Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Just look up the novel author's previous work, it's appear that he did actually work on some Sonic stuff before.:

Spoiler

fullpage.do?pContentType=JPG&pName=fullpage&pISBN=9781524787318&pPageID=5

maxresdefault.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

I just... I feel like Sonic is about to make a huge comeback. People are going to be drenched in Sonic stuff. I really hope this movie can do what it needs to do for the brand

Hey yo! I know we just all shat on Dreamcastguy (hell I was one of those people), but he made a new video going more in depth on the trailer he watched. He's also saying it looks good. He said he made that tweet shitting on it just as a laugh (which admittedly makes me question his credibility but eh):

So what I'm getting here based on his description and the leaked test screening description:

If you're expecting this movie to be exactly like Sonic, have the same tone as the games, etc. you're probably going to be disappointed.

The Sonic movie is going to be an action comedy buddy-cop duo (like I predicted) with a similar tone to that of a Marvel movie or something like Who Framed Roger Rabbit (I'm using that as an analogy. Not that it's EXACTLY like who framed Roger Rabbit). It appears to be an origin story slightly based off of the first game.

Also, just a tiny personal prediction but...I don't think Sonic is actually going to be a juvenile delinquent. I think Sonic and Tom are just teaming up to save the city and stop crime.

According to Dreamcastguy, the design looks better when it's in full motion rather than a still image (again, like I fucking predicted when everyone was flipping out over the leaked prototype designs lmao).

If you're willing to accept that this isn't going to feel EXACTLY like Sonic (which is what any adaptation of anything should do. You should EXPAND on material and do something new and different with it like what Marvel does. And I mean that in terms of story and concepts, not necessarily design changes. And not always keep things EXACTLY the same like what Ratchet & Clank did and poorly executed), I can see this being a funny enjoyable action film that audiences can enjoy.

But again... that's just me taking Dreamcastguy and the test screening leaker's word for it. This movie could also be just as disgusting as the first Mario film.

Here is the book publisher website that listed all the Sonic books including the Mad Libs for the movie and the movie novel. This seem to confirmed that there will be books based on the film.:

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/series/SO2/sonic-the-hedgehog/

Also, here is the link to all of the author's works. The only non-Sonic book that he did was a book based on a Cartoon Network show The Amazing World of Gumball.:

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/authors/2136316/kiel-phegley

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Hey yo! I know we just all shat on Dreamcastguy (hell I was one of those people), but he made a new video going more in depth on the trailer he watched. He's also saying it looks good. He said he made that tweet shitting on it just as a laugh (which admittedly makes me question his credibility but eh):

So what I'm getting here based on his description and the leaked test screening description:

If you're expecting this movie to be exactly like Sonic, have the same tone as the games, etc. you're probably going to be disappointed.

The Sonic movie is going to be an action comedy buddy-cop duo (like I predicted) with a similar tone to that of a Marvel movie or something like Who Framed Roger Rabbit (I'm using that as an analogy. Not that it's EXACTLY like who framed Roger Rabbit). It appears to be an origin story slightly based off of the first game.

Also, just a tiny personal prediction but...I don't think Sonic is actually going to be a juvenile delinquent. I think Sonic and Tom are just teaming up to save the city and stop crime.

According to Dreamcastguy, the design looks better when it's in full motion rather than a still image (again, like I fucking predicted when everyone was flipping out over the leaked prototype designs lmao).

If you're willing to accept that this isn't going to feel EXACTLY like Sonic (which is what any adaptation of anything should do. You should EXPAND on material and do something new and different with it like what Marvel does. And I mean that in terms of story and concepts, not necessarily design changes. And not always keep things EXACTLY the same like what Ratchet & Clank did and poorly executed), I can see this being a funny enjoyable action film that audiences can enjoy.

But again... that's just me taking Dreamcastguy and the test screening leaker's word for it. This movie could also be just as disgusting as the first Mario film.

I'm really disappointed that its not like the games. Stuff like Lego Batman and Into the Spiderverse show that you can do a cinematic adaptation of an existing property but still show lots of love to the source material. I'm not seeing much love to the lore of Sonic so far. 

But I hope it will be good.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

21 minutes ago, Myst said:

I'm really disappointed that its not like the games. Stuff like Lego Batman and Into the Spiderverse show that you can do a cinematic adaptation of an existing property but still show lots of love to the source material. I'm not seeing much love to the lore of Sonic so far. 

But I hope it will be good.

I wouldn't say LEGO Batman and Spider-Verse are EXACTLY like their original source material (especially since both those franchises have multiple different versions of them just like Sonic). They mainly have a lot of self aware humor like Sonic Boom. Spider-Verse follows the same story as the comics I assume, but it isn't 100% true. What I'm trying to get at is that you guys need to expect this to be a completely new FILM. An adaptation. Just like MCU which isn't EXACTLY like the original comics but still enjoyable because it expands upon them in its own unique and original way. Like this isn't just going to be some long cutscene and Sonic isn't going to be saying corny catchphrases. He's probably going to talk like a person and use dialect like an actual person. Now that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't still snarky or witty. Just potentially means his dialogue is more realistic rather than overly cartoony, which wouldn't work for a live action setting. It's a good thing imo.

I'd like to see a Spider-Verse Sonic too, but I think the main reason why that film worked was also because of how iconic Spidey's franchise is. Most people are aware of the origins and backstories to Spider-Man and Batman because they're told constantly in new movies, shows, and anime. So most of the audience is already aware of the lore in those franchises.

The Sonic The Hedgehog lore isn't iconic enough for a movie like Spider-Verse. It would need more recognition from outside sources to reach everyone. Like...(I don't know), a movie.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, Alexios31 said:

We need make a list of all the movie merchandise so we can keep track of it all. 

Got it covered for you.

Toy Factory - Link

Penguin Random House - Link

Jakks Pacific - Link

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Way Past Cool 1

11 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I'd like to see a Spider-Verse Sonic too, but I think the main reason why that film worked was also because of how iconic Spidey's franchise is. Most people are aware of the origins and backstories to Spider-Man and Batman because they're told constantly in new movies, shows, and anime. So most of the audience is already aware of the lore in those franchises.

The Sonic The Hedgehog lore isn't iconic enough for a movie like Spider-Verse. It would need more recognition from outside sources to reach everyone. Like...(I don't know), a movie.

Fair point.

Though it would've been nice to see a red biplane on set, or perhaps some Green Hill Zone style tiki totems near the city limits sign, or some G.U.N boxes. From what we know already, There's so many little things they could cram into the story as a clever wink to fans. A park called 'Hill Top' a jazz club called 'Star Light' lounge. Remastered music from the games.

The fact that Dreamcastguy says Sonic does none of the classic poses is also a disappointment. No finger wagging? Come on!

I'm still excited for the movie regardless.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

and he had these marvelous long, healthy, supple, strong, cool and lickable human-like legs."

Too Many Rings

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Myst said:

Fair point.

Though it would've been nice to see a red biplane on set, or perhaps some Green Hill Zone style tiki totems near the city limits sign, or some G.U.N boxes. From what we know already, There's so many little things they could cram into the story as a clever wink to fans. A park called 'Hill Top' a jazz club called 'Star Light' lounge. Remastered music from the games.

The fact that Dreamcastguy says Sonic does none of the classic poses is also a disappointment. No finger wagging? Come on!

I'm still excited for the movie regardless.

I mean this is a trailer, and, it doesn’t show the full movie. He say that Dr. Robotnik (Dr. Eggman) doesn’t appear in the trailer. I think it’s possible he might be doing some of his iconic poses in the full movie. The Fast and Furious producer did say that we will find some Easter eggs, back in the December interview with IGN.

"I think the audience can expect to find some Easter eggs. We don't want to reveal any of that stuff, but I think there will be some very exciting things that fans of Sonic will get to see in this movie."

• Thumbs Up 1

Paramount now moved the release date for Terminator 6, which is now called Terminator: Dark Fate to Nov. 1st, which it is a few days before the Sonic Movie is released. 

https://deadline.com/2019/03/terminator-dark-fate-new-terminator-title-1202578246/

BTW, the upcoming Terminator movie is being directed by Tim Miller, who is the executive producer of the Sonic Movie.

Please keep in mind and just to let you know, that Tim and his partner, Jeff Fowler, who is the director of the movie, did meet with Aaron and Iizuka, back in January about the fan feedback.:

So, anyway, what do you think about the new Terminator film coming up the same month as the Sonic movie? How much impact do you think it could affect the movie?

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Rabid-Coot said:

They didn't move it, untitled terminator had been in that slot for ages.

Oh, ok, oops. My bad. I thought they changed the date again. Thanks for correcting that. BTW, just to let you know that the untitled Terminator film had been officially called Terminator: Dark Fate.

Anyway, I wonder how this could affect the Sonic movie, since they are both distributed by the same studio. 

18 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I wouldn't say LEGO Batman and Spider-Verse are EXACTLY like their original source material (especially since both those franchises have multiple different versions of them just like Sonic). They mainly have a lot of self aware humor like Sonic Boom. Spider-Verse follows the same story as the comics I assume, but it isn't 100% true. What I'm trying to get at is that you guys need to expect this to be a completely new FILM. An adaptation. Just like MCU which isn't EXACTLY like the original comics but still enjoyable because it expands upon them in its own unique and original way. Like this isn't just going to be some long cutscene and Sonic isn't going to be saying corny catchphrases. He's probably going to talk like a person and use dialect like an actual person. Now that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't still snarky or witty. Just potentially means his dialogue is more realistic rather than overly cartoony, which wouldn't work for a live action setting. It's a good thing imo.

While you provide an interesting argument here the weak link in your comparisons lie in how the source material is referenced/used. For Spider-Verse and most of the MCU even with what changes do occur you can tell that everything is still being adapted from the source material if you are even somewhat familiar with it whereas Sonic isn't doing so at all. We've ben told that the only allusions to the source material will be in Easter Eggs. Now that isn't inherently a flaw for the storytellers telling their own take on the character (I mean fanfic writers do it all the time) but is a flaw for creating brand awareness as the average non-fan movie goer is not going to recognize that those are Easter Eggs and that they should look them up to learn about what they are referencing. To them it's just a part of the movie and that's all. It's not worth a second thought and that doesn't really create strong brand synergy or awareness.

To put it another way, Spider-Verse and the MCU (and most DC adaptions as well) build their stories and worlds by reshaping the source material to support their story whereas the Sonic movie is discarding the source material to build it's world. Even Sonic X didn't go that far and still mostly took from and adapted from the games. That lack of faith in the source material to build their story from by tweaking and shaping it is part of what makes the movie look unfavorable to a number of us.

• Thumbs Up 5

Unrelated, but I believe the same studio doing the animation for this movie are working on this for netflix.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, TrailerTrack expect the first trailer to be released around May.

Here is SegaBits’ reaction to the test screening leak.:

Hate to say this but, it’s doesn’t sound like the trailer will be shown at KCA this Saturday. It seem that instead another Paramount movie, Dora the Explorer (Weird and WTF?) will have its cast there and probably most likely have its trailer shown there.

I guess it’s safe to say that the trailer could drop at anytime and any day.

• Thumbs Up 1

The KCA is filled with odd decisions this year. Showing the Dora the Explorer trailer while in the same show, having The Walking Dead as a nominee?

Unless there was some gritty reboot of the KCA in the last 10 years since I watched it, or hell, maybe Dora is getting the gritty reboot treatment.

30 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

...Dora the Explorer? Uhh weird 

Yeah, the movie is set to be released on August, which is a few months before the Sonic movie is released. This was announced back in October 2017. I remember people did talk about this on this website a while ago. People thought Michael Bay (Transformers and Bad Boys) was going to direct this film, but he stated this that he is not directing the movie. Instead, the movie is being directed by James Bobin (The Muppets and Alice Through The Looking Glass). The movie is filmed in Australia. Isabela Moner  who played the girl from the last Transformers movie will played Dora for the movie. This is how she looked like as Dora, if you are curious.:

Spoiler

MV5BNDlmNGYxYzAtODczMy00MzgxLTk2MWQtZTk3MDdjY2IwYzdiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc3MDA0ODE@._V1_.jpg

Also, Benicio del Toro (Sicario and Guardians of the Galaxy) will voiced Swiper for the movie. This feel pretty weird and odd. Isn't it?

I guess CollegeHumor did actually predict this a while ago. Lol.:

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

• Way Past Cool 1

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Yeah, the movie is set to be released on August, which is a few months before the Sonic movie is released. This was announced back in October 2017. I remember people did talk about this on this website a while ago. People thought Michael Bay (Transformers and Bad Boys) was going to direct this film, but he stated this that he is not directing the movie. Instead, the movie is being directed by James Bobin (The Muppets and Alice Through The Looking Glass). The movie is filmed in Australia. Isabela Moner  who played the girl from the last Transformers movie will played Dora for the movie. This is how she looked like as Dora, if you are curious.:

Reveal hidden contents

MV5BNDlmNGYxYzAtODczMy00MzgxLTk2MWQtZTk3MDdjY2IwYzdiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc3MDA0ODE@._V1_.jpg

Also, Benicio del Toro (Sicario and Guardians of the Galaxy) will voiced Swiper for the movie. This feel pretty weird and odd. Isn't it?

I guess CollegeHumor did actually predict this a while ago. Lol.:

Reveal hidden contents

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm so seeing this movie!