Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

...You know, it's interesting to me that the below may not actually be the final design but rather just another concept or composite, because I actually don't think it looks that bad.

14 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

Mc1eUrLX.jpeg

The head is a complete cartoon and not fundamentally all that different from the games aside from the eyes (too small) and the grin (too big).  If they were at any point going for realistic, then that's where they gave up, the head is a cartoon and no amount of parroting about "biological realism" is going to change it.  Meanwhile, the stockier arms and legs and the amount of fur on them actually go a long way to disguise the human musculature; it's not nearly as exaggerated as it is on the teaser posters.  The white hands are very silly and could easily have just been gloves, non-cartoony fingerless gloves if you absolutely must insist, but in this specific render (what is it, a cut-out from a paper scan?) then they look similar in shading to his belly and "skin" areas and so don't stand out.  The product placement is obnoxious but not unexpected.  This is the backpedal and softening I was expecting, and if it only looks good in motion they could probably get away with it.

So heaven help us if the final design is nearer to the below, because that is flat-out no-bones awful.

Like just look at it.  It's gaudy, it's garish, where's his neck, and the proportions are back to being gangly and unsettlingly human.  Weirdly deep nostrils, a bouffant of hair - and of course, that well-known guarantor of realism, sidemouth.  That pelvis is unforgiveable, the whole lower half of his body just looks wrong, like a deformed rubber model.  The illusion of his back knee being hinged at his front hip really shows why this is so unsettling.  And the '06 pose is really showing off way too much flesh-like bare chest; it looks like a human in a fursuit.  Oh, so it really is live-action!

Let's just forget about all that.  The movie - out of sight, out of mind.  Here's what's important - Classic is back to being a full branch of the series, and you know what that means.  Bring on Mania 2, we need a palate cleanser, stat!

• Fist Bump 1

3 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

We made the news! :D

See, your dream came true, Sonic is in the eyes of the media again! Surely it isn't because 90% of the people are in total and complete disbelief and disgust!

I like how even the people saying they like the design still finished their sentence with a "but if they change this, or make that this color, or make that shorter...". Sooooo, you didn't liked it then.

It's like when you present a design to a client and they enter the "I like it, but what if you..." loop. "What if you make 2 more options and mix them?"

I saw this thing late at night yesterday and I really thought it was dream earlier today... But it is real.

Seriously if someone genuinely liked this design, no questions asked, no changes, no ifs or buts... Congratulations.

• Thumbs Up 3

18 minutes ago, Jango said:

Surely it isn't because 90% of the people are in total and complete disbelief and disgust!

Suddenly the J. Jonah Jameson line from the 2002 Spider-man movie came to my mind: " He doesn't want to be famous? Then I'll make him infamous."

Also, now we can officially say the 'Sonic fan movie' Sonic design has been dethroned as the ugliest character re-design.

1 hour ago, Marcello said:

but it'd look even weirder next to actual people

That's the approach I will never, ever understand. The desire to make something unique 'fit in' with things it should never 'fit into', even if that means basically butchering the design of what was once unique and iconic.

• Thumbs Up 3

God I hate that full body live action look, it's just scary. It looks so much better in the guide drawings, I still think they nailed his personality though. So that's something. But yeah I'm not convinced at all… it's boring, and misses the point of Sonic. But I can make the same argument for Classic Sonic, for different reasons, it's chubby, fat and short, I prefer a sporty design, even the guide design for the movie is an improvement, although I'm not a fan of the eyes still, my favorite design is Modern, I hate how we have like 4 or 5 designs still being used. Sonic should have one big image, not be divided into "incarnations". Anyway, my stance: the live-action design is hideous.

(Oh and I'm still leaving this place, despite agreeing with you, I hate being called a "white knight", naive or dumb, or written off as someone who blindly likes everything, despite the fact that I stated I'm more excited for the movie than classic stuff or spin-offs like TSR. The thread is… well, united like a hivemind so I'm not gonna go against that, I feel so alone.)

9 hours ago, Mayor D said:

He is Sonic's voice actor in Japan.

He doesn't like it.

Oh dear. XD I wonder if Kanemaru-san is going to be voicing this version of Sonic when the movie is released in Japan, or they might get another seiyuu to voice him like they did here.

I’m actually quite glad that Roger Craig-Smith isn’t voicing Sonic this time around. He already voiced Sonic in Ralph Breaks the Internet just a few months ago and I wouldn’t be able to take them serious as the same character. Arghh..just bring on the trailer already at SXSW! 

1 minute ago, Gabz Girl said:

Oh dear. XD I wonder if Kanemaru-san is going to be voicing this version of Sonic when the movie is released in Japan, or they might get another seiyuu to voice him like they did here.

I’m actually quite glad that Roger Craig-Smith isn’t voicing Sonic this time around. He already voiced Sonic in Ralph Breaks the Internet just a few months ago and I wouldn’t be able to take them serious as the same character. Arghh..just bring on the trailer already at SXSW! 

Seiyuu always voice their character, every time. So whether Kanemaru-san has qualms with it or not, it's still a role for him to play.

Roger Craig Smith, however, I still see him providing the voice of Sonic in the games. Suppose they went with a different voice because they wanted a big name in the role, and Ben Schwartz can provide the right voice. Whatever happens, his voice probably won't stick in the series.

It looks like Sonic got stuck halfway during his Werehog transformation. I'm getting used to it, but the eyes are still bugging me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

(Oh and I'm still leaving this place, despite agreeing with you, I hate being called a "white knight", naive or dumb, or written off as someone who blindly likes everything, despite the fact that I stated I'm more excited for the movie than classic stuff or spin-offs like TSR. The thread is… well, united like a hivemind so I'm not gonna go against that, I feel so alone.)

I don't know who's calling you all that, but please do not feel discouraged. If you like the design, that is fine, the design will find it's fans in some. Even this thread is not entirely a hivemind, with opinions ranging from apathy to frustration. I, for one, simply find the design bland, with missed opportunities abundant, and not really attempting to see what made Sonic the icon that he is.

You can like what you like, just as I like what I like. If you ever feel like you're being brought down because of what you like, then please step away for a moment and fixate your mind on something else. The longer you spend absorbing the opinions of others here, the more hurt and exhausted you will feel by the end (I would know, I felt bummed after all this, and walking away allowed me to reaffirm my opinion). This is not because your feelings and opinions are being attacked, but because you're giving your mind too much to process in one sitting.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

I wonder what Eggman will look like with this design philosophy. Very curious to see his look 

• Thumbs Up 2

That awkward moment when you realize the Sonic fandom is so devided they can't even agree on the basic design of a single character, let alone setting, tone, personalities, gameplay etc...

• Chuckle 1

Let me say this.... who thought that design was a good idea?

It's like if people behind the design had drugs when making this?

This is not a good sign at all...

They're meant for toy packaging, party plates and backpacks. It's promo art for licensors to make merchandise. 

Well, so we're satisfied with the design? We were told for literally months in this thread that if we just wait they would somehow show something completely different from the silhouette image and the bridge teaser (even though that's not how silhouette's work). That they (meaning a completely different creative team under the eye of a licensor much more careful with their IPs) pulled it off with the Pokemon movie so it should be fine with this one.

Sonic is trending on Twitter, so I'm sure it's because it's just absolutely adored by all.

• Chuckle 2

40 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

More impressions from Naka-san. Just waiting on a proper translation now. 

I tried GT and uh...

I think that if the image of Sonic's movie comes out rather than from the official, I think that it is strategically leaked, but when it comes to topics in a bad direction, it will be better to go Sonic's IP. But it is not. There is also a possibility of a fan maid well, but I want a glove attached. It is shocking that the bare hands are white.

He thinks the design could be fan made, but also wants the design to have gloves too.

EDIT: IDK if this was mentioned earlier in the past pages but there's more?

tumblr_pnvpp00bxx1ql06cz_1280.jpg

First one says: Will the marketing company inadvertently disclose the shocking appearance of the live-action version "Sonic the Movie"?

Second One: When I see this sonic's whole body visual, I feel that it is important to have round head and head. It probably was not able to balance a little more.

...I feel bad for Yuji Naka.

I looked on Twitter and saw this picture, which really puts into context both how dreadful the design is and how horribly mismanaged the Sonic IP is:

image.png.cef1b6212e71af94a6649d58a873eb83.png

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I looked on Twitter and saw this picture, which really puts into context both how dreadful the design is and how horribly mismanaged the Sonic IP is:

image.png.cef1b6212e71af94a6649d58a873eb83.png

We finally got the small gem that was Sonic Mania, then we get this movie...talk about one step forward two steps back.

• Chuckle 2

14 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

We finally got the small gem that was Sonic Mania, then we get this movie...talk about one step forward two steps back.

More like One step forward 999,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 steps back

• Too Many Rings 3

They weren't going to win no matter what they did. The design as seen in the licensing guide is not aesthetically displeasing at all. I've already showed it to several who don't really have a strong reaction to it either way. One of them thought he was cute.

The only thing off is the blue arms and shoes but this is more or less what Sonic was always going to look like. I was predicting this months ago, trying to prepare all of you. But I guess I failed because people are still acting surprised they went this route when the writing was on the wall for months 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

More like One step forward 999,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 steps back

I was trying to be generous, but I can't argue with that.

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

They weren't going to win no matter what they did.

Well they could have avoided the "What the fuck did they do to Sonic?!" reaction, but that's just me.

And no, kids are not going to be scared of him. He is not some mutated monstrosity. I seriously don't understand the problem with the licensing guide. He was never going to have noodle arms and Hulk-sized hands and feet. 

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

They weren't going to win no matter what they did. The design as seen in the licensing guide is not aesthetically displeasing at all. I've already showed it to several who don't really have a strong reaction to it either way. One of them thought he was cute.

The only thing off is the blue arms and shoes but this is more or less what Sonic was always going to look like. I was predicting this months ago, trying to prepare all of you. But I guess I failed because people are still acting surprised they went this route when the writing was on the wall for months 

But again I must ask why redesign sonic like this? why make it live action? why? why? why?

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, it’s seem that Yuji Naka like the fan made design a lot.:

Man, this is really sad and embarrassing.

• Thumbs Up 1