Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

1 hour ago, DreamSaturn said:

This in and of itself is a bad defense because a lot of the possible reasons are terrible ones. The only one I can come to is  general incompetence from the film makers.

"We were tasked with making a movie about a giant blue hedgehog that runs fast, but we couldn't think of how, so we just smoked a bowl while watching some other movies."

• Chuckle 7

3 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

This in and of itself is a bad defense because a lot of the possible reasons are terrible ones. The only one I can come to is  general incompetence from the film makers.

Seriously, now you are insulting the filmmakers?

FOR SOMETHING YOU HAVE YET TO SEE FOR YOURSELF???

People are only ever going to judge this thing by A. Whether it looks good and B. Whether it looks like Sonic.

It doesn't look like Sonic, and it also doesn't look good. This is the opinion most people have here.

The creators' "intent", who the movie is being marketed to, this facade of "realism", whether it will be more "successful", this is all absolutely fucking meaningless in the face of something that looks neither accurate nor good. It's not "too early to judge", the writing has been on the wall for like four goddamn years. We're just seeing the results of every horrible mistake that was this movie's development cycle. If anything it's too late to judge. If they'd tried to get our reactions earlier in development we could have had a movie that was actually Sonic, and maybe even one that was actually good.

Probably not that second one, but possibly the first.

• Thumbs Up 9

I have trouble with the "it have too look realistic" for its proportion and shape, when the head looks to me even more cartoony than in the games... It create a bizarre mix that doesn't works well for me. It's too plush or toyish, and at the same time with a too pseudo-realistic body-shape. I really feel that they should have done something different, and a bit "the opposite", making maybe a bit less realistic the "body" in itself, and playing more with the head (like many of the good fan design done).

It's especially sad when Detective Pikachu managed to do the same basic thing (playing with "realistic cartoon creature") more successfully.

But at least, it's not the elderitch horror that I feared it would be. So it's not all bad ? Now let's see if the movie isn't bad in term of story and gfx, now that I know that the universe (or at least what we know of it) and the main character design aren't my cup of tea.

• Thumbs Up 4

To me, giving Sonic white hands is actually less grounded than just giving him gloves.  What's the reason for this bizarre physical adaptation?  Why is it just the hands and why are they such a starkly different colour?  The simple fact is that the only reason the hands are white is to homage the gloves, even though it makes no sense on its own.  So... why not just give him gloves.  For that matter, I would even have accepted it if they had just given him blue or skin-coloured hands, because while it wouldn't match the original design, it would be consistent internally.  The white hands don't exhibit that internal consistency.

As a point of contrast, I don't really mind the separated eyes and I sense that a lot of people don't because the result isn't actually that different; I'm not even sure there are any Sonic characters other than Sonic and his recolours (for want of a better term) who have joined eyes.  The white fur bridge between the eyes I likewise think is kind of a silly and unnecessary gesture and I don't mind if they don't include it.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

What's the reason for this bizarre physical adaptation?  Why is it just the hands and why are they such a starkly different colour?

I can't give a reason but on a quick look over my deviant art page I can cite some instances of glove fur but it is uncommon.

Ring-tailed Coati - black gloves.

Azara's Agouti - black gloves.

Squirrel Monkey - yellow gloves.

Painted dog - spotty white gloves.

Fennec Fox - off white gloves.

Canadian Timber Wolf - some light grey gloves.

Red Fox - black gloves.

Black & White Ruffed Lemur - black gloves (almost)

Domestication is where you really get the white glove fur effect with it occuring on dogs, cats, horses foxes and probably some others.

• Thumbs Up 3

Accepted, though it was kind of a rhetorical question (admittedly I should have worded it differently).  If it was Sonic the Fennec Fox I would be unable to register a complaint on this matter.  But I think my point stands that on the movie design as we presently know it the choice doesn't look natural and is clearly present purely in reference to the cartoon gloves.

(But will movie Sonic have white feet?)

Yeah I'm not feeling the design… there is no reason for these weird choices… actually in the interview after the silhouette they say "it's going to look weird if we don't do this". Well, it does look weird in fact, because they are changing Sonic's signature stuff just for the sake of it being different. Really… no actual reason. Plus it seems like they are really against the gloves? That may be the thing but I don't get it, why the white hands? It's just confusing and pointless.

I'm only gonna hold back judgement because of the feedback post at this point. Just… don't expect him to look like our Sonic, obviously it's still gonna feel different, but they might tweak some things, perhaps.

If the movie ends up sucking I'm gonna be totally jealous about Detective Pikachu, because a live-action adaptation that's good is actually possible.

What I don't get is: why are we giving the reddit rumor credit? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Taking this design and rolling with it for a moment. If they went ahead and gave him white fur on his hands as a compromise for the gloves, why on earth did they not do the same for his feet so that we'd have some white sticking out of the shoes, representing the socks? It'd make the design more consistent with its own logic, and stop the legs from looking so...bare.

• Thumbs Up 8

2 hours ago, Joy said:

Taking this design and rolling with it for a moment. If they went ahead and gave him white fur on his hands as a compromise for the gloves, why on earth did they not do the same for his feet so that we'd have some white sticking out of the shoes, representing the socks? It'd make the design more consistent with its own logic, and stop the legs from looking so...bare.

Yeah one of the weird things about this design is how naked it makes Sonic look.

I almost want them to give him some Boom Sonic sports tape and a scarf. Maybe that will make him look less naked. Or maybe it will make it worse.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/4/2019 at 9:48 PM, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I thought that pose looked familiar. 

Chill and Lickable

Um

On 3/4/2019 at 9:51 PM, PeterPancake said:

What if we got this?

I'd honestly prefer this. It looks so much better with beige arms 

He looks like something out of the Pony movie.

On 3/4/2019 at 10:03 PM, DreamSaturn said:

That's still not good looking, and somehow the beige arms makes it look worse with the rest of the body and how awkward it looks.

Yeah, that's probably why they didn't go with it.

On 3/4/2019 at 10:08 PM, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I would say it's better at least. The neck needs to be removed, the mouth needs fixing.... and would prefer the shoes replaced and socks added.

Saw this on Sonic Retro. Is getting closer to the right idea maybe.... Just add bigger eyes to go with it like from the other idea example. Mix both ideas together basically.

D02-0iLWsAAQXWs.jpg

What kinda accident was he in?

On 3/4/2019 at 10:36 PM, DiamondX said:

>"Chill  & lickable"

excuse me what

On 3/4/2019 at 10:41 PM, Sonicfan7 said:

*Insert Sonic ice cream bar here*

Ch'yeah, I thought that too.

On 3/4/2019 at 11:07 PM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I dunno. It sounds more like he's saying he wouldn't do it just because a ton of people would bother him about it. A ton more than usual in a way that he's unwilling to handle.

Plus, the stuff he draws is just as ugly. Like, the only positive thing I have to say about the few issues of his run on Archie that I do own is that he... let Sonic keep his gloves.  

Did he draw much during early Archie? I thought that was, like, Dave Manak and Art Mawhinny?

On 3/4/2019 at 10:03 PM, DreamSaturn said:

That's still not good looking, and somehow the beige arms makes it look worse with the rest of the body and how awkward it looks.

Yeah, that's probably why they didn't go with it.

On 3/4/2019 at 10:08 PM, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I would say it's better at least. The neck needs to be removed, the mouth needs fixing.... and would prefer the shoes replaced and socks added.

Saw this on Sonic Retro. Is getting closer to the right idea maybe.... Just add bigger eyes to go with it like from the other idea example. Mix both ideas together basically.

D02-0iLWsAAQXWs.jpg

What kinda accident was he in?

On 3/4/2019 at 10:36 PM, DiamondX said:

>"Chill  & lickable"

excuse me what

On 3/4/2019 at 10:41 PM, Sonicfan7 said:

*Insert Sonic ice cream bar here*

Ch'yeah, I thought that too.

On 3/4/2019 at 11:07 PM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I dunno. It sounds more like he's saying he wouldn't do it just because a ton of people would bother him about it. A ton more than usual in a way that he's unwilling to handle.

Plus, the stuff he draws is just as ugly. Like, the only positive thing I have to say about the few issues of his run on Archie that I do own is that he... let Sonic keep his gloves.  

Did he draw much during early Archie? I thought that was, like, Dave Manak and Art Mawhinny?

On 3/5/2019 at 12:26 AM, Skull Leader said:

Sorry Pen(dejo) Kenders, but as much as the movie design changes from the source material, at least it's something that does not rape my eyes like your god awful manimal monsters from THE MARY-SUE CHRONICLES.

Besides, it's not like Kenders did any better:

DFb0QJtUIAE6YLp?format=jpg&name=medium

Anyone who draws Sonic as hideous as this has no right to say shit on how others interpretate the character. At least they're making something, while after years and years, Kenders has nothing, zero, nada to show for his shitty characters over which he took Archie and Sega to court.

In short, he's just butthurt over Sega having rejected his vision for a movie so many years ago and it stings his petty little ego that it's someone else who got the project. What a sore loser.

He must've been using Sonic CD as reference. Geez.

On 3/5/2019 at 12:48 AM, Austroid said:

Its not terrible... but he kind of looks like a reject from those Skylanders games.

Image result for deadly six concept

2 hours ago, Spooky Mulder said:

Yeah one of the weird things about this design is how naked it makes Sonic look.

Meant to get to this sooner, but it's kind of funny that you say that since making him furry like this was so he wouldn't look naked.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Meant to get to this sooner, but it's kind of funny that you say that since making him furry like this was so he wouldn't look naked.

It is just how design theory works in general. The taller, bigger and more human shaped a character is, the far more naked they'll end up looking without clothes. It is why even Boom Sonic looks a bit more awkward and naked when compared to Modern or Classic Sonic... The Boom male anthro characters probably would had looked better with more clothes on honestly.

On 3/5/2019 at 11:26 AM, SonicLegends said:

That's the thing I don't get with how people are comparing Sonic's look to Pikachu given the latter has a more simple design from the get go 

Yeah, that's another good point.

Pikachu is supposed to be cute and thus is inherently rounded, so translating it was just a matter of either slightly adjusting it's proportions or staying close to the source material.

On 3/5/2019 at 11:26 AM, SonicLegends said:

That's the thing I don't get with how people are comparing Sonic's look to Pikachu given the latter has a more simple design from the get go and even then the Pokemon live action movie has some grossly disturbing Pokemon looking at Jigglypuff (who they shouldn't have had in the movie anyway as it just doesn't work for her sadly whatever they went with for design), Aipom and Ludicolo. Then they do have some fantastic designs like Mewtwo they did amazingly. 

I kinda got the sense they included some of them because they were going in whole mon and maybe even have said awkwardness in mind for audacity sake.

Wait, Aipom?

On 3/5/2019 at 11:34 AM, Meta77 said:

yea but seeing sonic run around with blood red feet is a bit more unsettling for the trade off of white fur hands.

What?

On 3/5/2019 at 11:34 AM, Mayor D said:

People who have spoken out in favour of the design.

Ken Penders - Attention seeker (tweet)

3 fans. <--- I couldn't find anymore who didn't have some problem with it.

I thought he wasn't too safe about the idea?

On 3/5/2019 at 11:36 AM, Razule said:

And if he randomly has Nike sneakers even though he comes from another world, then that's pretty unrealistic. Who knows, maybe we'll see barefeet Sonic running around for a while. Or maybe there's a Sonic world version of Nike who Sonic bought his shoes from. And then, why couldn't he, say, also buy some Nike gloves..?

Hide contents

Related image

Oh my goodness, why aren't they using what's lying around for them?

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

It is just how design theory works in general. The taller, bigger and more human shaped a character is, the far more naked they'll end up looking without clothes. It is why even Boom Sonic looks a bit more awkward and naked when compared to Modern or Classic Sonic... The Boom male anthro characters probably would had looked better with more clothes on honestly.

I think it has to do more with their body proportions looking more human like. For example Sally in the Archie comic at times had more defined body features that made her look like being a nude female wearing an animal head. 

On the other hand, Sonic's original design with his round body and noodle limbs made him look more like a cartoon animal no more different than Mickey Mouse or Felix the Cat, and something you'd hardly associate with being nude despite him only wearing gloves and shoes. That however is not the case of Sonic's movie design, which has a more defined male body proportions, except for his junk which probably exists in a higher dimension, hence why (luckily) it's not visible. : P

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/5/2019 at 11:53 AM, CaptainRobo said:

Another better design.:

"Oh shit, this is the movie that's happenin?"

On 3/5/2019 at 12:21 PM, Mayor D said:

Ian Flynn --- Archie Sonic Comic Writer, IDW Sonic Comic writer. 

You know I get the feeling he's not a fan either.

On 3/5/2019 at 12:25 PM, Mayor D said:

I don't think he likes it.

I love how he's just being a retired veteran about this.

On 3/5/2019 at 12:35 PM, Razule said:

Addidas would've been more fitting.

adidas-ScarletWhiteBlack-Seeley-Skate-Shoe.jpeg

Hm...

On 3/6/2019 at 2:39 PM, Tracker_TD said:

Looks around

No? Nobody? Alright...

D0_WfvjXQAAs1X0.jpg

Here's what TSSZ have apparently verified as another shot from the movie. It looks... well. 

Sonic Want Honeycomb

I like how they got Ponies or whatever in the upper right for reference.

On 3/6/2019 at 4:21 PM, Tarnish said:

I'm just laughing my ass off at this point.

Yeah, I know right? It's kinda hard not too at this point.

13 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I like how they got Ponies or whatever in the upper right for reference.

Uh.. that's a completely different show. It's from Nick Jr. (which is owned by Viacom, Paramount's parent company.)

I know, I posted this response before, but it was deleted. So, I’m going to show what did he say when he responded to the movie Amy drawing.:

• Thumbs Up 2