Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

29 minutes ago, Tornado said:

1. The fandom's response to this movie outside of these is already not necessarily in lockstep with the people outside of the fandom. Even only broadening it to casual fans like those on dedicated videogame forums (and not the general moviegoing populace who may just go to "I recognize Sonic" rather than even a casual fan of the games themselves), I've already seen that on places like ResetEra that the response is frequently "wow those Sonic fans sure are being fucking overdramatic assholes about this. Again" rather than "I now have no intention of seeing this movie just like those Sonic fans."

That basically proves anything Sonic-related can be divisive.

Since when is Sonic is going to "change" when he comes to the human world like Fat Albert or Spongebob? He's from another planet, not another plane of existence where cartoons rule the world. 

@Tornado   is right. The reception outside the fandom is wayyyy less negative and that's to be expected. Most people didn't hate the Bayturtles outside of the fandom and this design is nowhere near of a change as radical from this

tmnt2sticker_1024x1024.thumb.png.dd24835291d7f9dd58ec1be09dd5de23.png

To this

PicsArt_12-12-01_12_49.jpg.788ca3c6a8f7d428bda7df4b5f1b4c06.jpg

It just simply isn't on this level of grotesque

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2018 at 11:05 AM, Scar said:

I've always said, they should stop with all this and come up with a unified vision for what they want the franchise to be (at least the Modern Sonic component), 

I remember getting the feeling that that's what they were trying to do with Lost World, among other things.

On 12/10/2018 at 11:14 AM, Roger_van_der_weide said:

I love the claw paws and the dark ambiant lighting.
Hah, here I was scared this would be a cringey comedy movie but instead they seem to be going for a horror movie.
Neato. Will this be a spirtual succesor to Gremlins? Shit, I fed the Hedgehog chillidogs after midnight and it turned into this!
Hide the kitchen knives!

Ch'yeah. :lol: 

On 12/10/2018 at 11:25 AM, Stephen Rodriguez said:

I mean, come on. I'm not very fond of the design either, but just because Sonic's design is bad doesn't necessarily mean that the whole movie will be bad. Plus, if some games like Edgy The Hedgy, 06, and Boom didn't kill Sonic, then I strongly doubt this movie will. Then again, I've been more excited for Detective Pikachu and would be surprised if the Sonic movie was reviewed well in all other aspects. 

True.

But at the same time, a good product overall has not been devoid of a minimal viewing throughout the history of cinema.

On 12/10/2018 at 11:31 AM, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

I sort of dont even care. You cannot do THIS to your biggest brand. This is not the result of careful thought. This will not catch on in positive sense. They had to know people would react like this. Companies pay smart people to figure that out for them.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I think this would at least be intriguing if it was another SEGA franchise, like Monkey Ball or even better NiGHTS.

On 12/10/2018 at 11:34 AM, PeterPancake said:

Because I've always wanted Sonic to get the MCU treatment and be seen in the same light as Marvel heroes.

The idea of this movie spawning a franchise and turning Sonic into a huge brand Is what we ALL should want.

Gonna be honest, dude, I initially misread this as sarcasm because of the way this thread has been going for the longest.

On 12/10/2018 at 11:34 AM, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I always see you pick on Sonic fans about not liking the same art style as you. And If you truly believe fans opinions don't matter... then why are you EVEN ON A SONIC FAN FORUM?

...To talk with other Sonic fans...?

Dude, I would KILL for a live action NiGHTS movie. Now that could be amazing, it would be Avatar and the Chronicles of Narnia mushed into one. 

7 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

...To talk with other Sonic fans...?

Umm why are you bringing up something I said the other day for no reason? I said that reply because multiple times in the past the guy had said the opinions of fans didn't matter to him and made fun of fans who disagreed with him on the design. That conversation is over now.

6 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Dude, I would KILL for a live action NiGHTS movie. Now that could be amazing, it would be Avatar and the Chronicles of Narnia mushed into one. 

Please leave my child out of this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Wraith said:

Please leave my child out of this.

Hey man, I'm still waiting for that third game. I used to play Journey of Dreams almost every day after school w my brother. 

19 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

The reception outside the fandom is wayyyy less negative and that's to be expected. Most people didn't hate the Bayturtles outside of the fandom and this design is nowhere near of a change as radical from this

There is a major difference in that even the "this" example you are using was the fifth or so completely different stylistic deviation in fifteen years of TMNT, whereas Sonic had... 2 with blatant aesthetic differences? A lot more "officially" I suppose, but no casual viewer would treat the loose rolling collection of SoA Sonic material and Genesis Sonic as being different from each other, and the only thing people even in the fanbase could get in an uproar over for the changes Boom made to the character designs was Knuckles.

• Thumbs Up 6

On 12/10/2018 at 11:38 AM, caitash said:

...Welp, I’m going back to play Rise of Lyric and appreciate the Boom character redesigns.

(Also oh god I can’t imagine any of the other characters translating to this style without coming off even worse.)

With Special Guest Star Nibbles the Predator. 

On 12/10/2018 at 11:41 AM, LongcrierCat said:

... Wow, so much negativity in here. 

You'd think we'd be used to cartoony comic book animals being turned into live action friends. 

u-g-Q12XXCD0.jpg?w=550&h=550&p=0

guardiansofthegalaxy2-rocket-ship-worrie

I called it???

.To be fair, that's a raccoon. One that was presumably designed in a relatively conventional style to begin with.

0_Mowgli-Legend-of-the-Jungle.jpg

OMG, what the hell is this?!

Also, mind if I just say?

I called it???

I gotta say, the masked one at the top actually looks kinda good for what it is. Nice drawing there.

On 12/10/2018 at 11:46 AM, Tarnish said:

Apparently "current Hollywood standards" are super low.

Alright Jasper.

On 12/10/2018 at 11:51 AM, ShadowSJG said:

It looks like Alvin and the Chipmunks. Urgh. I knew this movie would be a wreck.

Hey, at least Alvin  looked like an actual chipmunk.

On 12/10/2018 at 12:12 PM, Dr Ryan said:

Here's a thought guys... Is the silhouetted teaser to soften the blow of the full reveal? When we all see those weird fucking black dot eyes set to white fur (I'm assuming).

Hm...it's possible.

I mean, with how fast this thing is spreading, people will likely overreact and "hype" themselves up for a complete monstroucity, only for it to not be that bad or even be tightened up from that design.

On 12/10/2018 at 12:12 PM, Dr Ryan said:

Surely the production team must have seen the Pikachu trailer and how they handled the characters, as well as the hugely positive response it got, and thought "WOW. We fucked up here."

They probably did, but it was likely deemed too late in regards to the deadline for the poster itself.

On 12/10/2018 at 12:18 PM, PeterPancake said:

Some details from Tim:

"The first thing you need to do is put limits on it. If you can do anything, nothing is special. For me, it’s always about keeping it grounded and keeping it realistic,” said Miller. “We had some time to figure out the speed: What it looks like, what it feels like for a character to do that and how it relates to our world. It took a little trial and error, but that’s animation in figuring out what the effect looks like and what it does to the rest of the world around it. The speed changes over time because he evolves, because he can’t do everything at the beginning of the movie. It’s finding the visual language and figuring out how it’s going to evolve over time.”

So Sonic is basically like Flash. He has to learn how to go faster in the movie. Also:

Well, yeah. They more or less said this was something of a pseudo-origin story before and with those lightning effects for the animated poster...

On 12/10/2018 at 12:18 PM, PeterPancake said:

"With Sonic being thrown into the real world and out of his own, it's unclear what presence fan-favorites like Tails and Knuckles will have in the new film. Miller confirmed that part of this new story will not take place on Earth, while Moritz said, "I think the audience can expect to find some Easter eggs. We don't want to reveal any of that stuff, but I think there will be some very exciting things that fans of Sonic will get to see in this movie."

Wait...what...?

Then why is it live action?

On 12/10/2018 at 12:21 PM, GentlemanX said:

Fourth, and by far the biggest problem, the muscles. Even more than the fur, this utterly destroys his sleek and cartoony image in favor of realism. Maybe no muscles would be unrealistic for an athlete, but it would be a lot more visually attractive. Giving him visible muscle and bone structure to his arms and legs makes him more person than creature, making it unrecognizable as Sonic.

...I mean, chimps and pit bulls are thing.

On 12/10/2018 at 12:32 PM, PeterPancake said:

There's no way they'd make him have beady Hedgehog eyes. There's no way Lizuka would sign off on something THAT radical. As it stands, his design is still very recognizable and that's the most important thing. Miller said that the eyes were a very delicate design decision that had input from Sega. He implied that what they did was split them in two and that's it. It more than likely looks like this

4n3tuqkdi1511.thumb.jpg.d2934e5183370f679305f6639d937f8c.jpg

The design overall looks very close to this in silhouette. 

Furfinity ahoy, then.

3 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

The dude on Reddit who saw the teaser said Sonic look like this

oqeMtoI_d.thumb.jpg.7bc732ac1440ba0541a01571c094d37d.jpg

So can we finally put the bug eyes to rest?

Well since the bug eye is under his eye no. Because this looks awful. 

14 hours ago, Flame Lance said:

That disgusting blue freak is not Sonic. I knew this was going to be horrible the nanosecond the movie was announced. Hollywood doesn't give a flying leap about honoring source material or pumping out anything of quality, especially if it involves IPs aimed at younger audiences.

This is actually a problem for the whole western animation industry. Not only for the life action reboots. Animation in general is not really respected here in the west by many. Animation is not a medium for telling stories, it is just an genre, meaning it is just dump kids stuff. No wonder they have nor respect for Sonic, the have no respect for animation in general.

1 hour ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Plus I think the electricity is a nice touch, since it's likely static electricity can be built up at those speeds.

I guess.

It's just that it's kinda like a salt to the wound, given  a character from the movie that was in theaters a few years ago.

47 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Since when is Sonic is going to "change" when he comes to the human world like Fat Albert or Spongebob? He's from another planet, not another plane of existence where cartoons rule the world. 

Do aliens often change shape upon entering Earth's atmosphere?

47 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

@Tornado   is right. The reception outside the fandom is wayyyy less negative and that's to be expected. Most people didn't hate the Bayturtles outside of the fandom and this design is nowhere near of a change as radical from this

tmnt2sticker_1024x1024.thumb.png.dd24835291d7f9dd58ec1be09dd5de23.png

To this

PicsArt_12-12-01_12_49.jpg.788ca3c6a8f7d428bda7df4b5f1b4c06.jpg

It just simply isn't on this level of grotesque

Thanks for putting those back to back.

Was a nice chuckle.

42 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Complete with British accents!

But yeah, kinda puts it in perspective.

39 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Umm why are you bringing up something I said the other day for no reason? I said that reply because multiple times in the past the guy had said the opinions of fans didn't matter to him and made fun of fans who disagreed with him on the design. That conversation is over now.

I'm playing catchup. :blushing:

But to the point, it was meant to a literal joke response.

34 minutes ago, Tornado said:

There is a major difference in that even the "this" example you are using was the fifth or so completely different stylistic deviation in fifteen years of TMNT, whereas Sonic had... 2 with blatant aesthetic differences? A lot more "officially" I suppose, but no casual viewer would treat the loose rolling collection of SoA Sonic material and Genesis Sonic as being different from each other, and the only thing people even in the fanbase could get in an uproar over for the changes Boom made to the character designs was Knuckles.

Well, Sonic has had 3. If you count Classic and Modern as seperate entities. Technically 4, if you seperate the Adventure era from the Modern era like many do. Classic, Dreamcast, Modern and Boom. 

Funnily enough, I didn't know which version of TMNT to choose to represent the classic design, so I just went w the Nicktoon version as it's closest to Bayturtles release.

Also 

Some people are coming around to the design now. Maybe it would have been better if they just revealed the face to ease the backlash.

15 minutes ago, chaosjam said:

Speaking of Sonic movies...

...I mean, he's not off topic....

Also, what's up with the Hedgehog couple under Eggman?

10 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I'm assuming those are Sonic's parents; maybe undoing Jule's roboticization  would've been part of the plot for Pender's film. I have no idea why Sonic's mom is colored differently, though. 

15 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I think that's Jules and Bernadette.

4 hours ago, Marcello said:

Dude needs to listen to his own advice lol

I said it once and I'll say it again- you really, really, REALLY should not pay this man any attention when it comes to this particular subject. This film could look amazing and turn out to be one of the best films ever made and break records , and he'd still devote time and energy to dumping on it. He couldn't care less how good or how awful this all turns out, because at the end of the day the only thing that REALLY matters to him? Is that this film is being made, and his isn't. 

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Actually, he kinda is. See, Kenny boy up there ain't talking about the games. He doesn't *process* that the Sonic series is first and foremost a game franchise- the only part of it that matters to him and the only part of it that he thinks is what really draws the people in is the comics, more specifically the comics HE worked on during the time he worked on them. You know, the ones that were based on a cartoon adaptation made in the early days of the franchise before SEGA decided they WANTED a unified approach to their property? This guy honestly thinks Sonic only has 'two dozen' or so games, and has prided himself on never playing any of them even as he tries to tout himself as being the guy who 'cares more' about Sonic than anybody on the Earth. 

Once upon a time, Penders himself said that Sonic would need to 'grow beyond his game and cartoon roots', and this film is pretty much a precise look at his inane philosophy in action. His own ambitions for a Sonic film would have been explicitly based off of Archie when he was working on it, would have opened with a pair of kids playing a video game and then narrating how 'their dad had the REAL story of Sonic', and oh, at least ONE plot point would have been the entire planet blowing up! 

tumblr_lyktrobz2X1rnsvazo1_1280.jpg

Yeah! Cause that's the Sonic movie everyone would want, right?! 

So yeah, in short? This guy doesn't have a valid point to make, because anything he says, EVERYTHING he says regarding this film or Sonic in general? Its all towards the same self-serving end and in the name of stroking his own deluded ego.

As for the Hedgehog Couple, that would be Jules and Bernadette, Sonic's parents. Whom Penders introduced. And then promptly did nothing with. Which turned out to be a blessing, because when he DID focus on the parents of other characters (Locke, King Acorn), he made them into douchenozzles!

• Thumbs Up 7

13 minutes ago, Gamefreak3525 said:

I'm assuming those are Sonic's parents; maybe undoing Jule's roboticization  would've been part of the plot for Pender's film. I have no idea why Sonic's mom is colored differently, though. 

13 minutes ago, Razule said:

I think that's Jules and Bernadette.

Huh. Guess that one panel from 175 wasn't just a coloring error.

27 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Well, Sonic has had 3. If you count Classic and Modern as seperate entities. Technically 4, if you seperate the Adventure era from the Modern era like many do. Classic, Dreamcast, Modern and Boom.

I believe there's Lego Sonic too. So that'd be 5, but that might not count because that's just Modern in Lego form.

I was kinda waitin on it.

10 minutes ago, horridus said:

Actually, he kinda is. See, Kenny boy up there ain't talking about the games. He doesn't *process* that the Sonic series is first and foremost a game franchise-

I mean, in the context of overall iconography and brand recognition.

Plus, I thought it'd be preferred to saying "he's not wrong".

13 minutes ago, horridus said:

and oh, at least ONE plot point would have been the entire planet blowing up! 

tumblr_lyktrobz2X1rnsvazo1_1280.jpg

Yeah! Cause that's the Sonic movie everyone would want, right?! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PStx12chyB4

Um...

13 minutes ago, horridus said:

As for the Hedgehog Couple, that would be Jules and Bernadette, Sonic's parents. Whom Penders introduced. 

And named after his wife.

30 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I mean, in the context of overall iconography and brand recognition.

Plus, I thought it'd be preferred to saying "he's not wrong".

Yeah, you DID see the pictures wherein he either changes iconic aspects of the characters (including Sonic's shoes), utilizes outdated designs, or seeks to include characters who were never a part of the wider franchise, right? Hell, he even talked about how this film would make Sonic and Sally the 'power couple' of the franchise (despite him VIGOROUSLY trying to off her permanently). He's not really in any position to talk about such things, especially since he was utterly convinced his film would go on to be the basis for the entire franchise despite it ultimately being a time capsule of a niche portion of the franchise, one done in dedication to himself.

I mean really, was THIS meant to enhance 'brand recognition'?

I repeat- Penders commentary on this issue doesn't really hold a lot of water given that his motives are self-serving at best, particularly when there's only one portion of the brand he gives a crap about. 

• Way Past Cool 4