Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

19 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

The two of you are doing this "complaining about complaining" thing we all got sick of during Forces' pre-release and IDW's first year and frankly I'm getting tired of seeing people's reactions and criticisms (especially those that are probably presented for some comedic effect because, you know, the Internet) being blown out of proportion because they don't like it as much you do. It's not a personal attack on your fandom, so don't go doing it to others. Enough already.

But then who is going to stand up for this movie in here? it's just going to become an echo chamber of hate. Nobody wants to see things from the filmmakers point of view. Who is going to defend and be their voice in this thread?

k12cxbZ.png?1

17 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I don't want to know OR imagine what any other Sonic characters would look like in this style. The only thing left for this film is that maybe the robots might look cool.

But if they don't even care enough to make the main fuckin character look good, I doubt it.

I imagine they'll make the Badniks look less cute and goofy. I imagine even GUN style robots would look pretty different.

• Chuckle 2
  • Way Past Cool 1

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

But then who is going to stand up for this movie in here? it's just going to become an echo chamber of hate. Nobody wants to see things from the filmmakers point of view. Who is going to defend and be their voice in this thread?

Yeah. An echo chamber of hate is NOT something I hope this place becomes. I’ve seen this place get pretty toxic before. I don’t even think I want to know how much worse it can get. 

• Thumbs Up 2

58 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I canonly speak for myself but yes. Yes I would. Because it's an oddly muscular body with a giant head. It looks extremely wrong.

If it was an "original" character design in a world of similarly designed characters, this probably wouldn't be the case. 

8 minutes ago, Marcello said:

k12cxbZ.png?1

I imagine they'll make the Badniks look less cute and goofy. I imagine even GUN style robots would look pretty different.

Honestly and this may surprise some people, but I actually don't find this creepy or cringy. This looks rather ok at worst to decent at best.

• Fist Bump 1

3 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Assuming we get badniks... and I don't think we will see them.

They'll be like transformers, or like any other movie that has CGI like robots.

You know the Movie Battleship? There's the scene where the two roller robots destroy the ship and destroy a city? That's what I expect the badniks to end up being like.

Or we'll see stuff like Terminator 3's Hunter killers.

Machines based on pre existing tech, just upped a little to make it look more scary and futuristic.

But I doubt for a second you'll see animal shaped robots, and I doubt they'll even have animals powering the robots.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Yeah. An echo chamber of hate is NOT something I hope this place becomes. I’ve seen this place get pretty toxic before. I don’t even think I want to know how much worse it can get. 

What is so wrong with members merely voicing their opinions in a forum thread? 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Ruomarta said:

Honestly and this may surprise some people, but I actually don't find this creepy or cringy. This looks rather ok at worst to decent at best.

Unsurprisingly...tolerance may vary. Which is unreliable.

1 minute ago, Unidus said:

What's wrong with members merely voicing their opinions in a forum thread? 

Don't. This happens all the time.

Something which looks bad gets people saying it looks bad for X Y and Z.

Then if it continues to look bad people who like it claim the forum is Toxic.

But if the thing starts to look good, people usually change their minds. That's the part people tend to ignore.

• Thumbs Up 8

1 minute ago, Unidus said:

What's wrong with members merely voicing there opinions in a forum thread? 

It’s not so much that people express their opinion, it’s that getting out of hand. 

7 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Right. So I'm not sure why we're not allowed to defend the movie while everybody else gets to hate on it 

42 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

You can do that without throwing shade at people who don't agree with your view. You like it, that's fine, nobody's stopping you or anyone else from liking this. But don't be someone that dismisses every point of criticism with "lol fans are overreacting, corporate knows better" or whatever. It gets on people's nerves more than people just saying "I like this".

Sure, this place can sometimes be a pretty dumb echo chamber, but you're not helping it, you're only provocating people. And if you take offense that people here have different opinion, then I'd be looking for other places that agree with your point of view if I were you.

Ugh, sorry for going off-topic, I'll probably just leave this place myself for a little bit.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 5

5 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Assuming we get badniks... and I don't think we will see them.

They'll be like transformers, or like any other movie that has CGI like robots.

You know the Movie Battleship? There's the scene where the two roller robots destroy the ship and destroy a city? That's what I expect the badniks to end up being like.

Or we'll see stuff like Terminator 3's Hunter killers.

Machines based on pre existing tech, just upped a little to make it look more scary and futuristic.

But I doubt for a second you'll see animal shaped robots, and I doubt they'll even have animals powering the robots.

Actually, thinking about it, it'll probably be like a typical reboot or adaption when they show something from its sillier past. They'll show a Badnik, call it ridiculous and toss it aside.

• Fist Bump 1

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Right. So I'm not sure why we're not allowed to defend the movie while everybody else gets to hate on it 

You're not defending the movie...we know nuts all about the movie. Just the idea of Sonic's design.

Any defense or complaints about the movie come from there and that's not a lot to go on. I'm honestly not sure why this even really lasted so long.  

We know what Sonic "might" look like, big whoop.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Unidus said:

What is so wrong with members merely voicing their opinions in a forum thread? 

That can be turned the other way around though.

But what are we supposed to do about it if it just so happens that the majority opinion here is that it's bad? Just not say anything negative?

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

You are allowed to defend the movie but you are not allowed to be a shit to people who do not like what they see. Try discussing the movie's actual merits, instead of getting mad at people expressing their dislike.

• Thumbs Up 8

3 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Unsurprisingly...tolerance may vary. Which is unreliable.

Eh. That's just my take on the picture. Although I'll admit that picture probably would not have count because that is more of a cartoony look. I need to see an image of Rouge in a realistic setting.

Sonic looks way past horrendous. Everything we know about this film points to disaster, and this design just cements it. The people making this film don’t know how to design characters, that much is confirmed. Am I terribly upset? No, this is just going to come out, bomb, and be entirely forgotten. It’s the next game that this series really hinges on. If the universe had to make a choice over what to make terrible, I’m glad it’s choosing the movie. 

Inb4 someone replies with the “why not both?” girl.

• Chuckle 1

Ok gonna post some of my recent thoughts. Including the thing about the movie team shrugging off the fact SonicTeam/SEGA are kinda unhappy about the design and stuff.

In general It always disgusts me when a outsourced team literally doesn’t give a hoot what the original/true owners of a property think about the thing the team were given the right to work on. Not caring about the preexisting customers/fan-base is a bad enough sin. But when a outsource team think they know better then the very owners of the property and ignore their wishes... no matter what freedoms the team were originally given… it is unforgivable I say! That degree of ignorance, that self-centered attitude and disrespect for anybody who is not themselves or apart of their little personal click… is just shameful and it always is when it happens to whatever media in question.

A outsource team should be honored and learn to respect the property they were given a rare chance to work on… if they accepted to work on it in the first place that is. A outsource team’s first thought should never be “How far can we change/mutate this thing into something else and suit it to our own taste?” that line of thought is so insulting and infuriating to me not only as a fan of various creative works and their creators… but especially as a creator type myself!

Which is why personally I never would outsource my own creative works to a team I don’t have super trust for or full control over. Even artists I have commissioned to draw my characters just for fun... I regardless keep a fairly tight rope on what they are allowed to do and not allowed to do... even when they are doing their own personal artistic spin redesigning the characters in their own style. Plus I don’t hold back from telling them If I don’t like it and or to change it if they get something truly wrong, and I will refuse to give my blessings for them to release their work publicly what they did for me unless I am at least ok overall with the results… I only somewhat skip that process if I trust the artist in question a LOT. You couldn’t pay me a million dollars to have a movie team ruin my personal properties in the same way many of these live action version of cartoon/non-realistic high fantasy media normally do… no I’m serious… I would sooner go broke and live on the streets as a hobo before I would have a company ruin my work badly. Meh.

• Thumbs Up 2

"Don't worry. We've commissioned someone who knows Sonic and has worked with him for a long time to design his magnificent form."

Ken Penders sits back and smokes a cigar.

"At last... my revenge."

End scene.

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 6
  • My Emmerdoods 1

Eh, I’m not exactly sympathetic towards those at Sega of Japan voicing their concerns about Sonic not fitting their artistic standards. You know, given how derivative and boring their own output has been for so long now. 

This rendition of Sonic is so incredibly bad that even Sonic Team has room to criticize, but not very much. 

2 minutes ago, Ruomarta said:

Forgive me if this is unrelated to the topic, but I have to ask: Do fruit bats bite people?

Nope... well, maybe if you try to stick your finger in one's mouth, they might.

• Thumbs Up 1