Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

1 hour ago, Failinhearts said:

Just gonna give my own two cents on the situation without being too fixated on either side on this debate.

In terms of the optimists like PeterPancake, I can understand and empathize why he has such high hopes for the film and the decisions it makes in every step of the way, no matter how inaccurate and unservicable it is to the portrayal of the Sonic we all know. His goal, his sort of dream in a sense is to have Sonic in the public eye again to make him as successful as he was since the 90s. I speculate that when Boom was a thing, I bet Peter was one of the guys with the same amount of hopes in regards to the push in both show, games and merchandising Boom presented.

And I can totally understand that. This is why he talks about box office a lot and what the turnout could be, he just wants as many people as possible to see Sonic again and maybe become a mainstream figure in pop culture once again since let's be honest, he's definitely been a lot more niche as the years go on due to the negative reception of his games and not having as big of a public presence as say, Mario compared to his hayday. He's still recognizable by many, but you know what I mean.

So he'll take things like realism, PG-13, swearing, hip music, whatever it may be because he knows that'll draw the mainstream crowd due to these tropes' presence in other financially successful films.

It may be considered shallow that Peter just wants people to enjoy what has Sonic's name on it, regardless on if it's truly what the franchise represents, but it's not without well-intent. He wants to see kids on the playground talk about Sonic again, Sonic advertisements whereever you go due to how gosh dang populsr the movie got, toy shelves chock full with the blue blur, he longs for the days where Sonic was big. And he believes the movie is that stepping stone, no matter what sacrifices had to be made.

At least, that's what I believe.

On the other hand, I'm one of the people after seeing the poster am not confident in the film. While I hope the kids who see it would enjoy the original Sonic as they look for more content regarding him, similar to how I watched Bayformers and am now a massive fan of many Transformers continuities, and that being the one thing I hope the movie delivers in terms of the outcome... I obviously can't shake the fear that it would only drag Sonic's name in the mud further.

Because the fandom would only become further divided with new fans joining the fray, when it's already split as is. Fans, and potentially critics alike would hate on the film for its lack of loyality to the source material and potentially being an unoriginal, lackluster hollywood product as well. Most importantly, it just would hurt to see this beloved hedgehog be portrayed like this. The hedgehog we loved, we cared for and endured years and years of fandom conflict and disappointment over... be depicted as this muscular freak with a setting and premise devoid of all charm and personality the games ooze, all the fans have the right to voice their disdain over this film. I already did in a video, for crying out loud.

Say what you want about Bayformers, but at least at its core, it still felt like Transformers in its plot. The Autobots and Decepticons wage war on Cybertron, their conflict comes to Earth, boy and his car story, and there is still a semblance of original source material loyality in there, particularly through the return of Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime and a modern remake of the original movie theme.

The Sonic movie has... Sonic and Eggman. Oh, and Green Hill basically Radiator Springs from Cars. Okay?

And the sad thing is that we went this far back... but it's 2019. 12 years since Bayformers hit the scene. I'm not saying that Bayformers was a masterpiece by any means of the imagination, but you think, especially with Paramount releasing Bumblebee two months ago, a loving homage to Transformers' legacy... you think those same guys would've learned their lesson by now on how to represent a franchise correctly?

This is not the Sonic I want people to see when we could've gotten much better than this to put the blue guy back on the map.

But yeah, that's just my stance. I understand both sides of this little debate, and while I'm definitely more on the viewpoint of those who despise what this film's doing, I'm not gonna berate Peter for his intent. 

Precisely this, man. I was one of the people excited for Boom, championing it as the next step and fresh start that the franchise needed. I was hoping that game/show could be what this movie has the potential to be. Obviously I was disappointed. But you nailed it. All I want is for Sonic to become a multi-media icon again.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

Precisely this, man. I was one of the people excited for Boom, championing it as the next step and fresh start that the franchise needed. I was hoping that game/show could be what this movie has the potential to be. Obviously I was disappointed. But you nailed it. All I want is for Sonic to become a multi-media icon again.

That's a cool thing to want and frankly something I would like to believe most fans desire.

I think perhaps where people develop their friction with you is with what you are willing to sacrifice to get it which comes across as everything to some of us. I know for a fact I want to see Sonic as I was introduced to him done right again instead of handled so haphazardly that he has no defining identity asides from a lack of quality. Conversely, a lot of your hope for Sonic to be brought back to relevancy reads as you don't care what has to be given up to get there. It reads as though even if Sonic was turned into Sonic Man as played by Tom Cruise you would be good for it if it made him popular again, consistency and execution of the originally published ideas be damned. Mind me for my use of extreme hyperbole but that is how sometimes it reads, that you are willing to get rid of everything Sonic is known for in exchange for some popularity. My question is at that point, can you still say that it is Sonic who is popular or a replacement of Sonic that is popular? There is a lot more to Sonic than just being a blue hedgehog who runs fast and the saying that that is all you need is like saying any white actor will be popular simply because they are a white actor. It actively ignores everything that gives these individuals their identity and why people like(d them in the first place which is the same thing with Sonic. I agree seeing him being popular again would be great, but I'm not willing to pay as great a price as you are and I think that is perhaps the root of why so many people disagree with you. It might be a point where you might want to address how much you are willing to sacrifice for Sonic's popularity to help people see more clearly why you are good with this direction.

Hopefully though in the end my fears of further brand fracturing failing to strengthen the franchise will be for naught and your hopes for the movie putting Sonic back on the map will come to fruition. Even if this movie isn't for me I don't want to let my biases stifle the hopes that we should all have for the franchise. 

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, MrPolynomialX said:

Keep this in mind guys...

Ben Schwartz is a sonic fan, and he claims the movie is amazing!

Kill me.PNG

Would any people working on Sonic say they aren't fans?

Besides Pontaff and Ken Penders, I mean.

At least we're being able to put somethings in perspective about understanding each other. Hopefully this would mean the sorta apprehension between sides would die down a bit as long as we understand where the other is coming.

Not agreeing, but at least understanding.

Of course, saying a project you worked on sucks before it's released is a good way to lose a lot of employment opportunities.

Man, my heart was racing for a second. The tweet hadn't fully loaded for me yet and all I saw was you saying 'MAN IVE BEEN WAITING A LONG TIME TO SEE THIS!' I thought it was an official reveal of Sonic for a second.

• Absolutely 1

Looking at the photo again, This doesn't look like some quickly done selfie on a phone. The photography seems a bit.. professional.

OH SNAP could this be from a magazine article like Entertainment Weekly!? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

I'm confused. They said "mini-non movie related" thing, but everyone's acting like we're getting something movie related.

Also is anyone else getting the feeling that we're getting another Sonic cartoon? Either that, or more Mania Adventures episodes.

• Way Past Cool 2

10 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I'm confused. They said "mini-non movie related" thing, but everyone's acting like we're getting something movie related.

Also is anyone else getting the feeling that we're getting another Sonic cartoon? Either that, or more Mania Adventures episodes.

Well, there’s this.:

What if that rumored cartoon is based on the movie? However, I doubt it based on that. Probably will be something Classic Sonic related.

Anyway, back to the topic.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Too Many Rings 1

Actually, I think it will. If Paramount wants Sonic to be a franchise, it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to make a cartoon to coincide with the movie on Nickelodeon.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, someone made some art of how Jim could probably most likely look like as Eggman. 

I think he might look like something similar to like this. What do you think?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

So, someone made some art of how Jim could probably most likely look like as Eggman. 

I think he might look like something similar to like this. What do you think?

What's up with the Bugs Bunny teeth?

13 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

How faithful the movie is will not be the deciding factor for anybody outside of US. We need to stop equating the two as if that spells OBJECTIVE doom for this project.

I love when people see no problem with using a brand name for recognition and marketing power, but feel they have no responsibility to be faithful to said brand name. To me that just translates to "Thanks for the help, now fuck off."

• Thumbs Up 4

13 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

They stated in a follow up that they couldn't share it because the person who sent it them's name was all over the footage due to them working on it.

As far as I'm aware this is actually fairly common practice for work prints of trailers (to prevent leaks from being released) - amusingly he probably put someone at risk merely by revealing it was a work print, however inadvertently. 

Ahhhh ok , well that’s fair enough if he’s telling the truth. Though this is the internet though so I’m not holding my breath.

39 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

I love when people see no problem with using a brand name for recognition and marketing power, but feel they have no responsibility to be faithful to said brand name. To me that just translates to "Thanks for the help, now fuck off."

I find there being serious irony claiming this because if that was the case, why do you think they’re using the brand in the first place? If they’re that gunho sure that this movie is going to be a success and they didn’t need Sonic so fuck paying respects or accurately portraying the source material, why would you use him in the first place? It’s a completely contradictory statement, you can’t argue that Sonic is being used due to being a massive fan-draw and nostalgia pandering, and then also arguing that “the movie will be fantastic on its own merits and doesn’t need this franchise in the first place!”.

Like stop for a second and think why they felt the need to drag in a massively popular game franchise and character into a story that has no place for him, because I know for sure the first thought that doesn’t come to mind for me is “this movie doesn’t need sonic to be good”.

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I find there being serious irony claiming this because if that was the case, why do you think they’re using the brand in the first place? If they’re that gunho sure that this movie is going to be a success and they didn’t need Sonic so fuck paying respects or accurately portraying the source material, why would you use him in the first place? It’s a completely contradictory statement, you can’t argue that Sonic is being used due to being a massive fan-draw and nostalgia pandering, and then also arguing that “the movie will be fantastic on its own merits and doesn’t need this franchise in the first place!”.

Like stop for a second and think why they felt the need to drag in a massively popular game franchise and character into a story that has no place for him, because I know for sure the first thought that doesn’t come to mind for me is “this movie doesn’t need sonic to be good”.

You would have to ask the makers of this movie these questions, as they're the only ones with true answers. But to me it sure feels like they're doing the barest of bare minimum for this movie to have ties with the Sonic we know. So far, if it weren't for that mutated Sonic silhouette, almost nothing about this movie suggests this is a Sonic movie.

They could shown the Golden Gate bridge picture without Sonic..you would never know it's a Sonic movie. You could look at the car chase shots, nothing makes you think this is a Sonic movie. Or any of the town shots.

If they showed a CGI picture of just a random Green Hill scenery without anything else on it, you would have no doubt that's from a Sonic movie. Or even some industrial base with an Eggman logo on a wall, you know it's a Sonic movie.

• Thumbs Up 3