Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Gangsters Paradise is on Page 380)

1 hour ago, Jango said:

Just wanted to post this to the people that think this "doesn't look as bad as I thought":

The render was made by God of War (PS4) art director, and the poster montage was made by BossLogic.

Just compare this with the design Paramount came up with. It's exactly same idea, but miles better executed, even if turning Sonic realistic by adding fur and textures still isn't the best idea, at least Rafael's design is not offensive and respects the source material. And BossLogic's idea for a poster mimicking a Master Syster cover art is simple, yet so genius.

Ehhhhh. No.  That looks worse than v the actual leaked movie render. It's way more off-putting and humanoid structured for starters. The chest doesn't help matters either. 

56 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Absolutely not. That looks like Michael Bay's version of Sonic and it is everything that people hate about this design dialed up to 11. I don't want Sonic to look like a linebacker with fur. Seriously, how the heck is that better than what we got?!?!? 

What is even the difference? Only things I see are the arm color, difference in quill numbers, one has the stupid side-mouth instead a more proper center mouth and one has gloves instead of white hand fur. But at the end of the day, both are nightmare fuels.

On 3/5/2019 at 2:26 PM, PeterPancake said:

...Not sure if serious? Y'all are complaining about him looking like a guy in a suit... But this is LITERALLY that. This render literally looks like a body builder wearing a fur suit. I actually hate this design. 

I just.. I can't. If this is what constitutes their idea "done right" I don't even...

Never said I find this design better, as I firmly still believe this movie shouldn't be live-action to begin with. I just said it's miles better executed. The beige fur mixes with the blue fur very smoothly, the body proportion is way more balanced as a whole (even if it looks more muscular, at least it isn't a giant ass head in a slim body) and it has the iconic gloves and shoes. It's better designed and it's closer to the source material, period.

9 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Looks around

No? Nobody? Alright...

D0_WfvjXQAAs1X0.jpg

Here's what TSSZ have apparently verified as another shot from the movie. It looks... well. 

I really am beginning to feel like somehow - every leak we get from this movie is just some kind of downgrade from the previous leak. First we have the film guide - alright, it looks bad, but it's not horrifically awful or anything. Then you have the raw model, that looks absolutely uncanny and creepy, but now you've got a shot of him straight in animation with a massively creepy grin to the audience. That smile does not look natural whatsoever, and the look in general seems so *bland* to me. Like, it looks like Sonic's meant to be giving a look of excitement or attitude or something here, but his eyes can't properly express that, instead just remaining in place, as if they took the game design literally and didn't realise Sonic has an eyelid to convey additional emotions.

I get that it's low quality and blurry too, but even if that was cleaned up, I really don't see how that could be appealing or attractive to anyone. It looks ridiculously creepy, and ironically, even more unrealistic than the game to me. It looks like a bootleg stuffed animal brought to life or something.

Err... to me it doesn't really look any worse then the film guide pics we got. Sure the mouth looks bad, but I assume it is just a awkward screenshot taken during him talking. I notice they seem to have removed the white fur between his eyes if this is the final model. Regardless no matter what Movie Sonic looks horrible to me in everything we've seen so far.

That new screenshot is properly horrid, wow.  And this is coming from somebody who thought the render it was based on didn't look too bad (though I repeat that the actual art is horrendous).  One of the greatest strengths of the Modern Sonic design is how good he looks from a front view, but this... well, we should never have seen the model from this angle.  And we should never have to say "we should never have seen the model from this angle," either!

The theory that this might actually be from the new Sonic cartoon is if anything yet more petrifying.

5786333C-35A8-43C6-BB44-CEE4C054C4FF.png

We thought we had it, Sonic was back on track and after Mania Sega FINALLY learned their lesson but ????? TF IS THIS???????

If this is the final straw that breaks the franchises back not an ounce of surprise will be squeezed out of me.

17 minutes ago, FFWF said:

The theory that this might actually be from the new Sonic cartoon is if anything yet more petrifying.

Not a theory I remotely believe in. This is still clearly Movie Sonic counting both his design and how the background is realistic too... i can't see SEGA making a realistic style animated TV series based after the movie.

I think this shot makes MUCH better use of colors compared to the washed out-looking full body shot that was leaked yesterday, which goes a long way in making it more a much more palatable design.  But unfortunately, not long enough to actually make the design palatable.

22 minutes ago, FFWF said:

That new screenshot is properly horrid, wow.  And this is coming from somebody who thought the render it was based on didn't look too bad (though I repeat that the actual art is horrendous).  One of the greatest strengths of the Modern Sonic design is how good he looks from a front view, but this... well, we should never have seen the model from this angle.  And we should never have to say "we should never have seen the model from this angle," either!

The environment looks a bit too lifelike to be from a cartoon. ..unless this is going to be a tie-in live action/CGI show, but.. they said animation. I don't think there's a need to worry about this particular scenario.

18 minutes ago, Chika Takami said:

If this is the final straw that breaks the franchises back not an ounce of surprise will be squeezed out of me

If I had a nickel.. no, this isn't going to be it. Still just a movie. It'll come and go. That fabled final straw would have to be a Sonic Team-made game.

48 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Looks around

No? Nobody? Alright...

D0_WfvjXQAAs1X0.jpg

Here's what TSSZ have apparently verified as another shot from the movie. It looks... well. 

...Why? 

I'm so done now. I want to say something good but I'm just coming up blank. Everything that comes out is seriously killing my interest more and more. 

It does not look that bad in my eyes. Sonic is one of the hardest characters to change for a live-action adoption. This is probably the best a person can do.

Maybe it's the angle but his head really does look huge. It's a strange design, but I won't nitpick it right now because I'm sure there's plenty of that.

Instead I will point out how childlike Sonic looks! I wonder what age he is supposed to be? I don't think this is the ~16 year old Modern Sonic we've seen in the 3D games. I'm thinking he's more like 10.

4 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

It looks like an awful made for TV CG cartoon show.

Blockbuster movie? Lol.

My first impression is they used that old-ass 'Howard the duck' movie as inspiration.

I think I figured out why the face looks so off to me. It's the shape of the mouth, it looks awful. It reminds me of a muppet character. It get worse the more you stare at it. 

1 hour ago, Tracker_TD said:

Looks around

No? Nobody? Alright...

D0_WfvjXQAAs1X0.jpg

yqeqa3aawilk498bg5s0.jpg

The comparison really makes you think, doesn't it... 🤔

Well, Sonic still doesn't (nor will he ever) look like a part of reality. If anything, this picture makes him stand out more, like a freakish animated character in the real world, something that only CGI could make. It's honestly a shame.

He actually looks like a bootleg figure, one that you'd find miscoloured in a Taiwanese shop or something. And I'm not sure teddy bear mouth is working for him; If anything, it makes him look less like Sonic.

To be perfectly honest, and I need to emphasise this:

I did not recognise him as Sonic until the post said so.

why can't we have a sonic movie? why do executives think their decisions override anything?

please, it actually hurts