actually. Sega really seems to do not care about Sonic anymore. It seems they just think that, because he is such a popular character, that fans will buy anything of him, as long as it has his face on it. Which is a horrible attitude of them. 

20 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

You should be happy/hoping for the movie to succeed and be great. This will do WONDERS for the Sonic brand much In the same way Transformers made TF a global icon for Hasbro, this movie has the potential to make Sonic a multi-media icon. I've always wanted this for Sonic

If the entire series and the fanbase will recognise Sonic with this horror design, I'd rather want it not to happen.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Razule said:

Maybe it was some kind of contract thing and they didn't have control over it beyond being consultants?

I really did trust them to at least not let something like this happen..

I sort of dont even care. You cannot do THIS to your biggest brand. This is not the result of careful thought. This will not catch on in positive sense. They had to know people would react like this. Companies pay smart people to figure that out for them.

This is not in the vein of detective pikachu or anything like that. Those designs still maintain the design essence and proportions of the originals with some modifications. This is a short gym rat in a sonic costume.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, MarioAmigosYT said:

Let us not forget that this is (technically) the second Sonic movie.

This is the OVA in 1996:
a-sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-is-happening_j2ts.jpg.fab0191b8265a1a48f8d4b281794027f.jpg

This is the 2019 movie:
3u0tmp9iag321.thumb.jpg.e44a55087f277cf5321efa5f7593b526.jpg

Why does it suddenly look worse than the fricking OVA.

Memes incoming

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

10 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Could you explain to me this weird obsession you have of wanting Sonic to become super popular, even it that means they have to twist, skew and mutate him and the entire franchise into something he's not and never was?

Like, why would you want that? That's something for some corporate bigwig to drool over.

Because I've always wanted Sonic to get the MCU treatment and be seen in the same light as Marvel heroes. I think this whole thing is very exciting. The idea of this movie spawning a franchise and turning Sonic into a huge brand Is what we ALL should want. Sonic not looking like a cartoon is a casualty of what this movie is striving to be.

And I assure you, I am very aware of this franchise's history. I was around when Sonic 06 came out and crippled the franchise. I was around when Boom was a critical bomb. I know very well the history of this franchise. 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Sonic fans can't accept change.

I always see you pick on Sonic fans about not liking the same art style as you. And If you truly believe fans opinions don't matter... then why are you EVEN ON A SONIC FAN FORUM?

How about this... just face facts we don't agree with you on this and that maybe there is a chance you are wrong about what actually appeals to most people, accept this is just what appeals to you and that you ARE in the minority here. And before you bother disagreeing with me and say this garbage actually does appeal a ton to casuals....show us real proof or don't bother. No more baseless statements with you passing opinions as so called facts and with you trying to act superior to us on this subject... I bet I can find WAY more people who hate this design then you can find people who truly love it.

• Thumbs Up 2

...Welp, I’m going back to play Rise of Lyric and appreciate the Boom character redesigns.

(Also oh god I can’t imagine any of the other characters translating to this style without coming off even worse.)

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Razule said:

Maybe it was some kind of contract thing and they didn't have control over it beyond being consultants?

I really did trust them to at least not let something like this happen..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Iizuka had said that he's only working in the project as a supervisor, whilst others have implied that SEGA's involvement is relatively minimal too. The movie has spent a bit of time in some degree of production hell, getting pushed back and directors and scripts being swapped out. Or something like that... I've really not tried to follow it at all. But my point is that it certainly does seem to bee that SEGA isn't really very involved here. For whatever reason, it appears that they've been pushed aside. Maybe that was the deal from day one, maybe that's just the way that contracts have forced things down the line in order for the movie to actually get made? This is just speculation, after all. Is Marza still involved? Because at the beginning, that definitely made it sound like that movie was going to be a SEGA thing.

SEGA have been very tight-lipped about the movie. They just don't seem to be a big part of it. We might all be misconstruing those comments about Sonic's design in the IGN article, but it certainly sounds like they did a thing, SEGA didn't like it but then they had to accept it anyway.

• Thumbs Up 5

I just dont think anyone was expecting sonic to be 1:1 with the games design. No one was. We knew he'd be different. But we thought he'd still be sonic in proportions. The humanoid thing was a joke no one took seriously. 

This is just a bad idea, no matter how you spin it. It's not going to make sonic more popular than ever or anything silly like that. It's just meme fodder.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

8 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Because I've always wanted Sonic to get the MCU treatment and be seen in the same light as Marvel heroes. I think this whole thing is very exciting. The idea of this movie spawning a franchise and turning Sonic into a huge brand Is what we ALL should want. Sonic not looking like a cartoon is a casualty of what this movie is striving to be.

And I assure you, I am very aware of this franchise's history. I was around when Sonic 06 came out and crippled the franchise. I was around when Boom was a critical bomb. I know very well the history of this franchise. 

I hate to say it but apparently you don't really like the franchise/character at all to begin with, if you'd be happy to see it turn into a monstrosity just to be up there with the "big boys". Because apparently if something is not super ultimate mainstream, why bother liking and enjoying it? God forbid we have something niche and not mainstream. Because mainstream always works out so great for everything.

• Thumbs Up 3

Detective Pikachu’s “realistic” designs work because they still keep some of the basic shapes and colours of the original Pokémon from the games, making them almost instantly recognisable. I know not everyone is a fan of them (personally I’m 50-50), but you can’t deny that they still look pretty much the same despite all the fur and scales. 

This realistic design for Sonic on the other hand is most certainly NOT in proportion to Sonic’s original game design and we can already tell that his shoes, gloves and even his eyes are going to be completely different and not in a good way either. I’m certainly not convinced! This lanky, weird looking hedgehog monster really does look like something out of a horror movie! 

• Thumbs Up 7

... Wow, so much negativity in here. 

You'd think we'd be used to cartoony comic book animals being turned into live action friends. 

u-g-Q12XXCD0.jpg?w=550&h=550&p=0

guardiansofthegalaxy2-rocket-ship-worrie

Guess what? Sonic looks fine by current Hollywood standards. You know how much worse this could have been? 

latest?cb=20150402143505

rb___1.jpg

0_Mowgli-Legend-of-the-Jungle.jpg

As long as Sonic doesn't look like Andy Serkis' Mowgli where the animals have been made to have the likenesses of their actors, then this is miles better than what we could have gotten. In a post MCU world, you should have expected a Sonic that looked like this or like one of the Muppets from Where the Wild Things Are (which was perfect and people apparently don't understand a good movie when they see it). 

Also, mind if I just say?

I called it???

• Thumbs Up 1

Just a reminder about character design, the idea is to make something that is aesthetically pleasing to the audience since you'll be looking at it for long stretches of time, especially if it is a main character. The team for Detective Pikachu understood this and stayed truthfully to the designs unlike what the Sonic movie team has done. While one can argue that there are changes that have to be done for live action, it is at that point that you have to ask if those changes are reasonable and if a live action movie is really a good design. In the case of Detective Pikachu it helps that Pikachu is at the end of the day a fat mouse with similar proportions to real life mice and other rodents making the transition possible. Sonic on the other hand takes no cues from anything in real life asides from having four limbs, a tail, and a head resulting in his design not lending itself favorably to a live action adaption which is what has resulted in such vitriol for the presented design. Actually

4 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Sonic not looking like a cartoon is a casualty of what this movie is striving to be.

This is probably one of the most important things to be brought to the fore. Sonic not looking like a cartoon character as a casualty is one of the worse things that can happen because Sonic is a cartoon videogame character. Throwing out that he is a cartoon has always been a bad decision in light of his design and the medium that takes best advantage of that design. You don't design a cartoon character to take advantage of the cartoon medium in all of its extremes to ever use in a live action setting. From the get go it's just incongruent.

• Thumbs Up 6

2 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Iizuka had said that he's only working in the project as a supervisor, whilst others have implied that SEGA's involvement is relatively minimal too. The movie has spent a bit of time in some degree of production hell, getting pushed back and directors and scripts being swapped out. Or something like that... I've really not tried to follow it at all. But my point is that it certainly does seem to bee that SEGA isn't really very involved here. For whatever reason, it appears that they've been pushed aside. Maybe that was the deal from day one, maybe that's just the way that contracts have forced things down the line in order for the movie to actually get made? This is just speculation, after all. Is Marza still involved? Because at the beginning, that definitely made it sound like that movie was going to be a SEGA thing.

SEGA have been very tight-lipped about the movie. They just don't seem to be a big part of it. We might all be misconstruing those comments about Sonic's design in the IGN article, but it certainly sounds like they did a thing, SEGA didn't like it but then they had to accept it anyway.

At which point, I'm sitting here wondering why SEGA ever allowed this type of arrangement. And I'm wondering how anyone involved in the production of this movie thought this monstrosity of a character design was a good idea. Or why having Sonic in a live-action production was a good idea in the first place.

This should have been an animation from the start.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Because I've always wanted Sonic to get the MCU treatment and be seen in the same light as Marvel heroes.

Something like a MCU can only work, if you have many different series with different characters and stories to tell. Sonic can't work as his own CU because you can only pull of characters from one single story, and in this case it is theSonic the Hedgehog series.

5 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

Sonic looks fine by current Hollywood standards.

Apparently "current Hollywood standards" are super low.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

You'd think we'd be used to cartoony comic book animals being turned into live action friends. 

Guess what? Sonic looks fine by current Hollywood standards. You know how much worse this could have been? 

As long as Sonic doesn't look like Andy Serkis' Mowgli where the animals have been made to have the likenesses of their actors, then this is miles better than what we could have gotten. In a post MCU world, you should have expected a Sonic that looked like this or like one of the Muppets from Where the Wild Things Are (which was perfect and people apparently don't understand a good movie when they see it). 

Also, mind if I just say?

I called it???

I'll give you Rocket. I mean he is just a vanilla raccoon, but with heightened intelligence, but I'll grant you that one.

Garfield's design however...I personally never liked it. That and that actual movie was hot garbage.

And all that aside. Just because there are other animal mascots brought to live-action does not mean I can't be negative about this design. Its bad. Its just bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, I'll take high fantasy furry art intermingling with our world over whatever the Turtles stuff was supposed to be. 

Also Sonic looks nicely proportioned? He has a head bigger than the rest of his body. 

latest?cb=20171117164455

I don't know about you all, but it looks about right for a realistic Sonic to me. If you didn't want a realistic Sonic, well... I'm sorry. But this may not be for you then. 

I can understand that Hollywood trying to somewhat make a slight design change for Sonic so that he would appeal to the modern audience of movie watchers, but this design is just fucking garbage and doesn't sit well. They could've at least left Sonic's modern design mostly intact.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

u-g-Q12XXCD0.jpg?w=550&h=550&p=0

guardiansofthegalaxy2-rocket-ship-worrie

Your argument doesn't really work on multiple points.

1) You used a very cartoony drawing of Rocket despite their being plenty of examples from the comics that actually better match his movie design.
2) At no point have Marvel minimized or downplayed Rocket being based on a real racoon. A better comparison would have been if you took Marine the Raccoon and compared her to rocket which would again just shown how incompatible Sonic's design philosophy is with a live action design philosophy.

• Thumbs Up 9

11 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

I want sonic to be super popular as well but I already know this wont do it. Because this isnt sonic. Sonic actually does have an identity, contrary to SEGA's mishandling of the brand since the 2000s. I'm just too aware of what sonic has been from the beginning and why it ever worked in the first place. And most people are. This is an abomination compared to that.

Sonic will never be anything like the MCU, it is completely different in every way. Sonic l's biggest problem in 20 years has been that it hasnt focused nearly enough on just being the iconic character he already was. This is adding gasoline to that fire.

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay so here is my thought:

While the motion poster design is obviously awful the actual design has not been revealed yet.

I actually want to see the full reveal before I start bitching

Oh it will come but not now.