Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Gangsters Paradise is on Page 380)

3 hours ago, Sonicfan7 said:

Guardians Of The Galaxy - fully embraces the source material

That was more of a we can change things and the source material is obscure enough that very few will care.

On 1/19/2019 at 12:57 PM, CaptainRobo said:

Found this fan made version of the poster. This could give us a closer look of how Sonic could look like in the movie.:

el_rostro_de_sonic_la_pelicula_by_ben_artmachine_dcxdbpu-pre.jpg

What do you think? Looks ok. He still look like Sonic to me.

Source

I like this a lot. 

3 hours ago, do a barrel roll said:

People are saying that SEGA is opting for a live-action movie for Sonic instead of a fully animated movie because they’re lazy and don’t want to put actual effort into making a fully CGI animated Sonic movie that can be as good as Unleashed’s CGI. While I completely agree with those people, a fully Unleashed style CGI animated Sonic movie is not impossible.

SEGA still has Marza Animation Planet, the animation studio that has animated CGI cutscenes for various Sonic games, including Sonic Unleashed. SEGA still has the resources and talent to make a fully CGI animated Sonic movie, but of course, since SEGA and Sonic Team are run by brain-dead hacks, they decided that making a live-action movie with Sonic-Man from Sonic 06 would be a much better idea and would totally do better both critically and financially than a fully CGI animated Sonic movie from an animation studio that reached Pixar levels of animation quality 10 years ago, right?

I pray that this movie bombs.

1. Paramount decided on a live action / CGI hybrid. They're the ones making all the decisions, not SEGA or Sonic Team.

2. Marza Animation Planet is working on the film alongside Blur Studios.

3. Live action / CGI takes just as much effort as a pure CGI film.

Blame Paramount and their pattern of terrible live action / CGI adaptations of classic franchises for this kind of schlock.

Apparently, a lot of adult moviegoers and movie critics have a bias against animation, and being able to see a cast consisting mostly of live humans helps sell a film to them.  At least that is the only reason I can think of why this is a good idea.

Having said all that, I am assuming that if they went for a full CGI animated film, they'd take heavily after the plots of the current games.  I am not sure that is ideal.

1 hour ago, Red said:

No doubt they're going to market the shit out of the movie with as many toys as possible.

Oh boy..can't wait to see the nightmarish toys this will result in.

It also makes me wonder whether there's gonna be a tie-in video game for this..since apparently SEGA is not happy with the design of Sonic to begin with, would they even greenlit such a thing? Do they think creating another subsection for the game franchise is a good idea?

5 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Remember that leaked concept poster that was revealed last month? They used stock images and probably Photoshop to make the poster. Not surprising.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/a67smm/regarding_the_leaked_image/

Is it supposed to be surprising? The term "concept", to me anway, already meant it's just a quick mock-up to give a general idea of what they want to go for.

1 minute ago, Tarnish said:

Is it supposed to be surprising? The term "concept", to me anway, already meant it's just a quick mock-up to give a general idea of what they want to go for.

No, it was never surprising, just want to let you know about what the pictures they used to edited and put into the poster.

5 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

Into the Spider-verse and The Lego Movie strongly disagree.

Not every animated movie can be "Spider-Verse". That movie actually pushed the limits for what an animated movie could be (even showing blood in fights). Chances are -- Sonic would not have been done the same way..

Lego Movie was a kids film aimed at 8 year olds. Prime example of why they didn't want it animated

5 hours ago, Red said:

The UK Toy Fair is today/tomorrow (depending on your timezone) so we may possibly get a look at Movie Sonic soon. No doubt they're going to market the shit out of the movie with as many toys as possible.

I actually have a pass to attend that, but can't afford to go... sad times.

Chances are if there are Sonic movie toys, you won't see them, certainly not if they're in controlled areas.

19 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

And yet they still managed to be critically acclaimed and make a ton of money. Animation is a medium. You get out of it whatever you put in.

I'm also not sure I understand the logic behind "One film was aimed at younger audiences therefore they don't want to do animation." That's the most asinine thing I've heard so far. Plenty of comic books are aimed at little kids, but we still have comics like The Walking Dead. They're not mutually exclusive.

Doesn't matter. Why didn't Marvel make the Avengers animated? Why didn't DC make Justice League animated? When you make a movie animated, you are limiting it's audience. That's just the cold hard truth. There are millions of adults who will not take the movie seriously because animation in the west Is always almost exclusively aimed at children. 

Spider-Verse is the exception but they can not have a big budget blockbuster action movie aimed at teenagers/nostalgic adults like TMNT and Transformers with animation. Paramount didn't want it and Sony didn't want it because that's not the type of movie they wanted to make. Once the trailer drops, I hope there will be an understanding as to why the concept of this movie does not work for an animated aimed at pre-teens and 7 year olds. 

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Doesn't matter. Why didn't Marvel make the Avengers animated? Why didn't DC make Justice League animated? When you make a movie animated, you are limiting it's audience. That's just the cold hard truth. There are millions of adults who will not take the movie seriously because animation in the west Is always almost exclusively aimed at children.

Because everyone took Justice League seriously. Everyone took the Ninja Turtles seriously. Everyone took Transformers seriously.

Except, if you look at their diminishing returns at the box office, you'd know that's completely untrue.

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Spider-Verse is the exception but they can not have a big budget blockbuster action movie aimed at teenagers/nostalgic adults like TMNT and Transformers with animation. Paramount didn't want it and Sony didn't want it because that's not the type of movie they wanted to make. Once the trailer drops, I hope there will be an understanding as to why the concept of this movie does not work for an animated aimed at pre-teens and 7 year olds. 

You're assuming things with no base again. Your entire argument is "This is the right decision because it's the one they made" as if no movie studio has ever made a bad film or bad decision. Spoiler: they have. Many, many times. Animation isn't inherently aimed at children and pre-teens the same way live action isn't inherently aimed at adults.

Are we going to have to lock this topic again?

I'm pretty sure one of the things I asked when it was reopened was that people just ignore when the Paramount executive inevitably came back and started saying stupid shit defending the movie. You all know that nothing will be accomplished from turning this thread into wall of text arguments spanning multiple pages with someone who won't listen, so what is the goal beyond puffing up your likes and alienating others from the thread from casually talking about it?

32 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

When you make a movie animated, you are limiting it's audience. That's just the cold hard truth.

Remember Wreck-It Ralph? An animated movie made by Disney that had many old video game characters there? It was heavily marketed towards the video game crowd, which last time I checked is all ages. I may not want them to bank on nostalgia (a huge problem Sega has nowadays) but that is a powerful way to bring in older audiences. If an older audience see's how much the thing they use to know has changed, it can scare them away. How many people were terrified of the turtles new looks? Yet Ralph kept it the same, which made it successful for everyone.

Edit: Sorry Tornado, was writting this as you posted.

14 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

Your entire argument is "This is the right decision because it's the one they made" as if no movie studio has ever made a bad film or bad decision. Spoiler: they have. Many, many times. Animation isn't inherently aimed at children and pre-teens the same way live action isn't inherently aimed at adults.

That's all I'm getting from him as well.

22 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

When you make a movie animated, you are limiting it's audience.

Hate to break it to you, but you are limiting your audience REGARDLESS what type of movie you decide on. A comedy lover isn't gonna watch your horror movie, the same way as a horror lover isn't gonna watch your comedy. There is no such thing as a "movie type that appeals to absolutely everyone and their mother".

The Incredibles 2 just made $1.243 billion..doesn't sound that it had this super limited audience you claim it should have had because it's an animated movie. While the latest Star Wars movie, Solo just bombed at the box office..a live action movie that should have appealed "to absolutely everyone and their mother" failed..how exactly do you explain that?

Reading the admin comment, I'll leave it at that.