Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I dunno. It sounds more like he's saying he wouldn't do it just because a ton of people would bother him about it. A ton more than usual in a way that he's unwilling to handle.

Plus, the stuff he draws is just as ugly. Like, the only positive thing I have to say about the few issues of his run on Archie that I do own is that he... let Sonic keep his gloves.  

he's just trying to ride the movie coat tails to be relevant.

• Thumbs Up 2

Its not terrible... but he kind of looks like a reject from those Skylanders games.

This just makes me all the more anxious to see how dear old Jim Carrey looks as our favorite egg-obsessed madman. The suspense is killing me!

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh.

Eh, it just looks like an interpretation cribbed off Deviantart. Although those hands are really awkwardly timed since FCTR has been doing his edition of Lego Dimension.

Here's Canadian Guy Eh's reaction to the film's full design. Mine included below.

18 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh.

Eh, it just looks like an interpretation cribbed off Deviantart. Although those hands are really awkwardly timed since FCTR has been doing his edition of Lego Dimension.

The reveal.  Hence why I said everything.  Too many details to count

The more I look at the more cartoony branding guide version... the more it grows on me.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, sucram_h said:

The old promo one we saw with Chris Pratt a while ago looked so much better

That's what we got 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

That's what we got 

It might have been the angle but the proportions on the Pratt one look way better plus his shoes are better

• Thumbs Up 1

I can’t believe that it’s finally happened. A day long coming... the wait is over. 

Lets rejoice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Penders is the pot calling the kettle black.

Like other people mentioned its not helping that the Pikachu Detective movie is also comming out this year and showing quite the better version of how to translate a cartoony design.

Okay, so is this actually 100% legit, official..."art"? You know things are looking good when you have to ask that question because the design looks so shit you have an easier time believing it's just some guy trolling with a lazily thrown together crap picture.

My 2 cents:

- First off, I must say:
980.jpg.e193ca7895188cc68e93ad27fae52aca.jpg
- Second:
f21.thumb.jpg.4cd31390c5b98980291fad9bc8f2809a.jpg
- Third, looks like something Ken Penders would do.
- Fourth, I've seen hundreds of better Sonic fanart on DeviantArt, which tells pretty much everything you need to know.
- Fifth: - "We want to aim for a more realistic design with this movie."
              - "Does that mean you're finally getting rid of that stupid side-mouth?"
              - "Nah, we're actually keeping that."

To be honest. It could have been worst. I mean, this is the mentality of this series for years. You can't expect anything really good anymore of this franchise, just stuff that is not as awful as before. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Should be like this instead.:

Like I said: hundreds of better fanart out there.

5 minutes ago, Rowl said:

To be honest. It could have been worst. I mean, this is the mentality of this series for years. You can't expect anything really good anymore for this franchise, just stuff that is not as awful as before. 

I'm not lowering my standards no matter how bad SEGA wants me to.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Seeing it side-by-side, this is a night and day difference. I would have preferred a design closer to Classic but would have happily settled with this. 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Why would he look like he came out of the TV set of a video game?

You're right, why would a character look like he's supposed to?

• Thumbs Up 4

14 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Stuff like this really highlights how important Sonic's silhouette is to the design, imo. When every blade is crafted to run flat and parallel to the others, it looks jagged and great, whereas the more three-dimensional rigidity or freedom there is... it just looks like a starfish head at most angles. Strange at best, and gross at worst.

... That applies to the entire comparison we have here, of course, but still. :V Just something that this comparison really highlights well in my eyes, at least.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

The game design would make no biological sense and stand out like he doesn't belong.

Like others have pointed it out, you're contradicting yourself here. If he's an alien/extraterrestrial, why the hell should he have to "make biological sense" in the human world?

By saying he's an alien/extraterrestrial, you're admitting there is no rule he should abide to when it comes to design.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Like others have pointed it out, you're contradicting yourself here. If he's an alien/extraterrestrial, why the hell should he have to "make biological sense" in the human world?

By saying he's an alien/extraterrestrial, you're admitting there is no rule he should abide to when it comes to design.

Well, that's all rather theoretical.  If you're all reaching so far as to ponder how an alien should look, real logic is due in return; its body has to suit its purpose.  What does that mean without knowledge of what Sonic is like inside?  Who knows, but his exterior looks close enough to an earth vertebrate's that we might as well extrapolate from that.

But if that sort of thinking is what led to this design, something went wrong.  Not hideously wrong, in my opinion, but what I'm looking at doesn't look like an alien.  It doesn't look like a hedgehog.  In these most recent images, it doesn't even look particularly like a fast runner.  It just looks like an unremarkable, skinny, human body, with blue fur and a Sonic head but with different eyes.  Honestly, if they were dead-set on a human shape, then I wish they'd kept the muscles; at the very least they would have made this design noteworthy.  As of now, it's just a hodgepodge that doesn't particularly convey anything beyond expression.

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

I think that would look worse, to be honest. Yeah, as a design on its own it's much better, but it'd look even weirder next to actual people. I think that design PeterPancake posted earlier is closer to what I'd want:

6 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

What if we got this?

I'd honestly prefer this. It looks so much better with beige arms 

There's still tings I'd want changed. Really tone down the muscles, shorten the neck, socks, big gloves and probably more that I'd think of when seeing it, but ultimately, I do think not just going with a furry version of the game design is the right way to go for what this movie unfortunately is.

I still wish they'd have just gone for a fully animated movie, though.