Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

There's plenty in the next few months that could unleash the nightmare.

2 more days of London toy fair, Nuremberg toy fair next week, NY toy fair next month, the Superbowl, London Comic Con, SXSW and thats just to mid March/8 months to release.

• Thumbs Up 2

40 minutes ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

When's Hedgehog Day? Is that what Sega considers Groundhog Day? Because I've only heard of it as a Sonic Boom episode.

If that's the case then a trailer could release then. But why release a trailer then when the Super Bowl is the very next day?

Hedgehog day is Groundhog day, yes. Sega used it as a platform to announce things before, such as Sonic 4 back in the day.

Honestly wouldn't know, don't think Sonic's big enough for the Super Bowl.

Regarding the competing appeal of animated vs live-action feature films, I'd say it has to do with what each can promise and circumstances can influence how well people take them.  For superheroes, I'd say that one medium isn't necessarily better or worse than the other, but when Marvel movies started pouring out, people had already seen a lot of Spider-Man, the X-Men, and The Avengers is animated form; thus live-action depictions were a novelty.  The advent of such films didn't cause these characters to disappear from TV animation, but Into the Spider-Verse was a novelty because it was an animated feature film about superheroes, something that aside from The Incredibles 1 & 2 and Batman: Mask of the Fantasm really didn't exist.  In terms of what each medium does better, in animation you can depict more because it's not bound to the laws of reality, but in live-action you get the chance to make the fantastic more believable.

As for Sonic, though, I'm not sure how much it can take advantage of live-action.  Spider-Man and Captain America started as drawings, but they're people and can be portrayed by people.  I'll even concede that as the Transformers started as toys made to look like real vehicles, it's valid to convey them with prop vehicles or realistic CGI, even if how Michael Bay did it wasn't all that well-liked.  Sonic, though, can't be convincingly portrayed by a person in a suit or a puppet, so Sonic himself has to be animated.  The same for most other characters in the series.  Even if we concede that there are people who only watch live-action movies, those people aren't exactly obliged to watch every live-action movie ever, and I wouldn't bet on a movie called Sonic the Hedgehog being high-priority to them.  If they did watch it, I have a feeling they wouldn't have too high an opinion of it because it would ideally focus on its animated namesake.  Meanwhile, Sonic's fans might not have a high opinion of it either, since the live-action format could limit how much Sonic action they can depict.  

So in this case, at least, I don't see how making a film mostly live-action increases its appeal.  Maybe the people in charge were just operating at Mark Twain's "burnt cat" level but in optimistic form; they saw how other live-action adaptations were successful and went there without considering why they were successful.  However, another possible explanation is that based on some things I've read, people have wanted to make a live-action Sonic film ever since he was at his peak in the mid-1990s.  Back then, they could have bet on it being more of a success.  These days, though, when Sonic has a lot of die-hard fans but also is an object of mockery, and is a non-entity to many other people beside, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to gamble with this film's direction.

I won't co-sign on the hope that it fails, though.  As hit-and-miss as Sonic's self-referential humor is these days, unfortunately I can't think of anything besides humor that Sonic ever hits these days, and since they've hired a lot of comedians for the cast and are running the official Twitter in the standard meme-oriented modern Sonic way, the film can at least feasibly be funny.  Not necessarily the ideal Sonic movie, but possibly good for what it is.

15 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Anyway, I hope we get a look at the full movie design at Toy Fair today 

I actually find this kinda ironically hilarious.

Here you are trying to convince everyone the whole motive/reason behind the design of this movie is to appeal to an older audience...yet, you hope they will unveil the character design(s) at a TOY Fair of all places...I hope the irony is not lost on you.

Super Bowl makes the most sense to me. Then we might finally judge properly the design, the movie, and everything. Because right now, there is not much to give an opinion about.

9 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Super Bowl makes the most sense to me.

I assume that would cost quite the pretty penny. I'm not sure this is the kind of movie that justifies such an expense.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Tarnish said:

I assume that would cost quite the pretty penny. I'm not sure this is the kind of movie that justifies such an expense.

I think they need to be advertised somehow, and Super Bowl is the most watched TV event I believe. I think it's be worth it.

This is Paramounts 2019 slate:

What Men Want Paramount 2/8/19
Rhythm Section Paramount 2/22/19
Wonder Park Paramount 3/15/19
Pet Sematary (2019) Paramount 4/5/19
Rocketman Paramount 5/31/19
Limited Partners Paramount 6/28/19
Dora the Explorer Paramount 8/2/19
Crawl Paramount 8/23/19
Gemini Man Paramount 10/4/19
Are You Afraid of the Dark? Paramount 10/11/19
Untitled Terminator Project Paramount 11/1/19
Sonic The Hedgehog Paramount 11/8/19

Out of those for Superbowl money spending I'd speculate Terminator, Pet Semetry or Are You Afraid Of The Dark would get it over Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 3

For anyone wondering.

Toy Fair UK has NOTHING on the Sonic Movie.

There are no toys or anything regarding the Sonic movie at the event, I'd also say it's likely that there isn't anything behind closed doors either since there isn't a Sonic mascot at the event either (there's even video proof of this).

The only thing that has not been shown yet, would be Tomy's booth, however it's extremely unlikely that they have any new Sonic stuff since their 2019 catalogue has one new Sonic item in it and that's a Knuckles plush.

To put this into perspective.

Toy Story 4 has a dedicated booth with movie toys you can get hands on with.

Detective Pikachu has tons of stuff, from a huge display at the entrance, to every lanyard for the event beind detective pikachu themed.

Even the Shawn the Sheep 2 movie has some representation.

So unless NYTF has some representation, or someone manages to spot something at a closed booth and snags some pics, those who thought this would be a huge thing with lots of support... really it looks like the opposite is happening.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

17 hours ago, Rabid-Coot said:

SXSW

Not sure if there will be a Sonic panel for that, since, I heard rumors that there won't be one this year. I guess we will have to wait and see, when that comes. I think they could have one after all, I don't know. We probably going to get the announcement of the panel maybe next month. Sega did announced last year panel back in February.  If there is going to be one, maybe hopefully, we get some footage there.

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

For anyone wondering.

Toy Fair UK has NOTHING on the Sonic Movie.

There are no toys or anything regarding the Sonic movie at the event, I'd also say it's likely that there isn't anything behind closed doors either since there isn't a Sonic mascot at the event either (there's even video proof of this).

The only thing that has not been shown yet, would be Tomy's booth, however it's extremely unlikely that they have any new Sonic stuff since their 2019 catalogue has one new Sonic item in it and that's a Knuckles plush.

To put this into perspective.

Toy Story 4 has a dedicated booth with movie toys you can get hands on with.

Detective Pikachu has tons of stuff, from a huge display at the entrance, to every lanyard for the event beind detective pikachu themed.

Even the Shawn the Sheep 2 movie has some representation.

So unless NYTF has some representation, or someone manages to spot something at a closed booth and snags some pics, those who thought this would be a huge thing with lots of support... really it looks like the opposite is happening.

Well.. That's disappointing. 

3 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

It’s official. Toy Factory to make plushies based on the movie.:

Because who wouldn't love to cuddle up to the muscular monstrosity? 

• Chuckle 2

17 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

I think they need to be advertised somehow, and Super Bowl is the most watched TV event I believe. I think it's be worth it.

Which is the exact same thing every other retailer is thinking, including other movie dealers. There will be so many trailers dropped leading up to and on that day, that anything that doesn't stand out will get instantly buried - thus ruining any chance for a realistic return on investment considering how much money it costs to buy a super bowl TV spot. In almost every case, Its a waste of money.

There is no point in spending that kind of money to compete with no less than 5 other major films that will drop trailers in that short time frame. Shoot - you can't even bank on the videogame markets full interest - thanks to some annual reveals for COD and whatever other game wants to jump on that train this year.

7 hours ago, Myst said:

So I recently learned of at twitter page called Trailer Track. it's apparently run by a Hollywood Insider.

https://mobile.twitter.com/trailertrack

I don't have a twitter account. Would someone like to ask TrailerTrack when we might expect a trailer for the Sonic movie?

Well, bad news folks, unfortunately, they don’t know when the  trailer going to be released. Sorry guys, it’s looked like it’s going to be a while.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

13 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

It’s official. Toy Factory to make plushies based on the movie.:

Oh boy some people are getting way too excited over this.

These items are not retail items. They're UFO and prize redemption items. The catalogue itself is for their amusement division. Meaning that you'll find it very tough to get these legitimately, in terms of quality, you're looking at very cheap products, at best on part with what Tomy offers at retail.

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

Oh boy some people are getting way too excited over this.

These items are not retail items. They're UFO and prize redemption items. The catalogue itself is for their amusement division. Meaning that you'll find it very tough to get these legitimately, in terms of quality, you're looking at very cheap products, at best on part with what Tomy offers at retail.

We're just happy to see some merch for the movie. It ain't that deep. 😕

New York Toy Fair is next month -- this is where all of the major toy companies (Hasbro, Mattel, Jakks Pacific, S.H Figaurts) show off their new toys. We'll likely get a reveal of any products for the movie at this convention as opposed to the smaller one they're holding in London

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Alexios31 said:

Does "Toy Factory' make action figures?

Oh my no. Good gracious no.