Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

1 hour ago, Dr Ryan said:

We didn't know a think about Detective Pikachu until recently. No one knows anything about Terminator 6 yet (out before Sonic) or Star Wars really. It's pretty standard practice.

Yea but we had a detective trailer early November

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Dr Ryan said:

Baby Sonic is probably an attempt to shift shit loads of merch. Like they did with Baby Groot or something.

Bingo!

You hit the nail on the head. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Yea but we had a detective trailer early November

That's coming out in two months though.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Dr. Finitevus was created by Karl Bollers.

And Warp Rings were inspired by the Special Stage Rings from Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Yeah I knew Finitevus wasn't a Penders creation but with how he tried to play the whole creators' rights angle despite his mistreatment of his fellow writers and that he also got his hands on 'Evil' Sonic I could easily see Penders using the Warp Rings to try to get legal action taking against the movie, especially now with the current perspective being that this movie is taking inspiration from things like the Sonic Bible and other early American Sonic tropes. It just seems like the perfect opportunity for Penders to make a further ass of himself while trying to also make an ass of everyone else he worked with. Hopefully that won't happen as Sonic doesn't need more legal troubles with Penders because of Archie, though it would be comical if it happened in its own way since outside of BOOM! almost everything American based for Sonic always seems to come back to Penders. Now if only I could tell at that point if my tears would from laughter or despair...

• Absolutely 1

3 minutes ago, Demondeano18 said:

I'm not familiar with this penders guy but shit, guy sounds like an absolute prick

It's a long read but you should check out the Penders topic here if you really want to see just how messed up and generally hated the man is. I won't go into it more than that here though simply because talking about Penders could derail this topic as much as a Shadow discussion could.

• Thumbs Up 1

So the Sonic panel is on Saturday, right? I wonder if we will get a 5-10 second tease if we are indeed getting a trailer during the panel?

• Thumbs Up 1

The most amazing thing is that the baby Sonic doll is a talking one. What it's going to say? "Gotta goo goo dah dah fast"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3
  • Absolutely 1

5 minutes ago, Jango said:

The most amazing thing is that the baby Sonic doll is a talking one. What it's going to say? "Gotta goo goo dah dah fast"

Probably. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

I shudder to think what design Sonic's baby form might look like, considering how horrible is current form is. Worse is probably what that one hedgehog baby bot from Sonic Underground looks like in live action:

Spoiler

tumblr_ne9y9aOeC61sxudx7o1_500.png

*Screams and stabs eyeballs from their sockets.

• Thumbs Up 2

New Aladdin trailer. I just wonder... with so many great movies this year, why can't Sonic get a good live-action thing as well? What's so hard to make about it? 

I know it would still get a lot of flak if it was playing by the books and give us a an actual adaptation of a game, it would have been called dull, boring, but you know what, I would rather have that. I kinda wished this movie to be wild and crazy, but crazy-positive.

ToysWiz seem to have taken down the Sonic Movie Toy section in their website. Looks like they might have revealed something they shouldn't have. Like the fact that baby sonic is a thing I guess...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

6 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

New Aladdin trailer. I just wonder... with so many great movies this year, why can't Sonic get a good live-action thing as well? What's so hard to make about it? 

Aladdin, Jafar, Jasmine and most characters are human in the cartoon and the live-action. Only the genie is the odd-one out. And I'm still not digging Will Smith as genie. So it's really not the same.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

5 hours ago, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

ToysWiz seem to have taken down the Sonic Movie Toy section in their website. Looks like they might have revealed something they shouldn't have. Like the fact that baby sonic is a thing I guess...

Called it.  They obviously weren't supposed to put it up.

21 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Called it.  They obviously weren't supposed to put it up.

Hide contents

Supposedly from the Reddit leak is that there is no CHaos emeralds.  I think that's too big a thing that they could've easily removed the scenes revolving around it and have the test screening still make sense.

Well, maybe for the sequel. What is Sonic's goal in this film? I heard that the warp ring was given to him when he came to Earth and that the one he punched Robotnik into was the one meant for him in case someone discovered he was on Earth. This certainly sounds like Sonic was sent to Earth for a reason and for refuge. Like something bad was happening to his world

5 hours ago, Demondeano18 said:

Unpopular opinion but I prefer the name Dr Robotnik, sounds badass.

Supposing I believed this, I've never understood why this was a good reason for keeping the name.

Spoiler

latest?cb=20120214162933

latest?cb=20120214162454

How is this guy supposed to be a "badass" exactly?

• Thumbs Up 4

38 minutes ago, andrewtuell1991 said:

How is this guy supposed to be a "badass" exactly?

I believe it's called Toning.

That's not what it's actually called, but yeah.

It always depends on Tone.

It's been long enough that it's an entirely moot point (personally, I grew up with the Eggman name), but sometimes I wonder if it would have been best if his name stayed Robotnik in the west. I mean, King Koopa's still Bowser, Rockman is Megaman, Satoshi's still Ash Ketchum.. 

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

But Princess Peach is not still Princess Toadstool.

...Really?

peach.jpg

20 minutes ago, SKSpawn said:

...Really?

peach.jpg

Princess Peach Toadstool, Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik.. the ol' compromise and then never mention the forbidden name again tactic

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 2

7 hours ago, Demondeano18 said:

In the words of Patrick Casey...everybody relax, movies probably gunna be fine.

Woah, somebody working on the movie is saying that? Holy hell, if that doesn't show us I don't know what will.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Demondeano18

I also don't see how that guy is "menacing" (the other word that gets brought up)...

7 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

It also explains the inspirations to the Sonic Bible, which has been defunct since the moment it walked out of the door. It also explains why they're leaving what it actually the Sonic franchise in the dust for a mere apparition of a long abandoned version of the Sonic franchise.

They're not making a Sonic movie. They're making an American Sonic movie.

Not even Sonic Boom was like this, because that was acting as an extension of the existing franchise. It's a bold move, but not one that I see working; like Disney destroying the Star Wars EU that Lucasfilms made, only to leave behind a cheap imitation that does not reflect what it is meant to be.

I finally understand this movie. Now I'm apathetic to it. If new fans come to Sonic through this movie, what will they expect to see? And for that matter, this film will firmly plant misconceptions that the franchise still can't seem to shake off, like Eggman being Dr Robotnik (a name that Eggman only ever had in western localisations, despite still having the egg theme) and completely foregoing the 'Eggman' name.

No longer is it a poor adaptation, but it's an adaptation of the wrong thing entirely.

Assuming these rumors are true, it baffles me.  The Sonic Bible is literally THE last thing I ever expected the franchise to revisit.  It was discarded almost immediately by its country of origin in favor of a 2nd Sonic Bible which became the basis for SatAM and the Archie comics.  Only European fans would have any real nostalgic attachment to that old backstory through the Fleetway comics and even that left out details like orphan Sonic, dead father, and other tidbits.  Like you keep asking, "Why now?".

How closely is Sega of America working with Paramount on this film?  The only thing I can think of is some conspiracy theory of a long-time employee who worked on the Sonic Bible being angry that SoJ has ignored the western half of Sonic for so long and finally got an opportunity for revenge by sneaking fragments of the old continuity into the movie under the radar.  I got nothing else.

I find it weird and odd that if the plot was based on a old forgotten book.  I'm mean, why they choose to based on that? They could take some inspiration from some of the plots from various Sonic games like Sonic Adventure.