Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Gangsters Paradise is on Page 380)

2 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

One of my major concerns as well. What's the point of creating brand awareness with something that is not truthful to brand aesthetics, thematic, or imagery to sell your product. It makes no sense and just further fractures the franchise.

I' wouldn't be surprised if it came down to lack of understanding from these bigwig corporate people: they think because something worked well for a franchise, they can apply it to anything and get the same results. So just because they could make a mutated live-action TMNT movie that made money, they probably think that treatment will work just as well for Sonic.

Like in video games. I haven't played them myself, but I hear Dead Space is a perfect example. It was a cool little niche survival horror franchise, but EA was hell-bent on making it a mainstream franchise with Dead Space 3. When that obviously failed bacause surprise, surprise, you can't just make something a mainstream success by a flip of a switch, they pretty much killed off the franchise.

For most huge corporations, niche success is not good enough, it's either mainstream of bust.

25 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

If you didn't know what Sonic looked like in the games, would you honestly hate this design as much as you all do?

I canonly speak for myself but yes. Yes I would. Because it's an oddly muscular body with a giant head. It looks extremely wrong.

Well to be fair, to say the SEGA people outright said the word "awful" in those specific words is a bit much.

It's not like we've foaming at the mouth since this was revealed, I'm calm! I'm having fun looking at what people are saying. ..being relaxed isn't going to change my feelings though. And unless this is an early April Fool's after all, I don't see how the design in full could look much better than what I'm imagining from the silhouette.

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

Lol oh wow!

So I asked the writer of the Sonic Movie on Twitter if his "everyone should relax" tweet is also aimed at the creators of Sonic.

When he said "Yes it is", I pointed out that was kinda disrespectful...

His reaction...

So whatever you do. Don't try to start a dialogue about how labelling people with genuine concerns as being hysterical is a bit offensive or else he'll take the ball away.

Mission accomplished? What mission was that?

1 minute ago, Bucket said:

So should no one calm down? Should this just continue on as it is or even magnify?

I mean, it's just one image. Eventually people will run out of things to say. Until the full thing is revealed, and then the teasers and trailers come out. And then, eventually, some time after the movie has been released, there will be calm.

3 minutes ago, Bucket said:

I'm guessing that's in reference to the idea that he was trying to find out if the creators were upset with the new design? If so, then that did get the job done haha

Edit: On another note, it shows that the lead writer is not open to criticism.

2 minutes ago, Razule said:

I mean, it's just one image. Eventually people will run out of things to say. Until the full thing is revealed, and then the teasers and trailers come out. And then, eventually, some time after the movie has been released, there will be calm.

Oh I'm sure that it'll die down eventually, no doubt about that.

It just sucks that it has to be THIS way until then. X_X

Probably proving that the guy doesn't actually care what anybody thinks including the creators/owners of Sonic and just wants everybody to shut up so the movie team can continue the delusion that every choice the movie has made is great.

2 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Probably proving that the guy doesn't actually care what anybody thinks including the creators/owners of Sonic and just wants everybody to shut up so the movie team can continue the delusion that every choice the movie has made is great.

Like Paul Feig with Ghostbusters, or Rian Johnson with The Last Jedi :D

Oh I'm sure that it'll die down eventually, no doubt about that.

It just sucks that it has to be THIS way until then. X_X

It may shock you to learn that constantly whining about people criticising a extremely questionable design is not endearing and isn’t going to convince anyone of your ‘argument.’ It didn’t with Forces either. 

Just now, Marcello said:

What way? People criticizing something?

The internet doesn't 'just criticize' things that it dislikes, though. It goes waaaaaay overboard all the time. And in my opinion, this is definitely one of those times from everything that I've seen. Obviously not EVERYONE is acting that way, but still.

1 minute ago, Tracker_TD said:

It may shock you to learn that constantly whining about people criticising a extremely questionable design is not endearing and isn’t going to convince anyone of your ‘argument.’ It didn’t with Forces either. 

...excuse me? There's no need to be rude.

4 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

That's the part you want to focus on?

Not the part about how the writer thinks that anyone with genuine concerns is just hysterica

I understood that part just fine, it was the 'mission accomplished' part that I was confused about.

4 minutes ago, Bucket said:

The internet doesn't 'just criticize' things that it dislikes, though. It goes waaaaaay overboard all the time. And in my opinion, this is definitely one of those times from everything that I've seen. Obviously not EVERYONE is acting that way, but still.

Who's going overboard?

2 minutes ago, Bucket said:

...excuse me? There's no need to be rude.

Constantly insulting people’s intelligence by branding any and all criticism “overboard” isn’t exactly glamorous etiquette either. All the points I’ve seen raised in this thread, be they the proportions, the suggested eye shape, the removal of the iconic sneakers, the bootleg-esque blue arms, etc - they’re all fair points. Nobody’s going overboard, no matter how many citation-lacking times you claim they are. 

I get it. You’re far more receptive to Sonic stuff than other people. Again, same thing with Forces. That’s fine, someone’s gonna like this stuff. Being so incredulous that other people don’t follow your particular mindset, not so much.

1 minute ago, Marcello said:

Who's going overboard?

Several people, both here and on other websites. Especially on Twitter. X_X

Do you really believe that the only thing happening now is normal, rational discussion about the design or normal, rational conveying of grievances to the higher ups? I doubt this would've blown up like it did if that was all that was happening.

Do you really believe that the only thing happening now is normal, rational discussion about the design or normal, rational conveying of grievances to the higher ups? I doubt this would've blown up like it did if that was all that was happening.

But who?

Last time I checked, Ohshima did not make a 5 paragraph long Twitter rant about how they ruined his design. He just doesn't agree with their decision to make Sonic realistic. This is nothing like the fans who ARE foaming at the mouth, threatening to boycott the movie and wanting it to be "Buried", completely disregarding all of the hardworking effort innocent crew members put into this movie, all because Sonic had developed thighs. Patrick is not talking about people like Yuji Naka or Oshima. He's talking about the fans who are acting like the Apocalypse is imminent because Sonic's design makes more anatomical sense. 

I think it's mostly being meme'd to be honest. Some people are probably 'outraged'. But, this has become so widespread at this point that I think most people are just making fun of it. This is just from a generalized perspective. People think the design looks bad and are making fun of it lol

1 minute ago, Tracker_TD said:

Constantly insulting people’s intelligence by branding any and all criticism “overboard” isn’t exactly glamorous etiquette either. All the points I’ve seen raised in this thread, be they the proportions, the suggested eye shape, the removal of the iconic sneakers, the bootleg-esque blue arms, etc - they’re all fair points. Nobody’s going overboard, no matter how many citation-lacking times you claim they are. 

I get it. You’re far more receptive to Sonic stuff than other people. Again, same thing with Forces. That’s fine, someone’s gonna like this stuff. Being so incredulous that other people don’t follow your particular mindset, not so much.

...I haven't insulted anyone's intelligence. Nor have I branded any and all criticism as 'going overboard'. I've said several times that SOME, not ALL, are doing that - the people that ARE going overboard, yes, I'm critical of that. Plenty of people aren't going overboard, but it seems like you're trying to reduce everything I say to 'everyone complaining is going overboard'... when I've specifically NOT said that. Because I don't believe that. Actually, it seems like you don't want ANYONE criticizing the reaction at all. Is that it? Would you rather just have the internet rage and rage and rage, and be free from criticism for it?

And 'nobody's going overboard'... except that some are. And those are the ones I'm complaining about. Not the people who aren't.