Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

You know the worst part?

9 out of 10 chances that we be getting a post-credit scene. Just imagine there going to throw Amy, Shadow or Trails in the post-credit scene and now imagine what they be looking like.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 3

48 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Looks around

No? Nobody? Alright...

D0_WfvjXQAAs1X0.jpg

Here's what TSSZ have apparently verified as another shot from the movie. It looks... well. 

...Why? 

I'm so done now. I want to say something good but I'm just coming up blank. Everything that comes out is seriously killing my interest more and more. 

It does not look that bad in my eyes. Sonic is one of the hardest characters to change for a live-action adoption. This is probably the best a person can do.

It looks like an awful made for TV CG cartoon show.

Blockbuster movie? Lol.

• Thumbs Up 6

Maybe it's the angle but his head really does look huge. It's a strange design, but I won't nitpick it right now because I'm sure there's plenty of that.

Instead I will point out how childlike Sonic looks! I wonder what age he is supposed to be? I don't think this is the ~16 year old Modern Sonic we've seen in the 3D games. I'm thinking he's more like 10.

5 minutes ago, Rowl said:

This is probably the best person can do.

Then maybe don’t do live action if it’s so hard if the “only” option was this 

• Thumbs Up 5

4 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Blockbuster movie? Lol.

My first impression is they used that old-ass 'Howard the duck' movie as inspiration.

• Chuckle 1

I think I figured out why the face looks so off to me. It's the shape of the mouth, it looks awful. It reminds me of a muppet character. It get worse the more you stare at it. 

Could that shot be from the teaser trailer shown in Brazil, perhaps? It looks like he’s running down a highway, which he was doing in that teaser trailer. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Tracker_TD said:

Looks around

No? Nobody? Alright...

D0_WfvjXQAAs1X0.jpg

Here's what TSSZ have apparently verified as another shot from the movie. It looks... well. 

yqeqa3aawilk498bg5s0.jpg

The comparison really makes you think, doesn't it... 🤔

Well, Sonic still doesn't (nor will he ever) look like a part of reality. If anything, this picture makes him stand out more, like a freakish animated character in the real world, something that only CGI could make. It's honestly a shame.

He actually looks like a bootleg figure, one that you'd find miscoloured in a Taiwanese shop or something. And I'm not sure teddy bear mouth is working for him; If anything, it makes him look less like Sonic.

To be perfectly honest, and I need to emphasise this:

I did not recognise him as Sonic until the post said so.

why can't we have a sonic movie? why do executives think their decisions override anything?

please, it actually hurts

• Thumbs Up 9

4 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

why can't we have a sonic movie? why do executives think their decisions override anything?

please, it actually hurts

Because executives know better and need to ""fix"" the design of a beloved character who's been popular for nearly 30 years.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Because executives know better and need to ""fix"" the design of a beloved character who's been popular for nearly 30 years.

As the saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." So, where was the Sonic design broke?

I'm being honest, someone please explain, it's starting to boggle my mind...

• Thumbs Up 3

What is interesting, this many years from its beginnings, CGI characters (much less so non-animal depictions) really still look much less realistic than hand animated characters!!  

I am sure there is some sort of neuropsychological explanation for it, as well as aesthetic: Whether it is Roger Rabbit or Space Jam, the integration between the characters and filmed content is basically perfect and feels very natural to the mind and emotions! 

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Isn't there like an unspoken rule or something that goes something like: 'Don't fuck around with iconic.'? If there isn't, there really should be.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

As the saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." So, where was the Sonic design broke?

I'm being honest, someone please explain, it's starting to boggle my mind...

It wasn't reality enough, so they decided to make it more reality.

Just now, StaticMania said:

It wasn't reality enough, so they decided to make it more reality.

And instead, they only made it look even of an unrealistic mess. I honestly think you could've just altered Modern's design to give it a few more realistic touches like realistic fur and it would've stood out better. In fact, given there's a fan design of that floating around, I absolutely believe this.

And what's more funny - if he looks awful now - I sure as hell can't wait to see him next to real human people. Because I'm expecting Garfield the Movie levels of awful with this CGI.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

15 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

And instead, they only made it look even of an unrealistic mess. I honestly think you could've just altered Modern's design to give it a few more realistic touches like realistic fur and it would've stood out better. In fact, given there's a fan design of that floating around, I absolutely believe this.

And what's more funny - if he looks awful now - I sure as hell can't wait to see him next to real human people. Because I'm expecting Garfield the Movie levels of awful with this CGI.

There is still a small chance that, rather than introduce, perhaps to some controversy, Modern Sonic but with branded shoes (I thought i saw that in the thread yesterday?), they want to present this false version until perhaps April 1st this year?  

Then perhaps on that day, introducing the actual version to be used in the film, which would probably be the good one you are describing, the branded shoes would not be as much of an issue. 

2 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

I get the feeling that there will be more developments on this either tonight or tomorrow. And, one thing's for sure, I'm growing more and more convinced by the day that SXSW will give us a trailer of some kind.

It is funny you say this, as SXSW will be running the stream for the Sonic panel themselves.

One less thing to worry about for you at TSSZ, but it makes one wonder about the occasion.

1 minute ago, expansivelovestories said:

There is still a small chance that, rather than introduce, perhaps to some controversy, Modern Sonic but with branded shoes (I thought i saw that in the thread yesterday?), they want to present this false version until perhaps April 1st this year?  

It is sad that people are still in this denial phase...

I'm sorry, but if we have this much information already, it's real. I'm am actually really, really sorry.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

5 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

It is funny you say this, as SXSW will be running the stream for the Sonic panel themselves.

One less thing to worry about for you at TSSZ, but it makes one wonder about the occasion.

I feel that SXSW streams the Sonic panel whether it's huge or not. But it sure does make my work easier. lol

If there's going to be a Sonic movie trailer revealed there, though...I'm going into an underground bunker.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm not too big a fan of that still image. That being said, it also doesn't worry me that much because it's quite grainy/not-good-quality and looks like it's been taken when he was in the middle of talking while running. I need to see Sonic in actual motion in a trailer before I can form any sort of concrete opinion.

Still, the cartoony branding guide pics from yesterday? Those just keep growing on me~

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Blockbuster movie? Lol.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm almost done with this film now. I just can't do this anymore. I'll check out the trailer whenever it releases, but I just cannot really accept this as Sonic. So if the design doesn't look better in the trailer, then I'll just stick to the game & TV Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually had a bit of hope it wouldn't look that bad in the actual movie, but.. yeah. All that's left now is to actually see it in motion.