Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Gangsters Paradise is on Page 380)

So what design do people want that dislike it. Sure gloves would be nice but honestly from what i gather is that they wanted this as a more realistic sonic set in a human world and not a cartoony sonic running around. If they wanted a fully cartoon sonic it honestly would have suit him better to be in a full cgi movie.

Translation of Naka’s thoughts. 

4 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

So what design do people want that dislike it. Sure gloves would be nice but honestly from what i gather is that they wanted this as a more realistic sonic set in a human world and not a cartoony sonic running around. If they wanted a fully cartoon sonic it honestly would have suit him better to be in a full cgi movie.

Just Sonic’s regular design but with fancy texturing would’ve been fine, seriously. This design is still cartoony, just freakishly so. 

Again, there is nothing unrealistic about gloves if he’s already wearing bloody trainers.

3 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

If they wanted a fully cartoon sonic it honestly would have suit him better to be in a full cgi movie.

Exactly that. That's what most of us wanted, an animated film entirely made by Marza.

I mean, the Mario movie is most likely gonna suck since its made by Illumination, but at least it'll look how a Mario movie should look like hopefully.

16 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

This movie is coming out after a slew of Marvel movies that got the designs and how they could and should work down. Even if you consider that, after it went to Paramount, things were likely only finalized not THAT long ago, there's absolutely no reason for this movie to be so far beyond they struggle with the very basics of translating a character's design.

See, that's the hurdle I always come to whenever I think about this(which isn't often, mind, but still). 

While I won't pretend to know, much less have seen much of what the comics have done with him, Rocket seems like he may have always been recognizable as a raccoon with machine guns. Thus, the movie basically just took a regular raccoon, had it walk on two legs, dressed it in a jumpsuit and called it a day.

Sonic is different beast(heh) entirely, as his design was always meant to be more stylized, especially post-1998. From his huge ferns of anime-esque head spines, to the thin lanky arms and legs, his most enduring design has always been sleek and slim so as to be cool looking. Putting that in a live action or other more grounded format was always gotten be a struggle because he deviates so far from the inspiration that you'd either have to go with what's there while popping next to everything else, seriously reign in what's recognizable to be more true to life, or try to find some form of mildly content middleground.

16 hours ago, Gabz Girl said:

Can’t imagine what Tails and the others would look like so I’m quite glad they don’t seem to be in this! =D 

Ah, I think Tails will be fine.

It's Knuckles and Amy one should be worried about--though which one should be moreso is up to the individual.

Man, I really feel bad for Naka in all this. You can tell that something he loves has been screwed up badly and even seems to be hoping it’s a fan design and that something better is coming. 

The fact he mentions it’s damaging to the IP is the worst IMO. It’s like saying “here’s something I put tons of work in being damaged now”.

16 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

He didn't dip his hands. That's likely the natural color of his hand fur. Wherever Sonic comes from, all of his people have it. 

That's like saying a black, brown and white Cat dipped himself in white to get that color. It's his natural coat that is the result of genetics 

Uh, considering Lego Dimensions, you might not be too off.

Of course, Archie(and possibly IDW, I haven't checked) completely blows that out the water.

The modern design with "realistic" textures was never going to work. That design only works in a) a self referential parody of the genre like Roger Rabbit B ) A PG-rated kids movie about Sonic coming out of the games or C) an animated feature.

It does not work with the grounded, Sci-Fi approach they're taking with Sonic. It's not as simple as "Why didn't they use the game dezign". Think about what fits THEIR vision for the movie 

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

See, that's the hurdle I always come to whenever I think about this(which isn't often, mind, but still). 

While I won't pretend to know, much less have seen much of what the comics have done with him, Rocket seems like he may have always been recognizable as a raccoon with machine guns. Thus, the movie basically just took a regular raccoon, had it walk on two legs, dressed it in a jumpsuit and called it a day.

Sonic is different beast(heh) entirely, as his design was always meant to be more stylized, especially post-1998. From his huge ferns of anime-esque head spines, to the thin lanky arms and legs, his most enduring design has always been sleek and slim so as to be cool looking. Putting that in a live action or other more grounded format was always gotten be a struggle because he deviates so far from the inspiration that you'd either have to go with what's there while popping next to everything else, seriously reign in what's recognizable to be more true to life, or try to find some form of mildly content middleground.

That's the thing I don't get with how people are comparing Sonic's look to Pikachu given the latter has a more simple design from the get go and even then the Pokemon live action movie has some grossly disturbing Pokemon looking at Jigglypuff (who they shouldn't have had in the movie anyway as it just doesn't work for her sadly whatever they went with for design), Aipom and Ludicolo. Then they do have some fantastic designs like Mewtwo they did amazingly. 

20 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

I really don't understand how random white hands could have seen as better than just giving him gloves.. people wear gloves.. they don't have to look like Mickey Mouse gloves, they could be fingerless or whatever, but why white hands?? Real life hedgehogs don't have feet that are a different color than the rest of their body.

It's amazing how not in touch the people making this movie even are with the franchise. When you type Sonic on Google Images, one of the 3 first results is the slender-ass Sonic 06 render... Which is the render they used as a basis. Like, no one thought about NOT using the pose and render proportions from arguibly the most infamous Sonic game to date? Seriously, you had one job. Why they didn't just went with the finger wagging then? At least that is iconic for GOOD REASONS. They just typed "Sonic" and rolled with it.

Well, I knew that the people behind this movie know shit about Sonic when they even got the ring sfx wrong on that animated poster.

What a disgrace this design is. The only good thing is that the leaked style guide hints at a brand segmentation, so hopefully, I can at least get my classic Sonic games, cartoons, etc. That is untill SEGA finds a way to ruin it too somehow... 

21 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Translation of Naka’s thoughts. 

Just Sonic’s regular design but with fancy texturing would’ve been fine, seriously. This design is still cartoony, just freakishly so. 

Again, there is nothing unrealistic about gloves if he’s already wearing bloody trainers.

yea but seeing sonic run around with blood red feet is a bit more unsettling for the trade off of white fur hands.

16 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Some people wouldn't have been happy if they literally ripped the Unleashed model and put it onscreen. 

Well, considering they've been using the Unleashed model every since....

19 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

The modern design with "realistic" textures was never going to work. That design only works in a) a self referential parody of the genre like Roger Rabbit B ) A PG-rated kids movie about Sonic coming out of the games or C) an animated feature.

It does not work with the grounded, Sci-Fi approach they're taking with Sonic. It's not as simple as "Why didn't they use the game dezign". Think about what fits THEIR vision for the movie 

The head still makes him look like he came out of a Disney movie, so not that grounded. Perhaps that head alone could work as a "realistic-ish" version if the body wasn't literally a human man's. But maybe Disney would have the common sense to not think a live action movie is the right vision for a movie with ambitions to make Sonic a "big name" again..

8 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

yea but seeing sonic run around with blood red feet is a bit more unsettling for the trade off of white fur hands.

Why does it have to be a trade-off though..

And if he randomly has Nike sneakers even though he comes from another world, then that's pretty unrealistic. Who knows, maybe we'll see barefeet Sonic running around for a while. Or maybe there's a Sonic world version of Nike who Sonic bought his shoes from. And then, why couldn't he, say, also buy some Nike gloves..?

Spoiler

Related image

1 minute ago, Razule said:

The head still makes him look like he came out of a Disney movie, so not that grounded. Perhaps that head alone could work as a "realistic-ish" version if the body wasn't literally a human man's. But maybe Disney would have the common sense to not think a live action movie is the right vision for a movie with ambitions to make Sonic a "big name" again..

The head is fine. What else could it have looked like? And we haven't seen his face move. It's probably set that way so Sonic can have a very expressive face. That's why Schwartz was doing mocap for him. Guarantee it looks better in action and in the context of the movie 

I said this before, but the new design isn't going to look any less out of place than a realistically textured game design would. Because, guess what? It's going to be CG regardless. He'll look just as fake next to Tom as he would with the damn noodle arms; it doesn't really look any more realistic. People would be able to suspend their disbelief just as easily with the game design. Hell, if anything, it's just going to take people out even more, because it doesn't look like Sonic normally does. There was, and will continue to be, 0 reasons why they couldn't have just used the game design.

10 minutes ago, Razule said:

And if he randomly has Nike sneakers even though he comes from another world, then that's pretty unrealistic. Who knows, maybe we'll see barefeet Sonic running around for a while. Or maybe there's a Sonic world version of Nike who Sonic bought his shoes from. And then, why couldn't he, say, also buy some Nike gloves..?

Hide contents

Related image

I mean this is the first shot. Maybe he tries to grab on to something in the real world that hurts his wee paws and they go and buy him said gloves above. product placement at its best.

27 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

The fact the question they are asking themself is 'how can we make Sonic fit our vision?' instead of 'what vision fits Sonic?' should probably set off alarms already if you ask me.

22 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Hiya.

People who have spoken out against or said the movie Sonic design isn't very good

Yuji Naka - Co-Creator of Sonic. (multiple tweets)

Naoto Oshima - Co-Creator of Sonic (multiple tweets)

Shiro Maekawa - Sonic Adventure & Supervisor of Sonic X Scripts (Multiple tweets)

Gurihiru-san - Character designer & illustrator for Sonic Unleashed (tweet)

Nakamura_Shun - Producer at Sonic Team/Sega of Japan (Tweet)

Hirokazu Yasuhara - Sonic 1 level designer, also done work for Naughty Dog (tweet)

Jun'ichi Kanemaru - Sonic's voice actor in Japan, 1998 - Present day. (Tweet)

Kate Burning - Former Sega of America Community Team (tweet)

Former Sega Community Manager --- Based on the tweets they have been 'liking'

EB Games Australia - Major Video game Retailer for Australia (tweet)

Multiple videogame publications including GameXplain & Polygon 

People who have spoken out in favour of the design.

Ken Penders - Attention seeker (tweet)

3 fans. <--- I couldn't find anymore who didn't have some problem with it.

EB Games Australia - Major Video game Retailer for Australia (tweet)

"oh ok" doesn't mean negative. Stop with the fake news to suit your narrative.