Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

34 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Ian Flynn --- Archie Sonic Comic Writer, IDW Sonic Comic writer. 

You know I get the feeling he's not a fan either.

And this happened:

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

...Not sure if serious? Y'all are complaining about him looking like a guy in a suit... But this is LITERALLY that. This render literally looks like a body builder wearing a fur suit. I actually hate this design. 

I just.. I can't. If this is what constitutes their idea "done right" I don't even...

Fifty Thousand Pounds says that if they had revealed that design you'd be practically orgasmic about it right now.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 3

Just now, Mayor D said:

Fifty Thousand Pounds says that if they had revealed that design you'd be practically orgasmic about it right now.

Absolutely not. That looks like Michael Bay's version of Sonic and it is everything that people hate about this design dialed up to 11. I don't want Sonic to look like a linebacker with fur. Seriously, how the heck is that better than what we got?!?!? 

22 minutes ago, Jango said:

Just wanted to post this to the people that think this "doesn't look as bad as I thought":

The render was made by God of War (PS4) art director, and the poster montage was made by BossLogic.

Just compare this with the design Paramount came up with. It's exactly same idea, but miles better executed, even if turning Sonic realistic by adding fur and textures still isn't the best idea, at least Rafael's design is not offensive and respects the source material. And BossLogic's idea for a poster mimicking a Master Syster cover art is simple, yet so genius.

Really? I think this is much worse.

17 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Also, another render of him kinda remind of this.:

sonic_s_official_movie_design_by_dimensions101_dd1azpv-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NDYwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvYTVhMDM1MGEtODU4Ni00MTUzLTk0ZjEtZGQzY2FlNzJhZGI2XC9kZDFhenB2LTEwMDY0MzBlLTJlZGMtNDM3Zi1iYjgxLWE3NTE4YjAxZmJlNC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9NjAwIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.2yj75p-_iK0J3VFpkyTb6G61GNX3c_xKMyqZ8XxgHFg

latest?cb=20180614084435

Where did that render come from?

17 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

Mc1eUrLX.jpeg

Make it stop. 

Mm...eh, I'm still gonna say it would've looked slightly better with actual gloves.

Like, the hands do avoid sticking out too much and they do coordinate with his stomach, but then that's what the muzzle is for.

17 hours ago, Sgt Nate V said:

It's the neck that makes it look horrible.

Oh my goodness, I didn't even notice that. 

Yeah, that could be better. Why does it look like his head was Monty Python'd on?

17 hours ago, Stasis said:

Gotta get Nike branding! 

Holy fuck, it IS Nike! :lol:

17 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Am I the only one getting Dragon Ball Evolution vibes from it? It looks near-identical to the uncanny valley portraits of the PSP game:

1:07

There was a game of that?

And why does it look like a edge late PS1 Mortal Kombat game?

17 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Not bad. Ok so can we just get a hand raise for yay or nayers. Atm I am ok with this. AS LONG as the action holds up. I DO NOT want a full on comedy.

Uh, it could still use some slight touch ups, but I'm still fine settling into okay.

17 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

I'm cackling, because he's got these weird Disney Princess eyes on him. That's amazing, and flies so far from the face of "realism."

I thought they reminded me of something.

17 hours ago, Diogenes said:

So wait, are his hands white in the actual movie or not? The picture's pretty faded but they look about the same as his chest and face here.

Yeah, I was about to say, they actually don't look bad. For as much as people like to go on about uncanny valley and shit, that actually looks like it could make a good design choice.

I'm still just wondering why they didn't go with gloves at that point, though.

17 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

I'm FUMING.

THEY ALREADY HAD SONIC LOOKIN' SHOES AND THEY WERE NIKE SHOES

YOU HAD

ONE

JOB

Wow, they really made those?

Dang, what a missed opportunity.

17 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Yup. I noticed that too. Nike has payed product placement in the the movie. I predicted months ago that Sonic's shoes may be an altered version of an existing brand.

Kinda like how Batman wore modified Nikes in the 1989 movie 

Did he?

25 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Where did that render come from?

Do you mean the 1st render which is come from one of the leaked pictures, or do you mean the 2nd render which that one is from Ultimate?

17 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Correct.

Also it pretty much means...what's the point in making his arms blue if the peach colored parts are gonna be fur anyway.

Um...probably because it wouldn't look right?

I think part of the point of his arms being peach in the first place is because they're supposed to be naked compared to everything that's not his muzzle or debatably his stomach, both of which get a pass because there are plenty of animals that have different colored equivalents with fur. So in addition, it would also be a weird splash of color on that design that could throw it off, even with being symmetrical.

Take his neck there, for example.

17 hours ago, Diogenes said:

If they were going to have Sonic change his "costume", then why start him off with red shoes in the first place? Wouldn't it be more dramatic for him to, say, go from barefoot to his signature shoes, than from one pair of red shoes to a slightly more accurate pair?

Yeah, that would be my thought as well.

Although that could easily make the hypothetical chronology of this movie really weird.

1 hour ago, Jango said:

Just wanted to post this to the people that think this "doesn't look as bad as I thought":

The render was made by God of War (PS4) art director, and the poster montage was made by BossLogic.

Just compare this with the design Paramount came up with. It's exactly same idea, but miles better executed, even if turning Sonic realistic by adding fur and textures still isn't the best idea, at least Rafael's design is not offensive and respects the source material. And BossLogic's idea for a poster mimicking a Master Syster cover art is simple, yet so genius.

Ehhhhh. No.  That looks worse than v the actual leaked movie render. It's way more off-putting and humanoid structured for starters. The chest doesn't help matters either. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well...

To give it some credit, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. But it still looks super weird. I have to see it in motion to fully judge it. 

• Promotion 1

56 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Absolutely not. That looks like Michael Bay's version of Sonic and it is everything that people hate about this design dialed up to 11. I don't want Sonic to look like a linebacker with fur. Seriously, how the heck is that better than what we got?!?!? 

What is even the difference? Only things I see are the arm color, difference in quill numbers, one has the stupid side-mouth instead a more proper center mouth and one has gloves instead of white hand fur. But at the end of the day, both are nightmare fuels.

• Thumbs Up 5

On 3/5/2019 at 2:26 PM, PeterPancake said:

...Not sure if serious? Y'all are complaining about him looking like a guy in a suit... But this is LITERALLY that. This render literally looks like a body builder wearing a fur suit. I actually hate this design. 

I just.. I can't. If this is what constitutes their idea "done right" I don't even...

Never said I find this design better, as I firmly still believe this movie shouldn't be live-action to begin with. I just said it's miles better executed. The beige fur mixes with the blue fur very smoothly, the body proportion is way more balanced as a whole (even if it looks more muscular, at least it isn't a giant ass head in a slim body) and it has the iconic gloves and shoes. It's better designed and it's closer to the source material, period.

• The topic was locked

Topic will remain closed for a short while while we clean up posts, figure out how to deal with everyone involved, and let everyone cool the fuck off for a while.

• Thumbs Up 9

• The topic was unlocked
9 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Looks around

No? Nobody? Alright...

D0_WfvjXQAAs1X0.jpg

Here's what TSSZ have apparently verified as another shot from the movie. It looks... well. 

I really am beginning to feel like somehow - every leak we get from this movie is just some kind of downgrade from the previous leak. First we have the film guide - alright, it looks bad, but it's not horrifically awful or anything. Then you have the raw model, that looks absolutely uncanny and creepy, but now you've got a shot of him straight in animation with a massively creepy grin to the audience. That smile does not look natural whatsoever, and the look in general seems so *bland* to me. Like, it looks like Sonic's meant to be giving a look of excitement or attitude or something here, but his eyes can't properly express that, instead just remaining in place, as if they took the game design literally and didn't realise Sonic has an eyelid to convey additional emotions.

I get that it's low quality and blurry too, but even if that was cleaned up, I really don't see how that could be appealing or attractive to anyone. It looks ridiculously creepy, and ironically, even more unrealistic than the game to me. It looks like a bootleg stuffed animal brought to life or something.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Absolutely 1

For whatever reason the new pic makes me think of the cgi Chuck E. Cheese commercials. I think it looks better than the last two leaks actually, but not as good as the Chris Pratt poster.

• Thumbs Up 1

Err... to me it doesn't really look any worse then the film guide pics we got. Sure the mouth looks bad, but I assume it is just a awkward screenshot taken during him talking. I notice they seem to have removed the white fur between his eyes if this is the final model. Regardless no matter what Movie Sonic looks horrible to me in everything we've seen so far.

That new screenshot is properly horrid, wow.  And this is coming from somebody who thought the render it was based on didn't look too bad (though I repeat that the actual art is horrendous).  One of the greatest strengths of the Modern Sonic design is how good he looks from a front view, but this... well, we should never have seen the model from this angle.  And we should never have to say "we should never have seen the model from this angle," either!

The theory that this might actually be from the new Sonic cartoon is if anything yet more petrifying.

• Thumbs Up 1

5786333C-35A8-43C6-BB44-CEE4C054C4FF.png

We thought we had it, Sonic was back on track and after Mania Sega FINALLY learned their lesson but ????? TF IS THIS???????

If this is the final straw that breaks the franchises back not an ounce of surprise will be squeezed out of me.

17 minutes ago, FFWF said:

The theory that this might actually be from the new Sonic cartoon is if anything yet more petrifying.

Not a theory I remotely believe in. This is still clearly Movie Sonic counting both his design and how the background is realistic too... i can't see SEGA making a realistic style animated TV series based after the movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think this shot makes MUCH better use of colors compared to the washed out-looking full body shot that was leaked yesterday, which goes a long way in making it more a much more palatable design.  But unfortunately, not long enough to actually make the design palatable.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, FFWF said:

That new screenshot is properly horrid, wow.  And this is coming from somebody who thought the render it was based on didn't look too bad (though I repeat that the actual art is horrendous).  One of the greatest strengths of the Modern Sonic design is how good he looks from a front view, but this... well, we should never have seen the model from this angle.  And we should never have to say "we should never have seen the model from this angle," either!

The environment looks a bit too lifelike to be from a cartoon. ..unless this is going to be a tie-in live action/CGI show, but.. they said animation. I don't think there's a need to worry about this particular scenario.

18 minutes ago, Chika Takami said:

If this is the final straw that breaks the franchises back not an ounce of surprise will be squeezed out of me

If I had a nickel.. no, this isn't going to be it. Still just a movie. It'll come and go. That fabled final straw would have to be a Sonic Team-made game.