Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

A little late into the game. But man, that is hideous. Some of those body proportions look realistic and human enough esp. the legs to dip way hard into the Uncanny Valley. Also, looks like a blue hairy short nudist. Not to mention a lack of gloves for some reason.

38 minutes ago, Unidus said:

Edit: Smurfs and Chipmunks further shamed this sort of thing.

I can't say much for Smurfs because I ain't seen it. Now I only really cared for the 1st Alvin and the Chipmunks. Garfield is a different story, as I liked both films. The Scooby-Doo's I used to, but Not anymore. Both Spongebob films, especially the 2nd one is the perfect example on how to do a film like this (even though main character CGI was only used for about 20-minutes).

I know Sonic's supposed to be different, but I was expecting Werehog fur different.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Gabriel said:

You know, this whole "stop overreacting, Sonic can survive anything" mindset only works in the parallel universe where every new Sonic project has standards and expectations reset to zero and past fiascos automagically no longer exist.

Can you name the last time a Sonic game sold more than one million copies worldwide? How about two million copies worldwide? What about three million?

Sonic Boom, launched in late 2014, was supposed to be a reinvention of the Sonic brand for new audiences. We're at the end of 2018, where has that venture gone now?

If the Sonic series proceeded to put out at least one monumental disaster every year for the next five years, back to back, do you really think that the franchise would still be getting any new games? Or any new projects at all?

The reality we live in has a fascinating concept of having people gradually stop supporting products they don't think is worth their time and money--from the critics that review them, to the consumers that pay for them, to even the producers that fund them. Even juggernaut franchises that are "too big to fail" eventually get caught up in some sort of backlash and start feeling the effects.

You would what would be better than being able to survive putting out trash? Not needing to survive the results of putting out trash in the first place. And you can easily accomplish that by not putting out trash.

Stop framing the series' inability to ingloriously implode after constantly churning out terrible projects as something we should be grateful for. Hundreds of other series have managed that just fine without continuing to make mistakes, let alone making an outright bad product in the first place.

I also want to add that SEGA's CEO has gone on record hoping that this movie will help bring success for the franchise. 

1014019338_ScreenShot2018-12-10at3_35_11PM.png.7520eb08c77bf6572d8d3ff137df2222.png

I don't think that it's gonna kill the series or anything like that but yeah probably not the best idea in hindsight. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Way Past Cool 1
  • Absolutely 1

Wow this movie

Everything is pointing to it being a disaster. The thing that bothers me a lot about the "Don't judge it yet" arguments is that they just never seem to have an end. I went through this with people in 2014. Saw the Sonic Boom designs. Thought it was gonna suck. I was told that there wasn't a trailer yet, so I can't judge it. The trailer came out, still thought it was gonna suck. Was told it's still early in development, so don't judge it yet. We drew closer to release, still thought it was gonna suck. It's not out yet, so, don't judge it. Came out, and it sucked just like most people guessed it would. Well, don't judge it just yet, maybe more patches are coming!

The whole point of promotional material and dropping info is to sell people on your product. And absolutely nothing they've shown or said about this movie inspires any sort of confidence.

This design, as late as I am to the party on this just...is everything wrong with this venture. I echo the sentiments of a lot of people and say, you should've just let Marza go full animated with it, but it's too late for that.

At worst, this movie will be a bomb that makes everyone groan and another black mark on the franchise, at best, it'll be an annoying CGI cringe-fest like the Yogi Bear movie or 2014 Turtles that will go down in history as "One of those weird things Sega tried one time" 

• Thumbs Up 6

17 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

I also want to add that SEGA's CEO has gone on record hoping that this movie will help bring success for the franchise. 

1014019338_ScreenShot2018-12-10at3_35_11PM.png.7520eb08c77bf6572d8d3ff137df2222.png

I don't think that it's gonna kill the series or anything like that but yeah probably not the best idea in hindsight. 

Maybe there will be a "movie-based" Sonic game... Stylistically altered... The horror...

Joking aside though, I wonder what Satomi's reaction to the new artwork show is. Even if the film were to be a success, wouldn't someone who is hyped about Sonic as he is presented in the movie be very confused when they played any Sonic game afterwards? Like, imagine if a person really liked the movie, had never heard of Sonic prior, and knew Sonic only in the physical form in which he took in the film.

Not that the Sonic games have not tried different interpretations of how Sonic can/should look, but this new rendition is starting to stretch it a bit.

Those blue electric auras... Oh, his speed is totally just a superpower, and not a natural ability, isn't it? It totally is, I'm feeling it.

Also, nothing screams Sonic here, aside from the name. Those legs and shoes are weird as hell to look at.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

7 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Dunno where this came from, but here’s... something.

God his legs are so gross.

I mean it's all gross but why would you make a poster that leaves you focused on his weird man legs.

• Thumbs Up 7

You know what, I've come to a conclusion that I can actually look past the flaws of the character design if the movie does not take itself seriously. Like, if this is just a total comedy then for me all is forgiven. Sonic looking ridiculous could even be self-referenced. Think about it XD

Edit: I think it would be even be more fun if Sonic became like a sort of Peter Parker (Homecoming) type of hero. He's just your everyday good-doing neighborhood hedgehog :)

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

?? He has human legs? Is this real?

We could already tell he did from the silhouette poster.

As far as I can tell, this is real. Would be a weirdly high-effort fake and I can’t really see someone wasting time on one that wasn’t just a paint over of the first poster, which this isn’t.

• Thumbs Up 5

7 minutes ago, Unidus said:

You know what, I've come to a conclusion that I can actually look past the flaws of the character design if the movie does not take itself seriously. Like, if this is just a total comedy then for me all is forgiven. Sonic looking ridiculous could even be self-referenced. Think about it XD

Interesting way of looking at it.

I'll wait to see the trailer to decide if I'm going to see it. I mean, the design is extremely off putting but we'll see. Before yesterday i was certain to go see it because I'm just looking for a good time and had low expectations from the start. The sonic portrayal was just embarrassing and made me and many others take pause.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Tracker_TD said:

We could already tell he did from the silhouette poster.

As far as I can tell, this is real. Would be a weirdly high-effort fake.

It's real:

Yeah, his thighs looked more developed but they were still short and small. These ones do actually look like a regular dude painted blue. Maybe they just stretch his legs out to make the poster look better 

6 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

What the hell is this?! They are changing so much it's absurd.  Like, why are they trying to make him real?

Who knows, this is Hollywood.

I just ask he still has his gloves, to give him realistic human looking paw hands would not be so nice.

If you are going to have paw hands take notes from Zootopia please.

I hated his too humanish hands in his werehog design.

If nothing else, the possibility of a tie-in game coming to fruition (assuming one is even going to be produced, which I kinda doubt honestly) is lowered significantly by how much bad press it's getting. I think people seriously underrate the idea of not getting anything over getting something shitty. Or hell, maybe we'll get the best of both worlds and they'll see how much everyone hates the design and retool the game into being a normal Sonic game instead.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hypothetically speaking, I think this might’ve been a better preview poster. Don’t get me wrong, the poster is still really hideous, but the fact it somewhat represents Sonic’s attitude a little better is at least something.

Anything else good? I mean, I think the small ring on his laces is a cool little touch, but I think the shoe design is pretty lame anyways so yeah, it still kind of sucks.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh my god, it just continues to get worse. Why is it that nobody in charge of this franchise can make a halfway intelligent decision?

*blinks* That's not Sonic.. that's a very hairy man's legs 

Doesn't hit as hard as the first one though.. can the design just be revealed so we can get this over with..?

48 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

Everything is pointing to it being a disaster. The thing that bothers me a lot about the "Don't judge it yet" arguments is that they just never seem to have an end. I went through this with people in 2014. Saw the Sonic Boom designs. Thought it was gonna suck. I was told that there wasn't a trailer yet, so I can't judge it. The trailer came out, still thought it was gonna suck. Was told it's still early in development, so don't judge it yet. We drew closer to release, still thought it was gonna suck. It's not out yet, so, don't judge it. Came out, and it sucked just like most people guessed it would. Well, don't judge it just yet, maybe more patches are coming!

When it comes out, then it's underrated and it's Sonic fans' fault for being unable to be pleased. Poooor SEGA.

14 minutes ago, Unidus said:

Anyone else getting a late 90s/ early 2000s vibe from the movie  logo? 

This whole trip is giving me a late 90s/early 2000s vibe. Because this kind of movie belongs in that time period

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

If nothing else, the possibility of a tie-in game coming to fruition (assuming one is even going to be produced, which I kinda doubt honestly) is lowered significantly by how much bad press it's getting. I think people seriously underrate the idea of not getting anything over getting something shitty. Or hell, maybe we'll get the best of both worlds and they'll see how much everyone hates the design and retool the game into being a normal Sonic game instead.

Not saying a tie in game is happening....but if it were, it would already be well under production by now. Fans complaining wouldnt stop it.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Johnny Boy said:

Oh my god, it just continues to get worse. Why is it that nobody in charge of this franchise can make a halfway intelligent decision?

I think SOJ since the 90s has not cared about sonic except for how much milk they can immediately extract from their biggest cash cow. They take little action to protect the brand except for when they're forced to in absolutely disastrous situations that clearly destroy earning potential. They'll release any sort of game if they think it will net them a decent profit, regardless of the long term consequences. That is precisely why Sonic's fathers in oshima, yasuhara, and naka all left the franchise over time. We all love sonic but he's been something of a zombie at SOJ for some time now.

Common sense decisions wont be made for the franchise until there is a consistent level of care for the brand coming from the top. (Meaning above Iizuka in the foodchain)

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Maybe he gets the classic buckle shoe later on. 

Welcome to our realm of false hopes, please clean your shoes on the doormat.

I've entered a stage of acceptance, that this movie just won't be a Sonic movie, just a zombie wearing the skin of it's name. So now I'm just staring in awe of how much worse they can make it. And honestly, I ironically look forward to the trailer for that reason. I want to see just how bad it gets, because it's already irredeemable.

• Thumbs Up 2