Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

On 12/11/2018 at 3:48 AM, Ryannumber1Santa said:

At least the Mario movie might be good, at the very least they've seemed to understand that animation was the best idea to take the series. 

I think this is the key argument why movies like Spiderman work and why even the Detective Pikachu and Super Mario movie might work. People do understand what makes Spiderman who he is. People also do understand the lore of Pokémon and Mario. You can not really say the same thing about Sonic. Nobody really understands Sonic. Not even Sonic Team, or Sega, some writers or even us fans. I for sure can't. 

I can not actually explain other people what Sonic is supposed to be. Yeah, he is a blue hedgehog that runs really fast, eats a lot of chili dogs and stops Dr. Eggman to take over the world.  But that's about it. I can't really explain what his universe for example is. Does it takes place on earth, on Mobius? Is it the current time or the future? Do humans live in this world or not? Are dimension and time traveling a thing in Sonic? How is the tone? Is it an adventure, a comedy, a drama?

No one can really tell, because Sega changed Sonic so much over the years, to the point where this series has no real idea what it wants to be.

This movie will likely be another new take-on on Sonic with a different tone, a different universe and new main characters. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1

6 minutes ago, Rowl said:

I think this is the key argument why movies like Spiderman work and why even the Detective Pikachu and Super Mario movie might work. People do understand what makes Spiderman who he is. You can not really say the same thing about Sonic. Nobody really understands Sonic. No one can tell. Either Sega, writers or even us fans. I for sure can't. 

I can not actually explain other people what Sonic is supposed to be. Yeah, he is a blue hedgehog that runs really fast, eats chili dogs and stops Dr. Eggman to take over the world.  But that's about it. I can't really explain what the universe for example is. Those it takes place on earth, on Mobius? Is it the current time or the future? Do humans live in this world or not? Are dimension and time travel a thing in Sonic? How is the tone? Is it an adventure, a comedy, a drama?

No one can really tell, because Sega changed Sonic so much over the years. This series has no real idea what it wants to be.

People understand who Sonic is tho. The very basic premise is Sonic and co. fighting Dr.Eggman to prevent the mad scientist from taking over the world and turning it into an amusement park. We don't need to deal with the whole two worlds stuff, time travel, alternate universe stuff. Especially since SEGA themselves don't really give a shit about that stuff. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, Dejimon11 said:

We don't need to deal with the whole two worlds stuff, time travel, alternate universe stuff. Especially since SEGA themselves don't really give a shit about that stuff. 

Than why even bring this idea up, if no one should care about it? This is actually not really a good attitude. People, no matter if its the fans or the creators, should show interest about stuff like this. Those are in the end very important key elements for a story. If they do no matter in the end, than the whole story doesn't matter as well.

• My Emmerdoods 1

17 minutes ago, Rowl said:

Than why even bring this idea up, if no one should care about it? This is actually not really a good attitude. People, no matter if its the fans or the creators, should show interest about stuff like this. Those are in the end very important key elements for a story. If they do no matter in the end, than the whole story doesn't matter as well.

I'm not disagreeing with you but you can tell that with the games they just straight up don't care. May I remind you that with Sonic Generations they kept stating that they were traveling through time and that Classic Sonic was from the past but with Forces he's from an alternate universe? 

I am actually intrigued by the design they're going for (and to be honest, I like what they did with Sonic's arms lol.  The blue arms are probably a shot at ole' he who shall not be named and rhymes with dan pan).  If anything, Sonic make look interesting...Jim Carrey is still the worst Robotnik ever though! :0

I was gonna make a final version of my prediction of what he'll look like now that I'm back home and have access to my drawing tablet and SAI, but I think I'll just let this image speak for itself. This is pretty much what I was trying to get across.

9D30FC22-11B9-4960-AEE5-5EE79C0CBC1D.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1
  • My Emmerdoods 3

I like bad films but at the same time I'm tired of Sonic receiving garbage time and again. 

Hmm. This is going to really conflict with each other... 

Also this from /r/sonicthehedgehog, which is basically what I was trying to do except whoever did it wasn't restricted to their phone at the time.

I actually wouldn't really mind if his face ends up looking like this, it's kinda cute. But a real hedgehog's face on a freaky human body is uncanny valley territory.

59CA2D47-890B-4A22-AF0F-DAA331332F35.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Kenny's two cents on the topic:

This is the first and most likely the last time I'll agree with Kenders. Man, this movie poster is bringing us together in ways we have never anticipated. I like these little cents being thrown in.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, horridus said:

An ironic statement from the man given that that redesign is the precise kind of thing he himself would peddle and encourage, and his OWN ideas weren't exactly going to wow the fandom either given his hyperfixation on a niche part of the franchise to the exclusion of everything else. 

Honestly though, I wouldn't pay much attention to what he says in regards to this film. Penders has repeatedly tried to deny that this was ever going to happen and demonstrated a rather prolonged amount of bitterness over the fact that its happening while his own ambitions died in flames. Even if this film looked good he'd still trash it for the simple crime of not being the film HE was going to make. His two cents ain't worth a halfpenny. 

Well said. 

1 hour ago, Alexios31 said:

How is everyone doing 12 or so hours later?

I'm past the denial part and heading into the acceptance stage. 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

No. It is a lie. Jeff Fowler literally worked on the CG cutscenes for Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog. Patrick Casey grew up playing the Genesis games.

Well that just makes this whole thing even more baffling. Sadly loving something apparently doesn't always translate to understanding the material.

So now we don't have a cartoony, mickey-mouse-esque blue "hedgehog" that doesn't "fit" with humans, we have a creature that has the beady-eyed head of a real hedgehog, the hairdo and proportions of a cartoon, supplanted onto the body of a burly, furry toddler... Who is also still blue. Great win for realism, though?

Who will actually like this design? Parents are probably gonna be offput by how freaky it looks as a mascot targeted at their kids, kids won't be drawn in with his awkward body proportions, especially compared to the smooth and appealing cartoon aesthetic he's renowned for, teenagers will know better and probably laugh at it, fans already hate it, adults won't know how to respond to it...

Seems like the only real reason for people to watch this outside the potential trainwreck it could be, is Jim Carrey as Eggman. Which hey, it's something. It'll do nothing for the Sonic brand specifically, just fans of Carrey who want to see whatever other dumb popcorn flicks he stars in, but it's still... something, I guess...

• Thumbs Up 4

Tbh guys, I'm thinking more and more this movie isn't for 'us' (the fans). Every post regarding it on FB has massively more likes than angry or laughing reacts. Sure, there are negative comments but they're still disproportionate to the casuals who just see the post and think 'Hey, that's cool!' *like*

All signs point to the design looking like shit (and I'm sure, by now after seeing the Detective Pikachu reactions, the creative team realise the fucked up) but I'm sure it'll still make an insane amount of money regardless.

I do have a question:

This seems to happen a lot. You take a cartoon character, throw him to a live action world. You have to tweak the design to make it fit. The design is almost always panned.

You'd think film studios would stop doing this but no. They keep at it. They just keep on trying to stick a round peg in a volcanic hole. 

... Why? 

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I do have a question:

This seems to happen a lot. You take a cartoon character, throw him to a live action world. You have to tweak the design to make it fit. The design is almost always panned.

You'd think film studios would stop doing this but no. They keep at it. They just keep on trying to stick a round peg in a volcanic hole. 

... Why? 

Because it keeps making them money. That's why there are 4 Alvin movies, 2 Smurf movies, 5 Transformers and 2 TMNTs 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dr Ryan said:

Tbh guys, I'm thinking more and more this movie isn't for 'us' (the fans).

This is actually the case for most live action movies of famous cartoon characters. Look at the first two Smurf movies. They have almost nothing in common with the source material. Same you can also say about the Garfield movies, the Chipmunks movies and also with Sonic. This movie was mostly made to bring in new kids to the franchise. 

46 minutes ago, Rowl said:

This is actually the case for most live action movies of famous cartoon characters. Look at the first two Smurf movies. They have almost nothing in common with the source material. Same you can also say about the Garfield movies, the Chipmunks movies and also with Sonic. This movie was mostly made to bring in new kids to the franchise. 

I'm real curious how well that actually works in real life.

Say a kid genuinely likes this movie, checks out the previous Sonic stuff only to find out it's nothing like the movie but some cartoony hedgehog with his cutesy friends in colorful cartoony environments. Will he really stick around?

• Thumbs Up 4