Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

Also, that model clearly looks instantly recognizable. There is nothing inherently bad about it 

It became recognisable once someone told me it was Sonic. My first impression was "horrible live-action/CGI remake of another beloved cartoon" before realising that it was actually Sonic. For me, at least.

And I'm not kidding nor exaggerating either. Those were my very real thoughts. Now that I know that it's Sonic, it's just bad. Like, bootleg-toy-sold-by-someone-at-the-Saturday-market-that-the-merchant-doesn't-actually-know-or-care-what-it-is-and-confuses-passers-who-walk-past bad.

It's recognisable... At the cost of what?

• Thumbs Up 5

39 minutes ago, Tara said:

"No such thing as bad publicity" only works if negative publicity is good in the eyes of someone else.  Tommy Wiseau may be infamous for The Room, but as far as I know, he's not making a killing off of it.  In fact, if Wikipedia is to be believed, the box office returns for that movie were... er...

ba249170792f13080fc5aee2e52835a3.png

...not good.

"No such thing as bad publicity" is a fallacy that people need to stop using without thinking about why something that has garnered negative attention becomes successful.

Not a good comparison, because no one knew the Room existed when it first was debuted. It wasn't well known in geek circles until years after its release, and it didn't receive true cult status until around 5 years after its release. I think it's fair to say that now, when it is actually well-known and notorious, it's made back the money Wiseau spent, especially since he's worked on so many other projects in the last 5 years.

But I agree that infamy doesn't necessarily equate to sales. I know the terrible games PewDiePie plays on his channel, for example, barely sell on Steam.

I think for something 'so bad it's good' to work, it has to have genuine passion and something endearing about it. The Room is endearing, but something like the Terrible Bulk isn't. I bet barely anyone has bought Bulk. To be blunt, I think the Sonic movie will probably be cynical and shallow, which will be its undoing.

• Thumbs Up 6

At this point, the only things that I'm looking forward to this film are the action scenes and what Ben Schwartz sound like as Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Again there is only one word I like to describe this movie look for Sonic:

AAAHHH!!!

Three more words come to mind:

What

The

And of course: hellisthat!

4 minutes ago, Stasis said:

yay.png.07826e9fc57d3514cbf2bee982d92315.png

Oh hey Sonic

May I ask where this image came from? Is it a screen ghost from the trailer?

• Thumbs Up 1

There's no white on Sonic's hands either, from what we can see anyways.

3 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

He's right in saying that the hate/complaining is bringing attention to this movie. There's no such thing as bad publicity when it comes to a studio 

That's actually not true. That myth has been proven wrong many times before. The internet will often rally behind making fun of something that looks horrible and move onto the next thing without going out to spend money on the thing they were mocking all the time.

Ghostbusters 2016 thought it could ride it's controversy to the bank but the exact opposite happened. Sony jumped the gun creating a new studio called "Ghost Corps" and then had to watch it die when the movie lost them money. Which is embarrassing. 

And of course, everyone was making fun of the "Dark Universe" where they tried to take the old Universal monsters and turn them into the Avengers. They released "The Mummy" with that "Dark Universe" logo attached to it and it bombed. And it remains the only movie with the "Dark Universe" logo in it. Which is also embarrassing.

This movie, had it been managed correctly, might still not have been a huge success but I do feel like, as is, it's going to flop.

There probably are people out there who will see it to make fun of it and genuine fans who find it fine but I don't see the number of people seeing things that way rising up to allow for a success.

Especially considering the track record of other video game movies. The only ones at the top of my head that managed to be successful was the Angry Birds Movie (which was not only an animated film but also distributed by Illumination, a company that markets the hell out of it's stuff and that people know the name of) and Warcraft (which bombed domestically but got lucky due to making a killing in China).

So. Sorry to say, I don't think the "live-action Sonic the Hedgehog, buddy-cop movie starring Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik" is going to be the one to break the mold and prove successful. 

Edit: Angry Birds was Sony. That other studio that makes (mostly) shit films.

• Thumbs Up 6

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

There's no white on Sonic's hands either, from what we can see anyways.

They could theoretically just be hidden behind the length of his blue arms at this angle - I think I see a little white on the left side? Time will tell.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, do a barrel roll said:

Um... The Angry Birds Movie was actually distributed by Sony Pictures.

Right. That's right. Sorry. I got it confused with the other awful animation studio. 

Aside from that one time they made Into the Spider-Verse.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Plasme said:

Not a good comparison, because no one knew the Room existed when it first was debuted. It wasn't well known in geek circles until years after its release, and it didn't receive true cult status until around 5 years after its release. I think it's fair to say that now, when it is actually well-known and notorious, it's made back the money Wiseau spent, especially since he's worked on so many other projects in the last 5 years. 

I mean, fair.  But two things to keep in mind:

1) If Wikipedia is to be believed, the majority of his undertakings following The Room have been acting credits.  A not small percentage of those acting credits are to playing himself.  When he's not playing himself, he's playing a character meant to cash in on himself.  The things he has produced, directed, and/or written are still very small ventures by comparison to other films.

2) Despite its infamy, The Room (and many works by Wiseau) still only have a cult following, which isn't really compatible with the arguments being tossed around that these changes are being made to appeal to a mainstream demographic.

But that does tie into another point:  Aggressive marketing.  The job of a marketer and promoter is explicitly to get tickets sold.  It shouldn't be a surprise when they manage to do their job well, despite the absolutely absurd premise they may be trying to sell.  As such, it's a bit of a fallacy to assume they every ticket, or even most tickets, sold will be done so as a result of an educated decision to see the film based on its individual merits.  There is a margin of error, I guess is what I'm saying.

Maa-maan, at this point, there's not even more reason to keep arguing about this movie. Every new leak looks worse than the last, it's like a katamari of shit. I seriously can't wait for this. Perhaps then SEGA will learn. Ah, who am I kidding, "SEGA learning", pff.

• Thumbs Up 5

I want a scene in the movie early on of sonic trying to attack eggman and him running past a jewelry store and seeing some emeralds and confusing them for the chaos emeralds tries to transform into super sonic only to realize they are fake and for eggman to use that time to smack him across the city with a mech or something.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

I actually don't mind Sonic's design!  It's different from what I thought but I'll have to see him on screen in motion before I can deliver my final verdict.  I wonder what Jim Carrey's Robotnik will look like...the Riddler costume with a mustache? :P  Honestly, this design is better than Carrey's casting as Robotnik and I'll stand by that.

Let's say the film is really well-written and captures Sonic really well.

Could you still enjoy it or would that design completely turn you off?

1 minute ago, Plasme said:

I could enjoy it...I don't mind Sonic's design, honestly.  I found enjoyment in Sonic The Hedgehog 2006(though it was a PAIN to beat it)...I'll find enjoyment somewhere in this, if it exists!

5 minutes ago, Plasme said:

Oh, absolutely. If the film is really well written and captures Sonic’s personality really well, that design wouldn’t turn me off nearly enough to not enjoy it. I’m still not convinced that it’s the worst thing ever, or that the movie is going to automatically be a huge massive bomb. Movies that seemed absolutely destined to be flops have ended up not being flops before. The opposite is also true, sure, but it can still happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Back to the whole “no such thing as bad publicity”, I’m surprised no one brought up The Emoji Movie as an example, since the box office earnings on that were huge and that things has an 8% on RT.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Back to the whole “no such thing as bad publicity”, I’m surprised no one brought up The Emoji Movie as an example, since the box office earnings on that were huge and that things has an 8% on RT.

To be fair, Emojis are really popular now. Unfortunately, Sonic doesn't command the same popularity he once had.

• Thumbs Up 4

15 minutes ago, Plasme said:

Oh, I know I'll enjoy this movie, be laughing with it or at it, now, if it turns out to be a genuine good movie that does capture Sonic's spirit well, the design will not prevent me from enjoying it for what it is.

Edited by NikoS
  • Thumbs Up 3

Just now, NikoS said:

Oh, I know I'll enjoy this movie, be laughing with it or at it, now, if it

Sure but I was kind of meaning enjoying it unironically 😛 

1 minute ago, Plasme said:

Eh it can happen.

Wiseau knows my love :D

Still I dont think this movie will be well loved, definitely have some Garfield vibes here

2 minutes ago, Plasme said:

Sorry, computer sent the message before I finished to type it. 😅

• My Emmerdoods 1

6 minutes ago, Plasme said:

People enjoy things ironically?

What is this madness?!

4 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

People enjoy things ironically?

What is this madness?!

Well admittedly thats me with the Twilight series.

God awful books yes but man entertaining heck :D

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I'll eat my shoe.

• Chuckle 3