Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

15 minutes ago, GuyWithThePie said:

Someone brightened the image a bit. (The green eye on his actual face was added by the user as a prediction)

Looks like they want to make him look like an actual hedgehog...

16DB4378-427D-4CC8-BF66-F85C1D471975.jpeg

Which seems like a very bad idea.

Image result for blue hedgehog

Looks like the movie is going to be based on a hedgehog who doesn't look like Sonic at all...

I think they should have revealed Sonic's full design. It just looks really bad at this stage.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

To be a fair to this film sega has even from sonic 1 , tried to make humans in sonic land a thing.

Its just that outside of like Eggman, people thinking topaz from sonic x was okay , maria kinda and Prof pickles, its never worked and always has been weird despite them continuing to push it. And in many ways has contributing some of the most embarrassing and confusing elements of the franchise. So it baffles me, wait no it doesn't because movie studio's are dumb, so its disappointing to me that they chose to not only focus on sonic in humanland for the first sonic film , but to try and adapt his design to that world instead of the reverse

I know humans existed in Sonic's world from day one, but Eggman is the only recurring one in the series and his body shape barely qualifies. Don't get me wrong, animated humans are fine with me. Real ones don't work though, unless it's a Roger Rabbit-type deal.

• Thumbs Up 3

36 minutes ago, MarioAmigosYT said:

It failed because it wasn't what the fans wanted anyways.

Not to put words into his mouth, but I wouldn't be surprised if his reply was something along the lines of "Who cares about the fans? This is not for them. This is to widen the appeal of the franchise to the mainstream!".

Here's a thought that maybe hasn't been brought up:

I'm real curious whether showing Sonic true to his actual design in both Wreck-it-Ralph movies, then changing his design so drastically in his own movie will backfire on them or not. Setting a false expectation for viewers in the Wreck-it-Ralph movies, only to then have this thing later.

It does have beady eyes guys. Read the article. Tim Miller even says Sega weren't happy with the eyes but went along with it.

Curiously, every not Sonic fan on Facebook and it the office today could not see why I had a problem with it. Maybe it will have wider appeal.

Either way, it won't damage the brand. People didn't get confused with the two Marios (game and movie) back in 1993. Infact, off topic but I wish you could play as Bob Hoskins Mario in Smash haha.

Let me remind everyone 

His eyes aren't beads. They wouldn't be saying it looked faithful if he had the face of a real Hedgehog

• Thumbs Up 1

Absolutely hilarious stuff.  The reports from the preview teaser a few days ago all sounded to me like they'd backpedalled hard on the design, that we were really just going to get standard Sonic with a furry texture - but no.  Somehow, I don't know how, they actually managed to make something exactly as bad as everyone had feared since the day we heard "live action" - if not worse!  The little beady eyes, the Ken Penders musculature, the mismatched proportions and out-of-place real sneakers - there's no single element of the design that isn't a grotesque failure.  I'm genuinely impressed that they managed to make it as bad as they have.

This pretty much completes the list of strikes against the film.  Wrong premise, wrong setting, wrong design - just about everything that could go wrong with the movie has now been established to have gone wrong.  It's a classic case of a popular franchise with wide appeal being rebooted to drop the existing fanbase like a rock in order to appeal to a fictitious construction of a western taste for the "realistic," which apparently means ugly.  In that sense, I'm amazed that SEGA managed to repeat the Boom fiasco so soon - just how bad is their management?  They clearly understand nothing about either their fanbase or their product.  Fortunately, the precedent for those indicates that we can soon expect this laughing stock to be kicked into the trash, hopefully with Mania 2 (or just about anything else, really) coming out hot on its heels to wash the bad taste out.

• Thumbs Up 9

1 minute ago, Dr Ryan said:

It does have beady eyes guys. Read the article. Tim Miller even says Sega weren't happy with the eyes but went along with it.

Curiously, every not Sonic fan on Facebook and it the office today could not see why I had a problem with it. Maybe it will have wider appeal.

Either way, it won't damage the brand. People didn't get confused with the two Marios (game and movie) back in 1993. Infact, off topic but I wish you could play as Bob Hoskins Mario in Smash haha.

I've also shown more people and they don't have a problem with the design. I don't even understand myself what is so wrong with it. It's game Sonic with blue thick arms and legs and new shoes that remind me of his attire in Sonic Riders, actually. If the design looked like that 06 model, it would have looked like a Pixar cartoon and that's precisely what Tim said he did NOT want. 

Save for some proportion shuffling, and whatever might be going on with his eyes, I don't even think its as far a departure from his game model as we may be jumping too.

I'll save my overreactions for when we can see his face. That'll be the make it or break it moement for the model.

5 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

new shoes that remind me of his attire in Sonic Riders, actually.. 

They should have just given him his riders shoes honestly. Just going with basic red sneakers seems like a missed opportunity. Maybe he'll get an "upgrade" during the movie

Spoiler

also - despite my disappointment - they better start selling those shoes. I'd buy a pair.

9 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Let me remind everyone 

His eyes aren't beads. They wouldn't be saying it looked faithful if he had the face of a real Hedgehog

Can we find the Twitter users and get confirmation? I'd do it myself but am just about to drive a car for quite some time.

51 minutes ago, Pawn said:

I know humans existed in Sonic's world from day one, but Eggman is the only recurring one in the series and his body shape barely qualifies. Don't get me wrong, animated humans are fine with me. Real ones don't work though, unless it's a Roger Rabbit-type deal.

I really, really agree with this. Humans and realism have never been a key part of the brand. They've just existed from time to time and never in the forefront. The one time it was really pushed was in '06, and long before the game was out we had any inclination as to how bad the game was going to be, the humans and realism specifically drew a lot of ire. SA1 before it with its anime humans or Unleashed after it with its Pixar world were met with the exact same criticism. What this movie is getting so horribly wrong is that it's not creating a world around Sonic or the Sonic brand and it's instead just trying to inject Sonic into the real world. From what admittedly little we know so far, the angle they've decided to take is simply one that's almost impossible to make work. 

Sonic has always walked this nebulous and ever-changing changing line of being cool and relevant. What's big in cinema right now? Super heroes and live action adaptations. A straight-up animated film reminiscent of Pixar could struggle to distance itself from being seen as a purely young children's film with the fact that Sonic is an already-existing brand; it would probably be a bit too out of date. But in avoiding that they've just gone full-circle, making something that's uncanny and unfamiliar. Going live-action should never have been the answer for "how do we bring Sonic to the silver screen to reach as wide an audience as possible?". The series already has an art- and design-style that could be adapted and re-do led to serve a different image of they didn't want to embrace the look of the games over the past decade. The world should always be build around Sonic. If you're building Sonic around the world, like this movie is (or like '06 did), it will only end badly.

• Thumbs Up 7

11 minutes ago, Dr Ryan said:

Can we find the Twitter users and get confirmation? I'd do it myself but am just about to drive a car for quite some time.

I don't know how different the silhouette could possibly be from the full design, but I'm.. in doubt about how familiar they are with Sonic's design if they think it's a dead ringer for this:

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Razule said:

I don't know how different the silhouette could possibly be from the full design, but I'm.. in doubt about how familiar they are with Sonic's design if they think it's a dead ringer for this:

That's a great question as it's almost like saying a square and circle are pretty much the same. The comparison doesn't add up at all to me.

16 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I really, really agree with this. Humans and realism have been been a key part of the brand. The one time it was really pushed was in '06, and long before the game was out we had any inclination as to how bad the game was going to be, the humans and realism specifically drew a lot of ire. SA1 before it with its anime humans or Unleashed after it with its Pixar world were met with the exact same criticism. What this movie is getting so horribly wrong is that it's not creating a world around Sonic or the Sonic brand and it's instead just trying to inject Sonic into the real world. From what admittedly little we know so far, the angle they've decided to take is simply one that's almost impossible to make work. 

Sonic has always walked this nebulous and ever-changing changing line of being cool and relevant. What's big in cinema right now? Super heroes and live action adaptations. A straight-up animated film reminiscent of Pixar could struggle to distance itself from being seen as a purely young children's film with the fact that Sonic is an already-existing brand; it would probably be a bit too out of date. But in avoiding that they've just gone full-circle, making something that's uncanny and unfamiliar. Going live-action should never have been the answer for "how do we bring Sonic to the silver screen to reach as wide an audience as possible?". The series already has an art- and design-style that could be adapted and re-do led to serve a different image of they didn't want to embrace the look of the games over the past decade. The world should always be build around Sonic. If you're building Sonic around the world, like this movie is (or like '06 did), it will only end badly.

I pretty much agree with you 100%

Them going live-action is less MCU, and more Garfield or Smurfs. The film, before its even released will be put in the latter category. Nobody who watches this movie, or takes their kids to see it are ever going to be taking it seriously as a film. They're most likely either going to see it for the memes, or to placate their children for a few hours.

Maybe the Pixar approach would be a bit too out of date, or indeed force it into the children's movie category, but this live-action movie is going to be seen in the exact same way, except people will be laughing at it. At least with the Pixar approach they can cater to kids, but also attempt to tell a heartfelt or engaging story for the adults present and not instantly mentally check out. The story could even be decent, but people won't be able to take it seriously cause of how ridiculous and alien Sonic looks.

And ultimately, I would rather a Sonic movie be compared (favourably or otherwise) to a Pixar or Dreamworks movie than the fucking Smurfs. 

I mean Night of the Werehog being a pretty amazing example of what a Sonic Movie could have been. I also still think Unleashed's approach to human design was and is the best the franchise has ever had. With a little refinement, it would be the style I would choose to go forward with for the forseeable future. I'd have loved to have seen them attempt something like NotW, but with a larger scope/story. 

• Thumbs Up 6

1 minute ago, Sonic Fan J said:

That's a great question as it's almost like saying a square and circle are pretty much the same. The comparison doesn't add up at all to me.

Because it's like I said before, casual fans do not analyze every single detail of Sonic's design. The design is recognizable as Sonic And the trailer got a positive response from the audience. But they said the face is still exaggerated and cartoony. 

So I'm guessing it's something like this

the_blue_hedgehog_by_fayelenefyre_d5u770x-fullview.jpg.8a5496312069ae3f35e05e43d16d4315.jpg

• My Emmerdoods 1

I really do feel sorry for Sonic. It's almost like some kind of sick joke, like some high ups in SEGA get off on fucking up the franchise in the worst ways imaginable on a consistent basis.

• My Emmerdoods 3
  • Too Many Rings 1

Whoo boy, here we go again with the internet negativity train X_X

I saw the poster, and while I was surprised by what I saw... yeah, the instant negativity and outrage and mockery is once again, in my opinion, way beyond overblown and overly dramatic.

I think he looks fine based on this teaser, and I won't be able to fully judge until I see a clear picture of him with all of his features.

• Fist Bump 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

25 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I really, really agree with this. Humans and realism have never been a key part of the brand. They've just existed from time to time and never in the forefront. The one time it was really pushed was in '06, and long before the game was out we had any inclination as to how bad the game was going to be, the humans and realism specifically drew a lot of ire. SA1 before it with its anime humans or Unleashed after it with its Pixar world were met with the exact same criticism. What this movie is getting so horribly wrong is that it's not creating a world around Sonic or the Sonic brand and it's instead just trying to inject Sonic into the real world. From what admittedly little we know so far, the angle they've decided to take is simply one that's almost impossible to make work. 

Everyone understands Sonic is for kids so releasing something explicitly seen as 'for kids' wouldn't actually hurt all that much. It's not like animated films don't make money every year.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, Bucket said:

Whoo boy, here we go again with the internet negativity train X_X

I saw the poster, and while I was surprised by what I saw... yeah, the instant negativity and outrage and mockery is once again, in my opinion, way beyond overblown and overly dramatic.

I think he looks fine based on this teaser, and I won't be able to fully judge until I see a clear picture of him with all of his features.

He looks fucking hideous and is completely unrecognisable from the actual Sonic design. The design is a disaster and is rightly being called out.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Wraith said:

Star Wars are risky ventures now?

Well,  ever since Last Jedi,  it may be, but that's besides the point. 

December releases are rarely ever the time for bad movie "sentenced to die" bits that are actually intentional. More often than not,  they're placed there to profit off of people on Winter/ Christmas breaks or whatnot. 

7 minutes ago, Scar said:

I pretty much agree with you 100%

Them going live-action is less MCU, and more Garfield or Smurfs. The film, before its even released will be put in the latter category. Nobody who watches this movie, or takes their kids to see it are ever going to be taking it seriously as a film. They're most likely either going to see it for the memes, or to placate their children for a few hours.

Maybe the Pixar approach would be a bit too out of date, or indeed force it into the children's movie category, but this live-action movie is going to be seen in the exact same way, except people will be laughing at it. At least with the Pixar approach they can cater to kids, but also attempt to tell a heartfelt or engaging story for the adults present and not instantly mentally check out. The story could even be decent, but people won't be able to take it seriously cause of how ridiculous and alien Sonic looks.

And ultimately, I would rather a Sonic movie be compared (favourably or otherwise) to a Pixar or Dreamworks movie than the fucking Smurfs. 

I mean Night of the Werehog being a pretty amazing example of what a Sonic Movie could have been. I also still think Unleashed's approach to human design was and is the best the franchise has ever had. With a little refinement, it would be the style I would choose to go forward with for the forseeable future. I'd have loved to have seen them attempt something like NotW, but with a larger scope/story. 

If the trailer presents itself in the same light as Fast and Furious/and/or Guardians then NOBODY is going to believe it's a kiddie movie for 7 year olds. This is why I did NOT want them tk go the Pixar route because the era of Sonic I grew up with in my early childhood was the self-serious era in the Adventure series and 06. I watched Sonic X, SATAM and read the Archie comics based on the modern era. I've alway preferred Sonic as more serious, story-driven games and I don't care for the post-Colors Pontaff era we're living in now. Going back the old games, it was alway about the balance of nature.

The poster for the movie alone gives off a Sci-Fi, alien vibe. Sonic looking like an alien is the point because that's exactly what he is in the movie, a creature from another planet being chased by the Government. Just because it's a CG creature does not mean people will laugh and think it's funny. Who laughed when this trailer was released:

Or this trailer with animated CG Turtles

Both of these movies were not jokes. If Sonic looked like a cartoon then yes, people WOULD laugh at him. And that's why he got an update. .