Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Just now, Tracker_TD said:

At this point if you don’t know why people aren’t being receptive towards this, it’s not because you don’t know, it’s because you don’t *want* to know. It’s been explained to you in this thread alone about 3 times. If you want to put your fingers in your ears and scream LA LA I CAN’T HEAR YOU fine, but don’t pretend this hasn’t already been explained to you in agonising detail. 

Because it's live action and the design. I know, but I still don't understand why the movie HAS to suck. It seems genuinely a good product from what I heard, even though it's early to judge.

The way I would do it, make a classic cartoon to make the fans happy, and make an epic and badass and funny live action movie for the public and everyone who likes Sonic. That's my way and how I see it. So everyone will be happy.

Oh yeah because the film makers and actors would talk bad or harsh about the movie they're making before release lol 

They will always say things like: "it's the best people in the world! The best crew! Best movie I've ever worked on!". 

Were you born yesterday?

Its rare to get any trash talk from people involved in a production pre-release. The only ones that spring to mind for me are Jim Carrey distancing himself from Kick Ass 2 and Josh Trank saying there was a better bersion of Fant4stic a year before release.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Jango said:

Oh yeah because the film makers and actors would talk bad or harsh about the movie they're making before release lol 

They will always say things like: "it's the best people in the world! The best crew! Best movie I've ever worked on!". 

Were you born yesterday?

So now I'm dumb? Because I believe in the crew who talks good about the movie? Seriously, what a lame argument " lmao, you dumb".

Seriously, you were born yesterday, movie and tv crews get into personal fights all the time, they mostly hate each other, they ignore when a production they work on is bad, they can see it. Maybe these folks are just blind? I dunnl. I just think that... you think this isn't your Sonic so the movie automatically sucks.

What I see here is a positive atmosphere, this is why I believe in the cast and crew. We really should have more faith and respect for them.

Btw not all fans are like this, super attached to Sonic, most people I know who play games and like Sonic are excited for the movie, it's not the hardcore fans fault here, don't misunderstand me, but they kind of see everything in black.

27 minutes ago, Demondeano18 said:

I remember the talk about Jim Carrey distancing himself from Kick Ass 2, other than Jim mentioning Sonic at the globe awards has he spoke about his involvment with sonic anywhere else?

The thing about Jim Carrey is that he hates doing sequels..so if there's ever a sequel to this movie, we already know he won't be playing Eggman.

@Jack the Shadow Now c'mon man, you're saying this, not me. I'm implying you're naive at best. It's just a fairly common behavior of movie makers and actors only speak up about production after the release, if ever. It's just how things are, you can't go out in social media bashing the movie or the company that's paying you. The crew may look excited about the movie by taking pictures and using cute hashtags, but in reality they're even paid to do such things... You can only believe so much it's genuine.

My biggest hope for the movie good or bad success or failure is that nobody gets inspired to get a pet hedgehog because of it.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

So, if there is going to be merchandise for the movie, do you think Funko will make toy versions of the characters?

I could see something like a tie-in Sonic and Eggman pop.

But trying to sell people on a "Tom the Cop" funko is probably going to be a really hard sell.

• Absolutely 1

At this point it's almost inevitable that Sega isn't doing a whole lot with this movie because it's so far removed from what any of the established fanbase knows Sonic to be. Like, even putting the design aside, can you really, really, REALLY imagine any kids seeing something like Sonic Generations on Steam and being distressed when they discover that things like Tom the Cop, Crazy Carl and whatever other human character besides Eggman is nowhere to be found? I sure can't!

And if you can, well, that in and of itself is also a problem because it goes back to the point of this being so different from the source material, that people jumping from this to the source material is going to cause a lot of whiplash.

...Not really? Transformers movies was hugely successful and widely different from the subsequent certoons that succeeded it and no kid was confused or had "whiplash" because Sam Witwiki and Mikaela weren't in those shows. 

Ditto for Marvel's Spider-Man and Homecoming using completely different characters. 

Kids are not stupid. They know the difference between movie Sonic and game Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2
  • Way Past Cool 1

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

...Not really? Transformers movies was hugely successful and widely different from the subsequent certoons that succeeded it and no kid was confused or had "whiplash" because Sam Witwiki and Mikaela weren't in those shows. 

Ditto for Marvel's Spider-Man and Homecoming using completely different characters. 

Kids are not stupid. They know the difference between movie Sonic and game Sonic. 

To be fair, it's a different case. IF this Sonic is really different it's gonna confuse viewers and kids. But still, kids will know that it's a different Sonic at least because of the design.

2025 and a thread wanting Tom in the games is sandwiched between a thread wanting the Archie cast in and one wanting the IDW cast in.

• Chuckle 5

I think casting Jim Carrey as Robotnik was  a mistake. 

Sure I think he has the talent to bring these types of characters to life.

However, he does not do sequels.

That Reminds me...

IF THERE ARE ANY POLITICAL MESSAGES OR JOKES REGARDING THE CURRENT STATE OF AMERICAN POLITICS, I WILL RIOT!

Patrick Casey does not like Trump apparently.

The same can be said for Jim Carrey...

2 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

At this point it's almost inevitable that Sega isn't doing a whole lot with this movie because it's so far removed from what any of the established fanbase knows Sonic to be. Like, even putting the design aside, can you really, really, REALLY imagine any kids seeing something like Sonic Generations on Steam and being distressed when they discover that things like Tom the Cop, Crazy Carl and whatever other human character besides Eggman is nowhere to be found? I sure can't!

And if you can, well, that in and of itself is also a problem because it goes back to the point of this being so different from the source material, that people jumping from this to the source material is going to cause a lot of whiplash.

2 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

1 hour ago, Jack the Shadow said:

To be fair, it's a different case. IF this Sonic is really different it's gonna confuse viewers and kids. But still, kids will know that it's a different Sonic at least because of the design.

For what this is worth, back in the day my brother and I were both very eager to see DIC characters in the games; we never considered that they might not be canon, and my brother who is less in the loop might still not know--during our first time playing Sonic Adventure, he referred to Sonic as one of the Freedom Fighters.  Of course, we weren't distraught by the DIC characters' absence in games, and this was before extra characters would become controversial due to different gameplay; an issue that probably would have affected some of the DIC characters if they immigrated into the game canon.  In an alternate reality, Rotor may have replaced Big as the character people disliked for being slow and boring.

However, I think the overall point is that whether people want a character from one canon to appear in another is largely due to how much they like that character. Who knows; Tom might end up really likable...but to children, I doubt it.

3 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

I hope it is political just so we can read about MrPolynomialX being arrested for kicking over a magazine stand.

I'd accept a political message in this film so long as it was limited to environmentalism, was well-researched, and fair.  How well that will fit their plans, though, I don't know.  But it fits with Sonic; on the other hand I don't want to see him commenting on trannsexuality or Michael Weinstein.

2 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Not really the same thing. Transformers' humans are incredibly interchangeable and Spider-Man's cast, sans the designs every now and then doesn't really every change. Peter Parker is always gonna be recognizable as Peter Parker. Mary Jane Watson will always be recognizable as Mary Jane Watson.

This is throwing Sonic into an entirely different universe. No Tails. No Shadow. No Knuckles. No Angel Island. No Amy Rose. No Metal Sonic.

What if they do a political message about tolerance? Go the X-Men route and have humans hate Sonic solely because he's different, drawing parallels to racism and homophobia. Human beings are racist against Sonic.

Would that be too much?

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Would that be too much?

You seriously have to ask this?

• Chuckle 3

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

What if they do a political message about tolerance? Go the X-Men route and have humans hate Sonic solely because he's different, drawing parallels to racism and homophobia 

It's already acknowledged. We're in the process of trying to change that.

Such a message is redundant when it's already been said multiple times.

• Thumbs Up 1

What I sure want to see for my movie that Jim Carrey is headlining is for the entire thing to be a racism allegory.

• Chuckle 4

IF there is going to be some kind of political message or statement I'd at least want it to be handled maturely, intelligently, and subtley. And given the writer's resume...I'm not hopeful that it would be either of those things.

29 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

You seriously have to ask this?

Well, it depends on the execution. My original idea was for Mobians to be transported to Earth and then treated like Second-class citizens. Robotnik is the oppressor in various adaptions. The term "Freedom Figher" takes on a much deeper meaning 

And Zootopia did it perfectly. That movie's message was about tolerance and they communicated it in a way that didn't come off forced/ham-fisted. 

It's just an idea since we're talking about political messages