Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I don't think I will be able to watch Sonic run super fast while being realistic. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I don't think I will be able to watch Sonic run super fast while being realistic. 

I find it weird that they're going to be using motion capture for this character's animations. Also epic profile picture!

4 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I find it weird that they're going to be using motion capture for this character's animations. Also epic profile picture!

They want it to look natural. They'll probably use key frame animation too

Good point, I'd hate them to use Sonic's iconic wheel-o'-feet look from the games.  It would completely shatter my suspension of disbelief in a supersonic anthropomorphic blue hedgehog if a video game character were to look like a video game character.

Better update my list:

Realistic

Running at the speed of sound
Hedgehogs with human proportions from the neck down and cartoon proportions from the neck up
Magical rings that can teleport you through time and space

Unrealistic

Gloves
Scientists wearing a colour that isn't monochrome
A Sonic movie aimed at Sonic's primary audience of children

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 8

33 minutes ago, FFWF said:

Hedgehogs with human proportions from the neck down and cartoon proportions from the neck up

You forgot the BLUE part: BLUE hedgehogs with human proportions from the neck down and cartoon proportions from the neck up. We all know brown hedgehogs with human proportions from the neck down and cartoon proportions from the neck up are very unrealistic, but if you make them blue they become totally acceptable in the real world.

• Chuckle 6

Btw, since we now know Sonic's shoes are just gonna be a generic real world shoe, I wonder if such a generic real world shoe could actually withstand the abuse from running at the speed of sound.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

29 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Btw, since we now know Sonic's shoes are just gonna be a generic real world shoe, I wonder if such a generic real world shoe could actually withstand the abuse from running at the speed of sound.

I don't think Sonic IS going to run at the speed of sound. Miller talked about putting 'limits' on his speed to make it more 'grounded' and 'realistic'

• My Emmerdoods 1

4 minutes ago, Myst said:

I don't think Sonic IS going to run at the speed of sound. Miller talked about putting 'limits' on his speed to make it more 'grounded' and 'realistic'

On one hand, that's fair because nothing in the real world could ever catch a creature who could just move around at the speed of sound, making all those car chase scenes end before they even begin.

On the other hand, it just makes me ask once again: "Why bother using Sonic if it's barely gonna have anything to do with the source material?".

"My name is Sonic, Sonic the hedgehog!"
"Wow, awesome! Because you have supersonic speed?"
"Actually, no.."

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 3
  • Absolutely 1

3 hours ago, Tarnish said:

"My name is Sonic, Sonic the hedgehog!"
"Wow, awesome! Because you have supersonic speed?"
"Actually, no.."

"I'm Shadow, Shadow the Hedgehog"

"Oh!  Are you dark and broody and stuff."

"No!  I love kitties and rainbows and cupcakes and puppies and knitting and friendship and..."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 5

Yeah, the things the production team worry about being realistic with versus what they totally disregard does leave me wondering. Nothing seemingly says realistic like cartoon character striped of everything that made him iconic because as long as a cartoon character doesn't have any cartoon traits they are suddenly realistic. Also have to make sure to deprive them of their signature abilities as well to make them more grounded and realistic.

Honestly, at my most pessimistic with this film I feel like instead of Sonic the Hedgehog they should have just had a kid nicknamed 'Sonic' because he was the fastest kid on the track team. From there just make him Tom the Cop's son and have them go on a family road trip to San Francisco so Tom can see the city he believes he's good enough to be a cop in and have them get embroiled in a domestic terrorist plot and save the day to show that Tom has what it takes. At least if you did it that way you wouldn't be constantly asking what do they have to take away from Sonic the Hedgehog to make him fit the studio's vision and it frankly sounds like a far more believable film that can work on its own and take advantage of the directors and producers in question no less the live action setting. In short, at my most pessimistic everything I've heard about this movie would work better if you just divorced the Sonic franchise from it instead divorcing Sonic from his franchise and making a movie about that.

• Thumbs Up 5

33 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

"I'm Shadow, SHadow the Hedgehog"

"Oh!  Are you dark and broody and stuff."

"No!  I love kitties and rainbows and cupcakes and puppies and knitting and friendship and..."

The best would be:
"Hi, I'm Tails!"
"Because you have 2 tails?"
"What? No, that would be unrealistic.."
"THEN WHY THE HELL WOULD THEY CALL YOU THAT?!"

• Chuckle 5

8 hours ago, FFWF said:

Good point, I'd hate them to use Sonic's iconic wheel-o'-feet look from the games.  It would completely shatter my suspension of disbelief in a supersonic anthropomorphic blue hedgehog if a video game character were to look like a video game character.

Better update my list:

Realistic

Running at the speed of sound
Magical rings that can teleport you through time and space

Unrealistic

Gloves
Scientists wearing a colour that isn't monochrome
A Sonic movie aimed at Sonic's primary audience of children

I would make the argument this film will be targed towards children. They are just taking the most bland , bargin bin unfitting approach

Well, no movie news at SXSW unfortunately. However there was a girl who had a podcast about the movie asked about the movie, the leaks, and ways to preventing them. Aaron respond that the question she asked was a very deep question and that because the movie is movie related, so they can’t commented on the movie at the panel. The speakers laughed, as she finished asking the question.

Anyway, I was lower expectations for the movie trailer shown there. I was kinda expecting the no comment answer on the movie. So, I was right.

So, maybe the trailer will be shown at the KCA? 

• Thumbs Up 2

Nope! Like I said again and again and again and again and yesterday...it'll release at the same time as Detective Pikachu.

It just makes too much sense.

On 3/17/2019 at 6:28 AM, Gamecuber64 said:

Nope! Like I said again and again and again and again and yesterday...it'll release at the same time as Detective Pikachu.

It just makes too much sense.

Just because it makes sense, doesn't mean that it is guaranteed.

The buzz of Detective Pikachu would overshadow the trailer, though, so maybe not the best.

• Thumbs Up 4

Also, there is going to be a Mad Libs based on the movie.:

https://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Hedgehog-Official-Movie-Libs/dp/0593093046/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?keywords=sonic&qid=1552929637&rnid=2941120011&s=books&sr=1-5&tag=sonicstadium-20

For those that don't know what Mad Libs are, it is a phrasal template word game where one player prompts others for a list of words to substitute for blanks in a story, before reading the  story aloud. The game is usually played as a party game or as a pastime. Here is one for example.:

Spoiler

logo_8_2.jpg

It's not the first time that Sonic is getting a Mad Libs.:

Spoiler

Spoiler

DWPvWHbX4AAooYK.jpg

Spoiler

DXoM7hJU0AAqulz.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

Just because it makes sense, doesn't mean that it is guaranteed.

The buzz of Detective Pikachu would overshadow the trailer, though, so maybe not the best.

Yeah, I guess. But Detective Pikachu is another video game movie, and it comes out in May. Trailers for films don't typically release until 6 months before release. I doubt we're getting a trailer during the KCA because that would just be too early. And knowing Nickelodeon, I doubt that they would advertise this film at all. I agree that the Detective Pikachu film could overshadow Sonic (like how Deadpool 2 overshadowed The Happytime Murders thankfully), but advertisers will usually look at this stuff and think it'd be a perfect opportunity.

I will say however, considering that all this merch is already showing up on shopping sites, it's a clear sign that we're getting a trailer in a couple of months (sometime before August to be exact). And I think that also proves that May will be the month because films don't release merch until at least 3 months before the film comes out either (unless it's a giant movie like Star Wars or a Hasbro film).

9 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

What if the book attempts to visualise Sonic via words?

Maybe they won't do it via words, but an actual "visual" on the cover, with a movie design. This will be a deal breaker.