Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Also, confirms that Jakks Pacific is Indeed doing merch for the movie.

But he has white fur emulating gloves! That's so clever. And he has th white between the eyes to emulate the cyclone look 

• Thumbs Up 1

I’ll admit, that looks kinda cute. On another note, HOW ON EARTH DID THESE SLIDES MANAGE TO GET OUT?

You know....it could of been a hell of a lot worse. Don't get me wrong this is still bad but for months I was expecting something terrifying like TMNT 2014 or something like that but this isn't the worst thing ever.  I don't know why they even bothered doing this in the first place tho.

• Thumbs Up 2

The design has finally been revealed. And I must say it looks better than originally thought. The eyes are kind of how I imagined they'd do them. The white hands in place of gloves doesn't look to bad either. Of course I think the shoes could still use a buckle.

Just now, Tracker_TD said:

No, just giving him gloves would've been clever. There's nothing 'unrealistic' about gloves. 

Exactly! No reason to not give him gloves. They should had just gave him more realistic gloves if they didn't think the cartoon style gloves worked. Maybe give him biker gloves. Sonic could hurt his hands with all the action stunts he gets into without gloves.

There's something I don't get about redesigns like this.

If you're going to add things that emulate the original design, why did you bother changing that specific thing?

• Thumbs Up 2

You know what? If this is really the design they're going with, I can accept it.

Now all we need is that trailer...

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Also, confirms that Jakks Pacific is Indeed doing merch for the movie.

But he has white fur emulating gloves! That's so clever. And he has th white between the eyes to emulate the cyclone look 

Replacing Sonic with a dude in a mascot costume isn't very smart.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

Well, it doesn't look THAT different from the leaked poster.

Is that a good thing or bad...?

So this design is real? It looked fan-made.

Well, I can't say the design is bad. In fact, it's far worse than that...

It's boring.

It doesn't look interesting, nor eye-catching. It honestly feels like a Smurfs or Alvin and the Chipmunks deal; it's definitely the characters, just... Not appealing, or even interesting. It takes a defining aspect of Sonic and just forgets about it.

Unironically said, I'm not mad, just disappointed.

• Thumbs Up 4

My read is that they 100% backpedalled, toned down the design, and now it just looks goofy - that painted-on belly, for instance.  This particular instance actually looks unbelievably cartoonish, too?  I can't imagine it actually looking like this in the film.  If it does, then they could absolutely have used a more faithful design and it would have stood out no more.

The proportions are absolutely hilarious, though.  At this point they're basically the biggest difference.

• Thumbs Up 2

Having white fur on his hands instead of gloves? Why not go the whole hog and give him red fur feet as well?

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 6

As someone who usually stays neutral about Sonic, i'll say this. It looks like Woody Woodpecker from its own live-action movie. I'm not sure it's a good thing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

Just now, Blue Blood said:

Why does he have nostrils

Because an action movie can't be taken seriously if the characters don't show evidence of realistic respiratory systems.

• Thumbs Up 3

A boring character design is generally a bad character design, though, especially when they're your protagonist

Well, when they're not suppose to be boring anyway.

12 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

No, just giving him gloves would've been clever. There's nothing 'unrealistic' about gloves. 

Well, they probably didn't want to give him gloves because it wouldn't work with the whole "grounded" thing they're going for. 

I guess they could have had a funny scene of Sonic and Tom going in a store and getting some white gloves they resemble the classic look but ehhh.. I'm fine with white fur 

I mean it could have looked a lot worse.  It's not bad... but it isn't good either.  I'm feeling a bit... lukewarm to it.