Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

They'll make a "Blue Lives Matter" joke and it'll the most glorious trainwreck in cinema history.

Maybe that's why they made Tom a cop. 🤔

• Thumbs Up 1

The designs are not final because the full body one Is an artistic render and the running one is an old one from when the movie was first pitched. 

Sonic will end up looking pretty close to the full body render. The poster is the final render and the promo art from the merch gives us a good idea of the final design. Complete with white hands 

15 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

The designs are apparently not final. This would explain a lot of things:

1. The feedback post. Are they actually willing to listen to fans?

2. The CGI not being finished right now as the rumor said.

3. Strategic leaks to gain feedback? Not sure about this one.

How many times do we have to go over this?

No, they aren't changing the design. It would cost too much money to do so, and already has destroyed consumer interest by upsetting a lot of people, including the original creators. You don't just do that for the sake of feedback, not at this point, and not by the point you've got a movie out in a few months and a supposed finished cut of it. Beyond minor alterations, it would cost too much money. If you want to use the feedback card, you should be showing concept art and such long before the point they did.

Secondly, the CGI not being finished is 95% likely true. That however isn't proof of the leak being real, and not proof of a design change. It's called a workprint, and it's an unfinished cut of a movie where the editing has been done but the effects, and CG are not. Every movie has this, and a lot of them are likely used for test screenings. With knowledge of workprints, you can use that to bullshit another detail to make your "leak" sound authentic as the one key thing of a workprint is that CGI is never completed, and the effects work is bare minimum. It's also through workprints that many big name movies have been leaked and pirated in the past 20 years before the official release - such as X-Men Origins Wolverine and Star Wars Episode 3.

Key example:

• Thumbs Up 2

I got a response back from this leaker after reaching out to them.

There is no solid proof that the leaker could provide.

Please take this leak as a rumour, not as fact.

EDIT: The account has now been deleted, too. This rumour ends here, and we must wait for the official trailer to get the truth. Please understand.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 2

Not final could be as little as still deciding how big the white between the eyes  is.

Tails Channel is not saying it will drastically change, it will look closer to the style guide, aka the least horrible, with some tweaks possibly (please eyes).

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Tails Channel is not saying it will drastically change, it will look closer to the style guide, aka the least horrible, with some tweaks possibly (please eyes).

You mean like this?

• Thumbs Up 6

Gonna put in my thoughts on this thing about the designs not being final.

I could believe that the CGI renders are unfinished no problem. The style guide stuff is far more iffy territory. On one hand, it's unprofessional for a company to give an unfinished design to companies looking to produce merchandise to promote the film. This would mean this unfinalized look for Sonic would be what's plastered on toy shelves and whatnot... which is not a very good way to properly represent your film.

On the other hand... this is something Paramount has done before, giving companies a design for a character that isn't final, but close enough. I'm referring to the first Bayformers and even most recently, Bumblebee.

When Transformers 2007 was coming out, Megatron had a different face compared to how he was in the finished film.

latest?cb=20140405141216

200px-Movie_Megatron_olduglyface.jpg

These were some of the revisions made during production before fan backlash caused the face to be modified for the final film.

transformers_poster_2007_04.jpg

Although the original art can be seen on some merchandise back in 2007, which means Paramount's Style Guide for the original Transformers movie included these Megatron renders.

r_megatronleader111.jpg

Even the toys arguably contained aspects of Megatron's look before the face was set in stone.

The same happened with last year's Bumblebee.

l-226637.jpg

813TqAZMVNL._SX425_.jpg

Merch and toys had this design where Bumblebee's doors stuck out like wings, kinda like how it was in the Bay films. But if you saw the real movie...

bumblebee-e1543864255280.jpg

The wings are folded in. Which means Paramount still had this habit of distributing incomplete designs to other marketing firms and the guys in charge of making merchandise. So the same could happen with Sonic. We could get a tweaked look for the blue blur that not even the style guide can portray.

Only time will tell.

• Thumbs Up 8

The style guide shouldn't be taken as gospel for how the render will look - the style guide is still portrayed as if you were drawing a realistic character as an animated entity, allowing it to be more expressive, coloured, and dynamic with it's poses and design. While still looking uncanny, the reason the style guide looks the least worst out of all the renders we have is because it's animated and shows off the details of the design better than the actual renders, and doesn't given Sonic such a completely dead-eyed look to him.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

Is it weird that this is kind of a relief to me? Like I feel so much better right now especially after hearing it's more like the Style Guide design which still isn't good but far more acceptable than the other 2.

• Thumbs Up 3

9 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

You mean like this?

the edit one looks pretty freaking good, man it would have been awesome if they went with that. It makes the mouth also work better in a way.

• Thumbs Up 4

13 minutes ago, Failinhearts said:

On one hand, it's unprofessional for a company to give an unfinished design to companies looking to produce merchandise to promote the film.

Well it may be unprofessional. Now CGE has previously worked in the industry and can confirm that this kind of thing usually happens.

But like I've been saying. If the design isn't final, then we'll likely see it in the next couple weeks.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wait, if we know that this is not the actual design. Then, how do we know that the design seen in the style guide is not the final design? Is there a source for that? I'm kinda confused.

2 minutes ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

Well it may be unprofessional. Now CGE has previously worked in the industry and can confirm that this kind of thing usually happens.

But like I've been saying. If the design isn't final, then we'll likely see it in the next couple weeks.

Of course. Doesn't make it any less unprofessional but it has to happen when you wanna get a product out ASAP, I guess. Just a trend I noticed with these Paramount movies and probably more movies in general.

Just saying why the claims of it being not the final design could and potentially couldn't be true.

• Thumbs Up 3

Unless the movie licensed merch and adds uses a different design than the movie itself on purpose, which would make no sense, it is final. Unless that's an old version of the style guide...  If the movie uses an updated version of the model seen in the guide, the poor designer will have to change and update everything xD I hate when this happens on my work :X

• Thumbs Up 3

I was REALLY wondering if that leaked Kids Choice Awards picture was an old and outdated version of Sonic's look, and I'm glad to see that such was indeed the case.

Honestly, I hope he ends up looking like the branding guide version in the final product. That one was my favorite of all of the 'leaks'.

• Thumbs Up 2

From what I know, usually when people say that the CGI isn't in a finished state, they're referring to more subtle details.  Coloring, texturing, lighting, etc.  Maybe some minor anatomical details will be worked out, too, but generally speaking, it's almost certainly going to look pretty much like what we've seen already.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's actually right there in the leaked pictures that there's been some changes made to the design over time. Look at Sonic's shoes in the leaked full body pic compared to the "selfie" bridge poster that's been popping up in cinemas. Notice the white soles on the shoes aren't present on the leaked model. Not exactly a revolutionary tweak but a tweak none the less.

Unless the powers that be were shaken beyond belief at the backlash to the initial poster reveal, I'm pretty much certain that any changes that have gone on won't affect his overall silhouette so he'll still have the weird proportions and no gloves. Given that the style guide is still using sketches rather than the cg model it would suggest it was made fairly early on, though I expect it was after these sketches were greenlit for final production.

• Thumbs Up 9

The post was deleted.

Highly doubt it, but did anyone copy and paste what he said, or have an archive of it? I don't want to ask for a summary of what he said because there might have been missing details.

And I am aware that this could likely be fake.

I'll be honest, the more and more I look at it... The more "appealing" it becomes for me. Not that it makes it "good", but I've seen a fair bit of other character redesigns that I still think look horrendous to this day.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Highly doubt it, but did anyone copy and paste what he said, or have an archive of it? I don't want to ask for a summary of what he said because there might have been missing details.

Spoiler

JaxoJacobLebeau

2 points · 33 minutes ago

Hey, just wanna let you know that this is spreading on twitter and such...so you better try to verify that this is legit in anyway you can...

level 2

[deleted]

1 point · 28 minutes ago

Doubters are gonna be there either way. If it is blowing up I Prob will be stepping away anyway for safety lol. Not trying to ruin or get anyone in trouble. Email is super basic so I don't think it'll stop anyone from doubting.

level 1

xMoac

2 points · 1 hour ago

Is the World that Sonic comes from a different planet or dimension? Are there humans on Sonics home planet?

level 1

SonicCuriosity

2 points · 1 hour ago

At what point in the movie does the town come together to help the sheriff save sonic?

level 2

[deleted]

1 point · 41 minutes ago

the fight scene ends up back in Montana via the rings and they somewhat help by getting robotniks attention. Sonic then super electro charges and knocks doc into a ring which sends him to another planet and they technically win for now

level 1

ZombieBrideXD

1 point · 1 hour ago

Cringiest moment?

level 2

[deleted]

2 points · 43 minutes ago

sonix flossing. Kids were dying of laughter which I understand is the point. That's not my sonic lol

level 3

ChillSofa

Taker of Leaks

1 point · 12 minutes ago

I hope for Sonic’s reputation and old sonic fans sanity’s sake they cut that bit out and just include it as a deleted scene on blu ray lol

level 4

[deleted]

1 point · 7 minutes ago

Lol doubt it. It's family aimed and itll give parents something to relate about with their kids when they go to the stores and buy those Christmas toys

level 5

ChillSofa

Taker of Leaks

1 point · 6 minutes ago

That’s a good point sadly. Oh well, can’t wait to see all the memes and songs pasted over that scene haha. I wonder, does he do it in like a short 3 second burst, or is it just a full on, more than 30 second scene of him doing the deed?

level 1

PM_ME_PICS_OF_BREAD

2 points · 1 hour ago

what does he look like? Is he close to the video game designs of him?

level 2

[deleted]

2 points · 1 hour ago

Pretty much the recent leaks are as accurate was what was shown before the film. Film was work in progress so it was basic sonic designs and low res animation for cgi

level 1

SonicCuriosity

2 points · 1 hour ago

Which action movie, or any movie, do you compare it to?

Based off what you have seen.

level 1

tntmaster151

2 points · 1 hour ago

Does sonic's movie model look better in motion than it does in the leaked illustrations?

level 2

[deleted]

3 points · 1 hour ago

Animation wasn't done so can't really comment. The intro piece did show current final sonic and it more or less was the one in the recent leak.

level 1

ninjasonic102

2 points · 2 hours ago

Well this is good to hear, it seems about as good as I figured it might be. Keeping expectations low n stuff but this doesn't sound all that bad

level 1

LSMark_

2 points · 2 hours ago

Hey, I've got a short list, It'd be cool if you could answer them;

1 - How do Sonic and Tom meet? Is it a case where they immediately become friends or do they hate each other at first and slowly grow a bond?

2 - Around how long was the movie?

3 - Were there actual stakes or did it not take itself seriously at all?

Thanks.

level 2

[deleted]

2 points · 1 hour ago

Tom has racoon problems in his trash. When he sees sonic face to face for the first time. He tranqs him and puts him in a cage. Robotnik shows up and they escape and Tom begrudgingly agrees to help. His main concern is moving to SF to prove to himself that he can handle real cop crime and not Montana small world problems. You see it early on for character dev. 2. Movie was like 90 or so. Didn't start and stop on time due to QA after. Didn't have phone either to really see. 3. There were stakes and it balanced between a fam adventure and action movie

level 3

LSMark_

2 points · 1 hour ago

Thanks a lot

level 4

[deleted]

2 points · 1 hour ago

No problem at all.

level 1

Saucefest6102

2 points · 2 hours ago

u/ViewerAnon, any thoughts on this?

level 2

[deleted]

2 points · 1 hour ago

Feel free to ask away. I won't spoil without the proper formats either

level 3

Saucefest6102

2 points · 1 hour ago

Did you catch how long the movie lasted?

level 4

[deleted]

2 points · 1 hour ago

Not completely. I'd say around 90 or so. It didn't start exactly on a time and phones were locked up. Apple watches too. Felt like a caveman lol

level 1

olivier_wmv

1 point · 2 hours ago

Do you see eggman

level 1

JaxoJacobLebeau

2 points · 3 hours ago

If you actually saw the movie, could you provide any screenshots you have

level 2

[deleted]

2 points · 2 hours ago

I did see it. Phones were locked in magnetic sealed bags however.

level 3

JaxoJacobLebeau

1 point · 1 hour ago

I'll play along..do you have the email still? Could you show a screenshot

level 4

[deleted]

2 points · 1 hour ago

I'll Ask my buddy for it. It didnt contain specific information so not sure how it'll clear any questions you have. Feel free to doubt it though. Just trying to ease people's minds on the film.

level 5

JaxoJacobLebeau

2 points · 46 minutes ago

It'll be enough to at the very least make it seem more legit...especially if it's from a legit source.

level 2

JaxoJacobLebeau

1 point · 3 hours ago

Also, be honest, are you making this up

level 1

SonicCuriosity

2 points · 9 hours ago

BIG QUESTION: There were some leaks regarding the movies plot on 4chan, were they real?

Sonic becoming a viral sensation online.

The Golden Incan Rings involvement

Unrecognizable Robotnik

Post Credit Scene with tails

level 2

[deleted]

2 points · 3 hours ago

1 he doesn't become a viral sensation outside of his small Montana town 2.rings have a large part as they can allow sonic to teleport 3. It's an origins so he doesn't rock the flight suit until the end and it's more Grey with some red 4. No mention or hint at tails. Only post scene is with robotnik getting fat and growing the full blown mustache.

level 1

TheGreatCEAON

0 points · 12 hours ago

Until I see the evidence, I hold many doubts about the authenticity of this.

level 2

[deleted]

2 points · 3 hours ago

I'll get the email but I'll need to scrub any Metadata as there was an NDA and I'm not trying to get him or myself in trouble. It doesn't mention anything however to the film. Just states PG film from Hollywood. As further partial proof, the reason you see sonic on the Golden Gate Bridge is because his rings end up there after meeting Tom(Donut Lord) and drops the bag after activating the tele portal power

level 3

RockstheSquirrel

1 point · 8 minutes ago

TBH, the positive review is nice but I am just wondering why you would risk this all to say this being under an NDA. I am sure they have a list of all who attended as well as you now logged into Reddit which most likely has your IP logged. There has also been many sites rating VPNs and how they as well log your IPs. I would say that your risking more then you know you are.

level 1

Kitsu66

3 points · 12 hours ago

Just curious. Were there tons of car chases and product placement?

level 2

[deleted]

2 points · 4 hours ago

Just one major car chase scene/battle. Sonic floss dances after and kids ate that shit up. only real product placement is olive garden there's a few references to it. Tom also gets a gift card at the end from the gov dude who initially brings robotnik into the picture

level 3

mrtriceratops123

2 points · 3 hours ago

he what

level 4

[deleted]

2 points · 3 hours ago

It sounds just as silly as it was lol

level 5

Kitsu66

2 points · 42 minutes ago

Ok, thanks. Also, I have another question, you know the girl played by Tika Sumpter. What was her official name, and did she do in the movie?

level 6

[deleted]

2 points · 35 minutes ago

she plays Tom's wife. She's a vet and since she was known to sonic when he watched them from afar as being kind to animals. He felt he could trust them both. Name was Annie

level 7

Kitsu66

1 point · 17 minutes ago

Ok. Did they used a car to drive to San Francisco?

level 8

[deleted]

1 point · 16 minutes ago

yes. They used Tom's Tacoma. It gets the top chopped off by docs drones and leads to the conflict between sonic and Tom

level 1

Flodo_McFloodiloo

3 points · 13 hours ago

So ok; I'll treat this as true and ask questions:

Of past Robotnik portrayals, which does Carrey's resemble most?

Were there badniks; that is goofy-lookimg robot enemies?

Did this movie reference any memes?

level 1

LumpyFudge

2 points · 13 hours ago

Are there robots in this?

level 2

[deleted]

2 points · 4 hours ago

he has drones that can track and shoot. Also has a larger tank like one that they have a large action scene on the way to SF

level 1

SonicCuriosity

2 points · 13 hours ago

Little worried about the movie being defined as cheesy mostly, if this info is true.

Most "cheesy" movies are not received well...

level 1

Blueknight_V2

2 points · 13 hours ago

So does Sonic's design change over the course of the film? Since Eggman/Robotnik gets his game design toward the end, does that apply to Sonic's game design appear as well?

level 1

Mando-19

3 points · 13 hours ago

does sonic fight anyone in the movie? what is the climax? does sonic wear any clothes? thanks again!

level 1

Mando-19

2 points · 13 hours ago

Are Tails and Knuckles in the movie?

level 2

[deleted]

3 points · 4 hours ago

no. Not even a slight hint. Hoping they do a post credits tease and not the one shown with robotnik

level 3

Mando-19

2 points · 3 hours ago

Thank you for the reply!

level 1

Crocospyle

2 points · 14 hours ago

I'm still skeptical about any rumors at this point, but--out of curiosity--would you say the movie was similar to the Alvin & the Chipmunks/Smurfs movies or was it kinda its own thing? Also, how would you describe the humor in this move (self-aware, punny, potty-humor, etc)?

level 1

RedandTheMultiverse

3 points · 14 hours ago

What was Sonic's personality? What happened to him at the end? Does he have an Aura when he runs, and what eater eggs were there.

level 1

andzlatin

3 points · 14 hours ago

Does Sonic run with the power of electricity, like displayed in the posters? How does that exactly work?

level 2

[deleted]

3 points · 4 hours ago

he does only when he focuses or extremely emotional. His charged run is why he gets detected and how doc comes into the film.

level 1

KingMario05

3 points · 14 hours ago

Do other characters show up or is it just the Sonic and Eggman show?

level 1

pallyb

3 points · 15 hours ago · edited 8 hours ago

Does the human stuff end up overtaking the sonic stuff? Live action adaptations like this always have difficulty in balancing the new human characters with the characters that people actually wanna see, and so they always end up feeling like the characters just walked onto the set of completely different film.

Basically, does this film ever feel something like a movie starring humans with Sonic's arc and story being treated as a mere subplot? Or is this, without a doubt, Sonic's story through and through, where the human's subplots don't ever feel like they overtake it?

level 2

[deleted]

3 points · 14 hours ago

Sonic and Tom end up helping each other solve their personal conflicts. They balanced sonic and Tom pretty well and they are a good duo.

level 3

pallyb

4 points · 14 hours ago · edited 14 hours ago

One more thing, how is Sonic's characterisation in this? What aspects did they ended up changing about his character here, if they changed any at all? Mainly asking this one cos of that "juvenile delinquent" quote from a while ago

level 1

Spiderlander

3 points · 15 hours ago

Also, are Sonic's friends in the movie

level 2

[deleted]

3 points · 14 hours ago

no. Only Tom

level 3

Spiderlander

0 points · 14 hours ago

Awww :(

level 1

Spiderlander

2 points · 15 hours ago

Is it PG-13? I heard they were going for a Bayturtles vibe with crude language

level 1

TheFieryScar91

3 points · 15 hours ago

Is there any proof that you are the real deal and aren’t just making stuff up, just to make sure lol

level 2

[deleted]

7 points · 15 hours ago

Read my prev replies. I can get the email but it didn't state anything related to the film. It was conducted by third party for feedback. I can without a doubt tell you I made this account to help out sonic bros that wanna riot cause he doesn't look like he did in the 90s lol.

level 1

FiRE_MUNki

2 points · 15 hours ago

How good were the action scenes and special effects in the movie?

PS: Cheers for doing the AMA

level 2

[deleted]

5 points · 15 hours ago

Action scenes were great in story telling and execution wise. Effects weren't complete so a lot of it was still early cgi and the hidden actors playing sonic. At one point he was just a blue doll on the counter lol

level 3

FiRE_MUNki

2 points · 12 hours ago · edited 11 hours ago

It's interesting that it's not far off release date yet still so many effects have to be done, I suppose that's the wonders of modern day cgi enhanced movies.

*So do you reckon the cinematography is looking interesting (ie. not your standard Bayhem shakey cam)?

And wow I wish more movies would release versions like this. Regardless of the movie's quality it would be really interesting to watch and see the development early stages of the movie to get an idea how the movie is put together.

*Any interesting/funny moments at the viewing unrelated to the movie?

Thanks again Shreksdonkey57, actually looking forward to the movie again, seems like at least it'll be a fun ride _^

level 4

[deleted]

3 points · 3 hours ago

Kids ate up the comedy scenes and lighter themed stuff. They didn't take themselves too seriously with it and it shows. Not a bad thing either. It's light hearted and full of scenes to keep you interested. Funny part with seeing the unfinished was the action scenes. There's a scene where sonic gets out of Tom's Tacoma and goes to close the door. You see the sonic.jpg moving to close the door and the guy in the blacked out skin costume move to close the door and then sit still like his life depended on it lol

level 5

FiRE_MUNki

1 point · 3 hours ago

Lol that sounds hilarious

level 6

[deleted]

1 point · 2 hours ago

It was fun seeing the unfinished film. Makes going back and comparing them really fun lol

level 1

TigerClaw305

2 points · 15 hours ago

Can you tell us about the music? Junkie XL recently confirmed that's hes working on the score. But usually in these test screening. I believe they have placeholder music. As the actual score isn't done yet.

level 2

[deleted]

3 points · 15 hours ago

It was placeholder for sure.

level 1

TheFieryScar91

3 points · 15 hours ago

How did exactly Sonic get his shoes from, does Tom give it to him or does he just have them? was There also an owl in the story too? How much does Tom take up for screentime wise? And does he get any gloves in this movie or are his hands just white. If any if not all these questions get asked, Thank You!

level 2

[deleted]

6 points · 15 hours ago

He pretty much scavenges and lives in the shadows. He is known as the blue devil to the locals until he is found out about. Most people thought he was an urban legend. The owl is in the film. Don't wanna ruin that for anyone though.

level 3

mrtriceratops123

2 points · 14 hours ago

..."the owl"?

level 4

[deleted]

3 points · 14 hours ago

She's the one that saves him as a baby. See my spoiler marked posts for more info.

level 1

SteakSauce54

2 points · 15 hours ago

Was there a city escape scene?

level 2

[deleted]

6 points · 15 hours ago

Yes.

level 3

SteakSauce54

2 points · 15 hours ago

Thank you, another question, did tails or any other characters besides eggman show up?

level 1

SonicCuriosity

2 points · 15 hours ago

There was the mention of a tearjerker moment.

Is this true and can you elaborate?

level 2

[deleted]

4 points · 15 hours ago

There was death early on and that could be it as he is then on his own on Earth. Was hard to get emotionally attached as the animation wasn't done so kept the immersion at bay a bit.

level 1

ohno2100

2 points · 15 hours ago

Is there a huge final fight scene in the movie? Also how’s the agent character? And does Sonic learn how to spin dash in the movie? How's the acting for Tom? Is he enjoyable?

level 2

[deleted]

5 points · 15 hours ago

Yeah there's a good scene between doc and the good guys. The agent if you are referring to robotnik's right hand man. He's pretty funny and total crony role. He does spin dash too. Tom was really enjoyable. Fun and backwoods kind of smart. He wants to prove to himself that he can make it as a big city cop

level 3

ohno2100

2 points · 15 hours ago

Nice!

level 1

RandomRedditor44

2 points · 15 hours ago

Do you have proof you saw it early?

level 2

[deleted]

3 points · 15 hours ago

I'm gonna get my buddy to send the rsvp email and I can send it to ogg for proof. Not sure how it'll help since the movie isn't mentioned though. Only remember it saying PG release etc

level 1

TigerClaw305

2 points · 15 hours ago

How does the movie display Sonic's speed? Are there any super slow motion scenes like the Quicksilver scenes from the X-Men movies? Sonic moving so fast. That everything else appears slow?

level 2

[deleted]

4 points · 15 hours ago

Pretty much how you described it. Bar fight scene is pretty comical with him using his powers to help Tom out.

level 3

SonicCuriosity

2 points · 14 hours ago

You might be telling the truth...

One of the cast members is a rowdy bar folk member.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3794354/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

level 4

[deleted]

2 points · 4 hours ago

sonic creates an Earth bucket list after Tom agrees to help him get his rings back. Sonic sneaks off while Tom makes a phone call in a backwoods gas station. Sonic creates a ruckus and then bar fight ensues. Big bald dude gets tossed through a window then again by doc after they catch up to the last known sighting of sonic.

level 3

TigerClaw305

2 points · 15 hours ago

Ok that's good to know.

level 1

Karbide

3 points · 17 hours ago

Recent 'leaks' show Sonic with Nike branded shoes, so in the movie are they branded and if so which brand?

During the movie how did they try to make sure no one took screenshots/video using a phone or camera?

level 2

[deleted]

5 points · 16 hours ago

Shoes were generic looking as his animation wasn't done. They were beat up until he gets new ones

level 1

VoteRepublicanAgain

2 points · 17 hours ago

How the hell did you see it? Doesn’t it release in November this year & there’s legal stuff where you can’t tell us anything?

This has got to be a joke for sure.

level 2

mrtriceratops123

2 points · 17 hours ago

There were test screenings recently, which this guy claims to have been at

level 3

[deleted]

4 points · 15 hours ago

Not claim. I did go. Just looking out for fellow sonic fans. Not trying to brag or ruin the movie. I still hate the guy that ruined Harry Potter on release date lol.

level 4

tailsBOOM92

1 point · 11 hours ago

Wait... First you said you didn't know which movie. Now you're saying you were looking out for fellow Sonic fans. Which is it

level 5

[deleted]

1 point · 4 hours ago

I didn't know which film was going to be shown. I figured it would have been how to train your dragon as we were aware is was only PG film from Hollywood studios etc. After seeing the film, I felt like I should at least inform other fans of the franchise that it wasn't bad like how people are assuming.

level 4

mrtriceratops123

3 points · 15 hours ago

I said "claim" just in case you are't telling the truth. No offense, I do actually believe you, but there's no sure way of knowing for sure until we see something like Eggman wearing a longcoat.

Either way, it'll ease my skepticism for a bit, so thank you.

level 5

[deleted]

6 points · 15 hours ago

No worries. Didn't mean for it to come off cunty lol. For Jim his outfit was typical all dark evil scientist. Picture like gru with a long dark coat. He doesn't rock the flight suit until towards the end.

level 1

mrtriceratops123

7 points · 20 hours ago

Was Robotnik referred to as Eggman at all, and were there any references to the games or other Sonic media that you remember?

level 2

[deleted]

5 points · 17 hours ago

No real mentions for Eggman. Not too heavy for other media from what we were shown.

level 1

Apollyon_Man

6 points · 20 hours ago

How cheesy on a scale of edam to kraft?

level 2

[deleted]

4 points · 18 hours ago

Like 7/10 for cheese. It's geared towards new fans with respect for the older peeps. Just go into it knowing that new kids will fall in love like we all did at one point

level 3

reedemerofsouls

2 points · 4 hours ago

If you had to compare it to a movie you've seen before, which one would you compare it to?

A lot of people referenced Alvin and the chipmunks or the smurfs, was it like that?

level 4

[deleted]

3 points · 3 hours ago

Id say it is more TMNT with reference to story and action balance. It's a solid mix between engaging action which continues to develop the bromance between sonic and Tom

level 5

reedemerofsouls

2 points · 3 hours ago

You mean the first of the new ones right? I mean not that this is the be all end all but it has a 22% on RT. Most of us would not call that encouraging if it's that quality.

If you just mean in terms of what they're aiming for, then that seems better.

level 6

[deleted]

3 points · 3 hours ago

Its definitely being targeted towards youth demo. It seems their goal is to intro sonic to the next Gen of fans. More so with access to their parents wallets for spin off merch and happy meal toys. I enjoyed it similar to seeing transformers. Don't expect the green mile storytelling but turn your brain off and just enjoy for what it is. The cast does a great job

level 1

Flanderskii

3 points · 20 hours ago

How does this movie compare to other video game movies?

level 1

ACkuss

1 point · 21 hours ago

how does sonic look in motion? Does he look anything at all like the Kids Choice Awards leak? (I hope not)

level 2

[deleted]

4 points · 18 hours ago

Animation was not done so it was very basic design. He looked like the minecraft version of sonic in terms of res lol

level 3

ACkuss

1 point · 17 hours ago

Huh, that’s odd. Hopefully they will show that in some sort of DVD with Bonus Features.

level 1

ThePackLeaderWolfe

2 points · 21 hours ago

How did you see the movie?

level 2

[deleted]

6 points · 18 hours ago

Went as a guest to a screening. All we we informed of was that it was PG from a Hollywood studio. I figured it was going to be something coming out sooner. Pleasantly surprised though.

level 2

[deleted]

5 points · 21 hours ago

Went as a guest for a random movie preview. Ended up being sonic

level 3

reedemerofsouls

1 point · 14 hours ago

How do you get into something like that

level 4

[deleted]

1 point · 4 hours ago

Not sure. I was just a guest with a pal. He does shit like this all the time.

level 1

K_BSphere

3 points · 22 hours ago

Treating this as a hoax until it can be confirmed.

level 2

[deleted]

4 points · 21 hours ago

Feel free to PM 😘I can tell you it all if you want

level 3

Zerio920

3 points · 19 hours ago

Nah he'll see once the movie comes out

level 4

[deleted]

5 points · 18 hours ago

No worries. I'm trying to not spoil and answer spoiler esque questions. Just want to assure other fans that they did alright with this.

level 5

skipbaelish13

3 points · 17 hours ago

Amen!

level 1

RandomKonong

3 points · 22 hours ago · edited 22 hours ago

So which design leak is closest to the one in the movie? The one where Sonic is running on a road with a closeup, or is it the tall one that got leaked a day earlier with white fur instead of gloves?

Also: How do you think fans will receive the movie? Negative/Positive?

level 2

[deleted]

5 points · 21 hours ago

Closest is the one this week mixed with the poster stuff. That running one seems early on

level 3

randomsonicfan

2 points · 8 hours ago

Can you tell me one thing, since I assume your saying none of the leaks are the final design...

Is the final design nice? You can give a yes or no answer, I don't need details.

just tell me if it looks better than all the previous leaks or not? Does it look a lot more like sonic?

level 4

[deleted]

3 points · 3 hours ago

So with what was asked and the unfinished cgi. I can only assume they make some changes to his look. From the small scene I saw with "final" is he is more of less the ones that were leaked earlier this week. No clue on the Nikes as his shoes were just the generic red ones.

level 3

RandomKonong

2 points · 18 hours ago

Thanks dude, my hopes for the movie are now restored!

level 1

___Moufasa___

5 points · 1 day ago

Without trying to give spoilers, how is the dialogue like in this film? And did the film meet your expectations?

level 2

[deleted]

5 points · 23 hours ago

I had no clue or idea on how it would turn out. Totally met and outdid what I thought. Dialogue starts cheesy but gets better. Acting seemed off initially but fixes later on

level 1

misophonic

5 points · 1 day ago

Should we stay in our seats until after the credits?

level 2

[deleted]

7 points · 1 day ago

Only had one post credit scene currently but it was one of those right after the credits start. Lights came on after and we provided feedback. Sets up for more movies in a nice way

level 3

Timemaster4732

3 points · 23 hours ago

What was in the post credits scene?

level 4

[deleted]

8 points · 22 hours ago

Robotnik is defeated and ends up on a foreign planet that Sonic was supposed to escape to in the event of being found on earth. He is now hefty and rocking the full blown stache

level 5

KingMario05

3 points · 15 hours ago

Mobius? They do apparently have the comic rights...

level 5

jairluna98

4 points · 22 hours ago

is it assumed then that robotnik would return to a second part?

level 6

[deleted]

5 points · 21 hours ago

Yeah he will be full blown doc. This first film is the origins

level 7

VFacure

2 points · 18 hours ago

Will this become a sequence, then? I'm actually getting enthusiastic here

level 8

[deleted]

6 points · 17 hours ago

He gradually gets crazier and more obsessed with sonic as the film goes. Nice conversion from.the ego doc to full eggman

level 9

VFacure

2 points · 17 hours ago

Now that's full SatAMic from him. Kudos to Paramount, I believe.

level 1

andzlatin

4 points · 1 day ago

Does Sonic actually start off as a slow hedgehog? How does Sonic get trained to be stronger and faster? Also, can you tell me anything about those "special rings" in the film? Do they "replace" the Chaos Emeralds?

level 2

[deleted]

8 points · 1 day ago

Rings are how sonic got to earth. He can throw one and imagine a place and it will take him. He is fast from his first steps.

level 3

andzlatin

3 points · 1 day ago

But he won't be able to do everything in the beginning, will he? He will get more powerful as time goes on, isn't that what we were told by interviews? And that probably has to do with his young age. Also - how accurate is the 3D render from the recent leak?

level 4

[deleted]

7 points · 1 day ago

No. He definitely has to learn his abilities and powers. Render is close from the scene shown showing planned look. Anainaion wasn’t done so it was a low animation rendering mostly and blue doll in some scenes. Have a feeling design changes slightly from feedback given and asked. Pretty damn close from what I can recall

level 5

andzlatin

3 points · 1 day ago

Another question - how's the music like? Is it finished? And most importantly - did it have motives or melodies from the Sonic games?

level 6

[deleted]

7 points · 23 hours ago

Music wasn’t done so mostly placeholder stuff.

level 7

Timemaster4732

4 points · 23 hours ago

Are Chaos Emeralds in the movie?

level 8

[deleted]

6 points · 22 hours ago

None

level 1

jairluna98

6 points · 1 day ago

What look has Jim Carrey?

level 2

[deleted]

7 points · 1 day ago

He doesn’t rock the signature look until tail end of movie. Has the typical long coat and all dark evil scientist look. Short mustache as well initially

level 3

VFacure

3 points · 17 hours ago

Some cool Archie vibes coming from here, specially concerning Robotnik's early story as an Overlander.

Having Robotnik as a sleeping coup'er is a great concept.

level 3

jairluna98

3 points · 1 day ago

How good is jim in the role ?

level 4

[deleted]

7 points · 1 day ago

He kills it. Total classic Jim with the over the top. He’s awesome as the egomaniac

level 1

RodneyOgg

Hopelessly Optimistic

5 points · 1 day ago

Does Ben sound like Ben, or is he putting on a voice to try and sound more like Sonic? I think I'm probably more excited for his performance than I am for Jim's, though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't very curious.

level 2

[deleted]

7 points · 1 day ago

Slight acted voice but you can def still hear Ben overall. He nails the role and surprisingly so does majority of the cast.

level 3

RodneyOgg

Hopelessly Optimistic

4 points · 1 day ago

This is exactly what I was hoping for! When I heard he was cast, I knew it was the best and only choice.

level 4

[deleted]

8 points · 1 day ago

Lots of humor and fun for all ages. Kids ate the comedy up. Sonic dances right after an short battle and kids about died laughing in the theater.

level 5

RandomKonong

3 points · 22 hours ago

Ooooooooo.... Are there any innuendoes that made people laugh? Are the jokes well done or are they done minion style?

level 6

[deleted]

7 points · 21 hours ago

Ehh not too heavy on adult content of sly jokes. Def aimed at family and young kids who can pull their parents wallets for merch

level 1

ReanimatedCat

5 points · 1 day ago · edited 1 day ago

What were your favorite moments and are there any references to the games? Also, could you post a basic outline of the plot sometime? Thank you!

level 2

[deleted]

8 points · 1 day ago

It’s a good balance between giving the old fans something but introducing him to kids. I went in not knowing it was gonna be screened or any expectations. Cheesy but enjoyed it from start to finish. Jim Carrey kills the role.

level 3

ReanimatedCat

3 points · 1 day ago · edited 1 day ago

Would you mind giving a short summary of the story?

level 4

[deleted]

10 points · 1 day ago

sonic escapes his birth planet and grows up on earth. Ends up alone after some time and grew Up staying hidden. Loneliness gets to him which leads to govt bringing in robotnik to find out the energy disturbance caused by sonic. Hijinks ensue and a good story is told. Tom and sonic become besties

level 5

VFacure

2 points · 18 hours ago

Hey that's a really decent introduction for Robotnik.

What a relief

level 6

[deleted]

6 points · 17 hours ago

Yeah he's just a psycho super smart doc that works for the gov initially. They give him the power and he goes full Eggman lol. He's super obnoxiously smart too. Makes tons of comments in the film about how superior his brain is lol. Really fun role for Jim Carrey.

level 7

VFacure

1 point · 17 hours ago

A Darker but Fun Jim Carrey really is the perfect way to mix up dumb and funny Boom Eggman with Early-Archie Robotnik. Oh yes we're doing this.

level 5

ReanimatedCat

3 points · 1 day ago

How's the action?

level 6

[deleted]

7 points · 1 day ago

Animation wasn’t done completely but it was good from what was done so far. Good balance from story to action.

level 7

Timemaster4732

5 points · 23 hours ago · edited 23 hours ago

So it sounds like this movie isn't bad from what you say.

Is this film done in the style of a typical superhero film, and would this be a pg-13 film or a pg rated film? Is the recent leaked images of Sonic how he looks in the movie? Are there any other Sonic characters, or at least references/allusions to them?

Is G.U.N in the movie?

level 8

[deleted]

5 points · 22 hours ago

It’s def leaning on PG for sure. Recent leaks are def closest to what was shown as current final sonic design. Have a feeling it changes slightly. Don’t want to hint at characters cause it wasn’t finished. Nothing I saw but who knows with such a large gap between release date.

level 8

ChillSofa

Taker of Leaks

5 points · 23 hours ago

This is the only question(s) i want answered ^^^^

I asked him some questions. Here are the questions that I asked. Here are his responses.:

Spoiler

Just curious. Were there tons of car chases and product placement?

Just one major car chase scene/battle. Sonic floss dances after and kids ate that shit up. only real product placement is olive garden there's a few references to it. Tom also gets a gift card at the end from the gov dude who initially brings robotnik into the picture

Ok, thanks. Also, I have another question, you know the girl played by Tika Sumpter. What was her official name, and did she do in the movie?

she plays Tom's wife. She's a vet and since she was known to sonic when he watched them from afar as being kind to animals. He felt he could trust them both. Name was Annie

Ok. Did they used a car to drive to San Francisco?

yes. They used Tom's Tacoma. It gets the top chopped off by docs drones and leads to the conflict between sonic and Tom

I assume the truck that Tom owned he is talking about is this.:

Spoiler

v1wtfpwya6m11.jpg

Still not going to believe this, unless if there is proof.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was talking to my friend, and he made the point that this is basically a retelling of Superman's story in Sonic form, while Eggman is literally a carbon copy of Lex Luthor from Dawn of Justice: Batman v. Superman.  Also, there's no way there'd be that much schilling for Olive Garden lol.   That's like what Jacksepticeye does as a joke for Coke Zero to the point they've acknowledged it in a tweet, or that episode of American Dad where they constantly praise Burger King for the joke, too.  They wouldn't do that much for a single company, I mean eating there, talking about it and receiving a gift card?  This might as well be a Olive Garden ad lol.