Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

So, I found out on Twitter that the Sonic the Hedgehog movie is simply known as Sonic the Movie in Mexico. La Pelicula means The Movie.

Also, I found this fan made song. Although, not official, but it’s looked like a song that you could hear on the movie’s soundtrack. Would love to see that as part of the official soundtrack. 

On the unrelated note, here’s James Marsden appearing in a Taco Bell commercial. I kinda thought this was the trailer for the movie, since James is playing as Tom, who is one of the main human characters.:

This kinda made me hungry for some fries.

• Thumbs Up 3

That Nacho Fries commercial gives me a little bit shock because there's Sonic filming location that is similar to the one appears in that Nacho trailer, which is 1739 Dunbar street. Visual is quite similar. In a good way, but it isn't the same place. Isn't it?

• Thumbs Up 2

That felt a bit like there were clips mixed in there given how much we don't know besides Sonic being hunted by the government. Plus the alternate dimension talk only made me think of Two Worlds where Sonic has the stargate between worlds. 

Also, I don't know if this is the original upload, I went searching to find the source of this and I hope this is it, but there's this take on a realistic Sonic from last month. 

I thought you'd all find it interesting. This Sonic has a lot of cartoony elements mixed in with realistic detail and I think it's neat. They could have made his spines closer to the actual Sonic spine shape but I think it works for a "realistic" take on a cartoon hedgehog. Maybe adjust the legs to be longer though.  I just want to see what the dude looks like already more than a silhouette and a slightly obsolete concept poster. However, I still think they're treating this like a comic book movie explaining why Sonic has more realistically toned musculature and actual running shoes over the cartoony VANS kind of footwear he wears. 1330063.jpg

It feels a lot like they're trying to apply the comic book method of making movies and applying that to a videogame movie. I mean. It could work. But admittedly this fanbase is so torn that some fans would rather see no humans at all. I mean, I'd like to see a ton more Mobians myself, but what can you do? 

I mean yeah. A Spider-Verse styled movie is an awfully easy sell to me. I keep seeing Gilgalad draw all of this Sonicverse art and get excited. But I'm not exactly willing to jump on the hate bandwagon for the live action movie just yet. Is it weird? Well, yes. It's not the first idea you'd think of. But then I remember how Sega was building to Sonic living in a world more like ours in the Sonic Adventures and that they wanted a Sonic Adventure movie and it makes perfect sense why they wanted this to be live action to begin with. Look.

You don't work on a Sonic movie that you try to make official and not learn what the company wants. oh god help me I knew I acted terrible then about that whole ordeal and look back on it with disgrace. Oh well, 16 year old with a persecution complex on the internet. At least I can say I storyboarded 3/4 a whole movie and did it in 4 months. 

They wanted a live action Sonic movie really badly. Well. Here it is. I hope it's what they wanted. 

The problem is that what a company wants and what isn't completely stupid are very often at odds with each other in this series. The core issue of all this "how realistic should he look in live action" business is always going to be that the decision to make it "live action" was terrible from the outset. Sonic's character designs are more than likely the reason it sustained a lot of popularity through it's shittier outings. Having an established formula, what you get with Sonic, Tails and Knuckles being similarly-shaped and sized, is a surefire way to increase your fandom, both through the readability of those designs and in inspiring people to form communities based on fan-character creation.

Don't believe me? Why do you think Homestuck, My Little Pony, Steven Universe and the like all exploded the way they did? A big part of it was kids seeing the design formula used for the non-human characters in each and trying to replicate it (then typically smearing it everywhere because they're dumb kids). You can even see this in less-defined works, just stuff like Dragon Ball's different transformations. I mean heck, we've seen new characters since 06, but almost everyone jumped at Infinite and the custom character in Forces as a big return to formula for the main series because they actually follow the same style as everyone else, something that was previously missing from all but the comics and the Boom show.

Besides the fact that any "realistic" Sonic has a flat z e r o chance of being aesthetically pleasing (novelty fanart is all it's worth and all it ever will be), you take away a lot of the elements that define the consistency between characters, and what made kids like them in the first place. No longer can you define the character based in noodle limbs, a small oval torso and giant heads, hands and feet. Now it's this uniquely-terrible thing of it's own. And that's ignoring the hideous design choices made for this specific film.

The main problem specific to this thread is acting like this isn't basically the worst anatomy and design translation we could have possibly gotten for the character. You'd have a better design if you used the fucking Sonic Shuffle models. At least those don't give me uncanny valley vibes, and we haven't even seen this new thing's horrible face yet.

I feel like I've said a lot of this shit before, but the movie hasn't stopped being bad, so I guess I'm here anyway.

• Thumbs Up 7

9 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Besides the fact that any "realistic" Sonic has a flat z e r o chance of being aesthetically pleasing (novelty fanart is all it's worth and all it ever will be), you take away a lot of the elements that define the consistency between characters, and what made kids like them in the first place.

I sense a 'this is not meant for kids or the existing fans, this is for a new, more mainstream audience' response in the future.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

My bet is still a full reveal in February. 

I agree. Gotta be with Lego Movie 2.

7 hours ago, Tarnish said:

I sense a 'this is not meant for kids or the existing fans, this is for a new, more mainstream audience' response in the future.

If you aren't being sarcastic, that is ridiculous.  Do they actually believe the mainstream is into somewhat realistic anthropomorphic animals with superpowers?

2 hours ago, Myst said:

I agree. Gotta be with Lego Movie 2.

I am thinking that since they started trolling for publicity, the smart thing would be to release more before the publicity dies down.  People are still chortling about it now, but eventually they will move on.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

If you aren't being sarcastic, that is ridiculous.  Do they actually believe the mainstream is into somewhat realistic anthropomorphic animals with superpowers?

I am thinking that since they started trolling for publicity, the smart thing would be to release more before the publicity dies down.  People are still chortling about it now, but eventually they will move on.

Rocket Raccoon wouldn't have become insanely popular if they weren't 

Now, the movie got its first promotional partner, Toy Factory, I wonder what other companies could join to be promotional partners. Maybe Sonic Drive-In? Progressive?

On the unrelated note, one of the Sonic movie writers is writing the script for the Detective Pikachu sequel ahead of the movie release.

• Thumbs Up 2

Don't expect them to do anything real to improve the problems with this thing. If they didn't care enough to make the setting or design good the first time around, you really think they're gonna change it now?

• Thumbs Up 2

Is this at Sega or at the studio? I'm curious about the comics hanging up on the wall. 

Also, I'm pretty sure this movie would have been under heavy supervision by Sega, right? 

I don't really like how Sega works in regards to oversight of how their products are made. But this is their property. They did keep a leash on this thing... right? I mean they were very particular when Richard and I were working with them. 

This is potentially another Rise of Lyric in the making, huh. I just hope it doesn't end up where I would have much rather seen Sonic Synergy and that the problems of that game were on Sega. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think this tweet is indicative that a redesign is incoming. If so, Paramount might possibly delay the movie.

21 minutes ago, Myst said:

I think this tweet is indicative that a redesign is incoming. If so, Paramount might possibly delay the movie.

Seriously? There is ZERO chance of this happening. Miller and Fowler spent months designing the look of Sonic and they're not going to cave because of internet backlash and delay the movie another 8 months to appease people who are going to see this movie regardless of how defined Sonic's thighs are. The publicity over the design is a GOOD thing for the studio and for the marketing. 

• Way Past Cool 1

The studio and marketing aren't entitled to """good things""" when the movie we're getting is shaping up to be this terrible.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

The studio and marketing aren't entitled to """good things""" when the movie we're getting is shaping up to be this terrible.

I wish I had a crystal ball too, smh

• Absolutely 1

I don't need fucking clairvoyance to know I'm going to think this movie is shit. I knew that from the moment they had the complete level of idiocy to announce that it was a live-action/CG mix instead of a fully animated movie, the only thing Sonic has any place being. If you honestly need me to type the word "IMO" after every single sentence I type like a child, you shouldn't be on this forum or any others.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

To each their own. If the movie turns out to be garbage, I'll readily own up to my mistake in believing in the creatives for this movie. But as of now, everything we've seen/gotten from the movie are things I predicted would happen. The movie may not be OBJECTIVELY bad as a film because of creative liberties that come with the territory of film adaptation. 

I'm going to judge the movie on it's own merits when I see it 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

Let's be real here; a lot of people are going to go see this even if it's shit.  In fact, more than a few are going because they expect this to be shit, and relish the chance of chortling at yet another Sonic train wreck.  The people handling this movie (or at least the people handling it's PR) may not know how to make it good, but they sure know how to make it irresistible.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

I wish I had a crystal ball too, smh

You say this while constantly doing victory laps in this thread for this movie riling up anyone who bothers to respond to you. Stop with the condescending attitude. Especially since you seem to like throwing out that we haven't seen anything yet. Everyone is just as entitled to think it'll be bad, because they have the same amount of information you do.

17 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I don't need fucking clairvoyance to know I'm going to think this movie is shit. I knew that from the moment they had the complete level of idiocy to announce that it was a live-action/CG mix instead of a fully animated movie, the only thing Sonic has any place being. If you honestly need me to type the word "IMO" after every single sentence I type like a child, you shouldn't be on this forum or any others.

No, no one has to append "IMO" to their posts, but Tornado already asked that people move on and discuss the film without dragging things out like this because one guy won't listen. This isn't "don't argue, ever" but it's time to move on.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if its just a months worth of most feel the parts of the design we've seen is weird feedback or if they're testing a rought cut and figuring out what to change in the edit and reshoots.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/25/2019 at 5:08 AM, LongcrierCat said:

I thought you'd all find it interesting. This Sonic has a lot of cartoony elements mixed in with realistic detail and I think it's neat. They could have made his spines closer to the actual Sonic spine shape but I think it works for a "realistic" take on a cartoon hedgehog.

Err I'm not a fan of it. My opinion is that fan design really wouldn't be appealing as a canon design either... especially stuff like the little beady eyes. Also if we are talking the vague concept of what realistic spines should look like... Then this fan model is more correct then even what the official movie is doing... because a 3 sided huge spine silhouette is a cartoon simplification design concept somewhat similar to Mickey Mouse’s ears and is no way realistic... Of course when one changes it that far it makes Sonic less iconic... but that just proves farther Sonic's design concept was never meant to be viewed under a realistic light and forcing it plainly just doesn't work. Questionable realistic Sonic designs might be fun for whimsical fanworks... but nothing else honestly.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, do a barrel roll said:

Could they be listening to us or they are just joking with us and don't care?

6 hours ago, Razule said:

Isn't the movie done filming at this point? How much could feedback possibly do?

Pretty much done, as filming wrapped up in October. There were also some additional filming in San Francisco back in November, which is where Sega HQ used to be, before they moved to Burbank. I don't know how much feedback they could do. Maybe they will try to improve the design to make it less creepy? That's probably all I think of what they could do to bring some improve changes.

Spoiler

wjpf1.jpg

segaofamericabldg.jpg

3952879442_8ac6334a91_b.jpg

5 hours ago, LongcrierCat said:

Is this at Sega or at the studio? I'm curious about the comics hanging up on the wall. 

Also, I'm pretty sure this movie would have been under heavy supervision by Sega, right? 

I don't really like how Sega works in regards to oversight of how their products are made. But this is their property. They did keep a leash on this thing... right? I mean they were very particular when Richard and I were working with them. 

This is potentially another Rise of Lyric in the making, huh. I just hope it doesn't end up where I would have much rather seen Sonic Synergy and that the problems of that game were on Sega. 

Wait, you work with Sega once? I didn't know that. Interesting. Did you work on some comics with them? Just curious.

• Thumbs Up 2