Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

3 hours ago, Tarnish said:

I don't think anyone could ever make a Sonic design where he has fur that I'd like, classic/modern body proportions or not. In basically every game we ever had, they never showed him having fur, they in fact went out of their way in some instances to make it seem a lot more like skin.

Plus, let's say he has fur...does this mean his skin is beige colored on his entire body like on his muzzle and stomach? So does this make his eyelids beige colored again like in the earlier designs?

classic sonic 2 has blue eyelids.

so my 3d model has body proportions of sonic 1, sonic 1 gloves, sonic 1 eyes, but sonic 2 eyelids, sonic 2 boots.

you know, cats have pink nose skin and black nose skin. i assume hedgehogs could have (not really but let's imagine it in our "fantasy world") same kind of skin too. but. but blue instead of black (except the nose) pale pink on it's classic place except eyelids...

41 minutes ago, Myst said:

I'm having a hard time understanding this post, but some people seem to believe a trailer WILL be showing during the Super Bowl. Hmm.

https://old.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/alv000/um/

I don’t know, usually movies releasing in the fall were never advertised during the Super Bowl, according to TrailerTrack.

On an unrelated note, Jason Griffith, the former Sonic voice actor was at Paramount Studios.:

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey remember that small "teaser" at Comic Con in Brazil? Why don't they just release that right now? I mean I can understand WHY they're not releasing a full on 2 minute trailer of the movie guys! You all are forgetting that it comes out in 9 months. Trailers don't typically release that early. The movie probably isn't even finished yet. However teasers are a completely different story, and if THAT one is released, it might set everyone's full expectations. The whole argument about the designs might slow down because everyone will know what to expect. It would get people talking about the film too. Then the REAL trailer would eventually come (months later) and could display some of the movie's actual plot.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Absolutely 1

Btw, some guy made a Twitter account specifically just to ask Patrick Casey (one of the writers) about the film. He asked if there were any fart jokes in the movie and he responded by hinting that there aren't. He said "It's not a movie about farts". Here:

I find it a little bit rude how he just spammed Casey's account, but it's good to know that the comedy possibly isn't relying on toilet humor. My only other concern right now in terms of comedy (if any, which I honestly think there should be with such a bizarre concept and comedic cast) is whether or not it relies on stupid pop culture references or memes that become outdated as the film releases. Or if they did something dumb like added Trump in the film and had Sonic punch him in the face (Casey heavily emphasizes on how much he dislikes the president on his Twitter). If there are jokes, I hope they do something clever, or at best, I hope the film is unintentionally funny.

• Thumbs Up 4

So, what if the Sonic Movie get a mobile game as a tie-in game instead of a home console game. That's what all movie tie in games are nowadays like this one for example.:

Spoiler

3186168-first+image.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

^I think that's a lot more likely than a console title. As for a new poster. It's possible, after all today is the 25th year of Hedgehog Day.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Btw, some guy made a Twitter account specifically just to ask Patrick Casey (one of the writers) about the film. He asked if there were any fart jokes in the movie and he responded by hinting that there aren't. He said "It's not a movie about farts".

Well I consider the whole concept of the movie a brainfart, so there's that.

• Chuckle 1

11 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Hey remember that small "teaser" at Comic Con in Brazil? Why don't they just release that right now? I mean I can understand WHY they're not releasing a full on 2 minute trailer of the movie guys! You all are forgetting that it comes out in 9 months. Trailers don't typically release that early. The movie probably isn't even finished yet. However teasers are a completely different story, and if THAT one is released, it might set everyone's full expectations. The whole argument about the designs might slow down because everyone will know what to expect. It would get people talking about the film too. Then the REAL trailer would eventually come (months later) and could display some of the movie's actual plot.

This is absolutely 100% true. 

3 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

I noticed Patrick Casey is a bit of a dick. So maybe he wrote Sonic well? Who knows.

What makes you say that? I’m simply asking because I’ve noticed that too....

1 hour ago, Alexios31 said:

This is absolutely 100% true. 

What makes you say that? I’m simply asking because I’ve noticed that too....

He's kinda rude when people complain about the movie and (rightfully so) when they spam tweets on his page. Not saying that Sonic is rude, but a bit of an asshole and I like that.

• Absolutely 1

Anyway. People are theorizing that the silhouette poster was teased to test the waters for the final design. Thoughts? I doubt it, because we are already into production, however the movie finished shooting in November, the poster was early december, we haven't heard anything yet after that, the old poster was "casually" leaked online. And Wikipedia says the brazilian footage was only test in progress work. It's wikipedia so you know... Unreliable but it would tie, in theory, with those who saw it and came on reddit saying it was basically the old design. So everything is still up in the air?

The design is the final design. The fact that the "it's not the real design" theories are still peddling around, 2 months after the poster is hilarious and highly irritating. The design is not going to change, people will stay in denial about it all the way up to trailer release and I bet even then, some folks are going to (want to) believe it's a fake design. 

I fucking give up 

• Absolutely 1

27 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

I fucking give up

Maybe this means there won't be any repetitious back n' forths any time someone brings up how they don't like the design.

Then that's the point of releasing a silhouette and then go silent for months. I believe it's the final design but...

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe they wanted to get people through the stages of grief before the trailer hits, mabe the mystery of whats not shown will attract more attention to the trailer or maybe they needed to launch the first stage of marketing but they messed up so badly they're afraid to show the face.

Press is press. With 1 darkened out image they sent 80% of the fanbase into a worst-case-senario tizzy and cratered expectations with the vast majority of it as well. Which can then in turn be parlayed into a positive. They've all but guaranteed their trailer reveal will get its far share of attention thanks to this - and if they can string together something clever in the marketing department, or if the trailer is legit funny and/or cool and/or impactful or if the design simply isn't as bad as a lot of people are fearing - then they come out ahead.

The point is, people are talking about it. Thats more than you can say for a lot of other movies coming out in 8 months.

• Thumbs Up 1

My only thing is that they should have just gone in whole hog instead of repeating the whole BOOM! fiasco all over again. I don't know what their marketing division is thinking but even a little research would have shown that using silhouettes to advertise different designs to Sonic does not sit well and usually ends poorly. Now they have a silhouette that most vocal people are deriding and presenting a general disdain for the final reveal. The only benefit to taking this long is actually getting the most vocal dissenters to burn themselves out and grow apathetic enough to give the marketing team room to breathe.

I really don't want another boom,  but I think this a case its a wait and see as one will never know till it comes out,  lets just hope its not another boom.

shame Nigel Kitching and Richard Elson are never asked to be involved in this sort of thing, as art wise and personality wise they got sonic spot on as  sonic the OVA backs that up as Sonic team, yuji naka and naoto oshima  where heavily involved in that and it really shows.  

and TBH no one else has ever  really got sonic like they did, nor his world.

he's  always MR happy, and as someone who was there  at the start of  sonic 1990s mania that's not how sonic was. He had a bad attitude, the sort guy that is hard to get along with,  but he's really good at his Job, and that shows depth as not everyone is perfect in all aspects of there lives.

Huge shame there never asked to work on sonic again. But yeah sadly this film is case of wait and see.

If we don't get a trailer tomorrow, we have the NY Toy Fair to look forward to. It's possible that, they might reveal Sonic's actual design there.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

4 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

If we don't get a trailer tomorrow, we have the NY Toy Fair to look forward to. It's possible that, they might reveal Sonic's actual design there.

Yeah, but I don't think they will reveal his design via a toy leak. 

Boom was advertised by Sega. This is Hollywood (mostly Paramount). We know Sega sucks at marketing. Didn't help that RoL was a disaster in quality. I'm not expecting that bad of a situation here. The movie is a bigger deal and people are talking about it...

Still, I just don't buy the speculated "prepare for the worst" marketing strategy and I don't buy that the design isn't ready. I'm just confused now... One thing I know for sure is that silhouettes tend to make people go crazy and they knew that.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Absolutely 1