Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

By his list of merely Genesis titles, he probably won't have THAT much of an understanding of the subject. The world has changed pretty heavily since then. For better and for worse.

Back then, it was pretty easy to believe that there were no other humans than Eggman in the world.

• Thumbs Up 1

And also, being a fan or not is really non-indicative of one's actual writing ability. Tiny Soma was a much more hardcore Sonic fan than Big Soma, but Tiny Soma was also a terrible, terrible writer.

Or, to put it in a Marvel Comics sense, Bryan Singer = not an X-Men fan, while Joe Quesada = a big Spider-Man fan.

• Thumbs Up 3

Out of curiously how well were the smurfs movie? Both critically and financially I just find it weird that Sony's doing a live action movie of sonic since their next smurfs movie is going to be all CGI and on top of that both sly cooper and ratchet and clank films are going to be CGI(unless those movies aren't being made by Sony at all)

Ummm... how do we know that's him? Having a Charmy picture on Twitter doesn't really scream "professional".

• Thumbs Up 3

Out of curiously how well were the smurfs movie? Both critically and financially I just find it weird that Sony's doing a live action movie of sonic since their next smurfs movie is going to be all CGI and on top of that both sly cooper and ratchet and clank films are going to be CGI(unless those movies aren't being made by Sony at all)

It's more than likely SEGA didn't want to spend a crapload of cash on the movie after spending a crapload of cash on Boom.

Not in the Biz but I imagine live action is cheaper than CGI. Probably why so many films over cartoon chraracters tend to be live action.

Ummm... how do we know that's him? Having a Charmy picture on Twitter doesn't really scream "professional".

I was originally going to make Big my avatar, but he couldn't fit in the tiny box...

• Thumbs Up 6

Van, your missing Sonic Triple Trouble on the Gamegear from your collection. How else will you write Nack the Weasel into this movie! Let's see a bad anthro under Eggmans employ, and not just Metal Sonic :P

(Can't blame me for trying haha, no one else seems to wanna write Nack into anything outside the comics)

Let's see a bad anthro under Eggmans employ, and not just Metal Sonic tongue.png

Would love to see this happen in the games, really. It's the reason why I adore the comic's Dark Egg Legion/Egg Army so much. It's nice to see Eggman's influence be stronger than just "curses! foiled again!"

Bad guys need to be strong, capable, or able to achieve their goal. There's really no point in a bad guy otherwise.

(Can't blame me for trying haha, no one else seems to wanna write Nack into anything outside the comics)

Well, at least there he gets treated very well. He's quite amusing to read.

Yeah, unless the Verified Account thing is visible... treat any Twitter account you find with a grain of salt.

Well, at least there he gets treated very well. He's quite amusing to read.

Totally, I love the way Nack is written in the comics, his grouping with Bean and Bark is comedy gold, but not only that, they actually work pretty well together and as you say get stuff done.

I would rather they wrote a "classic" type movie for the first one, not just because of personal preference either. I know Sega probably won't let them use Classic Sonic in design, but if your gunna start a movie series or do a "first" movie, then shouldn't the origins be the focus. Eggman's rise, their first meeting, Sonic meeting Tails etc. A Death Egg Saga type deal covering Sonic 1 through Sonic 3K. It was Eggman's most threatening device ever after all.

I would rather they wrote a "classic" type movie for the first one, not just because of personal preference either. I know Sega probably won't let them use Classic Sonic in design, but if your gunna start a movie series or do a "first" movie, then shouldn't the origins be the focus. Eggman's rise, their first meeting, Sonic meeting Tails etc. A Death Egg Saga type deal covering Sonic 1 through Sonic 3K. It was Eggman's most threatening device ever after all.

In a sense of chronological order, I can agree, though, myself, not that crazy about classic stuff.

Still, seeing as this is gonna be partially live action nonsense, I think that's already thrown out the window.

I was originally going to make Big my avatar, but he couldn't fit in the tiny box...

Hasn't stopped me before. *serious dramatic music cue*

But yes - welcome to SSMB. I have a question to ask, though:

... do you know why this is going to be a cross between live-action and CG? Seems like a risky choice, considering the poor quality of similar film concepts. Garfield, Smurfs and Alvin and the Chipmunks come to mind.

Also, your last name almost looks like "Robotnik." IS THIS A COINCIDENCE?!  *even more dramatic cue*

• Thumbs Up 1

Were those movies considered successful, Indigo? The Smurfs grossed around half a billion Dollars globally, the Chipmunks films hit $75m (if not more) and I know the Garfield film probably did similarly well. Are the filmmakers hoping to make Sonic into something that aspires to hit the half billion mark?

Were those movies considered successful, Indigo? The Smurfs grossed around half a billion Dollars globally, the Chipmunks films hit $75m (if not more) and I know the Garfield film probably did similarly well. Are the filmmakers hoping to make Sonic into something that aspires to hit the half billion mark?

That's why I made the distinction between success and quality. You can have a fiscally successful product, but it can still be of poor quality. Those same movies you mentioned never pass the 5/10 star rating on IMDB, and Rotten Tomatoes is even less kind to them. 

And really, you don't need a review site to know that they were not good movies.

So I think our concern for this decision for the Sonic film is justified.

That's why I made the distinction between success and quality. You can have a fiscally successful product, but it can still be of poor quality. Those same movies you mentioned never pass the 5/10 star rating on IMDB, and Rotten Tomatoes is even less kind to them. 

And really, you don't need a review site to know that they were not good movies.

So I think our concern for this decision for the Sonic film is justified.

Indeed, I agree that it's justified, I was just trying to ascertain whether this project was to be a labor of love or a cashing-in on the financial success of those other badly resurrected properties. It is, obviously, the latter.

It's a shame really, as Sonic clearly holds a great deal of potential to make a great film, but then decisions like the one to go live action are made and all that potential goes unused.

... do you know why this is going to be a cross between live-action and CG? Seems like a risky choice, considering the poor quality of similar film concepts. Garfield, Smurfs and Alvin and the Chipmunks come to mind.

Also, your last name almost looks like "Robotnik." IS THIS A COINCIDENCE?!  *even more dramatic cue*

I completely understand the hesitation that many of the fans have had about the live action component. It's a technique that has had mixed success in the past. I think the movie will speak for itself and prove these concerns wrong. We aren't making Smurfs with Sonic. We're making Sonic the Hedgehog. I'm so excited about the movie as both a fan and as a writer who loves to tell awesome stories.

As to my connection with Dr. Robotnik, no comment...

• Thumbs Up 3

What writing credits do you actually have? only IMDB has these listed for you.

Seth Rogen = Worst Person in the World (Video short)

Never Before Seen Phone Commercial (Short)

What's Going On? with Mike Mitchell (TV Series) (creator - 2011)

And that's it... other than this rumour about a live action version of The Jestons...

What writing credits do you actually have? only IMDB has these listed for you.

Seth Rogen = Worst Person in the World (Video short)

Never Before Seen Phone Commercial (Short)

What's Going On? with Mike Mitchell (TV Series) (creator - 2011)

And that's it... other than this rumour about a live action version of The Jestons...

I'm working on lots of stuff that's not in production yet. A comedy at New Line called Fist Fight, a music bio-pic starring Jack Black, and a bunch of other stuff. I'm probably best known in Hollywood for a script I wrote called Chewie about the making of Star Wars. That one has been a bear to get going (lots of complex rights issues).  

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/12/12/chewie-screenplay-black-list/

So basically, this will more or less be your 2nd/3rd project?

Edit: Wait, do you have any finished projects that anyone could go watch/look at?

Soooooo was that Mario and Sonic movie fake or nahhh?

I would assume yes given Nintendo and SEGA decided a fair number of years ago to limit crossovers to Mario and Sonic and Smash.

Perhaps that's changed, but at the same time, I think Nintendo's a LOT more cautious about movie adaptions. That would explain why Sony hasn't revealed anything for the Nintendo brand yet. Nintendo has the world's most popular video game franchises under its belt, and it's weird for Sony's cinema empire to not include them.

Soooooo was that Mario and Sonic movie fake or nahhh?

Pretty sure they were just referencing the CGI cutscenes Marza did for the games.

Perhaps that's changed, but at the same time, I think Nintendo's a LOT more cautious about movie adaptions. That would explain why Sony hasn't revealed anything for the Nintendo brand yet. Nintendo has the world's most popular video game franchises under its belt, and it's weird for Sony's cinema empire to not include them.

The Super Mario Bros. movie is the only (Nintendo-sanctioned/official) film adaptation of a Nintendo IP for good reason.