Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Apparently NOONE in the bizz thinks Sonic works as his own. There HAS to be something apparently. FUCK IT it's apparent... I need to start sending in ideas to write/draw/ whatEVER to these companies and PROVE sonic can work with what's in the fucking games with OUT add-ons. Seriously..... this is depressing and almost kills all the good press Boom is getting. What the fuck america.

I predict the plot of this film will be one of three things:

1) Sonic and friends are transported to Earth due to some kind of plot convenience like Eggman's malfunctioning machine in Sonic X, ultimately playing out like The Smurfs did (i.e. having bugger all to do with the main characters' world at all)

2) Sonic is a pre-established videogame character and is somehow brought to life by... something!

3) Sonic just exists on Earth anyway and the whole world is a clusterfuck of anthropomorphic animals and humans

Whichever you choose, they're all stupid. I don't want this to be Sonic X: The Movie, and I don't want the whole thing to be self aware that Sonic is a gaming character, because that ruins the whole suspension of disbelief (it managed to work in Wreck-It Ralph because they were still in the game world).

Gaaaah I just have zero interest in this film, yet I know I'll still go to see it, just to find out for myself how truly terrible it turns out to be.

Perhaps a 4th option, but I don't have as much hope, but IF it happened, I'd probably love it for how terrible it would be.

4.) Sonic and gang are mutants.

That's one thing I don't understand either. Why does SEGA want so many different Sonic's?

At first I thought this was going to be a movie based on Boom!Sonic, then I heard it was going to be animated by Marza and I went "Oh ok, so it's a SEGA!Sonic movie?" But nope, now I hear it's going to be a live action hybrid a la Transformers and the Smurfs (this is Sony guys, it's not gonna be like the LEGO movie at all).

So now we have SEGA!Sonic, Boom!Sonic, movie!Sonic and on top of that, Archie!Sonic as well! It's a mess!

One of the many things that worries me is that this could still be SEGA Sonic.

I...oh God...

But it's going to look so out of place in a real world setting. Remember Sonic 06? I have a feeling this Sonic is going to look more realistic like what they did with the Smurfs and the Chipmunks...and Transformers. *gags*

I have to echo FearTear. I can't really bring myself to care about this in a good way. I see no positives. Unless the live action will be limited to just small portions of the film, then I'm not confident on that subject. Also, the guy behind it has a rouges gallery of bad films under his belt. I can't say I feel confident with him.

Honestly, I'm happy with the Boom TV series, and I have faith that Sonic Teams next game will be as good, if not, better than Generations. I really have no reason to care about this unless it proves itself to be something good.

Okay, so we've been doing fairly good so far, but I want to give everyone a quick reminder to lay off the pointless posts.  That means post which are nothing but "fuck this" videos and gifs or whatever count as spam.

Anyway, yeah, I can't say the news of a live action Sonic movie rubs me the right way.  Call me shallow, but honestly, I don't like cartoons that don't involve primarily at least semi-realistic humans becoming live action as is.  It just removes a good deal of the charm.  Like the original Ninja Turtles movies were things I didn't like as a kid, but as an adult I came to appreciate them simply because they remind me of my childhood.  However, It doesn't take much to remind myself that they were not exactly wonderful movies by any means, nostalgia aside.  The Super Mario Bros. movie was utter tat for a variety of reasons, but we can all at least agree that even if those problems were sorted out, it still wouldn't feel like a Mario movie with the aesthetics being so completely contrary to what was presented in the games.

And this is ignoring the fact that this formula of half-CGI and half-live action leads to cringe worthy results approximately 100% of the time, (no, seriously; I have never seen it work well) which presents a whole set of problems in and of itself.  I love the current direction the main series Sonic is taking and I'm still quite stoked for Boom, but I can't help but be just a little (and by a little, I mean very) skeptical any time the words "live action" is brought up in relation to something related to Sonic.  Naturally, I'll be giving it its rightful chance, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it to change my mind.

Ugh, it's like they did everything that I didn't want them to do with this movie.  I just want a proper, animated movie like Sonic OVA only with voice acting that isn't total garbage.  Is this request so much to ask for?! ;_;

• Thumbs Up 1

The sad thing is, Indigo, that's probably exactly what the plot will be.

OH THE HUMANITY

• Thumbs Up 1

*Oscar winner*

I respect you.

Now give me my sequel featuring Elise the six year old that looks and acts like Honey Boo Boo.

I am praying it'll be some nostalgia scene with some kid playing a Sonic game and some transition is made for going inside the game or something.  As long as it's like that then this will be a movie I can feel happy to wait for.

That would make it just a copy of MegaMan OVA. That movie was too good to be copied off of.

I'm sure the movie will be bad, but why would it matter if it's SEGA!Sonic?

Because Sega!Sonic's been pooped on so much in it's poor lifetime that it needs no more of this kind of stuff? :v

Also... I wonder if this movie announcement means that we'll get a game adaptation, ho ho because you know, that will be the best thing ever!

Because I want to be able to disassociate it.

Also... I wonder if this movie announcement means that we'll get a game adaptation, ho ho because you know, that will be the best thing ever!

A game of a movie of a game.

Because Sega!Sonic's been pooped on so much in it's poor lifetime that it needs no more of this kind of stuff? :v

In the end it's still Sonic, so I doubt those people will know or care about the fact that it's technically a different Sonic.

Granted there's a slim chance they will do good with this but if not I have to admit I fear this will be the first time I go to a kids animated movie and be embarrassed to buy my ticket.

*an epic major motion picture event*

tumblr_ml87q0tkrp1re3x32o1_.gif

That was wonderful...and yet so tragic at the same time.

Because this is what the real trailer might actually look like.

• Thumbs Up 1

Strangely, the idea of a Sonic movie doesn't actually upset me. I always thought it would.

Then I read "part live-action".

Then I saw unknown quantity writers and a producer with an awful track record. Oh dear.

As someone said earlier, our greatest hope is development hell.

Also, seriously Sega, how many different "universes" do we need?

YES. We'll finally get Shadow The Hedgehog 2! Sanic breaking into military bases shooting people with guns! Kids love guns! Kids love Justin Bieber and One Direction! Contact them to do the soundtrack! Bribe every reviewer into giving it GOTY. We'll make biiiiilllions!

As for the movie, I hope Shrek cameos.

Yeah but seriously, no movie tie in game. Please. We don't even know if Boom's show tie in game will be good.

Okay, so we've been doing fairly good so far, but I want to give everyone a quick reminder to lay off the pointless posts.  That means post which are nothing but "fuck this" videos and gifs or whatever count as spam.

*post which falls under Tara's definition.*

It'd be one thing if you two posted at the same time, but there's around half an hour's difference between your post and Tara's so I'm not sure how you missed this.

I'm not trying to stamp on anyone's fun, but be mindful of when the mods are posting and read what they have to say. We're constantly reiterating the rules everywhere in times of high news cycles so we can keep things together, and it's your responsibility to be aware of them.

So once again: no more media-only posts. Unless it's a news update with a trailer and/or screenshots, these posts aren't really contributing to the conversation.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm looking at this objectively, and while I agree that being partly live-action is a bad idea, I don't see how it will affect anything other than aesthetics. Call me delusional if you want, but I doubt we're going to have another "Sonic X" scenario, much less "Sonic Live".

I honestly don't know what to think about the live-action/CGI hybrid movie. On the one hand I think it's great we are getting Sonic movies. This kind of exposure could and should be fantastic for the brand as a whole. It looked like Sonic was gradually fading away into nothingness with the average games we've been getting, a slow and painful death. Then all of a sudden Sonic gets an excellent cameo in Wreck-It Ralph, a new branch aka Sonic Boom with new games, a tv series and toys, and now multiple movies in the coming years.

Is the Sonic brand dead? Hell no, this could be very exciting times for the franchise and I hope beyond hope that the movies are both a financial success with strong acclaim.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised when I heard the term 'live-action' but you might want to stick around as the final product could end up being surprisingly good, and who knows what success this could bring. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm looking at this objectively, and while I agree that being partly live-action is a bad idea, I don't see how it will affect anything other than aesthetics. Call me delusional if you want, but I doubt we're going to have another "Sonic X" scenario, much less "Sonic Live".

Live action adaptations feature a big change of setting (often taking place in a real location), often introduce unpopular characters and redesigns and the story focus often shifts to something people don't like as well.

And even if the only thing affected was aesthetics, aesthetics count for a hell of a lot.

• Thumbs Up 2