Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

3 minutes ago, DiamondX said:

>"Chill  & lickable"

excuse me what

*Insert Sonic ice cream bar here*

• Way Past Cool 4

I guess i'll quote the OVA, but remove the question at the end.

Spoiler

STRANGE!

The first image i saw (the one from the style guide) I thought "Ehh, It can work, it's not that bad, it reminds me of '06, it can work" , then I saw this render and I'm like "Excuse me how even?!?"

4 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

It actually says likable.  The image on the TSSZ website says that.

And yet I wouldn't be surprised if "lickable" is what they wanted to say.

Let's put this into contextualization:

Even Ken Penders, the man behind such abominations as The Lara-Su Chronicles, wants nothing to do with this design. This is surely uniting even the unexpected.

• Thumbs Up 7

2 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Even Ken Penders, the man behind such abominations as The Lara-Su Chronicles, wants nothing to do with this design. This is surely uniting even the unexpected.

No even Ken is smarter, sure he is a bane and a pox on the franchise but he is still a smart guy.... terrible writer and artist but still smart.

Hmm... something else I just thought of.

Sonic normal model has elongated arms, and cartoonishly large hands, enabling him a greater range of motion. This movie render scales that waaaaay back and gives him a pair of limbs more proportional to his body size.

Thats going to seriously hinder Sonic's ability to do much of anything with his upper body.

Look at him. He can barely reach over his head. He won't really be able to carry anything of real size and even basic things like hanging from ledges or spinning around horizontal bars really becomes an animation challenge. Sonic's usual model let him do things like carry humans around if he had too. This thing won't be able to do that.

• Thumbs Up 2

The "leaked render" may be an early design because the shoes are different. No Nike logo and the they don't have the white trims/soles PicsArt_03-04-09_53_31.thumb.jpg.bbe836e81178eaaa89e2b5c5a5a285e9.jpg

Also the face is a Hi-res version of some fanart oddly enough. 

The promo art is still the closest look 

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, so I was trying to skip from wherever this thread was last time I was here, but there are so many pages that I just starting skipping every five from 275 and got to 295 when I noticed that has posts from today.

What has happened with this since mid January?

You know what the worst part is to me?  This attempt at modeling Sonic as he might be if he was to function realistically has no spines below the head.  They haven't always been on the backs of other versions of Sonic, but with a big head and small body that isn't a huge issue.  This Sonic, though, isn't built in a way that lets him roll into a spiked ball.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Scritch the Cat said:

You know what the worst part is to me?  This attempt at modeling Sonic as he might be if he was to function realistically has no spines below the head.  They haven't always been on the backs of other versions of Sonic, but with a big head and small body that isn't a huge issue.  This Sonic, though, isn't built in a way that lets him roll into a spiked ball.

He has them in the promo art

Beige arms would be a massive improvement. Maybe it's not too late.

Really not feeling the design as is.

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I dunno. It sounds more like he's saying he wouldn't do it just because a ton of people would bother him about it. A ton more than usual in a way that he's unwilling to handle.

Plus, the stuff he draws is just as ugly. Like, the only positive thing I have to say about the few issues of his run on Archie that I do own is that he... let Sonic keep his gloves.  

• Thumbs Up 5

Penders is a reactionist who will say anything to make his own brand look better. I don't hesitate for a second when I say he could design some kind of unholy abomination that would be a billion times worse than the movie render and stand behind it 100% unironically.

Heck, he's already done it with Laura-Su. Jesus.

• Thumbs Up 8

Brand Personality 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yup that's the selling pitch for Sonic. Sonic is just a edgy brand to sell to kids and this movie is trying to be more cool

45 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

This has reached all kinds of I don't even know anymore! 

Yup that's the selling pitch for Sonic. Sonic is just a edgy brand to sell to kids and this movie is trying to be more cool

...This is literally about the brand itself dude? Like this about what they're planning to do with the franchise. 

• Thumbs Up 1

(Sigh) As much as I'm really excited to watching this movie, and I'm still looking forward to watching this despite the controversy, but I'm really mixed on the design. However, I feel like they could made a much better and bad ass design, rather than making him just a short blue guy with blue arms and white hands. That's probably disrespecting the design.:

03a52246d0d69781c00b6147e52e7cd8.gif

Even Detective Pikachu look better. Look at him. He still look cute and recognizable.:maxresdefault.jpg.

• Thumbs Up 3

If they 

- gave him red shoes with a stripe 

- made his arms beige

- gave him socks

- made his eyes more almond shape

It would be perfect 

3 hours ago, Patron said:

With the movie being it's own pillar I guess it's safe to say that there will be a tie-in game for this Christmas season.

Chaos is dead and we have killed him.

If they 

- gave him red shoes with a stripe 

- made his arms beige

- gave him socks

- made his eyes more almond shape

It would be perfect 

They'd also need to fix the proportions, gloves, face, and entire rest of the movie.

• Thumbs Up 6

I REALLY hope a trailer comes soon now. I've gotta see how Sonic will look in motion and with a voice.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Sorry Pen(dejo) Kenders, but as much as the movie design changes from the source material, at least it's something that does not rape my eyes like your god awful manimal monsters from THE MARY-SUE CHRONICLES.

Besides, it's not like Kenders did any better:

DFb0QJtUIAE6YLp?format=jpg&name=medium

Anyone who draws Sonic as hideous as this has no right to say shit on how others interpretate the character. At least they're making something, while after years and years, Kenders has nothing, zero, nada to show for his shitty characters over which he took Archie and Sega to court.

In short, he's just butthurt over Sega having rejected his vision for a movie so many years ago and it stings his petty little ego that it's someone else who got the project. What a sore loser.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 1

More than anything, I just find the design to be really generic. It might as well be a knock-off. I don't really have any doubts that the thing will look fine in motion, because that's a bare minimum expectation for a movie being produced by a major studio, but that doesn't mean it's appealing. TMNT 2014 had some pretty good special effects, but I still thought the designs were hideous.

It's especially disappointing when you look at how Legendary translated the Pokémon designs for Detective Pikachu, and didn't really compromise on any aspects of the core designs to bring them to life in a realistic setting. Maybe not all those designs translated perfectly (Psyduck comes to mind) but it's an effort I appreciate much more to Sonic's. The basic features are the same, but it's strange to me that a fantasy movie supposedly necessitated such a huge change to a character design that is already really iconic and charming. This is just change for the sake of change.

Also, we all knew Penders was going to comment on this no matter what lol. I kinda want to rerail this topic away from him since he's basically using that post to shill a project he's never going to release and he doesn't deserve the attention.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1