Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Gangsters Paradise is on Page 380)

3 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

The dude on Reddit who saw the teaser said Sonic look like this

oqeMtoI_d.thumb.jpg.7bc732ac1440ba0541a01571c094d37d.jpg

So can we finally put the bug eyes to rest?

Well since the bug eye is under his eye no. Because this looks awful. 

14 hours ago, Flame Lance said:

That disgusting blue freak is not Sonic. I knew this was going to be horrible the nanosecond the movie was announced. Hollywood doesn't give a flying leap about honoring source material or pumping out anything of quality, especially if it involves IPs aimed at younger audiences.

This is actually a problem for the whole western animation industry. Not only for the life action reboots. Animation in general is not really respected here in the west by many. Animation is not a medium for telling stories, it is just an genre, meaning it is just dump kids stuff. No wonder they have nor respect for Sonic, the have no respect for animation in general.

1 hour ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Plus I think the electricity is a nice touch, since it's likely static electricity can be built up at those speeds.

I guess.

It's just that it's kinda like a salt to the wound, given  a character from the movie that was in theaters a few years ago.

47 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Since when is Sonic is going to "change" when he comes to the human world like Fat Albert or Spongebob? He's from another planet, not another plane of existence where cartoons rule the world. 

Do aliens often change shape upon entering Earth's atmosphere?

47 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

@Tornado   is right. The reception outside the fandom is wayyyy less negative and that's to be expected. Most people didn't hate the Bayturtles outside of the fandom and this design is nowhere near of a change as radical from this

tmnt2sticker_1024x1024.thumb.png.dd24835291d7f9dd58ec1be09dd5de23.png

To this

PicsArt_12-12-01_12_49.jpg.788ca3c6a8f7d428bda7df4b5f1b4c06.jpg

It just simply isn't on this level of grotesque

Thanks for putting those back to back.

Was a nice chuckle.

42 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Dude, I would KILL for a live action NiGHTS movie. Now that could be amazing, it would be Avatar and the Chronicles of Narnia mushed into one. 

Complete with British accents!

But yeah, kinda puts it in perspective.

39 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Umm why are you bringing up something I said the other day for no reason? I said that reply because multiple times in the past the guy had said the opinions of fans didn't matter to him and made fun of fans who disagreed with him on the design. That conversation is over now.

I'm playing catchup. :blushing:

But to the point, it was meant to a literal joke response.

34 minutes ago, Tornado said:

There is a major difference in that even the "this" example you are using was the fifth or so completely different stylistic deviation in fifteen years of TMNT, whereas Sonic had... 2 with blatant aesthetic differences? A lot more "officially" I suppose, but no casual viewer would treat the loose rolling collection of SoA Sonic material and Genesis Sonic as being different from each other, and the only thing people even in the fanbase could get in an uproar over for the changes Boom made to the character designs was Knuckles.

Well, Sonic has had 3. If you count Classic and Modern as seperate entities. Technically 4, if you seperate the Adventure era from the Modern era like many do. Classic, Dreamcast, Modern and Boom. 

Funnily enough, I didn't know which version of TMNT to choose to represent the classic design, so I just went w the Nicktoon version as it's closest to Bayturtles release.

Also 

Some people are coming around to the design now. Maybe it would have been better if they just revealed the face to ease the backlash.

10 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Also, what's up with the Hedgehog couple under Eggman?

I'm assuming those are Sonic's parents; maybe undoing Jule's roboticization  would've been part of the plot for Pender's film. I have no idea why Sonic's mom is colored differently, though. 

4 hours ago, Marcello said:

Dude needs to listen to his own advice lol

I said it once and I'll say it again- you really, really, REALLY should not pay this man any attention when it comes to this particular subject. This film could look amazing and turn out to be one of the best films ever made and break records , and he'd still devote time and energy to dumping on it. He couldn't care less how good or how awful this all turns out, because at the end of the day the only thing that REALLY matters to him? Is that this film is being made, and his isn't. 

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

...I mean, he's not off topic....

Also, what's up with the Hedgehog couple under Eggman?

Actually, he kinda is. See, Kenny boy up there ain't talking about the games. He doesn't *process* that the Sonic series is first and foremost a game franchise- the only part of it that matters to him and the only part of it that he thinks is what really draws the people in is the comics, more specifically the comics HE worked on during the time he worked on them. You know, the ones that were based on a cartoon adaptation made in the early days of the franchise before SEGA decided they WANTED a unified approach to their property? This guy honestly thinks Sonic only has 'two dozen' or so games, and has prided himself on never playing any of them even as he tries to tout himself as being the guy who 'cares more' about Sonic than anybody on the Earth. 

Once upon a time, Penders himself said that Sonic would need to 'grow beyond his game and cartoon roots', and this film is pretty much a precise look at his inane philosophy in action. His own ambitions for a Sonic film would have been explicitly based off of Archie when he was working on it, would have opened with a pair of kids playing a video game and then narrating how 'their dad had the REAL story of Sonic', and oh, at least ONE plot point would have been the entire planet blowing up! 

tumblr_lyktrobz2X1rnsvazo1_1280.jpg

Yeah! Cause that's the Sonic movie everyone would want, right?! 

So yeah, in short? This guy doesn't have a valid point to make, because anything he says, EVERYTHING he says regarding this film or Sonic in general? Its all towards the same self-serving end and in the name of stroking his own deluded ego.

As for the Hedgehog Couple, that would be Jules and Bernadette, Sonic's parents. Whom Penders introduced. And then promptly did nothing with. Which turned out to be a blessing, because when he DID focus on the parents of other characters (Locke, King Acorn), he made them into douchenozzles!

13 minutes ago, Gamefreak3525 said:

I'm assuming those are Sonic's parents; maybe undoing Jule's roboticization  would've been part of the plot for Pender's film. I have no idea why Sonic's mom is colored differently, though. 

13 minutes ago, Razule said:

I think that's Jules and Bernadette.

Huh. Guess that one panel from 175 wasn't just a coloring error.

27 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Well, Sonic has had 3. If you count Classic and Modern as seperate entities. Technically 4, if you seperate the Adventure era from the Modern era like many do. Classic, Dreamcast, Modern and Boom.

I believe there's Lego Sonic too. So that'd be 5, but that might not count because that's just Modern in Lego form.

I was kinda waitin on it.

10 minutes ago, horridus said:

Actually, he kinda is. See, Kenny boy up there ain't talking about the games. He doesn't *process* that the Sonic series is first and foremost a game franchise-

I mean, in the context of overall iconography and brand recognition.

Plus, I thought it'd be preferred to saying "he's not wrong".

13 minutes ago, horridus said:

and oh, at least ONE plot point would have been the entire planet blowing up! 

tumblr_lyktrobz2X1rnsvazo1_1280.jpg

Yeah! Cause that's the Sonic movie everyone would want, right?! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PStx12chyB4

Um...

13 minutes ago, horridus said:

As for the Hedgehog Couple, that would be Jules and Bernadette, Sonic's parents. Whom Penders introduced. 

And named after his wife.

30 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I mean, in the context of overall iconography and brand recognition.

Plus, I thought it'd be preferred to saying "he's not wrong".

Yeah, you DID see the pictures wherein he either changes iconic aspects of the characters (including Sonic's shoes), utilizes outdated designs, or seeks to include characters who were never a part of the wider franchise, right? Hell, he even talked about how this film would make Sonic and Sally the 'power couple' of the franchise (despite him VIGOROUSLY trying to off her permanently). He's not really in any position to talk about such things, especially since he was utterly convinced his film would go on to be the basis for the entire franchise despite it ultimately being a time capsule of a niche portion of the franchise, one done in dedication to himself.

I mean really, was THIS meant to enhance 'brand recognition'?

I repeat- Penders commentary on this issue doesn't really hold a lot of water given that his motives are self-serving at best, particularly when there's only one portion of the brand he gives a crap about. 

On a completely different note, I think that Jim Carey is going to be to this movie what Willem Dafoe is to the recent Death Note film.

... Not that I have any evidence to suggest such, but I've got a gut feeling about it. Whether or not that is a good thing is abstract I suppose.

6 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

If the movie gets a PG-13 rating, I fully expect Sonic to have a much more crude sense of humor, it will be awesome! Maybe we can get him to say another curse word. Check out Holan the Insatiable 

Because THAT would make the movie better!!

28 minutes ago, Unidus said:

On a completely different note, I think that Jim Carey is going to be to this movie what Willem Dafoe is to the recent Death Note film.

... Not that I have any evidence to suggest such, but I've got a gut feeling about it. Whether or not that is a good thing is abstract I suppose.

This movie wouldn't be complete without Jim Carrey using a fake mustache and a fat suit. I demand an entirelly shit movie.

Moving away from the Sonic design for a moment, has anyone involved in production described Jim Carrey's appearance yet? Crew, extras, anyone? It's amazing that it's been kept this quiet.

After seeing Sonic's design, who even knows what to expect from Eggman. Maybe he'll be a silver CGI robot with tits, wearing a green top hat and smoking a pipe, because why the hell not. Realism. Tim Miller knows best!

1 hour ago, Jango said:

And I thought it was actually 3 f*cks allowed. Well duck this design, tuck this movie and luck SEGA.

Yes, please luck SEGA. They need another good break.

26 minutes ago, Dr Ryan said:

After seeing Sonic's design, who even knows what to expect from Eggman. Maybe he'll be a silver CGI robot with tits, wearing a green top hat and smoking a pipe, because why the hell not. Realism. Tim Miller knows best!

...Why?