Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

It'll either be late 2015, or early 2016 and be part of Sonic's 25th Anniversary celebrations.

The tenth anniversary of Sonic 06....

....oh good lord. It'll be a repeat of Sonic's 15th anniversary. :/

Just thought I'd put it out there, the producer was behind 22 Jump Street which received critical acclaim...soooo...we might get lucky. Don't get your hopes up though.

• Thumbs Up 1

The tenth anniversary of Sonic 06....

....oh good lord. It'll be a repeat of Sonic's 15th anniversary. :/

Just thought I'd put it out there, the producer was behind 22 Jump Street which received critical acclaim...soooo...we might get lucky. Don't get your hopes up though.

While the producer usually has quite a bit of input, at the end of the day, a movie is still the sum of its parts. I like to think SEGA will probably have much more control over what goes into the film, regardless of what Hollywood big-wig is in charge. Doesn't mean I automatically believe the movie'll be good, mind (SEGA is very funny with this franchise at times), but with SEGA constantly needing to control every facet of Sonic's image, it hopefully means they'll exercise some veto power on the film.

Though, even if SEGA approves it, doesn't mean you can't lay some blame on the producer for any questionable creative decisions.

. WFRR was an original movie. Here, they are taking an already made character from an already made up world and taking it to "our world" (presumably).

Actually, WFRR was based on the book Who Censored Roger Rabbit by Gary Wolf.  It's one of the few instances I've seen where the movie's plot actually made more sense than the book's.  (Although that was a heck of a twist in the book's conclusion.)  Even in the book though it was a situation of toons - who were distinctly different from other Earth-type creatures  in appearance and behavior - living with humans and 'normal' animals.

Also wasn't Roger Rabbit traditionally animated as apposed to CGI, that's another facet of the argument as the old hand drawn style of animation seems to gel better when it comes to hybrid movies. For me personally I can fondly remember far more traditional animated hybrid movies than CGI hybrids, the ratings and reviews seem to echo that too even if the box office intake from them shows them to be money makers.

The traditional animation seems to stem the suspension of disbelief a lot easier too when they aren't trying to make a clearly toon type character real. Would RR have been as well recieved if he was CGI and looked more like a real rabbit in his features and design?

The execution is just handled poorly when it comes to modern hybrid movies and is generally done with a lackluster plot and terrible portrayal of the licensed characters just to have an excuse to bring them into the "real" world and interact with people who are supposed to be some kind of anchor for the audience, an audience who actually aren't thick and don't need an anchor or relatable human character to get into a movie. If the plot calls for it or the original had it then sure, go ahead, but don't do it just for the sake of having an live action actor in your movie. People don't go to movies about huge fighting transforming robots to watch human drama which the TV series had very little of even at the worst of times, they don't go to a movie about small blue creatures and an evil wizard in a fantasy land that they have grown up with on TV to see them put in "real world" situations via horrible plot devices. The people that see these movies in my opinion want to relate to the characters themselves, the ones in the title of the movie, they don't need some human elements to walk in the door, they threw out realism the minute they decided to see a movie about talking hedgehogs. That or they are taking their kids...your not going to draw in a more realism loving crowd just by having more human actors or environs in the movie...ugh anyway I've ranted way too long. Just wanted to back up what others were getting at while venting my own frustrations in general with these decisions the movie giants make.

/rant

• Thumbs Up 1

Also wasn't Roger Rabbit traditionally animated as apposed to CGI, that's another facet of the argument as the old hand drawn style of animation seems to gel better when it comes to hybrid movies. For me personally I can fondly remember far more traditional animated hybrid movies than CGI hybrids, the ratings and reviews seem to echo that too even if the box office intake from them shows them to be money makers.

The traditional animation seems to stem the suspension of disbelief a lot easier too when they aren't trying to make a clearly toon type character real. Would RR have been as well recieved if he was CGI and looked more like a real rabbit in his features and design?

Disney actually attempted to make a WFRR sequel that would had used CG characters, but due to a variety of reasons it never got off the ground. One of the reasons given for it's troubles was that they had trouble converting the traditionally animated characters to CG. Nonetheless, there is a brief clip of test footage directed by Eric Goldberg in 1998 of a CG Roger Rabbit. Check it out below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsMPd2ceiFA

I think it actually looks pretty good. He looks faithful to his 2D designs (no "realistic" deceptions here), and the CG animation (which had been carefully posed to match a earlier 2D animation, and for 1998 looks very well done) looks more lively than other CG characters and is handled pretty well in terms of making it blend with the live-action footage. But at the risk of sounding like a 2D/traditional animation elitist, I feel having Roger in CG kinda defeats the purpose of the character because he's a traditionally-animated toon. If Roger and other traditionally-animated characters returned for a hypothetical (spiritual) successor / sequel to Who Filmed Roger Rabbit, I'd rather they still be traditionally animated.

With that said, I think it would be really interesting to have a a WFRR sequel / spiritual successor that explored how CG characters are treated (especially in comparison to traditionally animated characters-and if possible characters animated in other methods), along with probably a lead CG toon character that wasn't Roger. It would especially be nice if the CG characters, like the above CG Roger test footage (or alternatively, like in the film adaptation of The Mask), were animated in a cartoony and stylistic manner.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't like using roger rabbit as an example mainly because it was an original IP with Warner bros and Disney characters as cameos. The only good live action/animated movie based off a famous property is Space Jam.

...Sonic 06, having Elise and all...you don't think they might be trying to revive it with a film...?

Ahem.

I think honestly SEGA is taking a good approach by taking sonic to the animated world again (even with LA), but I think it'd be more suitable...as a cartoon. They're great storytellers most of the time! But I don't know how they're going to hold up for a whole movie length...

It'll either be late 2015, or early 2016 and be part of Sonic's 25th Anniversary celebrations.

I think 2016's a safe bet, given the trend with the Sony films that have been confirmed lately.

One ponders if SEGA really cares about symbolic things like that, and I think they do. I was told, for example, that SEGA greatly appreciates announcing Summer of Sonic and Sonic Boom together even though there's really no need to.

The film doesn't need to be a 2016 project, but it would be a beautiful year to release it in. So they would likely still aim for it (brace yourselves for a surprise delay somewhere, though!). I think they value the symbolic things, especially given 25 years is the last big anniversary number prior to 50 (except jubilees but those are normally for people, who are more likely to reach a 40th anniversary than a 50th).

Now, all that being said, the other confirmed films with two years' notice had their trailers ready. So unless we get something pertaining to the film later this year... who the heck knows what's going on with it.

I don't like using roger rabbit as an example mainly because it was an original IP with Warner bros and Disney characters as cameos.

As previously explained by Thrippa, Who Framed Roger Rabbit is actually based off of the book Who Censored Roger Rabbit by Gary Wolf.

I don't like using roger rabbit as an example mainly because it was an original IP with Warner bros and Disney characters as cameos. The only good live action/animated movie based off a famous property is Space Jam.

Actually, "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" was a film adaptation of the novel "Who Censored Roger Rabbit?" .

Also from memory there's still a concept floating around at Disney to make a toon version of "The Stooge" staring Mickey Mouse and Roger Rabbit. It was being planned as a prequel to the original Roger Rabbit movie, with cameos from other toon characters again. It seems to have fallen to the wayside tho and there's been no news on it in ages. A pity, perhaps if it was released by now and did really well studios may decide to do more traditional animation hybrids and we wouldn't be in this mess :(

I just remembered something.

When Robodog was announced, didn't they announced that Marza aimed to make a feature film every year?

Roger rabbit worked because it was a movie about real people interacting with cartoons. That was its claim to fame, in both plot and visuals. What are the creators of this train wreck planning on doing, making a whole movie that looks like that progressive commercial? Make some kind of movie about Sonic coming out of the video games? More Sonic X inter dimensional junk? There's no avenue where an animated/live action mix makes any sense.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=898953540131779&set=a.101711179856023.3885.100000514240758&type=1

10300049_898953540131779_186294025871038

I went to Marza animation planet recently announced the film adaptation of Sonic. Making the film Captain harlock, Mario & Sonic and DIVA hatsune miku and PSO2 movie I'm doing something. Film adaptation of Sonic, so came to hear such that and such that. The process for what kind of fun.

Captain Harlock Movie

Mario & Sonic Movie

Hatsune Miku Movie

PSO2 Movie

What's

HAPPENING

I think he means the CG stuff from the game. But I can't wait to see people think a Mario & Sonic movie is coming.

• Thumbs Up 6

Oh, OH.

*phew*

Okay. I feel a bit better.

But Yuji Naka apparently likes what he's seen of the Sonic movie so far? 

• Thumbs Up 1

So he saw some Mario and Sonic CG stuff too? Odd if it's from one of the past games...

That doesn't put me at ease given what Japanese audiences like and what Western audiences like tend to have a very wide gulf between them. sad.png

I've always been sorta hasty in taking anything Naka (or even Oshima) says with complete seriousness about new Sonic stuff (minus them possibly talking closely to Iizuka or something). They love their work and knew pretty well what they were doing, but despite doing what they did they're also surrounded by both their online fans and friends at SEGA / Sonic Team.

That pressure alone makes their stances on things a little less clear, since while they may actually like something that's being done, it's hard to tell if they really do or if they're saying that to not make any bad blood. After all, stating their dis-satisfaction about something like that would step on toes, and I don't think they want that. They're just happy to see things thrive on.

• Thumbs Up 2

That doesn't put me at ease given what Japanese audiences like and what Western audiences like tend to have a very wide gulf between them. sad.png

Yeah, based on what I know about Japanese media, they're not really heavy on anthropomorphic characters, preferring humans or human-like, at the least.

Which explains why, when they do have anthro characters, the females tend to look the most human. Kinda makes Amy, Rouge, Cream, Vanilla, all them, the odd-ball.

The west tends to have no problem with them. We have more anthro characters without a second glance.

• Thumbs Up 3

The faith I have in this movie is minimal. Please don't let it suck!

At this point, I really just want to see a trailer. It's the only possible way to get me optimistic. The concept alone is kind of scary, so I need a proof of concept to put me at ease.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm surprised this hasn't been noted yet...

We have a writer for the Sonic Live Adaptation people! It's a guy named Van Robichaux, and it turns out he is a big Sonic fan. Want proof? Here it is: 

https://twitter.com/VanRobichaux/status/479402435426136064

https://twitter.com/VanRobichaux/status/479393457665212416

You can also check out his whole Twitter if you want to. So yeah, this guy is the writer of the upcoming Sonic Live action film. I guess it gives me a little hope that he's a Sonic fan, but I'm still really worried about the producer. From what I've glanced of him, it looked like he only had one decent movie going for him? I'll have to look later. 

So yeah, it looks like he only has 2 good/decent movies behind his belt, the first one being 'Juice' and another one "Out of Time' 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juice_(film)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_Time_(2003_film)#Reception

Edited by kboyrulez12345
  • Thumbs Up 1

No True Scotsmen aside, anyone can say they're a big Sonic fan but the words alone don't really mean much. And just owning the games alone isn't indicative of an innate understanding of the subject matter so much as showing off that they own a lot of games and quite likely enjoy them, which isn't even remotely the same thing. And I hate that people are already jumping to conclusions based off this when it proves literally nothing either way.

At least he seems eager I guess?

• Thumbs Up 2