Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

You got to love how the proportions is still completely off and looks like you slapped Sonic's head on a man's body.

• Thumbs Up 1

It could be better , but it could have been a whole lot worse. It could grow on me.

Maybe.

3 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Just explain to us all what is so edgy about dipping your hands in white paint instead of wearing gloves?

For the same reason why Captain America has a wing decal on his helmet instead of literal pointed wings like he does in the old comics. The same reason why Thor is not wearing bell bottom yellow boots. The same reason why Batman and Superman no longer wear trunks. It's about translating the design to live action in a way that updates it but pays homage 

1 minute ago, CaptainRobo said:

One of the renders seen on one of these leaked pictures remind me of this.:

7df17275ad8d5afef0103b972d3495c64dc4a8ac_hq.jpg

All of the art is just bastardised versions of pre-existing Sonic art. In particular

- Sonic's 06 render

- Sonic's Smash 4 render

- Mighty's Mania art (?!?)

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

It's not about him lookin like an animal on Earth. Sonic as presented in this movie looks nothing like any animal known on Earth. But there's a reason why ET did not look like a cartoon plastered into the real world. We're talking about the difference between a creature that is believably real and something that looks like it belongs in another plane of existence where everything is animated 

Thats a bad way of looking at the universe. Not everything in the universe looks real. There are photo's of phenomena that many people look at and think "Oh, thats edited" and then find out its not. We humans are so small minded that we think we are the pinacle of evolution, nothing could be above us. We conquered out planet, anything that is successful elsewhere must look like us or I don't believe it is real. Its a pitfall most sci fi falls into that every alien normally looks human and this seems to be going the same way.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm glad Sonic is emulating the creative and inspired realm the last 20 years of mainstream superhero movies. Now I know I'm in for something fresh and exciting

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

For the same reason why Captain America has a wing decal on his helmet instead of literal pointed wings like he does in the old comics. The same reason why Thor is not wearing bell bottom yellow boots. The same reason why Batman and Superman no longer wear trunks. It's about translating the design to live action in a way that updates it but pays homage 

You're arguing human beings wearing ridiculous pieces of clothing to a walking talking hedgehog with red trainers. How is this an accurate comparsion whatsoever? I think if anyone was going to find something to complain about Sonic's design and realism, it'd probably be the - again - walking, talking hedgehog, and not the fact that he wears gloves.

Or are gloves unrealistic too?

• Thumbs Up 9

9 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

But there's live-action movies with extremely cartoony CGI characters already??? There's no reason you couldn't just... drop a tweaked Modern design in the real world and call him a weird alien experiment or something

Live action movies that are aimed at small children and are completely self-aware. Roger Rabbit is nothing like what this movie will be 

This movie is coming out after a slew of Marvel movies that got the designs and how they could and should work down. Even if you consider that, after it went to Paramount, things were likely only finalized not THAT long ago, there's absolutely no reason for this movie to be so far beyond they struggle with the very basics of translating a character's design.

• Thumbs Up 2

Great update, they made him look like a Chinese knock-off plastic figurine. It's genius marketing. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Only just realised he’s mimicking some of the CG Sonic poses and it does not look good. It’s not horrible, but it’s still a bad design lol. Can’t imagine what Tails and the others would look like so I’m quite glad they don’t seem to be in this! =D 

You just defended a character dipping their hands into paint to make it look like they're wearing gloves...

You just did that.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

You're arguing human beings wearing ridiculous pieces of clothing to a walking talking hedgehog with red trainers. How is this an accurate comparsion whatsoever? I think if anyone was going to find something to complain about Sonic's design and realism, it'd probably be the - again - walking, talking hedgehog, and not the fact that he wears gloves.

Or are gloves unrealistic too?

I'm just trying to look at this from the filmmaker's perspective. Trying to understand and make sense of what they did. You can compare Sonic to Howard the Duck in the MCU who also got a realistic facelift. He's now wearing pants and no longer looks like Donald Duck but like a duck-like alien. 

5 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

All of the art is just bastardised versions of pre-existing Sonic art. In particular

- Sonic's 06 render

- Sonic's Smash 4 render

- Mighty's Mania art (?!?)

I think the last one is the Generations render:

p8leYSf.png

Arms are different, but the legs are a match.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

You just defended a character dipping their hands into paint to make it look like they're wearing gloves...

You just did that.

He didn't dip his hands. That's likely the natural color of his hand fur. Wherever Sonic comes from, all of his people have it. 

That's like saying a black, brown and white Cat dipped himself in white to get that color. It's his natural coat that is the result of genetics 

He looks...bad but like nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. I hate the white hands and the fact he has a patch of white fur between his eyes to give the feeling of the unieye...and yet it's not like Michael Bay TMNT level horrific. It's just a questionable redesign and I think I can deal with that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest I do kind of understand the logic of wanting Sonic to be more realistic in this kind of movie. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to it either. I'd be open to a unique take on Sonic, similar to how I can appreciate what the Mario movie went for.

But this just looks bad and unappealing.