Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Could you all live with this?

@Blue Knight/Bluestreak What happened is that the people who saw the footage are casual fans so there isn't a huge difference between that image and what we're actually getting. Plus he was likely moving too fast for them to really see his proportions. 

• Thumbs Up 3

10 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Could you all live with this?

@Blue Knight/Bluestreak What happened is that the people who saw the footage are casual fans so there isn't a huge difference between that image and what we're actually getting. Plus he was likely moving too fast for them to really see his proportions. 

No, I cannot. It looks frankly ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 2

28 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Go to Facebook and you'll see the reception is also much more positive than it is on here. Lol everybody here is acting like the sky is falling because Sonic doesn't have noodle arms. I should have known there would be a volcanic meltdown over the slightest change after the Boom backlash.

If only that was the least of our problems. 

lol "slightest change", yeah. The same franchise that once complained about eye's color change, imagine. Either way it doesn't matter, it's still garbage design. But yeah, @Tarnish is right.

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

But they did see the up close of Sonic's face, so obviously (hopefully) that hasn't been messed with too much.

42 minutes ago, Jango said:

If only that was the least of our problems. 

lol "slightest change", yeah. The same franchise that once complained about eye's color change, imagine. Either way it doesn't matter, it's still garbage design. But yeah, @Tarnish is right.

The design isn't even that drastic of a change. It keeps the basic shape from the games and adds realistic elements like limbs that don't look like bendy straw. It's all part of the process of making Sonic feel real. Once we start getting trailers and a feel for what they're going for, you'll understand why the noodle-arms and stick-figure build with Mickey Mouse gloves -- would have never worked with this movie  

14 minutes ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

But they did see the up close of Sonic's face, so obviously (hopefully) that hasn't been messed with too much.

Hopefully it looks like this

4n3tuqkdi1511.thumb.jpg.388a7cac05ea79eb5707322116cc0b2d.jpg

1 hour ago, Dr Ryan said:

They're going crazy for it on James Marsden's Instagram...

Screenshot_20181211-133350.jpg

This is now proof of something?

Any celeb who has fans or followers on something mindlessly support what they post.

Even fans of lindsay lohan were supporting her for trying to kidnap that families children.

But movie design is absolute garbage. Everybody knows it, even some very high profile Sonic fans think it's utter trash, I don't know why they're keeping so quiet, well I do. They don't want to risk souring their relationship with Sega.

Even the shoes are just a product placement waiting to happen. 

• Thumbs Up 8

5 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

The design isn't even that drastic of a change. It keeps the basic shape from the games and adds realistic elements like limbs that don't look like bendy straw. It's all part of the process of making Sonic feel real. Once we start getting trailers and a feel for what they're going for, you'll understand why the noodle-arms and stick-figure build with Mickey Mouse gloves -- would have never worked with this movie  

Hopefully it looks like this

4n3tuqkdi1511.thumb.jpg.388a7cac05ea79eb5707322116cc0b2d.jpg

I feel like in the poster he looks much more short and stubby... and like... muscley? ick!

This was posted on Twitter and hopefully this is the approach they went with for Sonic's eyes.

My guess the model in the poster could be a test model. And if the model in the upcoming teaser still gets negative reaction, maybe they change the model slightly. Nothing much though like the shoes, and round the legs a little more, plus gloves (because it's hard to tell in the poster if he's got gloves on). Because there'll still be like 10-11 months before release. Again can't say anything about the eyes, face, mouth/nose or chest colorization yet until the full reveal.

• Thumbs Up 3

19 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Because most people don't care. Nobody at that panel was screaming in hyperbolic anger that "IT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE SONIC!!!" Because it's recognizable as Sonic. It has 6 quills, red shoes, and the exact same silhouette as the games. If you showed a random person a picture, they would clearly see Sonic the Hedgehog. And the human complaints are completely overblown, nothing about it looks like a guy in a costume. I don't see abs/a six pack and ripped thighs. His thighs are more developed than the games because he's a RUNNER. It makes perfect sense. The alternative was noodle limbs and that would have looked terrible on the big screen. The only thing that gives me pause on this design are the arms. I wish they were flesh colored but it's something I can live without. 

There is a huge difference between the games now and the way they were in the early 2000s. Yes, they were aimed at kids but the stories themselves were mature and layered. The characters themselves had development and actual arcs, there were REAL stakes and Eggman was not an idiot. The early 2000s era of Sonic did take itself much more seriously and the movie is pulling from that and adapting it for a wider audience. Why are so many acting so suprised that the movie wants to take a more Sci-Fi approach when Sonic WAS Sci-Fi for a good 9 years? Sonic Adventure lends itself to a blockbuster action film. People keep saying "Who is the target audience for this movie??!?" The target is everyone. But they want to send a message this this Is not a Disney movie aimed at 6 year olds, they want to go deeper than that and strive for something greater. Paramount wants out of Sonic what they got out of Transformers and Sega wants out of Sonic what Hasbro got out of Bayformers success: Brand awareness. 

So no, An animated kids Pixar movie is not what either Party wants.

As for him being an alien. What is wrong with that? He was an alien in Sonic X and in the Archie comics, he's basically like an alien in a way since he's not natural. None of the Mobians are. What is the alternative? He's from another planet because it makes sense. 

To your first point, no one caring is part of the problem here. They're making a film for people who don't care and that is what allows them to go with their vision and not be truthful to the source material. I mean you have to consider that in the IGN reveal article that Tim Miller blatantly admits that SEGA is not happy wit hwhat they did wit hteh eyes and they pretty much said too bad. That's disrespectful at the very least. And as for a guy in a costume, that poster shows someone with bulked up legs than I have and I lift up to (with help obviously) 300 pound boxes on a daily basis using my legs as per back protection principals. I'm a an actual human being and this weird design that I find to be an abomination has proportionally larger thighs than I do. Actual runners do not. All that said though, I agree with you that a noodle limb cartoon character has no business being in a live action movie. The difference between us is that you think redesigning a noodle limb character to fit in a medium that they were not made for is a good idea while I say it should not be done just because of how limiting live action is due to the necessity to meet being realistic and believable in the real world.

With your second point, I actually agree that the games taking themselves more seriously was fine and is actually my preference. I disagree though that being aimed at kids means that can't happen. I would like the proof that aiming at kids absolutely means that it has to mindless feel good fluff with no depth or care because frankly I loathe that mentality. What you expose kids to should help them learn and understand as well, and sugar coating everything you can and hiding what you can't will just make them thinned skinned and incapable of handling the real world when they are suddenly thrust into and expected to just know everything that was hidden or candy coated because they are that age now. It's one of the things I liked about Sonic before colors was the lack of fear to show things to kids that isn't candy coated. As for the sci-fi aspect, I'm not surprised at all since as you say, sci-fi is part of who Sonic is, though you actually are under playing it. From the beginning Sonic has always been a sci-fi/fantasy hybrid with a fantastical woodland creature taking on a mad robotics engineer with some mixture of mythical artifacts and gods mixed in. And frankly the lack of the fantasy elements has been one of my problems with the movie since I heard the earliest plot points. And the question of who this movie is for is based on all of the disparate information more so than anything. we all know it's for the general audience, but even the general audience has subdivisions that have to be considered during the brainstorming sessions of creating any product, and kid game mascot, with adult pleasing buddy cop, with extreme sci-fi action seems a like an odd mixture for the general audience to say nothing of trying to use the brand recognition of an arguably fallen video game icon. It makes the imagery of the intended audience muddled, unless as you say they want to make a movie for literally everyone which we all know is impossible because tastes vary way to much. And not wanting a movie aimed at kids out of a mascot franchise aimed to take from the market share of another mascot franchise aimed at kids means they chose the wrong franchise to begin with. For as much as either of us prefer Sonic's more taken seriously stories a mascot character is still inherently aimed at kids and ignoring that to use a mascot audience for a different audience implies parody along the lines of Conker and Ted despite this movie not aiming to be a parody. It is a baffling collection of decisions to make especially since for SEGA to promote brand awareness they just need to make and market a good product to their intended audience to begin with.

And I never said anything about an animated kids Pixar movie even if I think that is a better fit for Sonic. I said that live action is a horrible medium for a noodle limbed cartoon character who thrives off of the freedom of animation designed around a noodle limbed character. Disconnecting the character from the medium it is built for when that requires throwing everything about the medium that the character takes advantage of to be who they are is just plain daft to me.

On the whole alien thing, sure, he's an alien in x but x never goes out of it's way to disregard the medium that plays to the strengths and needs of Sonic's design. the world and setting is still designed around Sonic, not forcing Sonic into a mold he wasn't made for. And that is really my problem, Sonic does not belong in real life because he is a cartoon character and design that needs the freedom of animation to work properly.

17 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

The IDW comics are great. I'm honestly just really discouraged from the outrage over the design. It could have been much worse. I feel like people don't understand why a animated cartoon does not work in an action blockbuster. That's like trying to make Bugs Bunny badass and cool in a Transformers movie..

Hopefully the GA feels differently 

I'm honestly sorry to see that you are feeling discouraged from the outrage but am honestly surprised that you can't understand why people who are fans of Sonic saying they want a Sonic the hedgehog movie never implied they wanted a movie that forced Sonic into a medium and setting he didn't belong in. They wanted to see the character from the games or comics or cartoons being awesome on the big screen in ways a game or comic or cartoon could not normally accomplish for whatever reasons. Instead they have been presented a story concept and setting as well as medium that completely undermines that desire. They feel betrayed and this design was to them the final straw that broe the camels back, or showed that this movie, despite being what they asked for, was like wishing on a monket's paw. It has been warped so far beyond what they wanted that despite meeting the criteria of a Sonic the Hedgehog movie, nothing about it is what they imagined when they said they wanted a Sonic the Hedgehog movie.

As for the general audience, if they care as little as you believe and will just eat up this movie because of the names attached to it then you shoul dhave nothing to fear. they already don't care and these names are awesome so further thought isn't required to eat it up. However, with that mentality don't expect them to understand your passion either, because they already don't care. It doesn't matter. It's just a good time at the movies and nothing more. Being passionate about is weird and stupid. That's the reactions you should expect and frankly I feel sorry for you on that. I may not like what has been presented but you do and deserve to have a place to share in that passion.

12 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

The thing is, we all understand that noodle limb cartoon character with Mickey Mouse gloves doesn't work in live action, that's why most of us who are bemoaning the design frequently ask why make a live action movie in the first place if you have to change everything about the brand when you are trying to use brand recognition in the first place to sell your product. It's so contradictory and we are so overly emotional about it that we can't find a point of logic to latch onto to make this work for us. Everything about the process appears broken no matter how much thought and care they put into it simply because for their vision they had to throw out what gives the franchise its brand recognition in the first place; a cute noodle limbed cartoon mascot character with a sharp and cool design who has an attitude problem and goes on adventures and frequently battles a mad scientist who want's to conquer the world. When you throw out the cute noodle limbed mascot character part you throw away that brand imagery and recognition. So it's not that we don't get it, it's just we disagree with the decision because it seems plain daft to us. Though, just because you think this is a good idea, I'd like to see how you would apply this same mentality to the most famous cartoon character in the world. Show me you take on a live action adaption of Mickey Mouse for a PG-13 action flick and tell me how you would sell that to Disney and the general audience. Just try not to be surprised when you get backlash for changing a beloved design into something that disregards everything that makes the design beloved to begin with.

6 hours ago, Tarnish said:

I'm real curious how well that actually works in real life.

Say a kid genuinely likes this movie, checks out the previous Sonic stuff only to find out it's nothing like the movie but some cartoony hedgehog with his cutesy friends in colorful cartoony environments. Will he really stick around?

One of my major concerns as well. What's the point of creating brand awareness with something that is not truthful to brand aesthetics, thematic, or imagery to sell your product. It makes no sense and just further fractures the franchise.

-----

Anyway, I think I've added enough negativity to this thread which is really uncalled for. Sure it's supposed to be a thread for discussing the movie and our opinions but should I really be taking to the point that people feel like I might be purposely trying to alter their perspectives. Of course not. At this point I think I've made my stance clear enough and constantly countering other's points of view doesn't seem like a productive way to make use of my time, or anyone else's for that matter. At this point it's obvious this movie isn't for me. I don't like the story concept. I don't like them adapting a noodle limbed cartoon character for live action. I don't like the setting. I don't like the live action redesign. Sonic is one of the few entertainment properties that frequently brings me joy and this movie is not managing that in anyway. I've given it the benefit of the doubt long enough even in spite of my cynicism but now the movie is pretty much Dragon Ball evolution to me. It's something spun out of a franchise I love that I will never watch on the principle that it is not for me.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Yeah he thinks it sucks.

WOW!
EVEN THE DUDE WHO DESIGNED THE CHARACTER HATES IT!
WHAT A BIG SHOCK!

bury the movie until it is released

2 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Go to Facebook and you'll see the reception is also much more positive than it is on here. Lol everybody here is acting like the sky is falling because Sonic doesn't have noodle arms. I should have known there would be a volcanic meltdown over the slightest change after the Boom backlash.

Maybe because just because you want to try a new take on the franchise doesn't mean you should change literally absolutely everything about it? It's disrespecting the source material, disrespecting the original creators, disrespecting the fans to please people who doesn't give a crap about the franchise, and even if they like this movie, it's very unlikely they will start giving a crap about the franchise outside of this movie.

• Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Yeah he thinks it sucks.

I mean, you could've at least provided a google translation in your post. Not everyone reads Japanese here

"Since Sonic is a fairy like a hedgehog, there is no need to bring it to a hedgehog even if it becomes a live-action picture.
Mickey will not become a mouse even if it becomes a live-action picture.
Because they are fairies that everyone can believe and can live on."

Again, it's google translate, so it's shoddy at best, but from what I understood, he only said that Sonic shouldn't go to the level of "actually real hedgehog" for a live-action movie.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

image0.jpg?width=902&height=508

Saw this recently. Hope it's fake.

is this fan made or was it leaked?
because if it is leaked.... hoo boy

Just now, Bobnik said:

I mean, you could've at least provided a google translation in your post. Not everyone reads Japanese here

Twitter has a 'translate tweet' button which automatically concerts it into whatever language you do speek.

2 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

"Since Sonic is a fairy like a hedgehog, there is no need to bring it to a hedgehog even if it becomes a live-action picture.

Again, it's google translate, so it's shoddy at best, but from what I understood, he only said that Sonic shouldn't go to the level of "actually real hedgehog" for a live-action movie.

If that’s what he said... well, from what we can see so far, he hasn’t gone to the level of ‘actually real hedgehog’.

3 minutes ago, MarioAmigosYT said:

is this fan made or was it leaked?
because if it is leaked.... hoo boy

It's not like it can be too different now that we know his proportions and what not..

At this point it's: "Do you want a cherry topping on your diarrhea sundae or not?"

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

"fairy like hedgehog"?

Bring on the memes!

(sonic in fairy wings does sound like a rather cute meme though and a huge step up from Ugandan Knuckles)

17 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

I think the basic gist is that he feels that there was no need to make him realistic because people can already suspend their disbelief for his design? Guessing "fairy" means something closer to "cartoon" or something. Or "imaginary", "make-believe".

Or he's just saying that he shouldn't literally be a real-life hedgehog. Which.. is a pretty far line.

• Thumbs Up 3