Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

19 minutes ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

And Secondly a Sonic Animated film's tone could be like this trailers tone for How To Train Your Dragon (3) The Hidden World.

Could it be? Sonic was many things over the past years? Slapstick (AoStH), Drama (Satam), Musical... I guess... (Underground), Adventure, Action (Sonic X) and Slice of Life, Comedy (Boom). And also some of the games like the Storybook and the SA series have genres like fantasy and science fantasy in them.  

Would a tone of HttyD3 really fit for a Sonic movie? I'm not sure... It is really hard (at least for me) to point exactly what type of gerne Sonic wants to be. Sega tried really everything with Sonic to the point where no one really can say, what he wants to be. I mean, they created at the same time two cartoons, which each of them was completely different in tone and story structure.

This kinda shows me, that Sega not even than had a real clue, what type of character Sonic is and how his universe should be. 

• Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

. And the movie going after the PG-13 nostalgic crowd like Bayturtles would make it an even harder sell. The character has to change. 

The line between reinvention and misunderstanding is razor thin, and it's an unenviable position to be in having to design a movie like this. In the case of the Ninja Turtles, that series started with a harder edge, so a grimy gritty gross reboot made a bit more sense aesthetically, even if it was routinely mocked after the fact. It also benefited from the fact that three of the preceding four movies blended live action with these outlandish characters, establishing some sort of precedent that it might work.

From what little we've seen, I don't get the vibe that this is even a genuine attempt to reinvent Sonic and try something fresh. It seems more like they're intentionally trying to ape the look and feel of other live action/animation hybrids, which ends up making the whole thing more hacky than original. I can sit here and play armchair filmmaker and make a wild accusation that doing something that leans into the ridiculousness of a live action Sonic would work better, but there's no telling if it would, and I'll cop to that. But I also think it's unreasonable to think that they couldn't have appealed to nostalgia and made a movie more acceptable to the mainstream by just going the fully animated route.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

18 minutes ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Okay I've seen multiple times that nobody would take an animated Sonic Movie seriously, when animated films are meant for a certain age range. Okay first off animated films have audiences depending on what it is. If it's based on a book, game, TV show, etc. When going by that, you have different audiences. Some older, some younger. Some new to a franchise, some who have stuck around since the beginning.

And Secondly a Sonic Animated film's tone could be like this trailers tone for How To Train Your Dragon (3) The Hidden World.

A Sonic Movie like that could've easily been pulled off, just for Marza and Blur Studios CG Animation alone. Combine that with the films story and there we go. So whether it's live-action/ CGI hybrid or full CGI a Sonic film would be able rival the biggest competition. Well that'd depend on design for the CG/Live-action approach.

Now back onto the current film's topic. This was posted to Twitter and this user thinks what they did with the Sonic Movie motion poster could've been to gain attention.

But I don't think that's the case though.

....Is-is that guy serious? I can't believe people are now at the point where they think the Studio fabricated two posters with the same design to trick people. Is this just denial or does he seriously believe what he's saying? I can't...

• Thumbs Up 5

You'd have to be pretty cynical to think a studio had so little faith in their product that they intentionally made something that looked bad to drum up controversy and raise interest in their film.

It also makes absolutely zero sense if you logic your way through it for like, half a minute.

Edit: Like that's assuming they would pull back the curtain and go "no actually this looks fine!" and people would be so relieved that they would be into it, but then that's still an admission that they had no faith in their movie that they couldn't sell it otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Reading through the thread, the guy just seems to be in denial. And tbh I kinda feel bad for the guy. He was a pretty big supporter of the movie before the reveal and he's legitimately sad about the design.

• Thumbs Up 2

People come up with that exact same "self-sabotage" conspiracy regarding anything Sonic-related that they happen to dislike, so it's nothing new really.

• Thumbs Up 8

The whole animated thing not serious is stupid. Animation is for all ages and so is Sonic. It fits him right. Who the hell asked for a grounded and realistic approach?

• Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

The whole animated thing not serious is stupid. Animation is for all ages and so is Sonic. It fits him right. Who the hell asked for a grounded and realistic approach?

The same kind of people who made this-

Image result for Yogi Bear movie

And this-

Related image

Aand this-

Image result for chipmunks the squeakquel

Its a very soulless, corporate mindset. The kind that cannot truly understand what makes something appealing on its own terms, being capable only of seeing things through the most narrow and fogged up lens possible. Its a mindset that cares more about mass market appeal and how to squeeze as much money out of people in the most cynical of ways possible, without even bothering to care about the overall quality of a work. In short, the very worst of Hollywood's stereotypes brought to terrible life. 

....and all ultimately done with SEGA's blessing, which is baffling to no end given that in other spinoff media they're evidently super strict, and yet when it came to this, that strictness just evaporated. 

• Thumbs Up 4

With that second poster leak, its funny that many are still thinking this isn't the "final" design for Sonic; or that "maybe they'll change it."

I mean, really now? Is that how they think this works? I'm waiting until a trailer drops before I decide how I really feel about the movie up to this point. But I know I'll see it not matter what, because I'm legitimately interested in how this all goes. 

(Also I can't pass up seeing Jim freakin' Carrey play one of my all-time favorite characters ever!)

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, horridus said:

Its a very soulless, corporate mindset. The kind that cannot truly understand what makes something appealing on its own terms, being capable only of seeing things through the most narrow and fogged up lens possible. Its a mindset that cares more about mass market appeal and how to squeeze as much money out of people in the most cynical of ways possible, without even bothering to care about the overall quality of a work. In short, the very worst of Hollywood's stereotypes brought to terrible life. 

....and all ultimately done with SEGA's blessing, which is baffling to no end given that in other spinoff media they're evidently super strict, and yet when it came to this, that strictness just evaporated. 

Can't even argue that it doesn't work. If Yogi Bear could be a financial success, maybe this one has a shot, too. Maybe it'll get a sequel. A trilogy!

• Thumbs Up 1

So people are still arguing "video game designs won't work in a live action setting!", huh? Or that it "won't appeal to audiences outside the fandom". Despite the fact that we've *just seen* the Detective Pikachu trailer which has proven both of those statements to be nonsense.

Hell, even that live action Yogi Bear in one of the posts above looks EXACTLY like the original character.

There was no reason to take Sonic in this direction at all.

Fits the description of a "cute" face. But the design details that are different from the final version. This Sonic definitely looks more Teddy Bear-esque. And Chris Pratt?? 

11 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

So um Idk what to believe at this point 

Gives us a better idea of how he will look. In that case, at least 1. He's not the size of an adult. 2. They seem to have moved the design closer to the games than in this image.

Fuck dem eyes though. Of course the classic eyes would work.

Screw it, he could look worse. Maybe the other images have just numbed me, but at least he doesn't have beady eyes. I can sorta see how the people who saw the Brazilian teaser and weren't concerned about details would just say it was "realistically textured but still cartoony".

Maybe jumping the gun, but perhaps the reaction to this wouldn't have been so visceral if they showed the design in full like this instead of that silhouette that left just enough to the imagination to be horrifying. At least the speculation is finally over. Unless this is fake or an early design.

• Thumbs Up 5

10 minutes ago, Dr Ryan said:

Gives us a better idea of how he will look. In that case, at least 1. He's not the size of an adult. 2. They seem to have moved the design closer to the games than in this image.

Fuck dem eyes though. Of course the classic eyes would work.

Sonic is fast, but apparently not fast enough to dodge the..

372b.png

• Chuckle 1

25 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

So um Idk what to believe at this point 

I could deal with that... but the question still remains if he still looks like that.

Are his feet on top of Tom's head? That's hilarious.

• Thumbs Up 2

Pretty sure the poster is faked. Chris Pratt iirc wasn’t even signed onto the project for more than a week, if he even accepted the role.

• Thumbs Up 1

The shoes are different. Idk, I'm not ready to say it's real. I found this even odder

IMG_20181213_014043.thumb.jpg.e423766ecbbdf7a1bffaf2a0323d6c30.jpg

Schwartz was not even considered? Even though Tim Miller said they wanted him the moment he did the voice for the proof of concept teaser?

Also, where is Marsden? I could buy this list if Owen Wilson and Jack Black's names made it onto the list as those two were also considered along with Rudd. 

If it's fake, it's a really good fake. Sonic's face does remind me of the way they designed Yogi Bear. Not getting a badass rebel vibe from him like the posters released. Also, he's the size of a Toddler now.. So Classic.

Seems weird they'd create a CG version of Sonic before they even greenlit the cast and script. The cast list also makes no sense to me. Reminds me of those fake E3 announcements lists.

The shoes are completely different. And the positioning of his right foot looks weird.

That said, I think I could live with this.