Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

If you think that whatever the hell is sitting above us is going to be more marketable to a mass audience than this guy:

latest?cb=20170727110332

Then I don't know what to tell you. I see no possible reality where someone can look at these designs side by side and say "yeah, that movie design is miles better!" 

Successfully translate that design to live action, use collected marketing data and then you'll have a legitimate case to sell your shareholders on the movie.

I can't really sooth anybody's feelings right now because I can completely understand why fans would hate what they're seeing right now. But I can understand why the Studio went this route myself. 

4 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

I'm FUMING.

THEY ALREADY HAD SONIC LOOKIN' SHOES AND THEY WERE NIKE SHOES

YOU HAD

ONE

JOB

Yea, that's definitely the route they should have gone with the shoes. But he can always change midway to something more recognizable 

8 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

On another note. Not only on this movie design.... but I've seen the same mistake done on some fan art over the years... Did they not realize the skin color muzzle and chest on Sonic are not suppose to be fur? Those areas on Sonic is made to emulate how on certain animals they have far less fur on their underside and muzzle. AKA it is meant to be SKIN.

Sonic 06 concept art shows that at least the belly is fur:

2128817-ozkurt_sonic.jpg

And, honestly, if his body is furry like it is in the movie, it'd look really bad if the belly was suddenly skin.

Spoiler

Yes, I know it already looks bad, but it'd look worse!

• Absolutely 1

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

Successfully translate that design to live action, use collected marketing data and then you'll have a legitimate case to sell your shareholders on the movie. 

What collected data is there that a design that everyone is universally mocking and expressing displeasure for is somehow a better alternative?

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

But he can always change midway to something more recognizable 

Do you really think this

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

Just now, PeterPancake said:

I can't really sooth anybody's feelings right now because I can completely understand why fans would hate what they're seeing right now. But I can understand why the Studio went this route myself. 

Except it isn't successfully translated. It looks creepy. The proportions are all out of wack, the colouring is completely off, there's stupid product placement in the redesign of an iconic gaming character. Instead of looking like a charming, simple, unique character, it looks like a complete busy mess. If your first reaction to this design is "eggggh this is creepy" and then needing to justify a reason to call it appealing, it shows it is a failure on every single front.

And you know what? I don't think I would be very far off to call this as uncanny as the one major comparison constantly brought up in this topic:

250?cb=20140727195630

Right down to the fact that there's a common complaint about the nose with these designs. You don't hear many people saying "oh wow, those Michael Bay Turtle designs were so appealing, especially compared to the originals' simplicity!".

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Marcello said:

Sonic 06 concept art shows that at last the belly is fur:

A concept they didn't use in the end doesn't prove anything. It's not as if SEGA never gets anything wrong either... However that model is likely unfinished and they just didn't bother fixing the chest texture.

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

This is a condescending comment in the veins of "Why don't YOU do it, then?"

The answer is, we can't, we're not the ones making the movie. However, we'll be the ones paying to see it, and the crew need a return on their budget, so they have to literally sell us on the design. They haven't.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

What collected data is there that a design that everyone is universally mocking and expressing displeasure for is somehow a better alternative?

I'm talking about the design he posted. The Japanese art for Sonic 3.

And we don't know the GENERAL audience will react to this design. The people mocking and making fun of it are all still going to see this movie . 

4 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Do you really think this

...Yes? We haven't seen the movie. We don't know what Sonic does to get these shoes. But there's easily an opportunity for him to have something closer fo his traditional footwear by the end. It's the classic superhero origin story. The hero initially starts off with a proto-version of their iconic design. If not this movie, they can make some changes in the next 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, PeterPancake said:

...Yes? We haven't seen the movie. We don't know what Sonic does to get these shoes. But there's easily an opportunity for him to have something closer fo his traditional footwear by the end. It's the classic superhero origin story. The hero initially starts off with a proto-version of their iconic design. If not this movie, they can make some changes in the next 

If I cross my fingers hard enough and shut my eyes tight enough everything I want will happen, surely. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

And you know what? I don't think I would be very far off to call this as uncanny as the one major comparison constantly brought up in this topic:

250?cb=20140727195630

Yeah no.  That design made me literally almost puke no lie when I first saw it.  At least this one is bearable to look at, and doesn't look like it belong is a B-Class horror movie put out in early January trying to get a few bucks so they didn't waste their budget

Welp, it looks terrible just like I suspected. Might well just amplify the shit Storm by dropping the trailer.

• Thumbs Up 2

If they were going to have Sonic change his "costume", then why start him off with red shoes in the first place? Wouldn't it be more dramatic for him to, say, go from barefoot to his signature shoes, than from one pair of red shoes to a slightly more accurate pair?

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

However, we'll be the ones paying to see it

Pfft, who said anything about PAYING to see this shit? I’m either gonna buy tickets to a movie worth spending hard earned cash on and walking into the Sonic theater orrrr watching it on 123movies.com 

8 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

The people mocking and making fun of it are all still going to see this movie . 

I dunno what planet you're from where the internet gives a thing a fair shake instead of roasting wildly without abandon and leaving when it gets boring

especially a Sonic thing

Maybe it's the same planet movie sonic is from. Do you know his workout routine? His leg game is on point

• Chuckle 5

I can't wait for this movie to come out, and get bad reviews from just about everyone.

And this guy will still be saying "just wait and see, once society has collapsed and everything but this movie is lost to time, it'll be regarded as a priceless relic of a bygone age which only the richest of the bombed-out hellhole that is America will be able to scrounge up the money to gain a ten-minute look at. Finally this franchise gets the treatment it deserves".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

Every time that picture pops up, I'm scrolling down and I see the face and think, "Y'know, maybe it's not so bad!", then I scroll further and see the body.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

And we don't know the GENERAL audience will react to this design. The people mocking and making fun of it are all still going to see this movie . 

In what universe has anyone ever said, "This looks absolutely awful and hideous. Yeah, I'll give it a chance!"

• Thumbs Up 3

10 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

And we don't know the GENERAL audience will react to this design.

The only people I can see reacting well to this are young children who will pay for anything with Sonic's name on it. Other norm... non-fans, we'll say, will almost certainly laugh at this. I don't care what the logic was on the business end of things, this looks super dumb. At best they'll pay to see it ironically.

It'll probably bomb and have a 23% RT score. Sonic nowadays is far more niche than it used to be. This won't be getting Detective Pikachu numbers, that's for sure.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

If they were going to have Sonic change his "costume", then why start him off with red shoes in the first place? Wouldn't it be more dramatic for him to, say, go from barefoot to his signature shoes, than from one pair of red shoes to a slightly more accurate pair?

Look, man, I don't know. Yes, yes it would. But they didn't go that route and the best thing to do now is to hope for the best. I'm kinda getting ganged up on here. Don't take your anger on me, guys. I'm just the messenger 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, I'm watching this with friends. We're all gonna have a good laugh at this. 

If you don't remember...

Kate used to be one of the Sonic Social Media managers.

• Promotion 1
  • My Emmerdoods 2

9 minutes ago, Chika Takami said:

Pfft, who said anything about PAYING to see this shit? I’m either gonna buy tickets to a movie worth spending hard earned cash on and walking into the Sonic theater orrrr watching it on 123movies.com 

I concur, and will willingly pirate this movie so that I don't give a cent to this thing. I'm just sorry to the poor sucker that has to buy a ticket to get this to us.

Please note that I do not endorse piracy. It is a terrible thing, I just do not wish to reward the crew with my hard-earned cash for making something that does not respect my childhood hero.

• Thumbs Up 3

Look, man, I don't know. Yes, yes it would. But they didn't go that route and the best thing to do now is to hope for the best. I'm kinda getting ganged up on here. Don't take your anger on me, guys. I'm just the messenger 

...of what? The fact you don’t even have answers for what you’re defending makes me wonder why you feel this need in the first place to make unlikely hypotheticals 

Anyway, also for fun I made this 

0A0D179F-3F93-4551-85C5-90F5FA01F9D8.jpeg