Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Lmao. I've been a defender of this movie all along but that is fucking hidious lol. What in the f-ing fuck were they thinking?

(obviously I'll still watch it though haha)

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

Well, they probably didn't want to give him gloves because it wouldn't work with the whole "grounded" thing they're going for.

I'm not sure why that would be the case. It's not like people don't wear gloves IRL.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Pawn said:

A boring character design is generally a bad character design, though, especially when they're your protagonist.

Which is why I said it was worse than bad, because something horrifying is far more interesting than something that doesn't even try to stand out.

Sonic Boom tried to do something different with it's designs, and this film doesn't even try to do that. It looks safer than safe, even the official Sonic design looks more interesting.

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

I guess they could have had a funny scene of Sonic and Tom going in a store and getting some white gloves they resemble the classic look but ehhh.. I'm fine with white fur 

NEVER DO THIS. Have you not heard of what happened in DMC when people complained about Dante's hair changing, they made a joke about it in the game and it really pissed people off more.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Celestia said:

Come on folks, it's all for the sake of realism. Gloves are a fictional construct invented by Disney because they didn't want to draw Mickey's hands.

Even though his 1st appearance is without gloves...

But technicalities, mang.

It's not... terrible? Some poses look good, some don't. Either way, it's still uncanny to me. Mostly the proportions.

I do think I can get used to it in time. But it could've been much better.

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean, what would you all have preferred? He doesn't even look hideous. I showed my classmate and she thinks he looks cute. What part of that design is an "abomination"? 

I literally can't. There's no pleasing people. This is the perfect middle ground between something disturbingly realistic and the classic Mickey Mouse design 

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Well, they probably didn't want to give him gloves because it wouldn't work with the whole "grounded" thing they're going for.

I have never once met a single person that said "Naw, fuck these gloves, I'm just gonna paint my hands instead."

• Chuckle 7

Yeah honestly I can't say I hate this, after the silhouette mystery for months this is definitely not the absolute trainwreck it could've been. I think he'll actually look slightly better as a cg model integrated into real-world lighting rather than as these digital sketches.

Would've preferred him sticking closer to the games of course but honestly as far as live-action redesigns go I can plenty work with this.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

This is the perfect middle ground between something disturbingly realistic and the classic Mickey Mouse design 

Literally the opposite of the truth.

Don't judge.

• Thumbs Up 6

I think it looks... ugly and boring lol. Like, they changed it for the sake of changing, and it's not really different. I was expecting something more badass, this is standard I guess, not busy, cartoony as the test footage said.

His face looks like that of a 60 year old and he's still basically a bootleg Sonic mascot suit's head pasted on a furry, naked blue athlete. 

Not as bad as it could've been? Sure whatever, it's still utterly dire. The optimal middle ground? Don't make me laugh. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

Gloves are sooooo 1991.

Dipping your hands in paint... That's what the kids are doing!

• Chuckle 2

You know, the thing that annoys me the most about this rubbish design is the blue arms.

Stop giving Sonic blue arms. It's look fucking awful.

Stick to this:

Image result for satam

On one hand, the face on it's own is probably the best outcome I could see happening, so that's... alright, I guess. No bug eyes, hallelujah!

On the other hand

BCrQHfc.jpg?1

Oh

FeS0gPB.jpg?1

Oh no

Spoiler

Bonus round:

sonic_the_hedgehog__2006_____sonic_s_sto

• Chuckle 1

Side note: looks like they have a pretty good grasp on personality from those guidelines. Mixing modern Sonic with Western 90s "hedgehog with attitude" stuff. Definitely not juvinile delinquent! 

• Promotion 1

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

I mean, what would you all have preferred?

Banner-SonicPosterLeak2.jpg

I didn't mind this one honestly. Maybe he still looks like this in the actual film? The style guide's head looks a lot bigger though, longer "fur spines" too. And shorter legs without the muscles.

Gloves? Give him golf gloves. They don't have to be giant poofy things. 

This design just isn't good. It's not going to make me sick or something, but they could have done a lot better (and looks like they did at one point).

• Thumbs Up 4

If THIS somehow gets a pass purely because it wasn't the horrific abomination it could've been, then I would've preferred that maybe they didn't take whatever direction where that's the bar of quality.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Celestia said:

And they got tired of drawing his hands! See, it all makes sense.

Hmmmmmm...his normal design because even if they bizarrely felt the need to insist on this being live action, I'm still not convinced it wouldn't have worked just fine. It's not like the design they went with is particularly grounded in reality anyway because nothing they could come up with would be BECAUSE HE'S A CARTOON CHARACTER.

He's not suppose to be a cartoon in this movie. He's an alien/extraterrestrial not from our world. Why would he look like he came out of the TV set of a video game? Look at this movie from the logic of what Sonic is in the story. He's not "coming into our world" from a video game. The game design would make no biological sense and stand out like he doesn't belong.

This was inevitable. I've been predicting this for 5 years now