Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I know this is fan made, but this could give us a look of how Jim could looked like as Dr. Eggman in the movie.:

Also, here is the Sonic Movie Twitter account post an tweet about Jim.:

I’m starting to like the name Robotnik, even if I’m not familiar with the name. Sounds bad ass and evil.

• Thumbs Up 3

Tim Miller said in an interview (back when the motion poster was first released) that part of the movie will take place on another planet. I think that all but confirms a brief cameo by Tails, Knuckles and Amy.

https://m.ign.com/articles/2018/12/10/sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-first-look-check-out-the-exclusive-official-poster

9 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

I know this is fan made, but this could give us a look of how Jim could looked like as Dr. Eggman in the movie.:

Holy shit, Ken Penders makes a surprise appearance!

• Chuckle 1

Curious btw guys... I know this is a 'fan image' (kind of) but it's clearly influenced by an amalgamation of the revealed movie images..

Would you be cool with this? I kinda would... (It's not what I wanted, but not bad.)Screenshot_20190107-232754.thumb.jpg.4193f3daa4eddde6eb8b09cefc9a5460.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5
  • My Emmerdoods 1

15 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Also, here is the Sonic Movie Twitter account post an tweet about Jim.:

I’m starting to like the name Robotnik, even if I’m not familiar with the name. Sounds bad ass and evil.

Hmm... the Carey edit isn't bad, but I think the closest 'real life' emulation you could ever do of Eggman's 'stache would be a mutton-chops/mustache combo, like so- 

lemmy-kilmister.jpg?w=1200&h=799&crop=1

Granted, that kinda blurs the line between mustache and beard, but again, I think its as close to resembling his mustache as you could get in real life. 

As for 'Robotnik', well, there's a bit of a story behind that- see, when Sonic was first released, there was a localization made for the Western release (Europe and the Americas), in order to maximize sales. This would go on to form the loose basis of the English language take on the games, wherein the evil mad scientist imprisoning animals to fuel his robots was 'Dr. Ivo Robotnik', archenemy of Sonic. Throughout the 90s, this would be the name of Eggman in the English language games, which would subsequently be used for the various adaptations and spinoffs (the cartoons and comics), while in Japan he was always 'Dr. Eggman'. 

Eventually, SEGA would decide they wanted a more coherant approach to their overall franchise, and eventually the name 'Robotnik' was phased out- 1999's Sonic Adventure would be the last time that the name was used in any meaningful capacity, and starting with Sonic Adventure 2 he would simply be 'Dr. Eggman'. Notably, the English localization of Sonic Adventure would seem to signify the shift as 'Eggman' starting out as an insult from Sonic to the doc, with the doc subsequently adopting the moniker as his own in all future installments. 

The precise status of the name 'Ivo Robotnik' is something of a source of controversy within the fandom, namely whether or not its a valid name, which isn't helped by the fact that SEGA themselves, as tends to be the case with far, far too much stuff, are rather ambivalent and vague on the subject a lot of the times. The fact that Eggman's grandfather Gerald and cousin Maria both bear the surname 'Robotnik' would seem to indicate that that 'Ivo Robotnik' is indeed Eggman's birth name, and that 'Eggman' is an alias he himself uses. That being said, it never really comes up in the games, save for a single shout-out in Sonic Generations, and its uncertain whether or not SEGA really accepts it. 

Sufficed to say its one of those small things that tends to ignite weird amounts of passion and bitching within the fandom, but either way, this will be the first time in a very long time that the name Robotnik will be used in a Sonic product over Eggman. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

This might be unrelated, but I like how the Sonic movie featured the Golden Gate Bridge, while Bumblebee which was released in theaters last month also featured the bridge too. They were both distributed by Paramount.

64EC6110-2BF0-490C-B7C2-82E919D68720.thumb.jpeg.7a562e582e84d412ba5e2e0cea4af79d.jpeg34096E39-088D-4A86-992D-C9CFD4C93E59.jpeg.e7403d3a0826aac432e8770a68c20dfc.jpeg

So, Sonic and Transformers confirmed to set in the same universe? Lol.

• Chuckle 1

36 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

This might be unrelated, but I like how the Sonic movie featured the Golden Gate Bridge, while Bumblebee which was released in theaters last month also featured the bridge too. They were both distributed by Paramount.

64EC6110-2BF0-490C-B7C2-82E919D68720.thumb.jpeg.7a562e582e84d412ba5e2e0cea4af79d.jpeg34096E39-088D-4A86-992D-C9CFD4C93E59.jpeg.e7403d3a0826aac432e8770a68c20dfc.jpeg

Hmm. If G.I. Joe confirms it's Set in the same universe as the Transformers movies then Sonic-Hasbro Cinematic Universe confirmed. 

1 hour ago, horridus said:

Hmm... the Carey edit isn't bad, but I think the closest 'real life' emulation you could ever do of Eggman's 'stache would be a mutton-chops/mustache combo, like so-

I don't think they need to worry about giving him a REAL mustache. A big fake mustache should do the trick as long they do a good job. I even seen bigger mustaches then suggested in that fan made concept image on non-cartoon based movies before.

DUJ8iuD.png

If other movies can do it, then they can too... assuming the Sonic movie staff cares whatsoever.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, horridus said:

Granted, that kinda blurs the line between mustache and beard, but again, I think its as close to resembling his mustache as you could get in real life. 

As for 'Robotnik', well, there's a bit of a story behind that- see, when Sonic was first released, there was a localization made for the Western release (Europe and the Americas), in order to maximize sales. This would go on to form the loose basis of the English language take on the games, wherein the evil mad scientist imprisoning animals to fuel his robots was 'Dr. Ivo Robotnik', archenemy of Sonic. Throughout the 90s, this would be the name of Eggman in the English language games, which would subsequently be used for the various adaptations and spinoffs (the cartoons and comics), while in Japan he was always 'Dr. Eggman'. 

Eventually, SEGA would decide they wanted a more coherant approach to their overall franchise, and eventually the name 'Robotnik' was phased out- 1999's Sonic Adventure would be the last time that the name was used in any meaningful capacity, and starting with Sonic Adventure 2 he would simply be 'Dr. Eggman'. Notably, the English localization of Sonic Adventure would seem to signify the shift as 'Eggman' starting out as an insult from Sonic to the doc, with the doc subsequently adopting the moniker as his own in all future installments. 

The precise status of the name 'Ivo Robotnik' is something of a source of controversy within the fandom, namely whether or not its a valid name, which isn't helped by the fact that SEGA themselves, as tends to be the case with far, far too much stuff, are rather ambivalent and vague on the subject a lot of the times. The fact that Eggman's grandfather Gerald and cousin Maria both bear the surname 'Robotnik' would seem to indicate that that 'Ivo Robotnik' is indeed Eggman's birth name, and that 'Eggman' is an alias he himself uses. That being said, it never really comes up in the games, save for a single shout-out in Sonic Generations, and its uncertain whether or not SEGA really accepts it. 

Sufficed to say its one of those small things that tends to ignite weird amounts of passion and bitching within the fandom, but either way, this will be the first time in a very long time that the name Robotnik will be used in a Sonic product over Eggman. 

The last media before this to use it were Archie, as well as Boom (as a one-off joke), not including official Twitter silliness (which has also made use of Mobius). Mania didn’t even acknowledge the name, either. 

1 hour ago, Dr Ryan said:

Curious btw guys... I know this is a 'fan image' (kind of) but it's clearly influenced by an amalgamation of the revealed movie images..

Would you be cool with this? I kinda would... (It's not what I wanted, but not bad.)Screenshot_20190107-232754.thumb.jpg.4193f3daa4eddde6eb8b09cefc9a5460.jpg

I think the picture itself looks good, but a full movie with that style of Sonic.. Ehhh. I don't know.

You know about that chopped Toyota Tacoma that was spotted on set,  I was thinking that Sonic and Tom could be chasing that truck.

v1wtfpwya6m11.jpg

So, I made a picture of how the scene of Sonic and Tom chasing the fleeing truck could looked like. Yea, I draw the truck with the roof on. So, maybe, there could be a scene with Sonic trying to stop the driver from fleeing, which result in the truck getting its roof chopped by maybe a semi-trailer.:

stopping_a_fleeing_truck_by_kitsuoi_dcwr

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, Myst said:

Tim Miller said in an interview (back when the motion poster was first released) that part of the movie will take place on another planet. I think that all but confirms a brief cameo by Tails, Knuckles and Amy.

https://m.ign.com/articles/2018/12/10/sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-first-look-check-out-the-exclusive-official-poster

So it's been confirmed that this movie is just "Sonic X - The movie". So..just a rehash of a previous idea..I guess Sonic just can't break away from reused ideas anywhere he goes.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, horridus said:

I propose Dan Palmer as Eggman:

488151056_1280x720.jpg

9 hours ago, Dr Ryan said:

Weird realistic takes are fun as novelty fan art but not the kind of thing I would want to endure for a 90 minute - 2 hour movie.

1 hour ago, Tarnish said:

So it's been confirmed that this movie is just "Sonic X - The movie". So..just a rehash of a previous idea..I guess Sonic just can't break away from reused ideas anywhere he goes.

Sonic with humans has been a thing since 1998 various times. Since 1991 if you include Eggman. But yeah maybe this looks more similar to Sonic X. I don't think it's a rehashed idea though, and still, having a cop instead of a spoiled brat teen is way better. But... I'll wait for some footage before giving a real opinion.

• Thumbs Up 3

12 minutes ago, Jack in the Snow said:

Sonic with humans has been a thing since 1998 various times. Since 1991 if you include Eggman. But yeah maybe this looks more similar to Sonic X. I don't think it's a rehashed idea though, and still, having a cop instead of a spoiled brat teen is way better. But... I'll wait for some footage before giving a real opinion.

Well the whole "Sonic somehow thrust into the human world from his own" was the whole concept of Sonic X, previous instances (like Sonic Adventure 1 and 2) suggested a more "Sonic and humans have been living together forever on the same planet" approach.

• Thumbs Up 5

13 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

By that logic you could add Star Trek aswell, because San Francisco would be the future site of Starfleet HQ & the Starfleet Academy. 😉

14 hours ago, Dr Ryan said:

No, That concept poster looked better. I hate how the arms are half blue half peach here. It makes it look like he's losing fur. The toned stomach is also creepy.

Also, he's doing the Dreamworks face lol

1 hour ago, Marcello said:

Also, he's doing the Dreamworks face lol

In all fairness, Sonic's been doing the side-smirk raised-brow bit all his life. 

2 hours ago, Adamis said:

Sonic the Comic had Earth as a twin planet to Mobius, with Sonic being transported to the human world once.

Also, this was a retcon, as it was earlier stated Mobius was locked off from earth by anti-matter. 

I know there is like 0% chance of the Chaotix appearing in the movie, but if they appear in the movie, I would imagine they would own an van as an mobile office to help people solve cases on the go in order to get paid. Well, they like to get paid. So, I draw them taking an break in their van in San Francisco Chinatown.:

taking_an_break_in_chinatown_by_kitsuoi_dcwui9a-pre.jpg

If there is any other Sonic character appearing besides Sonic and Eggman, it will probably be just Tails, Knuckles, and Amy. That's all. Nobody else besides these three.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/10/2019 at 3:46 PM, Myst said:

It could just be that it’s Planet Wisp and we now get to see Live-Action Wisps...

Imagine what they’d look like...

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

It could just be that it’s Planet Wisp and we now get to see Live-Action Wisps...

Imagine what they’d look like...

Well Planet Wisp is kind of a stretch and not as likely for the 1st film.

But I agree with @Tarnish with it being another version of Sonic X. A version where hopefully Sonic (and or other Sonic characters) gets more focus than the human characters.

As for a trailer though I really hope it gets shown at the super bowl next month. Not sure if it will, but that's the closest event I can think of. Unless they show the trailer at PAX South 2019 (LOL🤣) from January 18th through the 20th. Not likely since it's a relatively smaller event.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/10/2019 at 6:04 PM, Dr Ryan said:

I don't like the body but I'd be happy if the face/head looked like that.

Good to be back. :)